• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ahsoka Teaser Trailer - ‘I started hearing whispers of Thrawn’s return as heir to the Empire’

DKehoe

"As heir to the Empire"

Dp4wAeWU4AAsXFb.jpg

Stitch

Gold Member
Holy shit, I didn't think they would just show Sabine, Ezra, Hera, Chopper and motherfucking Thrawn in the Teaser.
And Zeb showed up in Mando for some reason

Kev Kev

God damn! LFG with the SW news today. That trailer is fucking fire. I guess it's time for me to finally watch The Clone Wars series. It's taken a little time for Disney to get their footing, but they are really starting to break stride now.

I thought Disney wasn't going to pander to the old fanbase and that 'There's no source material'?

Anyways, pretty solid trailer. Hopefully this can put Star Wars back on track after the disappointment that is Mandalorian S3.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Not enough males. Even though these characters were the main ones from the toon.
How many is enough? In the context of the Star Wars universe a lot of what I saw seemed natural to me. Ashoka being a powerful main lead has credibility considering she was raised from a child in the ways of the Jedi and had very powerful masters to learn from.

It's not like Rey who was a total Mary Sue who went from scavenger with no connection to the force to the most powerful Jedi ever who could defeat two Sith lords who had been practicing for much longer, including Palpatine. Not even Luke Skywalker could do that. Plus there were several examples in the original trilogy and Star Wars lore of women playing pivotal roles in the story.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
That looks damned good fro a visual and action standpoint. Sadly I have no idea who most of those characters are.

Trilobit

Gold Member

Anyways, on topic, I'd say that this looks pretty good and I'm hesitantly hopeful. The later parts of Rebels were pretty good so hopefully this expands on that. I'm not really happy about how every show needs to connect with other shows or legacy characters all the time. In that respect Mandalorian season 1 was very enjoyable to me.

The actress for Ahsoka isn't really doing anything for me. She's good in the stoic and thoughtful jedi parts, but not where she's required to be more physical. She doesn't have the action energy that for example Sarah Shahi in Person of Interest had. I wish they had chosen a more athletic actress for the role.

The music was pretty good too.

Last edited:

March Climber

Gold Member
No Star Wars movies.
No Star Wars TV Shows.
No Marvel movies.
No Marvel TV Shows.
Disney going bankrupt.
The last 15 years of Disney being erased from history.
This post is just as much fanfiction as the people who want Marvel and Star Wars to crossover.

LQX

Warms my heart to see Chopper. Also, I was wondering why Hera looked so old but it makes sense given that this is likely years after.

Elysion

Banned
I know it‘s just a trailer, but that felt like a bit too much estrogen for me. Thrawn is great and all, and that old Sith guy looks cool too, but I need some heroic dudes in my space fantasy, especially when the female protagonist seems to have the charisma of a wet blanket. Seriously, life action Ahsoka sucks balls from what I‘ve seen so far. The fact that she just looks like a human in an orange rubber suit doesn’t help either. And while the costumes for most of the humanoid aliens in Star Wars have always looked cheap and fake, none of them have ever been protagonists before.

Btw, what are the chances that Cal Kestis from Fallen Order will appear in this, even if only in a short scene? This takes place five years after RotJ, the same as Fallen Order iirc. Or maybe Ahsoka appears in Jedi Survivor? I remember seeing some Star Wars youtubers speculating that there might be some crossover happening in this regard.

Last edited:

HoodWinked

A good trailer, make not a good show.

Mando S3 had one of the best trailers and has been the worst season so far. Andor had the worst and is their best show.

Last edited:

Ballthyrm

I don't wanna be that guy.

I am not that guy.

But... this looks like a feminist version of Star Wars.

If you knew the characters a little more, you wouldn't be saying that. Clone wars characters have actual depth and growth, even Sabine who's a Rebels character has some good story lines.

The team of writers on the animated shows have written some of the best content out there. I don't know if they are the same on the live action show but so far these aren't the "strong female character" ™

If this show is half as good as the last Season of clone wars it will still be better than the mandalorian.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Five years after ROTJ?

I'll be honest. Beside the films, I haven't really been into this Disney era of Star Wars. That being said, I find it hard to grasp that all these Jedi or "grey" force users were running around during the OT. It just dilutes the whole OT story knowing Luke wasn't the only Jedi (not including Yoda and Leia), not to mention makes the galaxy look seem really small.

I wonder what legacy characters they'll shoehorn into this show to get the fans throbbing? Ashoka fights Vader again for one episode? Ashoka bangs Han Solo? Ashoka meets Obi-Wan while Yoda appears in the background as a force ghost and winks to the camera for shits and giggles?

Disney should have grown some balls and told completely new stories set in a completely new era.

Last edited:

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Kanan is dead. Zeb was just in The Mandalorian. Both Ezra and Thrawn were shown in he trailer along with that new Sith guy.
Where is Ezra? *edit* nvm...he is the in the holo vid.

he is still in some unknown area of the universe/galaxy/mega-verse with space whales & octopi

Mando and this seem like just a reimaging of the Thrawn trilogy. Just swapping out Luke for Grogu/Ahsoka. I am assuming the new sith is the clone of C'baoth. **EDIT** NVM...apparently that is the Valen person. Booo

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I want to love Star Wars, but Disney makes it very, very hard to love Star Wars. Rebels was a remarkable step down compared to Clone Wars. Rogue One was the only good film they made, Mandalorian and Andor are teh only two good shows they have made.

Obi-Wan, Resistance, Bad Batch, Book of Boba Fett, Solo, The Sequel Trilogy - all were fucking terrible or could have been good, but were ruined because some fuckwit tried to use the film as their personal wank project and to virtue signal.

Dear Disney: Get your head out of your fucking asses and make something good, consistently again.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
So, they say they're not going to do any of the expanded universe stuff - which was excellent and would have made great movies. But now they are using the expanded universe stuff with the wrong characters. How much better would things have been if they'd just realised that the best things to make are the things that they know the fanbase like?

Has anything really been good since Disney took over Star Wars, other than maybe season 1 of Mando? Has any of it been better than what the EU came up with?

CGNoire

So, they say they're not going to do any of the expanded universe stuff - which was excellent and would have made great movies. But now they are using the expanded universe stuff with the wrong characters. How much better would things have been if they'd just realised that the best things to make are the things that they know the fanbase like?

Has anything really been good since Disney took over Star Wars, other than maybe season 1 of Mando? Has any of it been better than what the EU came up with?
Andor is awesone.....but most of there content has honestly been dogshit.

pramod

Banned

No matter what they come up with, its just hard to care when you know it all leads up to somehow, Palpatine returning anyway. And Luke drinking green milk and dying of exhaustion. And Rey.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Andor is awesone.....but most of there content has honestly been dogshit.

Not watched it, but seems to be the general consensus that it's good. Probably because it's completely divorced from the rest of the shitshow story they've been making, and they were allowed to just do what they wanted with it.

CGNoire

Not watched it, but seems to be the general consensus that it's good. Probably because it's completely divorced from the rest of the shitshow story they've been making, and they were allowed to just do what they wanted with it.
Its cause it has unusual high quality writing even bye old school Disney standards.
Because of that I wouldnt hold my breath on S2 being as good since writing like that cant just be conjured up on the fly just cause Andor turned out to be an "unexspected" hit.

This is the shit that kills me. They threw out the EU and Kathleen Kennedy stated they have no source material to follow unlike Marvel with the comics. Yet, they are constantly poaching EU content........the handling of this IP is so goddamn frustrating.

I'm actually cool with how they're adapting Heir to the Empire in this case because the OT actors are too old now (Carrie Fisher RIP). Sure, it would've been nice if they did this instead of the sequel trilogy but that's water under the bridge.

BlackTron

Gold Member
'Heir to the Empire' is what Disney should have done for 7,8,9.
But now we are going to get a streaming show of inconsistent quality instead. Just like how Obi-Wan and Boba Fett would have been better as their original movie ideas. The most frustrating thing about the ST is that its failure continues to create ripples that ruin all of SW which constantly remind me of how much I resent it.

BlackTron

Gold Member
Nah bro. Lizzo trilogy.

(Yes I stole your meme)

Why stop at trilogy, why not make it a whole saga? Fans are demanding to leave the Skywalker business behind and focus on something else, right? Unless, they wanna just keep extending the Skywalker Saga forever by changing last names. Lizzo Skywalker?

'Heir to the Empire' is what Disney should have done for 7,8,9.
I cannot like this post enough.

Zahn literally gave Disney and Lucas a layup story that fans love and adore. And even if the ending were already known, joy would come from seeing it translated to the screen, and Star Wars fans not aware of Heir would see something new and well written. Instead we got the garbage of the recent trilogy shat all over our screens. Absolute shambolic.

Top Bottom