• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon's LOTR Series Has a Title: The Rings of Power

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
Kind of nice they didn't use CGI for that. Here's to hoping the series doesn't suck.

DKehoe

FJelPYsXIAUfBkP

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Hmmm. I wish they’d gone much further back to Morgoth’s era, and created what would feel like a completely original, separate story. As this stands it firmly feels like prequel stuff… and prequels never really hit the spot all that well. Will still watch, but a shame they’ve left so much excellent material untapped, just to play off all the stuff we’ve already seen.

iorek21

I have a faint hope that there will be hobbits involved in it in some capacity. There's no Lord of the Rings without hobbits.

Star-Lord

Amazon have been fairly hit-and-miss when it comes to their original content, so I’m in two minds how I feel about this. They have a shit ton of content to work from, and the groundwork has been laid for them, but I still fear they’ll fuck it up, and Tolkien deserves better than that.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Beautiful title sequence. They have a billion dollars, we know production values are high, lets hope the writing is too.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I have a faint hope that there will be hobbits involved in it in some capacity. There's no Lord of the Rings without hobbits.

You're in luck! There will be Hobbits!

In fact, there will be a settlement of multicultural Hobbits, including Asian and Maori Hobbits!

Lenny Henry is playing a black Hobbit and he had this to say on the matter:

“[The Second Age] is a prequel to the age that we’ve seen in the films, it’s about the early days of the Shire and Tolkien’s environment, so we’re an indigenous population of Harfoots, we’re hobbits but we’re called Harfoots, we’re multi-cultural, we’re a tribe not a race, so we’re black, asian and brown, even Maori types within it.”

Jennings

The Lord of the Rings of Power doesn't roll off the tongue too well, but you can't go wrong with fantasy shows. I do hope the show doesn't get too complicated. The movies were crazy complex when there was only ONE ring in the world, I can't imagine all the problems a bunch of rings will cause.

Last edited:
“[The Second Age] is a prequel to the age that we’ve seen in the films, it’s about the early days of the Shire and Tolkien’s environment, so we’re an indigenous population of Harfoots, we’re hobbits but we’re called Harfoots, we’re multi-cultural, we’re a tribe not a race, so we’re black, asian and brown, even Maori types within it.”
The Harfoot multicultural Hobbit tribe... Is this an Amazon invention?

I have absolutely zero faith in this series. I can almost guarantee it'll take a huge dump on Tolkien and the world he created. No way this treats the source material with any respect.

Well when you go in with that attitude based in zero evidence then I'm sure you will find a reason to hate it.

IDKFA

The Harfoot multicultural Hobbit tribe... Is this an Amazon invention?

Sort of. They are not multicultural or multiracial (there appearance is more southern European in Tolkien's source material), but they do exist. Call it creative liberties.

Well when you go in with that attitude based in zero evidence then I'm sure you will find a reason to hate it.

I've seen enough evidence to tell me this will be gash.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Is there any reason to be optimistic here people? Do we got a chance of this being good?! Please respond with LotR gif.

Sort of. They are not multicultural or multiracial (there appearance is more southern European in Tolkien's source material), but they do exist. Call it creative liberties.

I've seen enough evidence to tell me this will be gash.

I'm sure you have....

iorek21

You're in luck! There will be Hobbits!

In fact, there will be a settlement of multicultural Hobbits, including Asian and Maori Hobbits!

Lenny Henry is playing a black Hobbit and he had this to say on the matter:

Oh…

Well, at least there’s a chance “Concerning Hobbits” will play in these scenes 😶

Kimahri

Banned
The idea of multicultural hobbits is just so oposite of how hobbits function that I don't know how the estate let this pass.

I mean, hello? The whole deal with Bilbo was that he was a very strange one who left home and went on a journey. How do we have multi cultural hobbits when they don't leave home?

Suppose we have to turn our brains off for this.

I'm fine with maori hobbits or whatever, just make it a community somewhere on the map where it could make some reasonable form of sense.

ManaByte

Gold Member
"Nine for the mortal men doomed to die."

But

They didn't die.

They became wraiths. There was no body. Looks like they watched the High Fels part of the Hobbit and are going from there.

Lunarorbit

That's how I feel about the new high era star wars show. Rings of power as the title, makes me think I know where this is already going based on the books.

Another example is the show andor. I know you die at the end of rogue one. Sorry, I can't get as invested anymore. Also like the Bible. Jesus dies like halfway through. Spoiler warning please

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I have a deep love of Tolkien's Middle Earth. I read everything he wrote on it, even the long and often boring Silmarillion. The second they make a clear break from the meticulous world he created in order to pander I'll be out. If that's in the first five seconds so be it.

And no, I don't need to accept it just because "it's fantasy". It's a wonderfully constructed world that existed before our own. It works precisely because it is different, and exact, as Tolkien envisioned it. That's why it resonates so. I am not interested in what lesser creators think that world should be.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I've kinda given up hope for a version of this that feels like it could actually be an early history of Europe.

So I just want awesome costumes, lots and lots of well choreographed battles, tons of tits, and a fast paced show with epic moments and lots of twists.

Basically a high budget Spartacus with Hobbits :p

ZehDon

Gold Member
I thought the title reveal was CGI because, frankly, it looked cheap. That it was practical, and they somehow made it look like cheap CGI, doesn't bode well at all. Add in how they did WoT dirty, and I'm expecting this to be a flaming train wreck.

Last edited:

Tschumi

Okay look... If Tolkien said it this way, that's fine, but if not, if it's something Hugo weaving made up, then FUCK WHOEVER DECIDED IT WAS

"MORHDHORH"

I am beyond triggered by the way that narrator said "in the land of MOOHHTRRDROORDDFHH where the shadows lie"

the office rage GIF

IDKFA

I'll be so much more entertained if it ends up being a complete trainwreck full of identity politics. Please, be shit.

You might be in luck.

All signs point to this being absolutely full of identity politics and totally pissing on the world Tolkien created to cater for a "global audience".

Top Bottom