• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alec Baldwin Kills Cinematographer Halyna Hutchins With Real Gun

jason10mm

Gold Member
Oh hey. Fuck off. Thanks.

They pay people to make sure it's a harmless prop before handing it to the actor, just like they pay people to make sure the actor knows basic gun safety, just like they pay someone to make sure that the right prop is used, just like they pay someone to buy the fake ammo. By the time Alec got the gun it should have already passed through several levels of safety checks, most of which are there to make sure that if the guy who's probably the dumbest mofo on set doesn't ventilate anyone with actual ordinance.

In order for this to have happened there needed to be a chain of incompetency by people way more knowledgeable than a Hollywood actor. They can barely dress themselves.
I agree. The person responsible is the person who hired the safety team and the gun team, who manages the entire production, and who has the authority to say "STOP" in an unsafe situation. Given his role as co-producer, Alec Baldwin IS that person.

Hollywood has long figured out how to shoot the "shot down the gun barrel" scene. They use a mirror so the gun isn't actually firing at equipment or people. They are far away using a telephoto lens. There are shields up for the humans. None of this is new.

If this was a rehearsal and Alec had a live firing weapon on set, that is a problem. That he cocked and discharged it at people is a BIG PROBLEM. The armorer shares a lot of the responsibility but it ultimately falls on Alec, if only he had learned the Eddie the Eagle lessons from the NRA as a kid...

Now it's possible that everything went according to plan except there was some shrapnel or spalling that just somehow hit Ms. Hutchins in a fatal way (kind of like a freak accident when someone dies from a BB). But I suspect Alec was being negligent and unsafe. Either in the team he helped hire or by not saying "STOP" when the situation became unsafe prior to pulling the trigger on a live weapon (loaded or unloaded) with people around.

Teslerum

Can you stop with this shit until we know more? You clearly have an agenda in this thread by your posts and I think it's pathetic. You're guessing on everything and none of us have any idea what actually happened. Why don't you just relax with the accusations until more information comes out. Jesus
Oh, yeah clearly.

I said *If it turns out to be true that it happened during rehearsal* (because during an actual shoot this situation is completely different, even though imo even the actors should also check a gun first themselves regardless (rudimentary, of course, they don't have to take it apart). That should be protocol.), I said that everyone involved in handling the gun this is responsible. (Which is why I'm not absolving Baldwin), I said that he doesn't take the biggest responsibility in this. Barely even if it was a live shoot.

If you want to accuse me because I care about proper gun safety by EVERYONE who handles a gun, yeah. You have a point about that.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I read that he said to the AD after she called for another take "Another take, what if I shoot you for that" then pointed and fired the gun.

A lot of questions about the weapon, the gun not having blanks, and why would it have live ammo? Why point a gun at people as a joke. Why have a real gun? Just a lot of weird things for this to happen.

This has turned out to be fake.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Horrifying and tragic. I don’t know what makes a gun a “prop gun” but I can’t imagine why live ammunition would ever be on a set.
I don't know anything about this, but do remember reading stuff about prop guns is that it can have rounds in it. But not real live rounds. But if you stood in front of a guy shooting a blank at you, something could shoot out.

As a kid, you get those cap guns that just make sounds. But for prop guns maybe there's different kinds where some strictly make sound, but some shoot fake bullets.

Not sure.

BlackM1st

Banned
I read that he said to the AD after she called for another take "Another take, what if I shoot you for that" then pointed and fired the gun.

A lot of questions about the weapon, the gun not having blanks, and why would it have live ammo? Why point a gun at people as a joke. Why have a real gun? Just a lot of weird things for this to happen.

What a moron.

All that and no charges? Wtf. Like yeah he didn't kill her on purpose, but he still kinda endangered her.

Keihart

May have already been in there, may have been used when filming something else for the movie (not involving human actors).

There are probably multiple fuck-ups by multiple people involved as usual.
Having live rounds makes absolutley 0 fucking sense.
Not to mention that if it was a semi automaitc, those are modified to shoot blanks, so what in the actual fuck was going on.

It's not like they are playing russian rullet "I'll put only one blank and 17 live rounds, after all he only has to shoot once"
blink-182 wtf GIF

Pagusas

Elden Member
Having live rounds makes absolutley 0 fucking sense.
Not to mention that if it was a semi automaitc, those are modified to shoot blanks, so what in the actual fuck was going on.

It's not like they are playing russian rullet "I'll put only one blank and 17 live rounds, after all he only has to shoot once"
blink-182 wtf GIF
even blanks can be deadly.

That's fucking tragic!

Edit:

:messenger_hushed:

Last edited:

Wildebeest

Surely you don't fire even blanks at people for a joke. Not my place to say that this guy is criminally responsible, but I understand people being furious if this is just buried and the only accountability is him sobbing on some talk show or something.

chris121580

Holy shit! Ok, continue on T Teslerum . My apologies

ultrazilla

Gold Member
Eerily similar to the Brandon Lee accidental "prop gun" death. Man, I miss Brandon :messenger_crying::messenger_weary:

This should have never, ever happened again and it did. Gross negligence/manslaughter at the bare minimum. No special
treatment for Baldwin. As a producer, he helped control the set and ultimately he was partly responsible for everyone's safety but
shoots 2 people. Two people! Terrible.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member

Well if this is true then what the fuck

Spaceman292

Banned
Oh hey. Fuck off. Thanks.

They pay people to make sure it's a harmless prop before handing it to the actor, just like they pay people to make sure the actor knows basic gun safety, just like they pay someone to make sure that the right prop is used, just like they pay someone to buy the fake ammo. By the time Alec got the gun it should have already passed through several levels of safety checks, most of which are there to make sure that if the guy who's probably the dumbest mofo on set doesn't ventilate anyone with actual ordinance.

In order for this to have happened there needed to be a chain of incompetency by people way more knowledgeable than a Hollywood actor. They can barely dress themselves.
True but you can only take so many precautions. You can't tie fishing line around Alec's finger to stop him pulling the trigger.

Azurro

Banned

Yup, this mfer should see jail time. wtf.

Lanrutcon

True but you can only take so many precautions. You can't tie fishing line around Alec's finger to stop him pulling the trigger.

I will happily add a torch to the pyre if it turns out that everyone followed protocol and Alec was the one who caused this.

Teslerum

I will happily add a torch to the pyre if it turns out that everyone followed protocol and Alec was the one who caused this.
He isn't. The live round should have never been in that gun. Multiple people fucked up here, possible even before the armourer/prop master. These things are always messy.

Fact is: Everyone, from the manufacturer, to the seller, to the various people that check the gun to the shooter. Take it seriously, a life could be lost if you don't.

MastaKiiLA

Dude. Source on that? A rando Twitter account with zero sourcing on a statement from an anonymous source. Credible, this is not. It might be true, but this is not a trustworthy source for something that incendiary.

Teslerum

Dude. Source on that? A rando Twitter account with zero sourcing on a statement from an anonymous source. Credible, this is not. It might be true, but this is not a trustworthy source for something that incendiary.
Yes, it's fake. Unless some other publication copied this article word for word it was added.

Jury's still out. chris121580 chris121580

FFS, probably a lot of fake news right now. And while I stand by my opinion I truly hope the info's wrong and he didn't cock a gun during rehearsal. Or even worse, played around with it.

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Well short of the way some people might report it it is quite sad and I don't really need to see how distraughty is because truthfully despite how some people like to paint Hollywood actors and some of the douchery that goes around these are still human beings.

Regarding him yelling and jokefully saying he would shoot somebody because in the middle of filming people get quite short and it ain't the first or the last time something like that will be said, that is just mere coincidence unless it is proven otherwise but it is larger than unlikely that an off the cuff comment like that during filming would lead to a freak accident.

Malakhov

Banned
Jon-Erik Hexum killed himself with a blank on a set. Blanks are still dangerous, if he truly pointed and shot at them like what was described in this thread, the idiot deserves jail time

Last edited:
Gonna wait for more info to pass judgement. I despise Alec Baldwin a lot, but if it was an accident, it's hard to hold it against him. If he was negligently playing around and not following what I presume are standard rules for prop guns, then, well, I hope the fucking book gets thrown at him.

Prop guns are essentially canons. Something in the barrel and the pressure of the gunpowder makes it fire any shrapnel in a very deadly way.

Interesting to see how this develops.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Yes, it's fake. Unless some other publication copied this article word for word it was added.

Jury's still out. chris121580 chris121580

FFS, probably a lot of fake news right now. And while I stand by my opinion I truly hope the info's wrong and he didn't cock a gun during rehearsal. Or even worse, played around with it.
Good to know it is fake.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The dude must be completely fucked in the head right now and it seems it mostly wasn't his fault
The dude has attempted suicide before. Wouldnt be surprised if he offs himself in the next few days. Especially if the rumored stories of him pointing the gun at them as a joke are true.

Kilau

Gold Member
I don't know anything about this, but do remember reading stuff about prop guns is that it can have rounds in it. But not real live rounds. But if you stood in front of a guy shooting a blank at you, something could shoot out.

As a kid, you get those cap guns that just make sounds. But for prop guns maybe there's different kinds where some strictly make sound, but some shoot fake bullets.

Not sure.
Yeah after seeing more explanations of it, seems like “shrapnel” can come out which would explain why two people were hit if one he only pulled the trigger once.

With the amount of fake gun fire in movies it must be a very rare occurrence but still seems like these guns should be treated
as if they are loaded with live ammo.

One of the first rules of gun safety is you never point a gun at something you don’t intend to destroy. So sad.

BigBooper

RIP the deceased, hope well for the injured, and eventual peace for Mr Baldwin if it wasn't due to his negligence. Also though, I sure hope this can end the trend of filming with the person staring or pointing at the camera. I want to see a conversation when two people are talking, not two separate super intense monologs.

Gp1

It was confirmed that was a live round? Not a defective blank + debris like what happend in The Crow?

Mossybrew

This sucks. I like Alec Baldwin. Unfortunately I think it's probable that some negligence would have to be involved on his part.

Little Mac

I always saw actor/producer title combo as bullshit ... It seems like every aging actor a now a producer. I wouldn't use the "producer" tag to assign fault or blame ... regardless, lets wait for more info.

"Yeah, it’s often the case that an actor is renegotiating his or her contract on a show that has become successful, and they want more money along with a credit. They don’t actually perform producing duties, on or off the set, but a credit validates the value of their presence on the show — and can enable them to make extra money as a producer and not as an actor (so that other actors don’t feel they should get more, too). In a few of those cases, the actors who’ve gotten producer credits can actually participate in some of the show’s important decisions, including casting actors and choosing directors." - Boston Globe

Again, this is a tragedy. I'm not saying it isn't.

Last edited:
if any kind of debris is in the barrel it doesn't matter if it's a blank cartridge. that shit will fly the fuck right out and damage something. for all we know the gun could've been droppped and some tiny stones got inside (and nobody checked/cleaned it). as soon as that blank goes off it will fire those stones right out so it's essentially no different from a real gun at that point. a real bullet is more dangerous but anything fired at you at high velocity can kill you. people have been killed by much lower powered firearms such as bb/air guns which use 6mm bbs (plastic/metal) or .177/.22 pellets.

that's why some blank guns are not front firing. front firing is prefered for movies because it's more realistic and less post production. just like a real gun the gas will escape out the front of the gun so you will see a muzzle flash at the end of the barrel. the barrel is either full width or reduced but again you stick something in there it will fly out in whatever direction you point it. a top firing blank gun has the barrel blocked and when fired the gas will vent upwards and as a result the "muzzle flash" is seen above the gun. you could stick something in the barrel and fire it and if the debris/object came out it would just fall out instead of being fired out.

for safety i think all blank guns should be made top firing. i know front firing is realistic looking but peoples lives are at risk here. with the technology we have surely it wouldn't be too hard to edit the footage to change the location of the flash?
It was confirmed that was a live round? Not a defective blank + debris like what happend in The Crow?
it's saying a prop gun which shouldn't be capable of chambering a live round. if they somehow put a live round in a blank then i reckon the story would've been about how Alec Baldwin now only has one hand and/or is now blind. a live round in a blank is likely gonna explode because either the barrel isn't wide enough for the bullet to exit or the materials of the gun are far weaker and not capable of handling the pressure of a live round. a blank gun when fired the hot gas goes right out but with a live round there is a period of time in which pressure builds up because of the piece of metal (bullet) still being inside the barrel.

Last edited:

GrayFoxPL

Tragic.

If I was on the set I'd shoot half of the staff and be happy that everyone was pretending to get hit.

Fuck.

fatmarco

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowb...-starring-Alec-Baldwin-LOCKED-New-Mexico.html

"A movie prop masters union has told members it was a live round and not a blank that Alec Baldwin fired at a female cinematographer on Thursday in New Mexico, killing her and wounding the movie's director in a tragic on-set accident. "

He asked people around him 'why was I handed a hot gun?!' according to witnesses on the set "

"It was able to confirm from the call sheet that the props department for the film was staffed with local New Mexican crew, not Hollywood pros. "

Could explain a few things...

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowb...-starring-Alec-Baldwin-LOCKED-New-Mexico.html

"A movie prop masters union has told members it was a live round and not a blank that Alec Baldwin fired at a female cinematographer on Thursday in New Mexico, killing her and wounding the movie's director in a tragic on-set accident. "

He asked people around him 'why was I handed a hot gun?!' according to witnesses on the set "

"It was able to confirm from the call sheet that the props department for the film was staffed with local New Mexican crew, not Hollywood pros. "

Could explain a few things...
Jesus Christ, heads need to roll for that. Can’t really fault Baldwin in his role as an actor, but if he as a producer was responsible for the amateur hour props department…

CGiRanger

Banned
I mean, I still feel it should be common sense or practice even on a film set that you should just quickly check the gun to see if it's loaded or not, even if you've been handed it by the crew with their assurances. Guns are not toys after all.

Top Bottom