• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake 2 is the best looking game released this year?

Nasigil

Neo Member
Easily Cyberpunk with full path tracing + DLSS 3.5. From graphical details to the distinctive art direction it's just unparalleled.

And I am continue to perplexed by the people that constantly bring up Spiderman 2 because every video and images I saw about that game is just... above average at best, definitely not bad but too generic and unimpressive to put into this kind of discussion.

sinnergy

The aliasing annoys me too. But considering the PC version does not have that problem at all - I can imagine what it’d look like without that issue. And it’d look amazing. There are moments it looks far above any other game I’ve played imo - cutscenes/animations are better in something like LOU, but actual gameplay is different
On console? The games graphics are to heavy 🤣 lowered resolution, shit upscaling by FSR 2 == jaggies. Welcome to next-gen 👍🏻

KiteGr

I'll tell you when it reaches Steam.
I only buy Physical on consoles and I don't build any library on Epic.

Elios83

Playing it right now, I'm just a few hours in but I don't know how this can even be suggested *on consoles*.
Small environments, no ray tracing with the traditional screen space reflections that coming from Spiderman 2 simply suck, but most importantly a noisy rendering that makes the FSR implementation literally fall apart.
There are situations where the image becomes a cloud of shimmery white dots while you're moving the camera.
Overall the game still can look great but the things that I've seen in the Horizon DLC and Spiderman 2 are simply only an other level.

Last edited:
The new Robocop game also has some very pretty enviros.

F-MnJK0WkAAEBw8

F-P1WOIWkAAjuE3

F-P1WOVXwAEUpOt

If we're talking just visually, prioritizing photorealism in games with 3D graphics, then easily, yes.

The only other games I could think of, that are better than this, are CP2077 Path Traced on PC and The Matrix Awakens demo (if you can even call it a "game").

Horizon Forbidden West and it's DLC look insane on PS5, but not as much as this.

Last edited:
If we're talking just visually, prioritizing photorealism in games with 3D graphics, then easily, yes.

The only other games I could think of, that are better than this, are CP2077 Path Traced on PC and The Matrix Awakens demo (if you can even call it a "game").

Horizon Forbidden West and it's DLC look insane on PS5, but not as much as this.

Robocop is a fully playable version of this. Try it and be blown away!

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
So after looking into AW2 in greater detail I think the outside environment looks good, but nothing in particular stand out to me as "holy shit, next gen" look. The interiors are a different story. Best looking interiors I've seen in a game to date.

Best Interiors - Winner: Alan Wake 2

Best Cinematics - Winner: Final Fantasy XVI

Best Open World - Winner: Spider-Man 2 (My Beloved)

that sounds... actually reasonable.

Markio128

I’m a few hours in. For a slow paced linear game, it’s decent enough visually, but nothing mind blowing. I do like how the FMV blends with the gameplay though.

Top Bottom