• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake 2 is digital-only because it gives Remedy "more time to polish"

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Cracking Up Lol GIF by Rodney Dangerfield
When I lay it out like that in plain english it really brings home the fact that you're complaining about nothing eh

giphy.gif

mrcroket

When I lay it out like that in plain english it really brings home the fact that you're complaining about nothing eh

giphy.gif
Maybe because your comment is bullshit, it's not just "a piece of plastic", it's not depending on a closed online market (physical games are cheaper because of that), being able to sell/borrow or do whatever you want with the game, not depending on online services (servers sooner or later close) and not needing internet to install it (although many for some reason that I don't know refuses to admit it, physical games, in their great majority, are still complete games playable and installable without internet).

But hey, it's just a piece of plastic... Great argument yours.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Ah yes that extra 1 fucking month îs gonna make such a huge difference between broken and polished...CD Projekt needed more than a year to fix Cyberpunk,an extra month ain't doing shit champ.Maybe just delay the piece of shit instead of coming with such lame excuses.We all know,no more than 1 week after launch Alan Wake 2 will have a fucking patch so fuck you Remedy and your dumb excuses.

jesus, take a breath my man, having an extra month of development/polish time for a game like this can make all the difference.

Callisto Protocol at day 1 versus day 31 was a huge change, as just one example.

It’s clearly a cost reduction experiment, nothing to do with anything else, if it works out for them, except more games from them to be digital only.

DavJay

No excuse because most games does day one patch anyway. I mean if they meant their games can’t be playable at all on day one, yikes. Just delay it

Shubh_C63

Alan Wake 2 is digital-only because it ̶g̶i̶v̶e̶s̶ ̶R̶e̶m̶e̶d̶y̶ ̶"̶m̶o̶r̶e̶ ̶t̶i̶m̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶p̶o̶l̶i̶s̶h̶"̶ allows Remedy to treat customers as beta-testers.
This holds true for Remedy you say ?

They have made huge bungle with QB and it was a flop. They made the safe bet with CONTROL with Epic and it worked.

None of their games are broken and works flawlessly. Alan Wake 2 will be no different

Mr.Phoenix

The only thing I see wrong here is that they even feel the need to explain why they are going digital ony.

Honesty, why does it matter? PC games have been digital ony for almost 2 decades now. Inie games are given a pass being digital. We literally are about to have a physical game release without a dic but instead a download code in a box.

The writings have been on the wall.. that threads like these exist and people are still up in arms about it... just goes to show how stubborn we are really.

Oh... and the double standards is ridiculous. Honesty, no one should ever say shit about any game taking a digital-only focus when PCs have been doing thsi for as long as they have.

If anything, our focus now shod be on insisting that these platform storefronts take the best store features found in stuff like Steam and more Digital based qol features are adopted.

ungalo

Honestly i can't blame them to try to keep the costs to a minimum when the remaster sold so poorly. With Remedy it still has 80% chances to be a flop.

CGNoire

Remedy is my favorite dev (Rockstar a close 2nd) but lately they keep signalling that there hey day may infact be dwindling.

3 gameplay videos of Alan Wake 2 have been shown and yet none of them yet showcase the fucking lead....you know the guy the game is fucking titled after?

Now Digital only followed by the usual corporate gaslighting.

It seems Remedy is more interesting in that main stream cashflow than maintaining there Integrity. Maybe that was the case prior but it sure never felt this blatant.

Cant say Im as confident in there Max Payne remake as I was a couple months ago. :(

Droxcy

Because you can't release a physical version and work on a Day 1 patch?

Confusion Reaction GIF

The labor hours projected towards just making the game go gold for manufacturing takes time, Everyone is pushing stuff into a funnel to make sure it can get sent out & approved. I'd rather have them take that time working on P1-P2 bugs. Game Dev isn't a direct path to completion that's for damn sure. So looking forward to this game though finally so close!

RickMasters

I was gonna buy it digitally like all of my games anyway.

I dont miss discs. they get scratched. they warp. time and wear destroys them. next thing they dont load on your console anymore because your kids or your nephews/neices accidently used it as a drinks coaster instead of putting it back in the case. swapping a disc to play a game is just an inconvenience too. Its not like changing a vinyl or flipping a cassette.... which has a novel kind of cool to it. Ill even say I feel a tingly sense of nostalgia when I swap a game cart in an old console like a sega mega drive or an NES. I feel no such things about putting a disc in a console. I dont even play my japanese sega saturn for fear of degrading the physical discs.

I doubt AW2 will have any online requirements (well maybe they are gonna hit PC users with some kind of DRM, ya never know!)

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Funny they say it helps keep the game price down but it would have been cheaper if it was physical because everywhere would have been selling it cheaper.
After all they're only charging £39.99 for the PC version and that was gonna be that price regardless.
I probably could have got it for a similar price unless their price hike for console games was 30 pounds more.
It's all bullshit.

Last edited:

Justin9mm

I was gonna buy it digitally like all of my games anyway.

I dont miss discs. they get scratched. they warp. time and wear destroys them. next thing they dont load on your console anymore because your kids or your nephews/neices accidently used it as a drinks coaster instead of putting it back in the case. swapping a disc to play a game is just an inconvenience too. Its not like changing a vinyl or flipping a cassette.... which has a novel kind of cool to it. Ill even say I feel a tingly sense of nostalgia when I swap a game cart in an old console like a sega mega drive or an NES. I feel no such things about putting a disc in a console. I dont even play my japanese sega saturn for fear of degrading the physical discs.

I doubt AW2 will have any online requirements (well maybe they are gonna hit PC users with some kind of DRM, ya never know!)
None of what you said is why people are arguing for physical.

It's about price, friendly consumer policies surrounding physical and majority of people especially with single player games, play it and move on. The very benefit of on selling a physical game is very much alive and well in the gaming community, all over the world. Sony and MS on console have the worst anti-consumer practices with digital games, and the monopoly pricing in some countries for new release digital games are ridiculous. You can pay up to $129.95 AUD in Australia for a new release game on the PS store, I go down to the shop and buy it physical from a major chain and it's $79. You're looking at it the wrong way.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I mean yeah it gives you an extra 4-5 weeks before you have to go gold, and I'm sure they're scheduling accordingly, but I doubt that was a primary reason for the decision.

It’s clearly a cost reduction experiment, nothing to do with anything else, if it works out for them, except more games from them to be digital only.

Why do they always have to LIE though? That's what I want to know. It's as if videogame companies have to be dishonest no matter how pointless the reason. Lie lie and lie some more. Videogame companies are scummy pos who think their customers are idiots apparently.

Ah yes that extra 1 fucking month îs gonna make such a huge difference between broken and polished...CD Projekt needed more than a year to fix Cyberpunk,an extra month ain't doing shit champ.Maybe just delay the piece of shit instead of coming with such lame excuses.We all know,no more than 1 week after launch Alan Wake 2 will have a fucking patch so fuck you Remedy and your dumb excuses.
Truth.

(I don't really give a fuck because I converted to "patient gaming" so I'll play it years after release).

xrnzaaas

It's like they have a list of excuses ready to go and just doing random picking which one to post next. If this wasn't Remedy AND Alan Wake 2 I wouldn't put up with this bullshit and just skipped the game to make a point on my part.

Games are getting shipped with incomplete builds constantly, but that doesn't make the retail copies worthless. The main reason - actually owning the game - is still there.

Last edited:

Rayderism

It's just so they can release it alpha-state-broken digitally, let early adopters beta test it for them, then once it's all patched up, maybe they'll print some disks.....or some 3rd-party publisher might.

Then, of course, there's the fact that some data on a server is ultimately cheaper than printing up a bunch of physical disks......more profit for them.

These days, you have to take anything a game company says with a truckload of salt.

DaGwaphics

Quick, somebody tell them that you have to install games on the consoles now and that once installed the disk based games can totally be patched the same as the digital copies. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Jokes aside, I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with the sequel.

Karppuuna

Epic is funding and distributing this game, and is they decision to go digital only. PC market is already digital only and they dont give a fuck about console discs obviously.

Apocryphon

“We don’t profit from the sales of pre-owned games”

You can bitch at Remedy now, but this is the future of gaming like it or not.

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
Epic is funding and distributing this game, and is they decision to go digital only. PC market is already digital only and they dont give a fuck about console discs obviously.
Nor should they.

Remedy's reasoning does make sense, even if many don't want to see it:
Printing a physical disc requires a hard deadline on production, because delaying that kind of deadline is very costly, causing the worst types of crunchtime without any guarantee of a polished product.
A digital game release can be postponed rather easily and as often as needed.

And they apparently don't want to ship a potentially shitty game version on disc, which is IMO a good stance.

Well, and then there is of course the argument of a dying market, with physical releases dwindling and dwindling and dwindling (and most discs not even containing the full game).
Makes sense to not make major decisions based on a minority of customers.

On PC, you could still make backups of your games, of course, so if you happen to be that kind of tinfoil hat, nothing's stopping you.
But on consoles? Unsure. Sucks without external tools, I guess. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Top Bottom