• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD is Starfield’s Exclusive PC Partner

nemiroff

Gold Member
If you can't make an argument without regurgitating desperate levels of whataboutism perhaps it's better to leave that "post" button alone.

Make better tech, protect your ip, make deals with partners to promote it, that's fine. But don't pretend that "protecting" customers from competing better tech is acceptable. No matter who's doing it, it's bad. It's that simple.

Just to recap, we don't know for sure, but everything points towards there being a real risk that AMD is willing to demand competing upscaler tech in Starfield to be blocked, and that's what this thread is about IMO. If we can create some buzz to help encourage MS/Bethesda/AMD to make the right decision here then it's only a good thing. So pretty please take your whataboutism and shove it.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
The AMD Starfield bundle starts tomorrow July 11th

eurbQbW.png

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-sta...clude-ryzen-7000-cpus-and-radeon-rx-6600-gpus

hlm666

I don't get the pricing either and looking around seems a lot of people are asking what those numbers mean
I was going to say maybe a combined value of cpu/gpu purchase gets you to the different tiers, then I saw the numbers and not sure you could get to those values unless your buying multiple cpu/gpu bundles. So i'm left scratching my head aswell.

edit: AMD bringing back crossfire confirmed, 2 7900xtx and a 7850x for starfield 4k60. /s

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I don't get the pricing either and looking around seems a lot of people are asking what those numbers mean

I was going to say maybe a combined value of cpu/gpu purchase gets you to the different tiers, then I saw the numbers and not sure you could get to those values unless your buying multiple cpu/gpu bundles. So i'm left scratching my head aswell.

edit: AMD bringing back crossfire confirmed, 2 7900xtx and a 7850x for starfield 4k60. /s

Looks like that is the dollar value of each edition of Starfield in Taiwanese dollars.

In USD, it would say $99.99 and $69.99

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Who buy games more than 70 bucks? The special editions were never worth it. Base Game is all you need.

It won't actually cost users more in this case. Users buying a 6700+ GPU or the R9 CPUs just get access to the premium version (other than being required to purchase a more expensive piece of hardware, obviously).

Last edited:

Fredrik

Who buy games more than 70 bucks? The special editions were never worth it. Base Game is all you need.
Premium edition gives you access to the game 5 days early. And who wouldn’t want to play a Bethesda game without a day 1 patch? Bet it’ll be all sorts of fun!

Last edited:

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I dunno with Miles Morales on PC I preferred AMD's scaling option and I have an nVidia card.

Wooxsvan

So i got my 7900xtx and activated my promo code, now AMD's site says they will send my game key closer to launch. Does anyone know, from past experience, does that typically mean we get it in time for preload? especially considering its the premium edition which gives access on 9/1.

Bumping this one because of what we've already assumed has basically come true:

Investigations into the Starfield preload files reveal a distinct lack of Nvidia DLSS or Intel XeSS footprints, suggesting it will only support AMD FSR.
According to Twitter user Sebasti66855537, the Starfield preload files show no sign of Nvidia DLSS or Intel XeSS. Sharing a screenshot of the game's expanded installation folder, there's nary a trace of team green or blue to be found.

Neither AMD nor Bethesda has confirmed that Starfield will only support FSR, but we certainly hope this isn't the case. Technologies like Nvidia DLSS Frame Generation would greatly serve to improve Starfield performance, even if it currently remains exclusive to GeForce RTX 40 series graphics cards for now.

Last edited:

Zathalus

winjer

Gold Member
So i got my 7900xtx and activated my promo code, now AMD's site says they will send my game key closer to launch. Does anyone know, from past experience, does that typically mean we get it in time for preload? especially considering its the premium edition which gives access on 9/1.

I think we only get to redeem the game in the launch day.
But I think a few hours before launch it will probably be available.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Yep. Nvidia does this shit too so, while it sucks, I can understand AMD retaliating. But Microsoft? No excuse.
Their biggest game in how long and they allow this?

I was going to post in one of the other threads the preview build only had FSR as confirmed by a friend but was afraid it might trigger some i didn’t want to be that person :)

Topher

Gold Member
Their biggest game in how long and they allow this?

I was going to post in one of the other threads the preview build only had FSR as confirmed by a friend but was afraid it might trigger some i didn’t want to be that person :)

Microsoft really needs a big win with Starfield. Why in the world would they self-inflict this game's launch with controversy? This isn't going to shatter hype or anything, but still....why?

winjer

Gold Member
Microsoft really needs a big win with Starfield. Why in the world would they self-inflict this game's launch with controversy? This isn't going to shatter hype or anything, but still....why?

The thing is, MS needs Starfield to be a big win on consoles. PC is of little consequence for their goals of fighting Sony.
So what matters to them is the Series S and X version.

Topher

Gold Member
The thing is, MS needs Starfield to be a big win on consoles. PC is of little consequence for their goals of fighting Sony.
So what matters to them is the Series S and X version.

I get what you are saying, but I think that after ending a long drought with Redfall, Microsoft needs Starfield to be a big win overall for their gaming division. Mudding the waters on the PC side with this upscaler exclusivity nonsense is just not worth whatever cash MS is getting for it, imo.

Fredrik

I get what you are saying, but I think that after ending a long drought with Redfall, Microsoft needs Starfield to be a big win overall for their gaming division. Mudding the waters on the PC side with this upscaler exclusivity nonsense is just not worth whatever cash MS is getting for it, imo.
Yup and it’ll come back and bite them in the ass when people have issue with the performance and when AMD cards have better performance and less people own the cards needed there than Nvidia cards capable of using DLSS. More people complaining is never better than less people complaining. They need to sort it out if they haven’t signed a deal that DLSS can’t be there. 2 weeks to go.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Yep. Nvidia does this shit too so, while it sucks, I can understand AMD retaliating. But Microsoft? No excuse.
When have Nvidia made a deal that forbid a developer from supporting AMD’s features?

They’ve done plenty of shady shit but I don’t remember them ever doing that.

Edit: and yeah I blame MS more than anybody else. Come on Microsoft did you really need AMD’s help to market this thing?

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
When have Nvidia made a deal that forbid a developer from supporting AMD’s features?

They’ve done plenty of shady shit but I don’t remember them ever doing that.

Edit: and yeah I blame MS more than anybody else. Come on Microsoft did you really need AMD’s help to market this thing?

I may have spoke out of turn regarding Nvidia. That's been a debated topic here though and lots of people claiming they have, but I don't know for sure. There have definitely been games that have not supported FSR or XeSS. Cannot assume that is because Nvidia paid them not to.

Now that I think about it, I seem to recall Nvidia making a statement about it. So.....yeah, I don't really know.

Edit:
vEW7TIk.png

Awkward John Krasinski GIF by Saturday Night Live

Last edited:
Top Bottom