• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake 2 | Review + Prediction Thread

What's the average score that Alan Wake 2 will get on Metacritic?

• 96 - 100

Votes: 6 2.4%
  • 91 - 95

Votes: 19 7.7%
  • 86 - 90

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • 81 - 85

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • 76 - 80

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • 71 - 75

Votes: 8 3.2%
  • 66 - 70

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • 65 or Below

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LukeAJN

Wow it is absolutely smashing it, unfortunately the lack of a physical copy will mean I will wait for the inevitable discount at Xmas before buying.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Damn nice scores.

Shame I barely remember the narrative from the first game.

He is a writter with nightmares. Besides that...

dory lessons GIF

Pey.

I played it with a 4070 and I get 30 FPS average at 4K @ Max Settings with Path Tracing and DLSS 3.5. Lowest I got was 20-25 FPS on the woods with Saga, but on smaller levels or even The Dark Place with Alan Wake, it plays at 30-40 FPS. It looks absolutely amazing. I posted lots of 4K screenshots and Path Tracing On Vs Off on my website: https://www.pcmrace.com/2023/10/26/...lay-alan-wake-2-en-4k-con-detalles-al-maximo/

Alan-Wake-2-Screenshot-2023.10.25-02.36.40.63.jpg

Alan-Wake-2-Screenshot-2023.10.25-22.56.39.66.jpg

Alan-Wake-2-Screenshot-2023.10.26-03.56.08.95.jpg

View: https://youtu.be/UB3jImaUj0g

View: https://youtu.be/1ZhuZbx7yFI

View: https://youtu.be/6_6PBZVeZaI

Last edited:
FYI PC guys, green man gaming has the pre-order for ~ $40 if you use the following code:

OCT17

The deluxe edition, which comes with a bunch of gun and character skins, a talisman for revival from a fatal blow, and most importantly 2 future DLC story content, like the first game:

- Night Springs
- Lake House

This edition, after that discount you posted above applied, comes around USD $38.4, in my region.

This is sooo tempting, fuck. I have a very old outdated GPU, that will struggle to run this game and rightfully so - the 1080GTX.

flying_sq

From checking out a couple reviews, I think I will wait until its under $15 with any DLC. It's actually a shame, the first game for me was a blast, but this moody, slow, horror gameplay is not the direction I hoped it would go in. It just kind of seems like they ripped all the fun out of the game. I thought the game was cool, but once you got about halfway through Alan Wake they kind of just had fun. Now this just seems like it takes itself way too seriously.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Not too sure I trust reviewers who would quickly praise a game mainly cause it's inclusive and "woke".
For Marvel I dont think you need reviews to tell you if its "woke" or not. both Disney CG movies and Marvel stuff is trying too hard to be "politically correct", this to me was super obvious even before even the game got released.

Last edited:

MacReady13

What evidence do we have that the inclusion impacted their assessment of the game?
None at all. The gaming industry and large majority of reviewers are not woke at all. They are fair and balanced and never criticize games for not having women protagonists or people of colour or having cops look like good guys etc... That NEVER happens and never influences their opinions of any games today.

Took my hype glasses off and have returned to Wait For Sale. Not digging how many of these glowing reviews kind of just don't get into specifics on breaking down the combat and actual gameplay. The reviews that are doing that are the low ones dinging it for apparent combat and gameplay issues.

Not getting screwed by My Experience reviews again. Gameplay is the most important part for me. Control was the best Remedy game to me hands down exactly because it cut back on Remedy's shtick and went all-in on the combat and level design.

It's an emotional rollercoaster, folks 😭

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Took my hype glasses off and have returned to Wait For Sale. Not digging how many of these glowing reviews kind of just don't get into specifics on breaking down the combat and actual gameplay. The reviews that are doing that are the low ones dinging it for apparent combat and gameplay issues.

Not getting screwed by My Experience reviews again. Gameplay is the most important part for me. Control was the best Remedy game to me hands down exactly because it cut back on Remedy's shtick and went all-in on the combat and level design.

It's an emotional rollercoaster, folks 😭
It's apparent this is a 90% pure atmo game. You would already know if that's something for you

JusticeForAll

Gold Member
Perfect timing. Preloaded on ps5 just as I beat Bowser in Mario Wonder. And after Alan Wake 2, I still have Spiderman 2 waiting. After that still Lies of P and a fully patched Lords of the Fallen. What an amazing year for gaming...

Man, I'm really happy for Remedy and this looks and plays waaaay better than the first one, which I didn't like at all.

Getting the same metacritic score as what Spider-Man 2 will end up as it's final score, in a few weeks after the Edge review, 89 meta, is just the icing on the cake.

images-2.jpg

I'll see myself out before Ass of Can Whooping is back from the dead. 🏃🏃🏃

DonJorginho

Banned
They're one of the only studios who release AAA titles at a very consistent level of quality whilst staying true to their values and creativity as a studio, even their most middling games like QB still have amazing aspects within them that can be admired and noted down for studios to take inspiration on for years to come.

I can admit I am slightly biased as the MP series was one of the first mature games I was ever introduced to through my older sister and I'm a huge David Lynch fan so the inspiration is something I adore tenfold compared to others who aren't as familiar/not fond of his style.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
They're one of the only studio who release AAA titles at a very consistent level of quality whilst staying true to their values and creativity as a studio, even their most middling games like QB still have amazing aspects within them that can be admired and noted down for studios to take inspiration on for years to come.

I can admit I am slightly biased as the MP series was one of the first mature games I was ever introduced to through my older sister and I'm a huge David Lynch fan so the inspiration is something I adore tenfold compared to others who aren't as familiar/not fond of his style.

I love Max Payne and Max Payne 2, the latter holds up exceptionally well today. Nothing they've released since comes close. Alan Wake was a massive disappointment. It's troubled development shows but even in its' paired down state, the game play loop grows tiresome extremely quickly...at least Barry was a fun character. The less said about Quantum Break, the better. I know people enjoy Control a bunch so I'll excuse myself from the discussion as it just didn't click with me. I want to love Remedy because they made one of my favorite games of all time but that was 20 years ago. I'll still probably give this a shot.

Top Bottom