• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon's LOTR Series Has a Title: The Rings of Power

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I love the movies but come on. It’s not very faithful.

What are you comparing it to?

Are there films out there more faithful to the original work considering the size and scope of the books? If it's indeed "not very faithful" I'd need to see a list of other adaptations (non LotR obviously) that are considered closer to the authors vision.

I'm open to being wrong here. I'm reading the books for the first time (just started TTT) and I thought The Fellowship did as well as could be expected considering time constraints.

What are you comparing it to?

Are there films out there more faithful to the original work considering the size and scope of the books? If it's indeed "not very faithful" I'd need to see a list of other adaptations (non LotR obviously) that are considered closer to the authors vision.

I'm open to being wrong here. I'm reading the books for the first time (just started TTT) and I thought The Fellowship did as well as could be expected considering time constraints.
I’m comparing it to the books. It may well have done as well as could be expected but there are still big deviations. Just in FotR I can think of Tom Bombadil, Fatty Bolger, Glorfindel, the characterisation of Saruman.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I’m comparing it to the books. It may well have done as well as could be expected but there are still big deviations. Just in FotR I can think of Tom Bombadil, Fatty Bolger, Glorfindel, the characterisation of Saruman.

I think we're discussing two different points.

I took issue with the poster saying LotR needs to "appeal to modern audiences" in order to be successful.

I'd argue the themes in the books + movies are timeless rather than "modern" and they seemed to make a bunch of money. I'm not necessarily referring to how close they got to the books in terms of scenes and characters.

It's possible that I'm wrong and a TV adaptation that attempts to adhere to Tolkiens themes would bomb today. I doubt it though.

Last edited:

Marvel14

Banned
I normally skip adaptations because they're normally not faithful to the source material, and also it's never as good as I imagined it in my head. However, if this is truly a faithful adaptation then I might give it a shot. Thanks.
Philip Pullman was an executive producer and creative consultant on it.

Marvel14

Banned
I could be wrong. I just don't see many LotR fans who don't have a reverence for the films. Non scientific sample size and all.

The Hobbit Trilogy on the other hand...
They were an action driven approximation faithful to the core themes and events.

But the characters and breadth of the world suffered as a result. What they did to TreeBeard and the Ents was criminal.

Marvel14

Banned
I have not watched them. The premises aren’t that interesting to me. With so many shows out there I had to find a way to determine what to watch. I am watching the Jeremy Brett Sherlock Holmes series at the moment - love it. Before that it was The Detectorists. Just a class above in terms of quality I think.
Imdb may not be the most reliable source to base your opinion on btw. Here's the top rated review of His Dark Materials from IMDB:

Even though I never read the books, I KNOW this is based off of them. Other reviews suggesting that this is a waste of money and comparing it to The Golden Compass, even they are one and the same except the series is far superior because it can actually delve into the source material. People need to do a little research and quit being lazy before spouting off about something they know nothing about obviously.

I've seen other series get the same treatment because people don't read or do research. So annoying. Anyway the show is great. Yes, the movie only got the tip of the iceberg. The show actually goes deeper into the relationships of characters and their backgrounds. The acting is good. The actors are fantastic. And it is British because it's supposed to be.

Give it three episodes before you throw it away due to crappy reviews giving this show the shaft.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
I normally skip adaptations because they're normally not faithful to the source material, and also it's never as good as I imagined it in my head. However, if this is truly a faithful adaptation then I might give it a shot. Thanks.
The Daniel Craig film was much better.

Imdb may not be the most reliable source to base your opinion on btw. Here's the top rated review of His Dark Materials from IMDB:

Even though I never read the books, I KNOW this is based off of them. Other reviews suggesting that this is a waste of money and comparing it to The Golden Compass, even they are one and the same except the series is far superior because it can actually delve into the source material. People need to do a little research and quit being lazy before spouting off about something they know nothing about obviously.

I've seen other series get the same treatment because people don't read or do research. So annoying. Anyway the show is great. Yes, the movie only got the tip of the iceberg. The show actually goes deeper into the relationships of characters and their backgrounds. The acting is good. The actors are fantastic. And it is British because it's supposed to be.

Give it three episodes before you throw it away due to crappy reviews giving this show the shaft.

I’ll tell you what - I’ll watch it this weekend. I saw that it’s on one of my streaming service. It better be good.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Do people think this Amazon series will be Hobbit trilogy levels of shit, worse than the Hobbit trilogy, or be absolutely amazing?

Personally, I think it's going to be worse than the Hobbit trilogy. I hope to be wrong, but considering a lot of this plot will be made up fan fiction and Amazon aiming to appeal to a mass global audience, I have very little hope that this series will be respectful to the source material.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I don't have high expectations so I don't have high disappointment. I think they are going to add modern sensibilities to the works of Tolkien. I think it will look good though, it has a billion dollar budget.

IDKFA

I don't have high expectations so I don't have high disappointment. I think they are going to add modern sensibilities to the works of Tolkien. I think it will look good though, it has a billion dollar budget.

I have no doubt it'll look the part, but I have little faith it'll do justice to the world Tolkien created.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
Do people think this Amazon series will be Hobbit trilogy levels of shit, worse than the Hobbit trilogy, or be absolutely amazing?

Personally, I think it's going to be worse than the Hobbit trilogy. I hope to be wrong, but considering a lot of this plot will be made up fan fiction and Amazon aiming to appeal to a mass global audience, I have very little hope that this series will be respectful to the source material.
It’s gonna blow ass.

IDKFA

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
But if you don't have the picture as a reference is it talking about person A close up on hands and can't see face but but multiple people with hands clasped together?

Almost every time such a sentence was crafted it would be" he" or "she", maybe "his or her". The use of a plural pronoun to describe an anonymous single individual to folks who can't see that it is a single person is confusing IMHO.

Close up of someone’s hands. We do not see this person’s face. His or her hands are clasped together and there is gold dust on their fingers. The person is wearing golden and jeweled bracelets and a flowing robe with golden triangles wrapped over their shoulders."

See, that is the way to use" their" for a singular person of unknown gender.

I've always seen "they" used for a singular person... in regular conversation and even in professional text.

I always understood its meaning.

Tams

I've always seen "they" used for a singular person... in regular conversation and even in professional text.

I always understood its meaning.
Same. It's used if the sex of the person is unknown (either the fact unknown or it being general/impersonal).

The only difference is now people insisting they* be referred to as 'they' even when you know their* sex.

*prime examples of singular they

JCK75

It depends, I think it will be very uncomfortable if they include whatever genocide took place that resulted in all of these black characters no longer existing as a race in the stories this precludes.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
People were wondering if it would just be the Hobbits who'd be multiracial in this series, but looking at the photos from that article it's confirmed elves and dwarves will also be multiracial.

Not only that but canonically dwarfs show very little sex dimorphism… so they decided to “adapt” that.

They’re clearly not interested on what Tolkien wrote, they just want his name as insurance against their investment.

Top Bottom