• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD: Both XSX and PS5 RDNA2 based and have Hardware RT

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Fair enough.

Some websites take the VXF Guy seriously as well wich is absolutely Dumb as hell lmao

What is logical to believe tho is that AMD wouldnt have any interest on making any discrimination between the big two Sony and MS. Not realeasing same based gpu architecture is too Far fetched. AMD is not a fanboy TimDog type, they want to make money out of each unit sold from both companies, no logical reason for favoring one over the other

The TF is another story tho. That depends on How hard both are willing to push Power relatively to their target retail prices

VFX is a verified member of this community.

squarealex

....and Microsoft does't claim they have the most powerful console ever build with Series X like Project Scorpio at E3 2016.

images

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
There's no card being played here, there's the fact that one is a substantially larger business partner than the other, and one is an order of magnitude larger business itself with far more to spend, where's the fire?

Disregard business facts to your hearts content, that has no bearing on reality.

Semi-custom ones, investments and sales potential, the console businesses of both are stacked up to each other especially on the piece where most semi custom investment occurs... aka the GPU.

I should not be surprised as it was similar to the thought that Azure was starting to screw over third party partners to favour the darling internal Xbox brand. Talking about disregarding business facts hehe :rolleyes:.

Pallas

Please don’t get overly excited without some sort of official confirmation from Sony, which by the way WHY ARE YOU SO QUIET SONY?

I want both consoles to be beasts since I want to buy both but believing and hyping this could lead to major disappointment.

Fair enough.

Some websites take the VXF Guy seriously as well wich is absolutely Dumb as hell lmao

What is logical to believe tho is that AMD wouldnt have any interest on making any discrimination between the big two Sony and MS. Not realeasing same based gpu architecture is too Far fetched. AMD is not a fanboy TimDog type, they want to make money out of each unit sold from both companies, no logical reason for favoring one over the other

The TF is another story tho. That depends on How hard both are willing to push Power relatively to their target retail prices

Weren’t you banned because of the same shit? Pseudo insider? Or did you get vetted finally?

HolyTruth

Banned
They won't be happy
1oioI0Z.jpg

9 TF is very powerful. Also that Tweet is from last year. It’s March now. So who knows.

If Sony PS5 is so super powerful why not just say it? Why led all the negative press still go? Why give Xbox still all the buzz being the way more powerful console? Why not just say it?
A single tweet PS5 > 12TF would be enough. Why not do it?

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
Haha who are we kidding in few hours they will start 8 tf rdna1 ps5 lol but muhhhhh githubbbbb saidddd😂

OP. Go outside. Meet a lovely girl or boy. Something.

Anything but getting this salty and obsessed over dumb gaming consoles.

I can guarantee you that if the PS5 is 13TF, you will be okay. I can guarantee you that if it’s 9TF, you will be okay.

In the end, both will be running similar games, and just like this generation, look nigh on identical. Which makes all this insanity, and normal people being forced to read it on gaming side, even more asinine.

Psykodad

Banned
9 TF is very powerful. Also that Tweet is from last year. It’s March now. So who knows.

If Sony PS5 is so super powerful why not just say it? Why led all the negative press still go? Why give Xbox still all the buzz being the way more powerful console? Why not just say it?
I think chances are higher that Sony is confident in the PS5 and thus feel no need to combat all the "negative" press.

If the PS5 is equal to XSX, the negativity will be killed off the moment Sony starts showing what they'll bring with PS5.

Pallas

They won't be happy
1oioI0Z.jpg

So are we pro-Schreier now? I notice a lot of people quoting that screen shot and it honestly feels like the part “Microsoft has been well behind Sony in communication” is exaggerated, since we are literally getting nothing from them except a logo and word of the mouth tidbits from developers.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I think chances are higher that Sony is confident in the PS5 and thus feel no need to combat all the "negative" press.

If the PS5 is equal to XSX, the negativity will be killed off the moment Sony starts showing what they'll bring with PS5.

It is also possible that it is a tiny bit slower than XSX in the raw TFLOPS score, so change the game where you do not win in raw numbers, despite maybe having some features and customisations that can help fill the gap a bit when well used and are waiting to show games and generate proper buzz for that to be believed and not brushed aside.

Well this isn't entirely accurate, it all depends on how valuable their business is and how much money they're giving them.

Not all business is equal and I'd wager Microsoft is a much more valuable partner for AMD than Sony is.

You are wrong.

AMD has a percentual gain from each unit sold. Given how much more PlaySyation Brand is popular worldwide., If anything, they can even get morr money out of Sony as the market leader tban MS.

Sony investment on gaming division is huuuge. Champions league psrtnership alone for so many years is a ridiculous ammount of money.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
So are we pro-Schreier now? I notice a lot of people quoting that screen shot and it honestly feels like the part “Microsoft has been well behind Sony in communication” is exaggerated, since we are literally getting nothing from them except a logo and word of the mouth tidbits from developers.

You are not getting much, but developers making the games you will play? That matters a tiny bit more, wouldn’t you agree?

Ascend

What I'm curious about is how things will be handled on the PC side of things, because as far as I know RTX is proprietary. So I have no idea how future AMD RT cards will handle past RTX titles like Metro Exodus for example.
RTX is proprietary, but DXR is not. It's basically like HairWorks. HairWorks is proprietary, but tessellation is not.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.

9 Tflops is not so similar to 12 Tflops though and he gets his information from developers

Look at how long it took Sony to respond to "PS5 only has software raytracing"

They are doing things on their own schedule and are probably putting the finishing touches on a good next generation showing 👍

You are wrong.

AMD has a percentual gain from each unit sold. Given how much more PlaySyation Brand is popular worldwide., If anything, they can even get morr money out of Sony as the market leader tban MS.

Sony investment on gaming division is huuuge. Champions league psrtnership alone for so many years is a ridiculous ammount of money.
No I am 100% correct, you're thinking small fries here. Sony's only partnership with AMD is consoles, Microsoft has that, plus they have the Windows division, Surface, Cloud, Enterprise and so on and so forth.

It's apples to oranges.

Hobbygaming

Schreier has always had good info and to provide some context from the other tweets, he was talking about the communication between Microsoft and 3rd party developers at the time

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
9 Tflops is not so similar to 12 Tflops though and he gets his information from developers

Look at how long it took Sony to respond to "PS5 only has software raytracing"

They are doing things on their own schedule and are probably putting the finishing touches on a good next generation showing 👍
We live in a reality where a 1080p image with DLSS upscaled to 4K can look better than a native 4K image. In console terms: A 3 TF RDNA2 console that uses something similar to DLSS (like Microsofts DirectML) can achieve a better result than a 12 TF XSX that just creates a native 4K image (just an example, we don't know yet if there will be some machine learning cores in XSX). So a 9 TF PS5 that uses machine learning upscaling will for all we know look better than a 12 TF XSX that does not. It's not just about TF anymore. It tells you nothing about the actual power differences.

Pallas

You are not getting much, but developers making the games you will play? That matters a tiny bit more, wouldn’t you agree?
No, not really. Everyone tends to hype up shit way too much in this industry and it tends to fail to meet the potential that we create from the hype. If you want to believe tidbit information that is vague without actual
Official numbers then that is your prerogative. Just like I’m not putting much stock into the news about Sony struggling with costs, pricing the console and shortages.

There’s way too much misinformation floating around and since Microsoft decided to release official partial information on the specs to dispel some of the misinformation, Sony should really get on the ball and do the same. That and it’s really getting tiring to see people claim it’s gonna be 9.2TF or
14TF on here.

We can finally put to rest what Phil meant by double the power of Xbox one X, now I’m hoping Sony will put to bed their biggest question mark.

Last edited:

qiqiqiiq

What negative press? a lot of fanboys tearing each other apart on some internet forums? I am a Marketing teacher and a homework I give my students for every week is to bring and comment news about marketing, new product releases, business etc. The week Sony showed the PS5 logo and spoke about a couple of things they already mentioned before like hardware based ray tracing a lot of my students brought those news, but when Microsoft confirmed the GPU Power of the XBOX none of them talked about that, even I was surprised they didn't mention anything about XBOX.

The same DF that said it lacks context so they can’t draw definitive conclusions to the data? That DF?

It’s like some don’t even watch the videos, they just parrot what other people claim is said in them.
Well it pissed me off when that DF video came up after we found out through people in the know that the github leaks was not conclusive of anything.
DF should have not ran with the story. Do we want DF to start running insider rumours too?

Ristifer

Starting to think that if I won the lottery, I'd just pay you all what you want so I wouldn't have to hear "flops" again.

ruvikx

Banned
Yeah they are starting to lose my interest when they're running with unconfirmed and inconclusive data from the github leak.

To me it looks as if they did it for the clicks.

And we're now running with random quotes posted 40 days ago on some Indian site which no one cared about until now? Don't get me wrong I have no horse in this race but the extremes some people go to to believe one site over the other (whilst trashing DF as well) is pretty hilarious.

bRacing

Banned
Cool, I'll buy the one at launch that has more TFlops. Gotta maximize performance in whatever Rockstar and CDPR create.

Hobbygaming

We live in a reality where a 1080p image with DLSS upscaled to 4K can look better than a native 4K image. In console terms: A 3 TF RDNA2 console that uses something similar to DLSS (like Microsofts DirectML) can achieve a better result than a 12 TF XSX that just creates a native 4K image (just an example, we don't know yet if there will be some machine learning cores in XSX). So a 9 TF PS5 that uses machine learning upscaling will for all we know look better than a 12 TF XSX that does not. It's not just about TF anymore. It tells you nothing about the actual power differences.
Jason also spoke on this and the two consoles do have areas where each one excels in, we'll have to see ;)

VFX is a verified member of this community.

For having worked on software programing wich doesnt make him so much involved on this industry with so many contacts from hundreds of devs like he tries to imply.

Its too blatant obvious How he presente himself as someone who has a clearly fanboy agenda. Long before we knew anything about Xbox series X, he had been made millions of posts telling that consoles would have midgen gpus similar tô what we had in the current gen

The other day, there was a leak posted on Reddit suggesting that ps5 would have ,8tf-9tf, he suddenly appears claming to have just recieved a call from someone in the industry conforming that to 100% accurate lmao. Who believe in that shit, seriously ?

Hes now preaching two ps5 skus wich is not an original rumour coming from him, maybe because hes now not as confident that Sony Will release a "weak' ps5 and thats It. Hes not so sure about ps5 being 9tf but want this to be true so much that he then came up with thist "two skus" Story wich, again, It is not his rumor despite some inocente giving him credit for this lol

He came as Far as to say that Sony would release a ps5 pro as mid gen refresh years after original ps5 that would still be weaker than a 2020 séries x lmao

He shouldnt be taken seriously by the time it was confirmed series X is on 2080 super range when he had been preached consoles would be much weaker than that for só long

So we only focusing on Github and ignoring DF who also ran with it?
In fairness, DF didn't "run" with anything. They did a comparative analysis based on this leak and were VERY clear that it wasn't based on anything official.

Still, I kinda feel they really shouldn't have as it did nothing but fuel fanboy nonsense.

Yeah they are starting to lose my interest when they're running with unconfirmed and inconclusive data from the github leak.

To me it looks as if they did it for the clicks.
That's all they do, they are a business, and their business lives or dies based upon their ability to get you to watch their content. They used to be highly objective, just raw data with no speculation or determinations of what was better or worse according to them but as of late they interject way too much of themselves into the content and it's nauseating.

I mean this is just one example but take Kingdom Hearts III, on Xbox One X it's 1440p and it runs quite close to its target of 60 FPS with obvious dips. It's definitely not perfect. Well on the Pro it's 1296p with worse performance; so what do they do? They say to force the system into 1080p mode which puts it just a notch above the Xbox One X's performance (both are still not consistent) and then they go on to determine that the PlayStation 4 Pro version at 1080p is the best way to play the game.

I'm sitting there just thinking: "So, instead of a 76% increase in resolution with relatively same'ish inconsistent performance (1-3 FPS difference overall), you're now suggesting that I sacrifice all that resolution to play at 1080p on this $400 "4K" console?"...

It blows my mind, if you have the X and the Pro the X version is the clear choice on the back of a 76% uplift in resolution as a trade for a few dropped frames, they're dropping regardless so what's the logic on making this "Pro version is the best" determination?

Controversy, that's what it is, they thrive on it.

No I am 100% correct, you're thinking small fries here. Sony's only partnership with AMD is consoles, Microsoft has that, plus they have the Windows division, Surface, Cloud, Enterprise and so on and so forth.

It's apples to oranges.

We are talking about the specific hardware console market confrontration (ps vs Xbox) in wich theres obviously no economic incentive to AMD to favour one over the other, specially when the other actually belongs to a more popular Brand Worldwide that can actually give more in return than the favored one, since AMD gains a percentual for each unit sold (the one that selos more give more in return).

Dont want to offend anyone here, but the guys who love that mantra "Microsoft owns ALL the money in the world" and treat the "small little bug Sony" as an amatuer company on the play as If they are not the ones who have history/tradition/popularity/brandstrentgh on their side is already on a type of Phil Spencer cult

It sounds funny to me, but in reality is a bit sad

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
Please don’t get overly excited without some sort of official confirmation from Sony, which by the way WHY ARE YOU SO QUIET SONY?

I want both consoles to be beasts since I want to buy both but believing and hyping this could lead to major disappointment.

Weren’t you banned because of the same shit? Pseudo insider? Or did you get vetted finally?

Please don't get excited? Where have I heard that before? Oh...…"Please don't read too much into this" I'd Bet.....

Funny, how so few people gave such admonitions when the 9.2TF bandwagon was in swing, hell, it's still in full swing even now......Hey! 9.2TF, don't read too much into it guys, wait for official confirmation by Sony......I can't say I saw too much of that tbh....

Why should they be reactionary and rush? Scrambling to counter that only makes it look like they were caught off-guard by this and are "mee too"-ing. They're the industry leader right now, they can move at their own pace.

Plus... what negative press? There's no negative press from any serious outlet, as there's nothing to report on but rumors and speculation. Anyone adopting that is clearly just choosing their "leak" of choice too, as there are multiple leaks from multiple sources, all with their own details.

Maybe stop expecting them to react to fanboy blogs and YouTube videos.

Last edited:

Mass Shift

....and Microsoft does't claim they have the most powerful console ever build with Series X like Project Scorpio at E3 2016.

images

Well if you don't know for sure then you don't put it out there.

The embarrassment would be difficult to overcome, and MS doesn't need a PR setback like that before launch. So far they've played a very good hand. They have everyone positively engaged, and generally looking forward to whatever they have planned.

There's still a lot of features and points left to be covered. CPU, Memory, SSDs, possible A.I., prices and of course GAMES.

It's still too early to go all in.

bond-25-jeffrey-wright-ottimista-sul-ritorno-felix-leiter-nel-nuovo-film-james-bond-v3-334834.jpg

D

Deleted member 779727

Unconfirmed Member
The problem that many of us have is that delusional idea that they (Sony/AMD etc) Care so much about what a bunch of nerds on a fórum that represent a fraction of the global market say or speculate.

They Just dont.

AMD revealing info to appeas fanboys isnt what I meant. This is information regarding the core architecture that both consoles would be sharing. This should've been revealed the first time Zen 2 8C/16T and Navi was confirmed for both.

Top Bottom