• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake 2 is yet to earn back its budget.

StereoVsn

Actually many expected it to flop because other big games were released very close to it. As a big fan of the first game I was a bit worried. Then it got great reviews, lot of attention and awards. I'm sure its selling a lot better than most people expected.
It’s not. It’s missing half the console audience where it’s been shown that big games still sell well on physical. It’s also missing 90% of PC audience being Epic exclusive.

These are self inflicted wounds.

As much as I shit on AW2, I loved Control. I don't actually wish them ill or anything because when they go that route, they know how to come up with some great gameplay and level design. I mean, they basically created the template for modern TPS as we know them with Max Payne.

It's not like they don't know how to make a fun game, just someone put a fucking muzzle on Sam Lake or whatever needs to happen lol. We know you love cool TV shows and...yourself, bro.

brenobnfm

Alan Wake 2 sounds like one of the worst culprits in the “cinema-like immersive experiences rather than being a fucking game” trend that is ballooning development costs and disappointing gamers. I’m so tired of them.

That's not the problem, TLoU 1 is a "cinema-like experience" and it's regarded as a masterpiece, AW2 problem is that it's story is just Sam Lake masturbation with bad gameplay

Which Unreal Engine 5 games are running on low on nextgen machines?
Immortals?
RoboCop?
Tekken?
Lords?

P.S This game doesnt run on Unreal in case you were thinking that.

Please dont spread misinformation.

Control 2 is Control 2.
6492c2af238d1c4a6ab203c3_Control_2_3840x2160-p-1600.jpeg

Condor is set in the Control universe and is an MP game. (looks like an extraction type game or HellDivers 2 esc.)
64e4a5b575cac6677d2b2dd2_Condor_3840x2160-p-1600.jpg

Kestrel is a preimum game with strong emphasis on Co-op play, not set in the Control Universe (but might be now that Remedy owns the rights).....funded by Tencent.
remedy-entertainment-new-logo.jpg

You have nothing to worry about then.

I'm in for all of it. There isn't a Remedy game I haven't enjoyed to some extent. Quantum Break was their weakest game but it wasn't that bad and it was pretty short also. I don't know if there GAAS game will do well but I trust that company to do whatever they want.

Cryio

I haven't bought the game yet, because I really want to buy the complete version. But they're really taking their time with the 2 expansions.

DaGwaphics

That's too bad. They have their own unique style and don't mind hanging in there with that. I find that refreshing.

Still waiting for this one to get discounted more. :messenger_tears_of_joy: #partoftheproblem

Mr Moose

Alan Wake 2 has an 89 on Metacritic and an 8.7 user rating. Does anyone on NeoGAF like the game?
I haven't played it enough to know, I've only left the first section and headed into the town. First game was OK, nothing special but had some decent story parts.
Might play 2 more today if I remember to.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I'm in for all of it. There isn't a Remedy game I haven't enjoyed to some extent. Quantum Break was their weakest game but it wasn't that bad and it was pretty short also. I don't know if there GAAS game will do well but I trust that company to do whatever they want.

I loved Quantum Break and will beg Remedy randomly year in year out until they announce they are making a sequel.
Cant leave us on a cliffhanger and never return to the story.

kJuRyXg.png

hyperbertha

Yep. And she is a bad character. She is very stoic and uncharismatic. Ask her problems come and go away.
She is exactly what people who disliked forspoken wished for… Frey got bashed for having charisma and a character lol
Frey had a character...a cringey one. Better than no character at all....? Sure for comedic purposes

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
I think the lack of physical version might have played too, even though not directly through physical sales but it also give the game exposure being on shleves etc...
I know some people that used to love AW on the 360 and that weren't aware that a sequel was coming and they are the kind of guys that will probably just buy a game when they see it at the super market or walking in front a video game store.
Maybe, but not by much

Of course that we have more than ever digital games, still, it's fair to assume that digital are becoming bigger

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Maybe, but not by much

Of course that we have more than ever digital games, still, it's fair to assume that digital are becoming bigger
Does that revenue include mobile, dlc, mtx and pc?If so, of course physical will be low, but didn't sony revealed that they were at around 50/50 ratio?

I loved Quantum Break and will beg Remedy randomly year in year out until they announce they are making a sequel.
Cant leave us on a cliffhanger and never return to the story.

kJuRyXg.png
It would take a Microsoft collaboration to get that done. I'd say Remedy are making the biggest franchise they could be working on right now in the Max Payne remakes (they will make a profit for sure).

K' Dash

Frey has a character arc and she actually has some personality.
Saga (had to google the name since I forgot) is a boring rock.

dude nobody here takes you seriously, you're like a loud 10 year old trying to get his stupid opinion heard when the adults are talking.

And going by your posts, you're not the sharpest tool in the shed... or you're a loud obnoxious kind.

Anyway, I just want Alan to get closure, I hope they can give him a proper send off.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
dude nobody here takes you seriously, you're like a loud 10 year old trying to get his stupid opinion heard when the adults are talking.

And going by your posts, you're not the sharpest tool in the shed... or you're a loud obnoxious kind.

Anyway, I just want Alan to get closure, I hope they can give him a proper send off.
It's not my fault people are stupid sheep.
And I am shar enough, thank you. Don't feel like the need to prove my sharpness in every post lol. It's the stupid internet you are in right now.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
It would take a Microsoft collaboration to get that done. I'd say Remedy are making the biggest franchise they could be working on right now in the Max Payne remakes (they will make a profit for sure).
Microsoft could just sell Quantum Break to Remedy the way 505 sold Control to Remedy.
Microsoft doesnt seem to be doing anything with the IP, the least they could have done is throw remedy like 70 milly during the buying spree and let them do Quantum Break 2 without any of the live action stuff.
Lance Reddick is dead and Paul Serene is gone too so all the best parts of the live action are out anyway.
And the Doctor is old so we cant even perv on her now..........im lying Dr Amaral is getting it.

But seriously if they arent using the IP let Remedy use it.

63337a11b00da23dc3cd45944645c0d174089466.jpg

GbeHLPf.jpg

bumpkin

Looks like it’s on sale again on PS+, $47.99.

I haven’t bought it because of no physical release. Same reason I didn’t bother with Hi-Fi Rush.

Last edited:

Gamezone

Gold Member
Single player only title that is digital only, and EGS exclusive on PC. Who would have known this would happen?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Maybe, but not by much

The revenue for the company doesn't = Userbase purchasing a a game
As we've seen with the leaks.
Most games have a 70/30 split in favour of Physical.
Ragnarok sold 4.6 million Digital and in total in over 20mil, think about that.
Even Sony's revenue reports shows only little as over 13% of their revenue comes from first Party digital sales and the rest is comission of everything else sold on PSN.
The rest of the sales of still physical but you're not seeing that number.
Just the 95% revenue as a whole.
It's misleading.
Alan Wake 2 needed a physical release upon launch.
Now even if it does get one the sales are gonna be weaker due to word of mouth of it's short coming and other stuff and it being a older title.

Don't think even a budget release will help it.

Last edited:
Alan Wake 2 has an 89 on Metacritic and an 8.7 user rating. Does anyone on NeoGAF like the game?
Great, so what are the user ratings on Steam?

Oh right, there aren't any BECAUSE IT'S NOT ON STEAM.

Steam is like 95%+ of the PC use base, it's not rocket science to deduce why AW2 didn't even make back it's production budget yet LMAO

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
No surprise. It's a very niche game the same as Control is.

French and German people probably know the TV channel "Arte" – that's where a movie of the game would run on. Great artistic value but not something the mainstream would enjoy.

Even the most "mainstream" feature of the game isn't really that mainstream: the slow and deliberate shooting and action. Mix that with its way of storytelling and underrepresented forensic profiler mechanic and it was never meant to sell millions and millions.

It's like Bladerunner 2047 – highly praised but too few people actually watched it. And while I loved and rewatched it several times I can see why many people wouldn't watch it. Same goes for playing AW2.

I haven't played AW2 yet, but the bolded is a good image that you've explained. Great way to explain your thoughts here.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Alan wake 2 mistakes.

1. Do not launch the game physically.

2. Charge 60 dollars in digital format.

3. Don't let Alan Wake appear in the entire game.

4. And I won't say the other point, because I would receive a reprimand... But it is associated with Sweet baby company.

Top Bottom