• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AI lawyer chatbot successfully contests 160000 parking tickets in London and NYC

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
https://www.theguardian.com/technol...wyer-donotpay-parking-tickets-london-new-york

An artificial-intelligence lawyer chatbot has successfully contested 160,000 parking tickets across London and New York for free, showing that chatbots can actually be useful.

Dubbed as “the world’s first robot lawyer” by its 19-year-old creator, London-born second-year Stanford University student Joshua Browder, DoNotPay helps users contest parking tickets in an easy to use chat-like interface.

The program first works out whether an appeal is possible through a series of simple questions, such as were there clearly visible parking signs, and then guides users through the appeals process.

The results speak for themselves. In the 21 months since the free service was launched in London and now New York, Browder says DoNotPay has taken on 250,000 cases and won 160,000, giving it a success rate of 64% appealing over $4m of parking tickets.

“I think the people getting parking tickets are the most vulnerable in society. These people aren’t looking to break the law. I think they’re being exploited as a revenue source by the local government,” Browder told Venture Beat.

The bot was created by the self-taught coder after receiving 30 parking tickets at the age of 18 in and around London. The process for appealing the fines is relatively formulaic and perfectly suits AI, which is able to quickly drill down and give the appropriate advice without charging lawyers fees.

Browder intends to expand DoNotPay to Seattle next. But having started with parking tickets, Browder’s next challenge for the AI lawyer is helping people with flight delay compensation, as well as helping the HIV positive understand their rights and acting as a guide for refugees navigating foreign legal systems.

Bless you, Lawyerbot...
robot.jpg

Valtýr

I recently had a parking ticket because I was too close to a hydrant. I payed it but I wonder if that could have been appealed.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Speculawyer am cry.
I'm kidding, bud

Seriously though this shouldn't even have reached this point if a lot of the stuff is that formulaic.

Very, very interested in his application for helping people understand their rights.

If even half the people in a given place understood and properly applied their own legal and constitutional rights, cops, lawyers and politicians would completely lose their shit.

HUELEN10

Great, more AI unit competition. Just what I N̸̦̣̰͕͉͂͑̀̂̋̿͌͆̚Ë̵̡̧͓̣̩̖̥͙̥̹̾̓̈́̾É̷̡̛͙̰͙͚͓̖͚̗̝̔́͆͂̔͡͝D̢̼̘̦̮̲̲̥̄̓̿̀̈́̓̽͘͟͠Ẹ̴̗͈̹̮̺̔̒̊̏͐̅́͛̚͞D͕̦͎̮͎̪̘͚̱̻̉̊͛̌̆̇̾͆̀.̢̢̮͉̼́̓̑́͒́̉̚̚͢͜ͅ

Nivash

I somewhat suspects that this has more to do with the courts rather dropping cases than fight for pennies against anyone who look like they're prepared to go through with a remotely valid defence, not that the bot itself is actually that competent in law. Still, it definitely gives ordinary people a chance to stand up against the courts where most wouldn't have the time or skill, so good on him.

SRG01

I see this more as a benefit for the law profession. No longer will the courts be held up by small cases when lawyer-bots and AI can handle them.

This also means that more and more people can access the legal system without jumping through hoops or waiting months on end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom