• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake 2 is digital-only because it gives Remedy "more time to polish"

Draugoth

Gold Member
twitter-allan-wake-reproducao-950x537.jpg

Speaking to Eurogamer at Summer Games Fest earlier this month, Alan Wake 2's creative director Sam Lake and game director Kyle Rowley gave us a little more detail on the reasoning behind going digital-only, explaining that, actually, it was to allow Remedy more time to polish the game to an acceptable level - something publisher Epic Games had also been on board with.
Yeah, it is digital only, and kind of coming to this idea, both from Remedy and Epic's perspective, that's our current thinking. It just felt it makes sense for this, and the timing felt right," Lake explained, before Rowley gave a little more detail. As creatives obviously, by going digital-only it does allow us more time to polish the game," Rowley said. "Like, a significant amount of weeks actually. Because otherwise, the game that goes on the disc, obviously it has to be playable without a patch. We didn't want to release something that we weren't proud of basically, and that we didn't want players to play. So hopefully this way we can give you a better version of the game."

It's a slightly different reason for the one given in the original FAQ, which claimed that keeping to digital would help to keep the price of the game down.

There are many reasons for this," the FAQ said. "For one, a large number of players have shifted to digital only. You can buy a Sony PlayStation 5 without a disc drive and Microsoft's Xbox Series S is a digital only console. It is not uncommon to release modern games as digital-only.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Alan Wake 2 is digital-only because it ̶g̶i̶v̶e̶s̶ ̶R̶e̶m̶e̶d̶y̶ ̶"̶m̶o̶r̶e̶ ̶t̶i̶m̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶p̶o̶l̶i̶s̶h̶"̶ allows Remedy to treat customers as beta-testers.

Your comment literally makes no sense. Games are patched post-release whether they have physical versions or not.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Because you can't release a physical version and work on a Day 1 patch?

Confusion Reaction GIF

Saves them the time of having to work on finishing the gold master disc that absolutely needs to be playable from start to finish, before working on patches.

I can see their point, but I can also see most people not buying it.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
May I provide the Remedy devs with a simple solution? Delay the physical release for a few months till the game is in great shape to be printed on disc. Heck, even Nintendo will be doing that with Pikmin 1+2 physical release, and already done something similar with Metroid Prime Remastered.
Busch Beer GIF by Busch

I wonder if the Epic Games contract had something to do with this. It's rather odd to say the least.

Last edited:

BootsLoader

Banned
I loved the first Alan Wake game and I want to play this too but there is no way I am paying 70$ for digital version. Good luck with your stupid excuses.

JOEVIAL

Has a voluptuous plastic labia
Your game should go gold 3-4 weeks before release. If you need the last 3-4 weeks before a games release for polish... the game should be delayed.

I miss the days when developers held themselves to some sort of standard... the bare minimum used to be release a polished game on disc or cartridge.

Constant updates and tweaks really only became a thing in the late 2000's. I played Alan Wake front to back on XBOX 360 without any patches. It was an incredible experience.

This mentality of "we will fix it after release" is not only bad for the consumers, it's bad for those making the game also for a multitude of reasons. Not the least of which is that it creates a damaging mentality of laziness and complacency.

mrcroket

I will never buy a digital game on console or a game that can't be played without internet because I collect games, and relying on a server to host them or for login will mean that one day I will lose access to them. The vast majority of PS4 (and PS5) games are installable and complete on disc without downloading anything (proven by myself), game that isn't, game I don't buy. I also have a Series X and I make sure that at least the full xbox one version comes on the disc before I buy any games

I have a little over 1000 games, which I have been collecting since the PSX, and playing from time to time for the memory or for my nephews to know the classics. The moment I can no longer collect physical games I will stop buying games (the bullshit that you buy a license is just that, bullshit) and opt for "alternative" ways of "owning" games. I know I'm just a customer and that my act won't influence anything, since gamers nowadays are used to swallow everything (buying half-baked games and overpaying for content that is already developed, broken games, always online, preorders, pay to play online...).

But at least I contribute my grain of sand to continue having control and deciding to have the products as it suits us customers, instead of buying the speech of companies that only care about getting rich, that sell their products to us in the way in which it is more profitable for them while their clients buy their speech like sheep instead of looking out for their own interests.

FeralEcho

Saves them the time of having to work on finishing the gold master disc that absolutely needs to be playable from start to finish, before working on patches.

I can see their point, but I can also see most people not buying it.
Ah yes that extra 1 fucking month îs gonna make such a huge difference between broken and polished...CD Projekt needed more than a year to fix Cyberpunk,an extra month ain't doing shit champ.Maybe just delay the piece of shit instead of coming with such lame excuses.We all know,no more than 1 week after launch Alan Wake 2 will have a fucking patch so fuck you Remedy and your dumb excuses.

Top Bottom