• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake 2: Lack Of Sales Update Suggests It Didn’t Sell Too Well

Draugoth

Gold Member
egs-alanwake2-remedyentertainment-s1-2560x1440-309c7412b7bc.jpg

• Remedy Entertainment has not announced any sales figures for Alan Wake 2 after nearly two months, pointing to poor sales.
  • Exclusivity on Epic Games and the lack of a physical release might have hindered sales.
  • The sales numbers may have improved after Alan Wake 2 won various awards at TGA 2023.
It’s been almost two months since Alan Wake 2 was released. While the game is undoubtedly a massive success among the fans, the financial numbers might not have lived up to expectations.

Despite this impressive horror release, Remedy Entertainment has yet to announce any sales figures, suggesting the game didn’t sell well.

Concerns were raised when Mat Piscatella from Circana reported that the game failed to make it among the top 100 played titles on Xbox and PlayStation. While Epic Games sales weren’t included, this was a major red flag.

In a year like 2023, Remnant 2 sold 1 million copies in a week. Therefore, there was reason to believe Alan Wake 2 would achieve even better results, but nearly two months after launch, Remedy Entertainment has not made any announcements.

Source

Last edited:

Skyfox

It's had a big price drop and there's an epic-store coupon to make it even cheaper.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
They made a game for awards and won several awards. Of course, they also got cut off during their speeches so maybe they shouldve focused on making a more action focused game for their fanbase instead of award shows but what do i kinow.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Pretty good game, I should pick it back up and try to finish it. I got to the half way point and just completely lost all interest to continue. I guess it didn't captivate me enough to go all the way without even thinking about it.

But yeah, with it being Epic only on PC, digital only across all platforms, and then a bit niche. I guess it shouldn't be too much of a surprise.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I highly doubt it would've done well even if it was released on Steam. Gameplay-wise the game is boring and tedious af, probably one of the most boring survival horror games I ever played, which is sad cuz it had potential to be something great, but as it stands right now... pretty much any other Remedy game (except the 1st Alan Wake and American Nightmare) is way better gameplay-wise.

Last edited:

Lupin25

The Spider-Man/Super Mario/CoD effect.
Still haven’t finished both & they’re amazing.

In reality, they should’ve dropped the game this month to give it some breathing room & more time to market.

Last edited:

Hugare

Y'all know the saying: "go EPIC, go broke"

But seriously, the EPIC deal probably fucked them. They helped developing AW 2, sure. But at the same time, they couldnt release physical copies probably due to an agreement with EPIC, and no Steam release.

I've never seen Epic releasing physical games before (corret me if I'm wrong). And they've probably prohibited Remedy to seek another publisher.

They made a deal with the devil to make this game happen, unfortunately

Last edited:

Zuzu

I’d prefer to wait for a price drop on the Xbox. If it was physical that drop would likely come much earlier, but since it’s digital often it takes a while to drop as deeply as it would if it was physical. Their choice not to release it physically.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I really enjoyed the game but it didn’t fix my biggest issue I had with original AW……I want better enemy designs.

this time they made survival horror game thats rated “M”, this was good opportunity to make more interesting and freaky looking enemies…..especially Alan Wake section since he was in Dark Place…..but they did nothing and even made Alan Wake enemies looking worse than Saga section by adding bluer filter on them.

Mowcno

Yeah, it could be seen on the gameplay charts that barely anyone was playing it. Alan Wake II seriously bombed in terms of sales but was hugely successful critically. Sad for the developers that put in a good job.

Fabieter

Well epic made the game possible but it didn't sell well on epic store. I hope steam is supporting some of those independent studios like epic games did here.

Draugoth

Gold Member
60% off almost made me finally buy this game (I wanted it at launch, but didn't want to spend money on EGS), but EGS for me only shows 20%

RAaeGyj.png

edit: looks like an additional 33% off coupon applies. Still not spending money on EGS, though

I think i will get it but i hate thew EGS Launcher

Jesb

I’m not someone that buys physical releases anymore but you are losing out on that crowd. Maybe you don’t need to sell as much as you do for those that do physical release.

hinch7

They took Epics money and found out. But seriously the franchise never really took off in the first game so it shouldn't come as a surprise that the sequel isn't really selling well either.

T4keD0wN

You mean all those black female gamers represented by the main char didnt go and support the product they were catered to ???????
No, they went to buy armored core 6 and Robocop because they were represented by main characters NACHTREIHER 40E core and Robocop instead.
Shame Facepalm GIF by MOODMAN

I find it amazing that there are so many people who feel represented by an Italian plumbing community and Greek gods, truly wonderful.

Last edited:

Holammer

First game was never a super seller and it had piddling 84% reviews.
I enjoyed it, but evangelists might have elevated it a bit too much.

Top Bottom