• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Alan Wake II the best game Remedy has ever released?

What is Remedy's Best Game?

• Alan Wake II

Votes: 55 24.1%
  • Control

Votes: 45 19.7%
  • Quantum Break

Votes: 12 5.3%
  • Alan Wake

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne

Votes: 59 25.9%
  • Max Payne

Votes: 50 21.9%
  • Death Rally

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • CrossfireX

Votes: 2 0.9%

• Total voters

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
For me the answer is an easy "Yes".

Alan Wake II really does feel like the culmination of all of the games before it, and is Remedy's magnum opus thus far. It's everything they've been trying to achieve over the last 20+ years all coming together into this one game.

I'd personally rank the Remedy titles I've played as such:

1. Alan Wake II
  2. Max Payne 2
  3. Control
  4. Quantum Break
  5. Max Payne
  6. Alan Wake

Haven't played Death Rally or CrossfireX.

nani17

are in a big trouble
I have yet to play it so I can't really comment on it and I haven't watched much on the game. I will be getting it because many people are saying it's meant to be good.

I didn't finish control because at the time there was issues with it but for me the I loved max Payne 1

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I haven played Control so I can't comment on that one but based on all games I played from Remedy I would say yes.....I even go as far as say I enjoyed AW2 more than Max Payne.

I've only just started Alan Wake 2 for a few hours, But I'm already putting my vote for Control.
Alan Wake 2 already took a big hit with it's draggy cursor detective wall and dialog that talks over itself while your exploring.
Lots of games lately have dialog talking over itself.
What is up with that anyway? Can't developers stop one dialog from auto playing when another is going?

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Will wait to finish to compare to Control.

The thing Control has over this is more gameplay moments and more enemy variety, plus the upgrade system there is better. It’s very fun to fly around throwing furniture at enemies as you come flying in to ground pound and let loose a shotgun blast.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Its Max Payne 3

50 cent laughing GIF

Denton

I only have 8 hours in AW2 so far. I like it a ton, but I have no idea how I will feel by the end.

So for the other games:

1) Quantum Break - absolutely love its time travel story, and gameplay is fun and spectacular

2) Max Payne - total classic of my teenhood, played it with kung fu mod that added "smack by bitch up" during bullet time - masterpiece

3) Max Payne 2 - to be honest, it is probably even better than MP1, but I never had kung fu mod on it...love the melancholic atmosphere though, plus stellar soundtrack

4) Control - weird game storywise, but interesting. Spectacular action with some super creative parts

5) Alan Wake - great atmosphere, but weakest gameplay of all Remedy games, still a solid 8/10

6) Death Rally - yes, I actually played and liked it back in 1998 on my Pentium 100, great game for what it is

Never played CrossfireX, but if it was on PC I would play the campaign.

Ogbert

Put about 10 hours in now.

It’s well done but, for me, the balance is off. Too much downtime. And the combat kinda sucks.

Control at the moment.

Last edited:

Certinty

Combat wise I think Quantum Break wins, especially given all the powers. Control was bland and Alan Wake II the less said about the gunplay the better as it’s very basic.

But… Alan Wake II does everything else better than their other games so it’s their best in my eyes.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Which one of these awesome things do you like most?

Quantum Break, with Alan Wake a close second. I think Control is the most important game in the Remedyverse because of its framework for future games, but Alan Wake is just so much fun to speculate about. Quantum break, to me, feels like the perfect Remedy game with an amazing dedication to staying true to the time paradox along with combining gameplay, cutscenes, tv episodes and all the collectibles to allow the player to experience a truly awesome story. I just wish it got an FPS boost on Series X. The powers are just so much fun with great balance.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Why would anyone vote on quantum break lol. Punchable face main protagonist, tv show as cutscenes, just bad gameplay… I really disliked it.

IMO it’s max Payne 2. Too early to vote for aw2. Show time needs to pass

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
People tend to hate on Quantum break because reasons, I still thinks is an absolutely masterpiece.

If Quantum Break released right before Control as a multi-platform game, I guarantee you it would have been alot better received both critically and from the public.
Unfortunately it came out when hating anything Xbox One was cool and alot of people played it like it was a cover shooter.......its not a cover shooter, ive watched some people gameplays and reviews and im like "you are fucking retarded thats why you think this game sucks".

Vick

Still holding out hope there's a planned physical version to purchase as the original and American Nightmare were among of my favorite games on 360.

In a world of with MP1/2 and Quantum Break gameplays? Heavy amount of walking and managing paper simulation???

Sure, Jam.gif

laugh-michael-jordan.gif
Thanks for being a coherent person.

GAF as a whole on the other hand is as usual still full-blown bipolar/downright spastic when it comes to its definition of "walking simulators", "mediocre gameplay", "braindead puzzles", "cinematic" and "boring".

Hudo

Haven't played Alan Wake II yet but I would be (pleasantly) surprised if it managed to be better than Max Payne 2.

Shut0wen

Really? I fucking alan wake to death but holy shit is alan wake 2 not in a good state, dialog lag is incredibly noticeable and the audio glitch is just annoying

Loved Max Payne 1 and 2 as well as Alan Wake on PC. I didn't enjoy Quantum Break or, especially, Control, anywhere near as much as they both sacrificed the story for action. In fact, I think Control feels conceptually very similar to Quantum Break but with even less compelling characters and story with too much reliance on having to read dull text notes for background information. That is not an issue in Alan Wake 2 where I feel compelled to read all the notes and clues so I don't miss out on anything, which is a testament to how good the writing is in this game for me personally.

Absolutely love Alan Wake 2 which I am about 14 hours into on PC. I have not finished the game yet but even if the rest isn't as good as what I have played then I would still put this down as Remedy's best game to date.

Last edited:

damidu

its going good for the first 4 hours,
but god its difficult to go back to this deliberately clumsy combat after qb and control

GymWolf

From what i'm reading around, fuck no, at least for my taste.

First 2 max payne and control seems all better.

First 2 are cult classic and control has both remedy fuckery and good gameplay\combat, not only the former.

Aw2 looks to me like a death stranding type of game (but better) with an unleashed sam lake turning all the crazy shit to 11.

Could not care less for aw1 or quantum break tbh, second one has some interesting combat but there was not nearly enough of it and half of the plot was inside documents to read (also the serial tv thing was kinda of a terrible idea).

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Could not care less for aw1 or quantum break tbh, second one has some interesting combat but there was not nearly enough of it and half of the plot was inside documents to read (also the serial tv thing was kinda of a terrible idea).

Not nearly enough combat in Quantum Break?
Mate the game was almost entirely action oriented.

Skip watching what the villains are doing (The TV series) and you basically go from action scene to cutscene to upgrade/lore collection(optional) to action scene.....rinse and repeat.
Basically the perfect action game.

Its combat is also down pat, as long as you play the game the way its meant to be played.....its not a cover shooter, cover is only there to recover health when you dont have time shield energy or to confuse enemies after doing a time dash.

Otherwise you are supposed to be playing that game aggressively.
You have time manipulation powers, why would you want to hide at all.

GymWolf

Not nearly enough combat in Quantum Break?
Mate the game was almost entirely action oriented.

Skip watching what the villains are doing (The TV series) and you basically go from action scene to cutscene to upgrade/lore collection(optional) to action scene.....rinse and repeat.
Basically the perfect action game.

Its combat is also down pat, as long as you play the game the way its meant to be played.....its not a cover shooter, cover is only there to recover health when you dont have time shield energy or to confuse enemies after doing a time dash.

Otherwise you are supposed to be playing that game aggressively.
You have time manipulation powers, why would you want to hide at all.
In my old forum we counted the number of encounters in the game and if i remember well it was around 20 to 30 enemy encounters, it was a finite number and every fight was story related, not nearly enough for me, most of the time i was just exploring, reading documents and solving uber simple time travel puzzles and combat once in a while, it was not even in the same realm of perfect action games if you ask me, i was so bored with it that i bailed out 3\4 in, way more combat would have helped immensely.

Skipping important cutscenes to fix the pace of a game is not in my modus operandi nor my job.

Combat was nice and i knew how to play (there was not a cover button so it was clear that it wasn't a cover shooter) but i also remember the protagonist being a bit clunky like he had a broomstick on his ass, movements didn't felt as good as control, same for the gunplay, the time power were the only stand out.

It was better than alan wake 1 i guess, i bailed out from that one way before reaching 3\4 of the game.

Last edited:

Shubh_C63

Glad people are giving CONTROL its due attention. In love with that game.

We should have a Poll on Gaf 1 month from release about how many people have actually able to run AW2. Because I don't think the situation was as dire as we thought.

Top Bottom