• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake 2 is the best looking game released this year?

GymWolf

I was playing it yesterday and started laughing out loud because someone on this forum mentioned item picking animation as The Last Of Us 2 'animation supremacy' example. I wanted to pick up something as Ellie and she was position at an angle and she slid into position awkwardly just so she could reach her hand in the general area of where the item was. It looked goofy as fuck.

Seriously, people need to replay games more often. Memory truly is a bitch.

Cinematics are still GOAT, 10/10, easily.
Yeah, rdr2 is still the king of picking stuff animations :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Alan Wake

So there is a part where you fall down as Nightingale and you can get the most realistic musty gooch shot ever in gaming thus far. It's glorioussssly disgusting.

Yeah, running around that area is crazy. The ray tracing from the neon signs on the roads is nuts. The game looks insane at times but there are shortcomings. It really bothers me none of the foliage reacts to the player. I know I keep mentioning it lol. Also every NPC sitting at s computer in the sheriff's office is typing at a screensaver. Details Remedy, details...

Maybe they're just lazy policemen pretending to work? ;-)

DavidGzz

I was playing it yesterday and started laughing out loud because someone on this forum mentioned item picking animation as The Last Of Us 2 'animation supremacy' example. I wanted to pick up something as Ellie and she was at an angle when I pressed triangle (I think?) so she slid into position awkwardly just so she could reach her hand in the general area of where the item was. It looked goofy as fuck.

What games comes even close besides RDR2 where looting is slow as shit?

So they can be awkward sometimes, better than non-existent like in AW2. When I mentioned that I was currently playing the inferior game animation-wise TLOU1. Even mentioning AW2 and TLOU2 in the same sentence reference animations is laughable tbh, let's stick to with what AW2 has a chance at. Screenshots.

This poops all over any other game out there. I'm a PC guy and before that I was more Xbox than PS but I can't deny Naughty Gods when it comes to combat.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

This forum is getting stupider every single day.

Timestamped:

Ok, but it was apparently absorbed into her gun. It still isn't in the same realm animation-wise overall. But it's fine since it isn't going for that. It can stick to what it's good at. I love the game. I am on my second playthrough but once again, it has many shortcomings when it comes to tech and is being put on a pedestal since it's in the honeymoon stage.

AW2 along with cyberunk. At times game is real life., jaw dropped, mind blown. I cant play for 2 mins straight without just stopping and looking all around and enjoying those eye melting visuals

5GwOqBT.jpg

hKSg2LV.jpg

4jM3AWf.jpg

nzrmqaQ.jpg

ATqWAA6.jpg
The lighting in this is phenomenal it's one of the reasons it looks better than other games this generation.

GymWolf

For better or worse. RDR2 is one of the most immersive games ever made. Ignore the main missions, go slow and live that cowboy life... if that's your kind of thing.
It was my goty (with gow 2018).

(And i could not care less for far west and cowboys stuff, never saw a western movie in my life except the spaghetti western trinity saga because i loved bud spencer and terence hill)

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Ok, but it was apparently absorbed into her gun. It still isn't in the same realm animation-wise overall. But it's fine since it isn't going for that. It can stick to what it's good at. I love the game. I am on my second playthrough but once again, it has many shortcomings when it comes to tech and is being put on a pedestal since it's in the honeymoon stage.

Look what's happening here. She's picking up health kit (it teleports from the shelf to her hand) that then disappears from her hand so she can pick up the bottle.

Seriously, you are ridiculous. Waste of time.

diddy-staring.gif

DavidGzz

Look what's happening here. She's picking up health kit (it teleports from the shelf to her hand) that then disappears from her hand so she can pick up the bottle.

Seriously, you are ridiculous. Waste of time.

Crouches and grabs three items in a row with animations for each, you won't see that in AW2. Crawls around and is still able to loot with animations. There is some jank, agreed. But still not in the same realm animation wise.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Crouches and grabs three items in a row with animations for each, you won't see that in AW2. Crawls around and is still able to loot with animations. There is some jank, agreed. But still not in the same realm animation wise.

Waste of time.

Timestamped:

Last edited:

tommib

What games comes even close besides RDR2 where looting is slow as shit?

So they can be awkward sometimes, better than non-existent like in AW2. When I mentioned that I was currently playing the inferior game animation-wise TLOU1. Even mentioning AW2 and TLOU2 in the same sentence reference animations is laughable tbh, let's stick to with what AW2 has a chance at. Screenshots.

This poops all over any other game out there. I'm a PC guy and before that I was more Xbox than PS but I can't deny Naughty Gods when it comes to combat.

That video just makes me bitter with the combat in AW2. I know it's an adventure game but I find the combat in AW2 so clumsy and joyless. I'm never looking forward to it. The original Alan Wake and Control have super satisfying combat. But maybe that's the goal since it's a horror survival. It's good they keep it at a minimum.

DavidGzz

That video just makes me bitter with the combat in AW2. I know it's an adventure game but I find the combat in AW2 so clumsy and joyless. I'm never looking forward to it. The original Alan Wake and Control have super satisfying combat. But maybe that's the goal since it's a horror survival. It's good they keep it at a minimum.

Yeah, I wish other devs would try to compete with TLOU but sadly it isn't happening.

GymWolf

In his defence TLOU2 is one of the best animated games so far. That's one area it beats AW2 but it's probably the only area.
Dogital acting\facial expressions during cutscenes is probably better in tlou 2 aswell.
Same for microdetails most probably (the type of stuff you see in yt compilations for attention to microdetails)

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Dogital acting\facial expressions during cutscenes is probably better in tlou 2 aswell.

100% yes.

Same for microdetails most probably (the type of stuff you see in yt compilations for attention to microdetails)

100% no, you're smoking crack.

Edit: oh I know what you mean... stuff like you shoot at glass and it shutters, right? Well, it might be closer than you think. At first I thought that you meant micro detail in scenery / assets.

In his defence TLOU2 is one of the best animated games so far. That's one area it beats AW2 but it's probably the only area.

It is but he's talking absolute bullshit like "this game do not have animation for pick-ups" or "you won't see character crouching and picking up items in quick succession" (which ironically is 1:1 with TLOU2, one animation is cancelling another). Well, that's bullshit and it drags the conversation down.

Last edited:

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
It was my goty (with gow 2018).

(And i could not care less for far west and cowboys stuff, never saw a western movie in my life except the spaghetti western trinity saga because i loved bud spencer and terence hill)

Off-topic : You should definitely remedy this, here's a couple of picks :
- Das finstere (The dark valley)
- The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
- Bone tomahawk
- The ballad of Buster Scruggs
- Unforgiven
- Hostiles
- The Revenant
- the power of the dog

:messenger_blowing_kiss:

GymWolf

100% yes.

100% no, you're smoking crack.

It is but he's talking absolute bullshit like "this game is not having animation for pick-ups" or "you won't see character crouching and picking up items in quick succession" (which ironically is 1:1 with TLOU2, one animation is cancelling another). Well, that's bullshit and it drags the conversation down.
I think you misunderstood what attention for microdetails means

I was not talking about graphical details.
Also, i'm more of a ganja type of guy.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I think you misunderstood what attention for microdetails means

I was not talking about graphical details.
Also, i'm more of a ganja type of guy.

I realized shortly after posting. TLOU2 is good at that type of thing, RDR2 is much better (and it's open world). I don't know about Alan Wake 2, I'm not really going around shooting car tires and all that bullshit.

Also, these videos show how dated TLOU2 graphics are. Beautiful art direction, I give them that.

Zathalus

I'd say it is up there. Environments and such are probably the best, but other games beat it in animations and character detail.

GymWolf

I realized shortly after posting. TLOU2 is good at that type of thing, RDR2 is much better (and it's open world). I don't know about Alan Wake 2, I'm not really going around shooting car tires and all that bullshit.

Also, these videos show how dated TLOU2 graphics are. Beautiful art direction, I give them that.
Rdr2 is the king, last zelda and tlou2 are the runner ups.

tommib

Yeah but that one is horror steampunk west.

Also, if a game is good it doesn't materr if it is about transexual space cowboys, a good game is a good game.
Yeah, I finished it recently and really liked it. I know you like melee combat and wondered if you played it. Had a lovely time with it until I got a save corrupted near the end. :messenger_face_steam:

Everyone has different when it comes to graphic.

Sadly for me, games I think most impressive oftens are the games I don't find its interesting. Cyberpunk 2077 (Boring fps), Horizon Forbidden West (Boring overall) , Alan Wake 2 ( too scary for me lol).

If you can play Robocop on PC using Special K's HDR, I'd say this is on the best graphics fetishistic experiences of the year... even the boring and grey concrete cold shooting range under the police station looks fantastic with all the fluorescent lamps in there. These shots look like they have a polarized layer compared to what you get in game with SK and a decent hdr monitor:

Robo-Cop-Win64-Shipping-2023-11-02-15-01-31-756.jpg

Robo-Cop-Win64-Shipping-2023-11-02-15-01-23-237.jpg

Robo-Cop-Win64-Shipping-2023-11-02-15-02-05-085.jpg
Yea holy shit dude this looks so sick!

I was playing it yesterday and started laughing out loud because someone on this forum mentioned item picking animation as The Last Of Us 2 'animation supremacy' example. I wanted to pick up something as Ellie and she was at an angle when I pressed triangle (I think?) so she slid into position awkwardly just so she could reach her hand in the general area of where the item was. It looked goofy as fuck.

Yea but this is for an actual triangle button prompt right? Like a full interaction? Because I've never seen this happen just picking up random scrap and resources off of the ground or off of tables and shelves.

All high quality AAA games do this now. CoD and Uncharted 2 both kind of pioneered this animation trick around 2009. But Uncharted 2 especially with third person animations such as the ladder boosting segments.

You hit triangle and if you're off slightly the character will move into the proper position. The new God of War games as well as even Spiderman 2 do it too.

I think it's a standard practice these days. It'll be interesting when a studio can finally make it look 100% seamless. Sometimes it can be depending on distance, angle and feet placement of the character before you press the button.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Well, when it's mostly in the dark, moving at a snail's pace, of course it will look good.
Grumpy Calvin sound more accurate.

People posted pics of open areas in daylight that look as good as night time. :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

For the slow pace, well not everyone decide to cut down asset quality for super fast traversal, devs chose their priorities based on the game they make.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
On PC? Yes it is

On consoles the IQ is too terrible, even in Quality mode

Going from AW 2 to Spider-man 2 was like putting on some glasses for the first time
Exactly. AW2 can't win on consoles with image quality like in the games below also being on ps5

TOBArsT.jpg

And death stranding IQ sucks ass on ps5 compared to even some other games haha
1gzRtXs.jpg

o1TxWKf.jpg

o2X4MnE.jpg

And one from cutscene
40tPwiV.jpg

setoman

tlou2 is CLEARLY better looking. At least the characters are for sure.
Death Stranding characters are comparable. HFW too
AW2 is not quite up there with those
Lmao how in the world is this not the best looking game of all time?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Lmao how in the world is this not the best looking game of all time?

Haven't you seen my whole comments?
Maybe it is on PC but not on consoles.
PS5 version is lazy trash with terrible image quality, fsr breakup all the time, shimmering, bad performance not even holding 30fps and worst of all - no RT fallback whatsoever.
They don't support any rt on ps5, so they don't support any reflections. Mirrors are grey and don't reflect anything.
All ssr reflections are awful and grainy. You can't hardly make out any reflections.
Imo, if they are shipping NON RT console versions of the game, they would need to put more care into it. I don't expect them to support RT but you can still make image quality more stable and ssr work better or replace it at least with cubemaps. Anything. Even shadows are these weird clumps of hexagons.
It's all baked on ps5. No idea why it's so bad.

Imo the PS5 version of this is so bad, it's offensive they are even charging as much money for it.
There are many much better looking games on ps5.

As for pc? yes. This is the best looking game on pc. clearly with all the path tracing stuff.
edit: and the contrast sucks on all versions. The game even with HDR, have this weird, low contrast. Some forest areas are greyish and hard to make out.
btw - I finished the game on ps5 an was fairly impressed at first. But I was sick of shimmering, break-up and grain by the end.
tl;dr - raster version of this game have many flaws and lack proper solutions, so RT gets easy wins.

Last edited:

makaveli60

The game is GOTY for me and I love it but I can’t help but feel disappointed about the graphics a bit after such hype. I mean, it looks really good, but it’s not better than the best looking games around, I feel, despite being nextgen only. I‘m not even sure it looks better than TLoU 2. The worst problem is the aliasing. Why does it have so much aliasing? I thought developers had solved this problem in about 2016 with TAA, I rarely played a jaggied game since then but here we are. What could be the reason for it? Is it because Nortlight was not developed with it in mind and it would be too difficult to add it now?

Last edited:
The game is GOTY for me and I love it but I can’t help but feel disappointed about the graphics a bit after such hype. I mean, it looks really good, but it’s not better than the best looking games around, I feel, despite being nextgen only. I‘m not even sure it looks better than TLoU 2. The worst problem is the aliasing. Why does it have so much aliasing? I thought developers had solved this problem in about 2016 with TAA, I rarely played a jaggied game since then but here we are. What could be the reason for it? Is it because Nortlight was not developed with it in mind and it would be too difficult to add it now?
The aliasing annoys me too. But considering the PC version does not have that problem at all - I can imagine what it’d look like without that issue. And it’d look amazing. There are moments it looks far above any other game I’ve played imo - cutscenes/animations are better in something like LOU, but actual gameplay is different

ChiefDada

Gold Member
So after looking into AW2 in greater detail I think the outside environment looks good, but nothing in particular stand out to me as "holy shit, next gen" look. The interiors are a different story. Best looking interiors I've seen in a game to date.

Best Interiors - Winner: Alan Wake 2

Best Cinematics - Winner: Final Fantasy XVI

Best Open World - Winner: Spider-Man 2 (My Beloved)

Top Bottom