• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chatbot that overturned 160,000 parking fines now helps refugees

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oersted

The original DoNotPay, created by Stanford student Joshua Browder, describes itself as “the world’s first robot lawyer”, giving free legal aid to users through a simple-to-use chat interface. The chatbot, using Facebook Messenger, can now help refugees fill in an immigration application in the US and Canada. For those in the UK, it helps them apply for asylum support.

The chatbot works by asking the user a series of questions, in order to determine which application the refugee needs to fill out and whether a refugee is eligible for asylum protection under international law.

After this, it takes down the necessary details required for the appropriate asylum application – an I-589 for the United States or a Canadian Asylum Application for Canada. Those in the UK are told they need to apply in person, and the bot helps fill out an ASF1 form for asylum support.

Browder says it was crucial the questions were in plain English. “The language in these forms can be quite complicated,” he said.

These details are used to auto-fill an application form for either the US, Canada or the UK. “Once the form is sent off, the details are deleted from my end,” said Browder.

More here

https://www.theguardian.com/technol...ugees-claim-asylum-legal-aid?CMP=share_btn_tw

Lock if old

Automation is coming folks. If this is something one guy can do, wait until companies figure out how to use money to achieve the same thing.

Vengal

Didn't that one report say lawyers were low on the chopping block for automation? Well chatbot is coming!

Steel

Banned
Automation is coming folks. If this is something one guy can do, wait until companies figure out how to use money to achieve the same thing.

Automation isn't something that happens all at once. It's been happening slowly but surely for the last half-century.

Automation isn't something that happens all at once. It's been happening slowly but surely for the last half-century.

Correct, although it's been happening over the last 10,000 years of recorded history.

I, personally, am dreading the day that our robot overlords help immigrants apply for citizenship.

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos
Correct, although it's been happening over the last 10,000 years of recorded history.

I, personally, am dreading the day that our robot overlords help immigrants apply for citizenship.

And write our foreign and domestic policies and realign our democratic process.

I look forward to it.

I seem to recall Agent Orange wanting to make it nigh impossible for folks challenging deportation to get a lawyer, too. So yeah stepping it up on all fronts is going to be an invaluable public service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom