• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake 2 is yet to earn back its budget.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Terrible game. I was very disappointed by the loud obnoxious jump scares, lack of combat, constant gatherering if crap with full inventory and bad puzzles. The gameplay loop consists of slow walking and puzzles. It’s barely engaging compared to other survival horror games. And the never ending Sam lake masturbation. I even liked the game before … he puts himself in every part of the game and that’s kinda almost fine. But the story is just trash. The new character is trash and the ending is trash.
And on top of that, they just port it to ps5 by slapping low on pc settings. No rt, no alternative solution, grainy war that doesn’t work and sub 30 performance with worst fsr2 this gen. And there controls are terrible on ps5. Worst dead zones and sensitivity ever.

I am usually not that critical and this game got some amazing setting, location forests and so on… but you end up pretending to be scared, pretending to be detective, pretending to be engaged. And spend hours listening to talking heads in your mind room.

I will get hate for this and I absolutely don’t get the critical acclaimed hype this game got… and I can’t sell it because it’s only on psn

Last edited:
Donald Glover Reaction GIF

J3nga

Terrible game. I was very disappointed by the loud obnoxious jump scares, lack of combat, constant gatherering if crap with full inventory and bad puzzles. The gameplay loop consists of slow walking and puzzles. It’s barely engaging compared to other survival horror games. And the never ending Sam lake masturbation. I even liked the game before … he puts himself in every part of the game and that’s kinda almost fine. But the story is just trash. The new character is trash and the ending is trash.
And on top of that, they just port it to ps5 by slapping low on pc settings. No rt, no alternative solution, grainy war that doesn’t work and sub 30 performance with worst fsr2 this gen. And there controls are terrible on ps5. Worst dead zones and sensitivity ever.

I am usually not that critical and this game got some amazing setting, location forests and so on… but you end up pretending to be scared, pretending to be detective, pretending to be engaged. And spend hours listening to talking heads in your mind room.

I will get hate for this and I absolutely don’t get the critical acclaimed hype this game got… and I can’t sell it because it’s only on psn
Hate? I agree with you, game has amazing presentation due to its budget but everything else is just underwhelming. I tried replaying it for the "new ending" but dropped it, doing countless boring walking sections and mind mapping mini game with Saga was unbearable for the 2nd time.

Last edited:

Klosshufvud

Absolutely agree with everything. Game felt so cheap and amateurish. Like the writers saw some episodes of True Detective and wanted to ape that but they lacked the actual competence to realize why True Detective worked. The game has zero atmosphere. It's all just random jump scares and random scenario shifts with zero coherence. If you can't build atmosphere and the whole game is just randomly being tugged from one place to another, it loses the whole appeal of being an atmospheric horror game. I preferred the first game. It had way better pacing and it took itself less seriously than this shit. And Sam Lake absolutely got his head up his ass these days.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Google reckons the development and marketing budget was $70m - I wonder how many sales they had to hit to reach their break even point and when they expected to reach it.

Given how much I heard about AW2 in the press, I had assumed it was a bigger game than it's 1.3m sales suggest it is.

Shame, I didn't really like playing AW2 or Control, but I like the ideas. Hopefully they'll nail having fun gameplay next time. They've been doing a great job of world building for a while now, but the action seems under developed.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Google reckons the development and marketing budget was $70m - I wonder how many sales they had to hit to reach their break even point and when they expected to reach it.

Given how much I heard about AW2 in the press, I had assumed it was a bigger game than it's 1.3m sales suggest it is.

Shame, I didn't really like playing AW2 or Control, but I like the ideas. Hopefully they'll nail having fun gameplay next time. They've been doing a great job of world building for a while now, but the action seems under developed.
Yeah I disliked control too but it had good combat and ideas.
They already knew good games. That’s max Payne 1 and 2

Neolombax

Kinda surprised, given generally favorable impressions by both press and players. Not my genre though, can't say anything about AW excites me.

Filben

No surprise. It's a very niche game the same as Control is.

French and German people probably know the TV channel "Arte" – that's where a movie of the game would run on. Great artistic value but not something the mainstream would enjoy.

Even the most "mainstream" feature of the game isn't really that mainstream: the slow and deliberate shooting and action. Mix that with its way of storytelling and underrepresented forensic profiler mechanic and it was never meant to sell millions and millions.

It's like Bladerunner 2047 – highly praised but too few people actually watched it. And while I loved and rewatched it several times I can see why many people wouldn't watch it. Same goes for playing AW2.

I'm in agreement with the OP. As a fan I refused to buy primarily due to the game being digital only. Secondly, it was the Sweet Baby Inc. involvement - from that it was mainly the 50|50 protagonist split that bothered me. Seriously, only a sweet baby could reduce the main characters screen time to 50% in his own sequel. That just didn't seem all that appealing to me.

winjer

Gold Member
I'm in agreement with the OP. As a fan I refused to buy primarily due to the game being digital only. Secondly, it was the Sweet Baby Inc. involvement - from that it was mainly the 50|50 protagonist split that bothered me. Seriously, only a sweet baby could reduce the main characters screen time to 50% in his own sequel. That just didn't seem all that appealing to me.

I forgot about the SBI thing.
The racist undertones in the game probably didn't help with the sales.

GHound

Exactly this.
Wait for the Steam release and then determine if it is a success or not.

EGS market share is too small to determine anything on PC.
There is no telling how long this could potentially be considering Epic published the game and we don't know what kind of contract they have.

Wildebeest

This is a game made for players 15 years ago. Today, people want horror games that are coop and have short sessions based on hunting for a goofy monster with no real purpose other than to bait it into doing something funny.

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
There is no telling how long this could potentially be considering Epic published the game and we don't know what kind of contract they have.
Well, considering releases like this so far, one year is a fair assumption.
More would be very unusual.

GHound

Well, considering releases like this so far, one year is a fair assumption.
More would be very unusual.
It would be unusual if it were merely a store exclusivity deal like most of the deals done by Epic, but Epic is the actual publisher for this game. On consoles too.
That's also the case with the 2021 Alan Wake remaster that isn't available on Steam.

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
It would be unusual if it were merely a store exclusivity deal like most of the deals done by Epic, but Epic is the actual publisher for this game. On consoles too.
That's also the case with the 2021 Alan Wake remaster that isn't available on Steam.
Hmmm, true enough.

Well, in that case Epic might just decide to let the game become a commercial failure.

Or eventually release on Steam.
The Steam thing is not a logical, business-driven issue for Sweeney, it seems purely emotional - therefore, he might just make the dumbest business moves in order to raise a middle finger towards Steam.

Larxia

Ohhh, no kidding?
- Don't do a physical release on consoles
- Make it an epic game Store Exclusive

"Why is it not selling?"

I swear, it feels like Remedy ALWAYS take the worst possible exclusivity deals, it's like its part of their DNA. Alan Wake flopped on 360 and I think sold better once it came to PC? Quantum break released on pc only on the WINDOWS STORE, and Control launched as an Epic Exclusive. They never have a proper healthy release that goes well.

Roufianos

I don't quite dislike it as much as you but I'd agree with much of this. Game was pretty boring and overly self indulgent, it took me about 3 weeks to finish despite clocking in at around 12 hours.

The story is also garbage, sure it's creative but if I don't have a fucking clue what's going on, you're doing it wrong.

I'd probably give it a 7 at best.

Last edited:

Alan Wake

Hate? I agree with you, game has amazing presentation due to its budget but everything else is just underwhelming. I tried replaying it for the "new ending" but dropped it, doing countless boring walking sections and mind mapping mini game with Saga was unbearable for the 2nd time.
I really liked the game although I still think the combat was underwhelming just like in the first game. Overall I really enjoyed my first playthrough but yes, the replayability is limited. I don't think I'll return.

I commend Epic for funding AW2, but they dropped the ball when it comes to the distribution aspect of this title (e.g. no physical release on console and EGS only) so no wonder it didn't earn its budget back yet.

Last edited:

Holammer

If the EGS exclusive really hurt the game as speculated (looks like there's more than one factor behind the failure), let see they will similarly cripple the new co-op Control game right out of the gate.

Killer8

It’s an art house horror adventure game with sky high production values. We should be thankful it got made. We need more of these and less of everything else.

If we get more of these then the industry will bankrupt itself. The starving artist bit only lasts so long before the investor money dries up and these people are out of work. At least breaking even is absolutely pivotal if it's to be sustainable.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I really liked the game although I still think the combat was underwhelming just like in the first game. Overall I really enjoyed my first playthrough but yes, the replayability is limited. I don't think I'll return.
My biggest issue with AW2 is boring enemy design especially if you are going for survival horror game then monster design very important.

tommib

If we get more of these then the industry will bankrupt itself. The starving artist bit only lasts so long before the investor money dries up and these people are out of work. At least breaking even is absolutely pivotal if it's to be sustainable.
I said more not a replacement. There’s not enough of a balance in high-cost productions. Everything is becoming a highly industrial product in the AAA business.

I love to see the “starving” artists having means to high budgets because they do tend to bring innovation and watershed moments.

Publishers should be able to cover the “starving” artist with the mainstream productions. Think A24.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Huge Alan Wake fan, but I know next to nothing about this game. I don't watch videos about games, and since it isn't on Steam, I'm not certain the game actually exists. You might all be making it up just to fool me. Also I gotta upgrade before I play it :lollipop_smirking:

Spyxos

It started out interesting and I had fun, but after a while it got annoying. And I must have put the game down 3-4 times before I finished it.

Top Bottom