• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon kills The Grand Tour and Clarkson’s farm after Jeremy Clarkson spoke the truth about Meghan Markle

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I wouldnt be surprised if this all blows over as Amazon havent actually said anything, and still making shows into 2024 sems a little weird if they are pissed about this.
Its more likely that Clarksons contract is up in 2024, and it may or may not be renewed.

Make no mistake though, the trio may be in their 50's and 60's but someone will snap them up instantly. Their shows are just too popular.

And honestly i'm sick to death of this cancel culture bullshit. No one has a sense of humour anymore. What happened to stuff like this being laughed off, or heaven forbid the person getting roasted does a bit of roasting back?.
What he said was stupid, but so what?, what happened to poeple being stupid and people just ignoring it or laughing it off?.

I am no fan of cancel culture either, but when public figures say/write such childish and aggressive insults at other people they need to accept that it will likely have negative consequences for them. Have to own up to your actions. This is on another level from something trivial like what that LRG community manager did, for example. He wrote an entire column, pouring it on, and even compared her to an infamous serial killer. This isn't merely liking a tweet, following a dubious account on Twitter, or making a joke. It was numerous paragraphs of unfunny, mean girl caliber denigration.

I've read other editorial pieces like this from Clarkson and when he jokes, he clearly jokes. I mean, he's a famously funny person after all. He was not joking here IMO. We all got the obvious Game of Thrones reference, but it did not read like a jest at all - especially when taken with the rest of the column.

But anyways, as you alluded to, he probably merely lost a few gigs. Another media company might pick those shows up, or he'll just move onto his next project. He seems to be far from cancelled - just fired (probably, we don't even know yet AFAIA).

Stuart360

I am no fan of cancel culture either, but when public figures say/write such childish and aggressive insults at other people they need to accept that it will likely have negative consequences for them. Have to own up to your actions. This is on another level from something trivial like what that LRG community manager did, for example. He wrote an entire column, pouring it on, and even compared her to an infamous serial killer. This isn't merely liking a tweet, following a dubious account on Twitter, or making a joke. It was numerous paragraphs of unfunny, mean girl caliber denigration.

I've read other editorial pieces like this from Clarkson and when he jokes, he clearly jokes. I mean, he's a famously funny person after all. He was not joking here IMO. We all got the obvious Game of Thrones reference, but it did not read like a jest at all - especially when taken with the rest of the column.

But anyways, as you alluded to, he probably merely lost a few gigs. Another media company might pick those shows up, or he'll just move onto his next project. He seems to be far from cancelled - just fired (probably, we don't even know yet AFAIA).
Right ok but what was so wrong with the way 'controversy' used to be hondled in the past, where no one is fired, and they wait to see public responce to new projects done by the 'guilty' person ratings wise?. Thats how it used to be and if rating were hit hard by said controversy, the person was fired or didnt have their contracts renewed.

It worked like that for a long time. Now its just anything said or done slightly dodgy, you're finished.

It stinks to be honest.

As an American, never watched any of his shows. But man, Im so sick of anything that has to do with Harry and Meghan. Wish they would go away.
I'm glad they're both attention whores and didn't want to live outside the public eye in my province (their first stop after the UK). Good riddance.

Tams

No I'd trade all those in to say the tabloid media is the problem, which is the entire purpose of Harrys book Spare, to put the blame on the same people who helped kill his mom years ago and are doing their best to get his wife.

Though I dont expect to convince the guy that believe Michael Jackson is in ownership of a time machine that allows him to molest people in buildings that have not been created yet. Have a nice day.

Lots of celebrities get by with the red top rags and gossip mags trying to get stories. They do it by mostly ignoring them or occasionally suing them when they go too far and publish significant defamation.

They're like most bullies; they thrive on attention and recognition. Don't give them that and they get bored and move on pretty quickly. You aren't worth their time if you don't give them stories and they can only publish the shite so much.

And they didn't actually contribute to killing his mum at all. The driver had been drinking because he was off duty that day. But Diana's boyfriend at the time (his boss) demanded he drive them. He sped through a tunnel even local taxi drivers wouldn't. And Diana wasn't wearing a seatbelt.

Last edited:
Lots of celebrities get by with the red top rags and gossip mags trying to get stories. They do it by mostly ignoring them or occasionally suing them when they go too far and publish significant defamation.

They're like most bullies; they thrive on attention and recognition. Don't give them that and they get bored and move on pretty quickly. You aren't worth their time if you don't give them stories and they can only publish the shite so much.

And they didn't actually contribute to killing his mum at all. The driver had been drinking because he was off duty that day. But Diana's boyfriend at the time (his boss) demanded he drive them. He sped through a tunnel even local taxi drivers wouldn't. And Diana wasn't wearing a seatbelt.
To me its not even about liking Harry and Meghan its about understanding that people deserve peace, and no one deserves to be harrased to death or have a fake narrative created about their lives.

An inquest found that the driver and the media were both at fault. Go and chase a person into the street who has had a drink and they get hit and killed a car are you not at fault. If someone speedily chases you till you crash are they not at fault. No chase and Diana more than likely just goes home that night. Instead she ends up in a mangled vehicle surround by flashbulbs and people who would rather take a picture than try to even help in any manner.

They are the bullys? Who have they bullied? Where are these victims. That statement is nonsense. Some big stories were Meghan enters the car before the queen. When in truth the queen told her to get in the car first. Meghan refuses to curtsy, which is a lie, Meghan puts her hand on her pregnant stomach too much. Lord forbid. Meghan is really white even though she isnt. Meghan laughed at the queens funeral. Meghans family are thugs from the wrong sides of the tracks. Thats bullying, they have accused Meg of doing everything Kate did with no issue. Megans a demon for wearing a strap on her shoulder, but not kate.

The stories about Harry and Meghan are largely fabricated. They take a stone boiling in water and create a 9 course meal with it. You also have people who in the royale household, who have their own agendas feeding whatever they can to the media.

I dont think you understand the parasitic nature of whats going on. These photos and stories are worth hundreds of thousands of dollars. You say ignore them and it goes away. Mosquitos need blood. For years Harry took that route, he ignored them it never went away. The palace would not even let him respond. Prince Charles said ignore it, but it never worked. Whereever Harry went they showed up, even putting his life in danger, sneaking onto a military base. The suing is whats happening now and they are as malicious as ever, backed by some in the public who are clearly uninformed. You literally have photogs physically running their bodies into Harry to get a story nd rection.

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Episode 2 Whatever GIF

Is probably his response.

He managed to get away punching someone then got more money. Dude don’t give a fuck. Once all the prime subscribers cancel they will find a way to bring him back.

I don’t endorse what he did or said.
I’m pointing out he can afford to retire.

But it’s not the first time he has said something near the line anyway.

Last edited:
Top Bottom