• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake 2: Lack Of Sales Update Suggests It Didn’t Sell Too Well

Probably sold a million or so, remedy really should have worked on a new ip, no steam release and physical cost them a lot. Dump control ip, 3 million in 3 years. And they working on a sequel. Like why?

The deluxe edition with the future only SP DLC included, is going for $24.74 on EGS, in my region and it's really tempting.

I would've pulled the trigger if my 1080GTX PC isn't outdated, this is a very demanding game and worthy of those demands, visually speaking.

Also, I got burnt once on the 360 buying the first game's Collector's Edition (and American Nightmare later on XBLA), and realised these cinematic games with minimal gameplay/gunplay/depth, are not for me. Same with PlayStation cinematic adventure games like Last of Us, God of War etc. I'm happy for the large contingent of players who are into these games and get what what they want though.

ungalo

Probably sold a million or so, remedy really should have worked on a new ip, no steam release and physical cost them a lot. Dump control ip, 3 million in 3 years. And they working on a sequel. Like why?
Control is the game that did the best numbers in the last 10 years for them, and didn't cost that much to produce. You guys are talking like Remedy has a lot of room for choice. It's not because they're making a new IP that it's going to sell more, that it's less risky, a new IP can bomb just as much if not more than Alan Wake or Control. Those are games that didn't sell very well but still more than QB for example. Alan Wake was still a name with a certain prestige even though a lot of people never played it, that's why they tried to sell the remaster before the second game, they thought core gamers that missed the game back in the days would try it.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Crappy woke walking sim.

Good news
The game is a lot of things, but "woke" isn't one of them.

Its getting a lot of critique praise, but i thought the game had a very generic story, great direction, poor combat, and a simple premise.

I'm not sure why its so beloved by some, i figured it wouldn't sell well.
Yeah, honestly I had no idea people loved the first one so much until AW2 was about to drop. I didn't care for the first game at all, I remember Gameflying it, and just not enjoying it. I thought I'd like AW2 more as it is more survival horror-like. But it just didn't stick.

But like I said, I'm happy for those fans that thought they'd never get a sequel and they did. Pretty neat.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It's not woke at all.

Maybe they shouldn't have taken the epic money and released it on steam.
It's woke. Maybe not as much as ratchet and clank or gow ragnarok or spider man2.... but still.
They coasted you into politics without you even noticing and I think that's fucked and I felt kinda cheated on when I noticed it all retroactively by the end of the game. I felt played on and then it's all clear as it is on sweet baby inc list of games they worked on.

Also, Mary sue Saga with powers whom you play as more than titular Alan Wake... and she takes the spotlight.

and gggmanlives review perfectly summarizes why it's just a not good game.

-Bad pacing
-Needless mind place with repeating all of the events and beating you over the head with monologues and talking heads
-You fake solving cases but you don't do anything. Just put postcards in correct places but it can't be done wrong
-almost no action
-boring and repetitive puzzles
-Repetitive gameplay - you walk, everything is locked, kill the boss, go through the area in reverse, water is gone now, do puzzles.
-Alan sections are just as repetitive (I liked them more personally but it made no sense to me with the whole rewriting of rooms)
-terrible jump scares
-Everyone is Sam Lake
-Not from gggman vid but my issue - bs treatment of for console versions. ps5 bad performance, terrible shimmering, no reflections at all, ton of bugs and I evne had few crashes.
-bad ending and story almost makes no sense
-And another one from me - it controls bad with gamepad. no matter what settings, the deadzones or something are so weird.

I loved a lot of stuff. The atmosphere, sound design, walking around the forest or city at night in a rain. Amazing stuff. The elderly house had fantastic atmosphere with old folks gathered around on a porch....

Last edited:

MikeM

Honest question: would you prefer the game not exist at all? Cuz that was the likely scenario if Epic hadn't stepped in and funded the game. I downloaded the Epic launcher, will play the game and then I will remove and delete.
Why is that a consumer’s problem? They made they’re choices and now reap the benefits and consequences of them.

I, and many others, prefer to buy physical on console or buy on Steam on PC. Not there? No buy. I have no problem sending a message with my wallet. Gaming would be in a better place if more did the same.

Last edited:
Not entirely surprised. It’s remedy once again with their artsy fartsy nonsense. I got the game for “free” and I still feel ripped off. I swear, these guys haven’t made 1 good game since Max Payne 2.

Last edited:

Zathalus

This thread is hilarious. Firstly the argument that they never should have partnered with Epic. Partnering with Epic is the only reason this game got made in the first place, and it's very likely that due to Epic giving them a fat wad of cash that Remedy likely didn't make a loss with this game. Secondly is the physical argument, because selling an extra 15% would have made such a big difference?

Senua

Gold Member
This thread is hilarious. Firstly the argument that they never should have partnered with Epic. Partnering with Epic is the only reason this game got made in the first place, and it's very likely that due to Epic giving them a fat wad of cash that Remedy likely didn't make a loss with this game. Secondly is the physical argument, because selling an extra 15% would have made such a big difference?
Also the typical racist comments because the protag, can't forget those!

Crayon

For my part, the buzz about it made me feel like playing the first game for the first time, which is less enticing than seeing the 2nd game that everyone is talking about. Ironic. Basically I get the impression that I would be missing a lot if I jumped right into the second. Though the desire to play is pretty low considering horror is not my favorite. Not to mention I'm spoiled by horror in vr.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Why is that a consumer’s problem? They made they’re choices and now reap the benefits and consequences of them.

I, and many others, prefer to buy physical on console or buy on Steam on PC. Not there? No buy. I have no problem sending a message with my wallet. Gaming would be in a better place if more did the same.
I asked a simple would you prefer this game not exist at all?

I get it, you like Steam and make the choice as a consumer to not buy something on Epic, but Steam wasn't an option, it was either that or not exist.

Zathalus

Ah yes, the woke argument. Because Saga said one bad thing in the entire game (but let's conveniently forget she was being mind controlled when she said it).

If a person (not naming names) doesn't like the game then that is perfectly fine. Not everyone likes the exploring and puzzle aspect and the combat is not super engaging, but there is no need to make up blatantly false things about the game that anyone can fact check on.

Darsxx82

Very sad if it's true. I think AW2 is exceptional and the best horror game of the generation.

It's like movies that are filled with critics' awards and yet the public looks away at more popular and poorer quality movies.

I hope your sales have legs and know how to be profitable and successful.

Senua

Gold Member

-Bad pacing
-Needless mind place with repeating all of the events and beating you over the head with monologues and talking heads
-You fake solving cases but you don't do anything. Just put postcards in correct places but it can't be done wrong
-almost no action
-boring and repetitive puzzles
-Repetitive gameplay - you walk, everything is locked, kill the boss, go through the area in reverse, water is gone now, do puzzles.
-Alan sections are just as repetitive (I liked them more personally but it made no sense to me with the whole rewriting of rooms)
-terrible jump scares
-Everyone is Sam Lake
-Not from gggman vid but my issue - bs treatment of for console versions. ps5 bad performance, terrible shimmering, no reflections at all, ton of bugs and I evne had few crashes.
-bad ending and story almost makes no sense
-And another one from me - it controls bad with gamepad. no matter what settings, the deadzones or something are so weird.

I loved a lot of stuff. The atmosphere, sound design, walking around the forest or city at night in a rain. Amazing stuff. The elderly house had fantastic atmosphere with old folks gathered around on a porch....

That dude is a mong, he should stick to his CoD games

Elysium44

Banned
Physical I would have bought it. So they made their decision and i bet quite a few others see it like me.

I just don't think it has much appeal other than to a small minority, being digital is likely not much to do with it. I wouldn't get this if it was free, it isn't something I want. Bear in mind that survival horror is my favourite single player genre.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
That dude is a mong, he should stick to his CoD games
I don't always agree with him.
I would've posted isitworthabuy video too... but that guy hates everything. Even I don't watch him anymore lol.

gggmanlives knows his games but I was very skeptical about his review (watched a bit before the game came out). I was o the same mind as you "well the game is good for sure, he just likes fps games"... but no. I agree with everything he says in the video

Mr Hyde

Would love to buy AW2 if it came in physical box. Might pick it up on sale if Remedy doesn't want to release it physical, but there is just no time for this right now, especially since I thought the first one was kinda mid.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
I’d prefer to wait for a price drop on the Xbox. If it was physical that drop would likely come much earlier, but since it’s digital often it takes a while to drop as deeply as it would if it was physical. Their choice not to release it physically.
You can get it for under 20$ right now on Xbox if you have a vpn!

Surprised? It's exclusively on Epig where a tiny fraction of consumers buy any games other than playing Fortnite. Most Epig-exclusive games flop.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
egs-alanwake2-remedyentertainment-s1-2560x1440-309c7412b7bc.jpg

• Remedy Entertainment has not announced any sales figures for Alan Wake 2 after nearly two months, pointing to poor sales.
  • Exclusivity on Epic Games and the lack of a physical release might have hindered sales.
  • The sales numbers may have improved after Alan Wake 2 won various awards at TGA 2023.
It’s been almost two months since Alan Wake 2 was released. While the game is undoubtedly a massive success among the fans, the financial numbers might not have lived up to expectations.

Despite this impressive horror release, Remedy Entertainment has yet to announce any sales figures, suggesting the game didn’t sell well.

Concerns were raised when Mat Piscatella from Circana reported that the game failed to make it among the top 100 played titles on Xbox and PlayStation. While Epic Games sales weren’t included, this was a major red flag.

In a year like 2023, Remnant 2 sold 1 million copies in a week. Therefore, there was reason to believe Alan Wake 2 would achieve even better results, but nearly two months after launch, Remedy Entertainment has not made any announcements.

Source

I would buy it, but until it comes out in physical format, I'm not going to pay the full price digitally...

That could be the cause...

And I want to play as Alan Wake for most of the game.

Del_X

It's a good game - well produced. Probably has a false reputation for being too demanding on PC hardware and also being on EGS was a mistake.

Robb

Gold Member
I got the impression that their titles usually aren’t very big sellers anyway. So I’d guess it’s in line with expectations, or maybe doing even better than they expected.

eNT1TY

Well at least I'M glad i didn't pay for it since it came free with a GPU i bought. Couldn't tolerate it for more than a few hours before declaring the shit boring as fuck and/or not for me.

Clover904

Alan Wake II is an absolutely brilliant game that pushes the action/horror genre several steps forward.

If you’re a fan of the action/horror but you’re waiting for a physical release or a sale price, you’re doing the genre a huge disservice. Publishers are going to stop putting any kind of decent funding to single player horror unless the game’s name is Resident Evil.

skyfall

I'm convinced that a bunch of you guys just cry woke for the sake of crying woke

except youve been given the evidence and reasoning( sagas caharacter being a white lady orignally then race swapped to a black women ) which happens all the time these days especially in disney movies. Then her in a interview talking about how her type is represented in the role now blah blah blah same narcissistic me me me stuff these demographic of people talk about, then the antiwhite racist dialog in the game. So yes, its the definition of woke

Last edited:
Ya know, I hate the virtue signaling and woke propaganda as much as the next normal person, but why do some people get upset at just saying the words "white" or "black" ? Those words aren't inherently racist per say.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
except youve been given the evidence and reasoning( sagas caharacter being a white lady orignally then race swapped to a black women ) which happens all the time these days especially in disney movies. Then her in a interview talking about how shes represented in the role now blah blah blah same narcissistic me me me stuff these demographic of people talk about, then the antiwhite racist dialog in the game. So yes, its the definition of woke
That actually isn't the definition of woke [or the true/original definition] — which was a term used by African Americans during an era of on-going discrimination and they would refer to their "awareness" of what was going on as being woke. Fast forward to the era of information and this is often defined incorrectly.

That said, I do get what irritates people in our current times and what you mean. Changing the races of characters is annoying, particularly as it carries a double-standard with it. There are other examples, but that stands out to me. I say if we want to be more inclusive, create more diverse characters instead of changing originals for the sake of it (again, especially since it wouldn't be done in all directions for fear of the Cancel Mob).

All that considered, it would sadden me if Wake fails because it really is an enjoyable experience, particularly Wake's scenes.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Remedy games dont typically sell great to begin with despite high production values and often tagging along with a publisher to help them make and market the game.

I havent played the game, but if there's wokish stuff going on (like that image in this thread of the Black character calling white people assholes as if modern day life has every white person being a slave master) then Remedy deserves no pity for jumping on the hate train. If anything they should be as welcoming with arms open as possible to get sales from every gamer.

Last edited:

Zathalus

except youve been given the evidence and reasoning( sagas caharacter being a white lady orignally then race swapped to a black women ) which happens all the time these days especially in disney movies. Then her in a interview talking about how her type is represented in the role now blah blah blah same narcissistic me me me stuff these demographic of people talk about, then the antiwhite racist dialog in the game. So yes, its the definition of woke
The 'antiwhite racist dialog' is said when she is mind controlled to say terrible things. She is horrified by everything she has been saying and her ravings are clearly presented as a bad thing.

And she was race swapped from a character that shares the same name but is from a completely different universe. Alternate universes with differences being a key part of Alan Wake lore and gameplay.

I just think she sucks because she can't do an American accent. Terrible hire.
Ya know, I hate the virtue signaling and woke propaganda as much as the next normal person, but why do some people get upset at just saying the words "white" or "black" ? Those words aren't inherently racist per say.
The context makes it pretty clear to be racist.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
That actually isn't the definition of woke [or the true/original definition] — which was a term used by African Americans during an era of on-going discrimination and they would refer to their "awareness" of what was going on as being woke). Fast forward to the era of information and this is often defined incorrectly.

That said, I do get what irritates people in our current times and what you mean. Changing the races of characters is annoying, particularly as it carries a double-standard with it. There are other examples, but that stands out to me. I say if we want to be more inclusive, create more diverse characters instead of changing originals for the sake of it (again, especially since it wouldn't be done in all directions for fear of the Cancel Mob).

All that considered, it would sadden me if Wake fails because it really is an enjoyable experience, particularly Wake's scenes.
Companies arent race swapping for the sake of it. They are race swapping since it's an easier sell to customers an existing movie or game franchise with a racial or gender swap, then to create a brand new IP where the newly created lead characters are non-whities.

The companies have zero confidence in that kind of material being a big seller.

Wait....lol
So anytime a white actor/actress (that no one knew about) gets swapped with a non-white white actor/actress, it's woke? Like maybe she was cast because she was best for the part?
I mean....its not like this is Alan Wake 2 Remake and she used to be a white lady and they blatantly changed her.
Excluding remakes, do you have any idea how often casting changes in Film, TV, and yes games?

Also, bruh...

840783.jpg

Should I say you're woke?

Edit....you smartly changed your avatar....lol

That actually isn't the definition of woke (which was a term used by African Americans during an era of on-going discrimination and they would refer to their "awareness" of what was going on as being woke). Fast forward to the era of information and this is often described incorrectly.

That said, I do get what irritates people in our current times and what you mean. Changing the races of characters can be annoying, particularly as it carries a double-standard with it. There are other examples, but that stands out to me. I say if we want to be more inclusive, create more diverse characters instead of changing originals for the sake of it (again, especially since it wouldn't be done in all directions for fear of the Cancel Mob).

This I agree with.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The 'antiwhite racist dialog' is said when she is mind controlled to say terrible things. She is horrified by everything she has been saying and her ravings are clearly presented as a bad thing.

And she was race swapped from a character that shares the same name but is from a completely different universe. Alternate universes with differences being a key part of Alan Wake lore and gameplay.
I havent played the game.

So if she got mind controlled to say bad things, does she say any negative stuff to other ethnic backgrounds? Or just against white people?

Top Bottom