• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD confirms Radeon GPU sales have nosedived

Draugoth

Gold Member
The numbers don’t lie, AMD is struggling to sell both its custom and discrete Radeon GPUs. To make matters worse, this decline in sales not only encompasses the past two financial quarters, but applies to year-on-year figures too.

Try as AMD might to break the stranglehold Nvidia has on the GPU market, all of its offerings, from its best graphics cards to more budget-friendly options, are sadly failing to make a significant impact. While this chasmic gap in popularity has been well understood for some time, AMD’s latest financial reports show how much of a problem Radeon is proving for the company’s cash flow:

A graph breaking down AMD's Q1 2024 revenue

In its Q1 FY24 statement, AMD reports a revenue of $5.5 billion, up 2% from last year, primarily driven by its ‘Data Center’ and ‘Client’ segments which are up 80% and 85%, respectively. However, revenue from its ‘Embedded’ segment is down 46% year-on-year (YoY) but the biggest decline comes from ‘Gaming’, coming in at a painful 48%. By itself, this steep decrease is concerning, but paired with the knowledge that this is down 33% from the previous quarter gives further cause for alarm. Suffice to say, Radeon GPU sales have nosedived.

Report via PCGamesN

KaiserBecks

It’s so weird that they’re killing it on the CPU front whilst having no grasp of the GPU market. I read that Jensen Huang and Lisa Su are actually first grade cousins. I assume they don’t talk about business at family reunions 😂

Spyxos

Intel

Mr Bean Waiting GIF by Bombay Softwares
Hurry Up GIF

Puscifer

Still can't believe this is the AMD that came out swinging with the 7950/7970ghz editions and Mantle at one point, almost felt like that was a swang song for their competition in the GPU market.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
It’s so weird that they’re killing it on the CPU front whilst having no grasp of the GPU market. I read that Jensen Huang and Lisa Su are actually first grade cousins. I assume they don’t talk about business at family reunions 😂
I listened to a really interesting interview with Jim Keller (on Jordan Peterson’s podcast of all places, turns out they’re brothers-in-law). He talked all about how he saw that AMD’s desktop and mobile CPU designs were just not competitive and it wasn’t worth putting the R&D trying to keep evolving and adding on to those architectures just to come sort-of close to Intel. So he made the very controversial decision to kill off both their mobile + desktop architectures and basically bet their entire CPU business on Zen.

Anyway he said that AMD probably needed to do the same to their GPU architecture, but he left AMD before attempting that.

TheKratos

AMD should abandon PC gaming and put all efforts and money into AI GPU for datacenters. Leave PC gaming to NVDA, which is also seeing decline in gaming anyway.

AMD has always been bad at the GPU market. Whenever I see a thread dictating a new generation of AMD GPU, I laugh when I start seeing people talk about thermals, the one game that was truly optimized for AMD, and how price matters more than performance.

Now, when I see this thread, it surely looks like performance is far more important than price, that one game, or thermals. People want the best.

Same applies to the Xbox and PlayStation battle. People simply want the best.

Last edited:

SoloCamo

A lower price point doesn't make up for shitty drivers and RT performance

This is AMD's biggest issue, people that hang onto tales that aren't true (AMD drivers are like BAD man because that's what I always hear not actually based off my own usage!) . Unless you have a 4080 / 4090 RT is absolutely useless. There is a HUGE market of people that don't care about RT and just want good performance.

AMD has always been bad at the GPU market.

Tell me you haven't been in the GPU market that long without telling me...

6950 / 6970?
7950 / 7970?
290 / 290X?
RX480 / 580 (one of the most popular of their cards by far)
6800XT?

And that's their higher end models, plenty of their lower end-mid are always way more competitive.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Do we know how much by comparison NVIDIA has declined. The gaming segment dropped by 48% but is this an AMD problem or an industry-wide one? If NVIDIA declined by 50%, then AMD might have gained market share.

This is AMD's biggest issue, people that hang onto tales that aren't true (AMD drivers are like BAD man because that's what I always hear not actually based off my own usage!) . Unless you have a 4080 / 4090 RT is absolutely useless. There is a HUGE market of people that don't care about RT and just want good performance.

Tell me you haven't been in the GPU market that long without telling me...
lol, fuck right off. Been buying video cards for 25 years. ATI 5770 was my first. It was cheap and allowed me to play BF2. To be fair, I think this was around the time ATI was better, but never AMD.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
AMD has always been bad at the GPU market. Whenever I see a thread dictating a new generation of AMD GPU, I laugh when I start seeing people talk about thermals and how price matters more than performance.

Now, when I see this thread, it surely looks like performance is far more important than price or thermals. People want the best.

The copium is hilarious every time.

- wildly hyperbolic rumors about next gen Radeon’s performance predictions/memory bandwidth/chip size/chiplets/whatever

- product releases and falls way short of those claims

- “sure Nvidia might be better right now, but just wait until we get better drivers/games are made to take advantage of the new architecture/games are better optimized for AMD because of consoles/games need more VRAM/whatever”

- “nobody cares about ray tracing and AI upscaling/frame generation, those things are stupid and pointless”

- next gen Geforce comes out and wipes the floor with the competition

- “it’s not fair to compare Nvidia’s next gen to AMD’s current gen, wait 6-12 months for the new Radeon, it’s gonna be a beast if those rumors are true”

- repeat

SoloCamo

lol, fuck right off. Been buying video cards for 25 years. ATI 5770 was my first. It was cheap and allowed me to play BF2.

So in 25 years AMD (well you appear to be including ATi, too) they have been bad at the market? They've never released great cards? They've never had better cards than Nvidia, regardless of price?

Are all the below bad attempts from AMD?

6950 / 6970?
7950 / 7970?
290 / 290X?
RX480 / 580 (one of the most popular of their cards by far)
6800XT?

Even back in 2004 I picked a X800pro over a 6800GT because it performed better in the source engine.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
AMD has always been bad at the GPU market. Whenever I see a thread dictating a new generation of AMD GPU, I laugh when I start seeing people talk about thermals, the one game that was truly optimized for AMD, and how price matters more than performance.

Now, when I see this thread, it surely looks like performance is far more important than price, that one game, or thermals. People want the best.

People want to pick the winner, Nvidia has realized this - which is why they can sell tons of gimped 4060s to people because the 4090 is the undisputed king.

phant0m

Nah man, RTGI looks really nice even on my 3080 and am still able to hold locked 60 fps (or more) thanks to DLSS.

AMD just doesn’t have the performance or features to compete with nVidia’s high-end.

Mid-tier they do really well from a value perspective though. Sure the 7800 XT is still 15% slower than the 3-year older 3080 at RT but the card is also $450

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
The goalpost keeps shifting. At first it wasn't worth it on anything but a 2080, then a 3080, then a 4080.
Oof, so everyone took a beating but AMD suffered worse.

Buggy Loop

Steam stats have shown this for a long time.

Only 7900 XTX crept to the list from 7000 series and its 0.39%.

If peoples don't bite for RDNA 4, I think they'll pull out of dedicated GPUs.

Peoples want AMD to be competitive to..... buy cheaper Nvidia.

$50~$100 difference is not enough to replace Nvidia's stack of software advantage and often even hardware performances when including RT. That strategy fell flat on its face many times now.

Stats and AMD's own realization of the market shows that this is not true 🤷‍♂️
AMD fans keep telling themselves that in reddit echo chambers but its really this meme in reality

Arrested Development Tobias GIF

Last edited:

SoloCamo

AMD warriors are out today.. Keep fighting the good fight, I'm not playing.

Don't make statements as if they are fact and then when presented with reality bow out claiming fanboyism. It just gets so tiring to here solid products get crapped on. But hey, you all keep feeding the green giants marketing, they are really doing right by us all here in the gpu market....

The goalpost keeps shifting. At first it wasn't worth it on anything but a 2080, then a 3080, then a 4080.

Oof, so everyone took a beating but AMD suffered worse.

Not from me. Not up to the 4080 or so I'd say RT has ever been feasible. And if people were good enough with RT at the 2080 level then surely AMD's current cards are good enough at RT then, right? Of course they aren't unless it's really light RT - just like anything below a 4080 isn't either.

Stats and AMD's own realization of the market shows that this is not true
🤷‍♂️

AMD fans keep telling themselves that in reddit echo chambers but its really this meme in reality

Nvidia would be in this position due to mindshare either way, RT is not the factor you think it is. And if people are really buying a 4060 for it's RT capability well they are simply naive.

Last edited:
I mean, we have no massive triple A games on PC to push the gpu's to their limits which means less gpu sales especially for AMD who were already loosing anyway. The last one was Cyberpunk and this was 2-3 years ago. I remember when we used to get every single year a massive game that pushed the graphics further and further. Nowadays its just unoptimized crap that rely on dlss 3/fsr and none of them cant seem to surpass a game that released 3 years ago. Metro Exodus was built from ground up with RTGI and this was 5 years ago. Modern gaming kinda sucks nowadays.

Last edited:

SoloCamo

I mean AMD has themselves to blame. Compete on price and they'd start eating away at nVidia.

On this, I don't think anyone can argue. AMD knows they will never have the mindshare of Nvidia and always was the 'budget' option regardless of performance. I mean 7900XTX vs 4080 $1200 vs $1000 I'd save the $200 all day, but in reality AMD needed to be at $899 at launch to really make any sort of dent. Now with 4080 Super at $1000 the XTX needs to be $699.

They are in a vicious cycle of breaking the box they put themselves into and the only way for them to compete it to be much cheaper. Unfortunately you have the old stigmas (bad drivers) and buzzwords that are echoed and people don't give them a chance.

Last edited:

FireFly

lol, fuck right off. Been buying video cards for 25 years. ATI 5770 was my first. It was cheap and allowed me to play BF2. To be fair, I think this was around the time ATI was better, but never AMD.
ATI was better from 2002 with the Radeon 9700. Then they were competing ok at the high end until 2007 when the 2900 XT bombed. They (now AMD) came back strong in 2008 with the HD 4870 and were doing ok until Nvidia launched the GTX 970 in 2014. 2014 is a long time ago but it's also not "never" either.

The aquisition completed in October 2006, so their resurgence after 2008 was not an ATI thing.

Last edited:

Rosoboy19

Neo Member
Until Intel gets better drivers AMD is still the best option available for x64 APU, ie consoles and pc handhelds. Maybe they should abandon discreet gpu and just go all APU at this point. They could focus heavily on performance-per-watt for their integrated gpu’s and make them even better for those kinds of devices.

iHaunter

It's their software. Their hardware performances are decent value. But their software and tech behind the GPUs is unfortunately far too behind NVidia. I hate saying that myself, the CEO of NVidia is a giant dickhead.

Buggy Loop

The copium is hilarious every time.

- wildly hyperbolic rumors about next gen Radeon’s performance predictions/memory bandwidth/chip size/chiplets/whatever

- product releases and falls way short of those claims

- “sure Nvidia might be better right now, but just wait until we get better drivers/games are made to take advantage of the new architecture/games are better optimized for AMD because of consoles/games need more VRAM/whatever”

- “nobody cares about ray tracing and AI upscaling/frame generation, those things are stupid and pointless”

- next gen Geforce comes out and wipes the floor with the competition

- “it’s not fair to compare Nvidia’s next gen to AMD’s current gen, wait 6-12 months for the new Radeon, it’s gonna be a beast if those rumors are true”

- repeat

As predictable as the Sonic fan cycle

Imminent youtube AMD shitheads having these thumbnails

7kYYlXD.png

Senhua

No surprises here. AMD seems to prioritize modern gaming performance, while NVIDIA appears to be more versatile
AMD has recently released a new version of OpenGL after neglecting it for years

Buying an AMD GPU in 2017 was one of the biggest mistakes I made, as their legacy gaming support driver was terrible.
Thankfully, I switched to the green team in 2022

Cyborg

When you are miles behind competition it tends to have effect on sales. If the 8000 series perform poorly in RT and other features it will only go furth down

Im building a new PC and Im going for 4080 super because the DLSS/RT solutions. Im still waiting to see what 8000 series will do

SABRE220

That's what you get when you completely abandon ambition, put zero effort in R@D and basically become pathetic enough to be content with scrounging up nvidias breadcrumbs. I have always been a wellwisher but Im honestly am disgusted at how amd treated its gpu division to fund the cpu side and looking back I wish they didnt buy ati.

Last edited:

Xdrive05

It's very hopeless right now for the GPU market. This defacto monopoly has completely killed pricing and low-mid range offerings. Nvidia can just shovel whatever sand they can press out the door for $350, and have it be the same thing as the previous generation, but with even less VRAM and bandwidth, add some small feature like frame gen, and then sell it at a higher MSRP than the 4-years-ago card of the same class.

They're only competing with themselves at this point, and even then they're only trying to make meaningful gen-on-gen improvements for customers who can spend $600+ or much more.

The highly competitive market that gave us the $200 8800GT is looooong gone.

Top Bottom