• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AI lawyer chatbot successfully contests 160000 parking tickets in London and NYC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thorgal

Modbot be all like

nKqzQjd.jpg

Reminds me of an idea I had for a app that you could use to interact with police at traffic stops like it was your lawyer representing you.

Fuchsdh

Lawyers are the one thing I'd sincerely love to see replaced by robots. Way to go Lawyerbot.

They already have, to a small but substantial degree, along with globally-sourced and cheaper labor. That's why there are all these underemployed and unemployed lawyers suing their schools for misrepresenting prospects. Automation, the internet, and the like mean you don't need the big staffs of people working cases in the same way, or as many paralegals and such drafting up contracts, et al, and why have expensive Americans or Europeans do it when you can have cheaper Indians?

And as people suggested, you can safely and effectively automate a lot of these sorts of minor interactions and transgressions, although given that thus far contesting tickets has mostly worked just because most people can't be arsed to contest (and the cops or traffic officers can't either) I'm wondering what this means for the sustainability of ticketing as a deterrent.

Onaco

Republicans are shaking at the fear of the "potential loss of jobs" and will stop at nothing to ban this because they're totally looking out for you.

They're truly scared to be losing a source of revenue for them to exploit.

I'm not sure I get how this is a "bot".

How is it any different than Turbotax for parking tickets?
Yeah from the article alone I got the feeling that I don't seeing why this requires a chatbot or AI of any kind from reading that.

It just sounded like you were given a question and you gave an answer.

You don't need AI or a bot to do that. 'Dumb' websites probably exist with step by step instructions already.

However, on visiting the website it looks like you can get advice on a range of subjects, so it needs to be able to digest what you've just asked it.

I guess it is just about presenting information to a user in a nice way that they can easily understand, because it isn't really a lawyer. The information is already out there, and it isn't like it fights for you. Just tells you what you have to do.

Yeah from the article alone I got the feeling that I don't seeing why this requires a chatbot or AI of any kind from reading that.

You don't need AI or a bot to do that. 'Dumb' websites probably exist with step by step instructions already.

However, on visiting the website it looks like you can get advice on a range of subjects, so it needs to be able to digest what you've just asked it.

I guess it is just about presenting information to a user in a nice way that they can easily understand, because it isn't really a lawyer. The information is already out there, and it isn't like it fights for you. Just tells you what you have to do.

Well, a bot does not necessarily mean A.I.

It can be a sort of crawler that navigates and presents relevant information from various sources. Still, a useful one requires a lot of work, especially if it can effectively parse the information from the user to do its searches and present the correct solution.

shoreu

Who the hell is scared of some teenie-bopper Stanford student and his Facebook chatbot? My employment status is just fine, thank you.

Lawyer bot gonna take you out son. Your days are numbered

It's only a matter of time before Tyler realizes your obsolete

But he made it specific to each city's jurisdiction. And reading through that can be difficult and time consuming once you even find the proper sites. Cities don't exactly make it easy to appeal a ticket.

Parking tickets are like a tip jar at those casual fast food places. They still make min wage but why not con an extra buck or two out of the customer for good measure.

riotous

Banned
It automatically posts forms to 2 cities web sites for contesting tickets.

He did so with a chat bot UI.

I mean it's neat and all but I was under the impression a chat bot is a pretty standard CS project these days. Automatically posting to web sites is incredibly basic.

Cool stuff but reported with hyperbole.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom