• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD confirms Radeon GPU sales have nosedived

SolidQ

Inferior product has bad sales, more news at 10.
RDNA3 sales pretty fine. in 2023 AMD
Q4 2023. semi custom dropped, but RAdeon GPU save it
7f60b14979fad01b98397de4d3019422.png

Wildebeest

They are all dependent on the Taiwan chip fabs when it comes to the price and features they can have, but nvidia has the more widely compatible software. They could try to find a niche in the lower end budget 3d accelerator hardware that nvidia has totally abandoned, but all the positive coverage and hype around these products is on the very tippy top end of un-affordability. Current consumers are seemingly either so wealthy that no price is an obstacle to purchase, or so skint that they would delay purchasing a budget card indefinitely.

Last edited:

demigod

lol, fuck right off. Been buying video cards for 25 years. ATI 5770 was my first. It was cheap and allowed me to play BF2. To be fair, I think this was around the time ATI was better, but never AMD.
You bought a mid range gpu to play a 4 year old game? The hell. The last high end card I bought from them was an ATI 1900XTX. Just right before AMD bought them in 2006. They bounced back with the Radeon 4000/5000 series and the 580s. Nothing but downhill. Their cards are only good in the mid range due to the price.

I laughed when they only offered a $50 price difference when they unveiled the 6000 series a couple years ago. Their tech is way behind Nvidia.

Last edited:

Bry0

You bought a mid range gpu to play a 4 year old game? The hell. The last high end card I bought from them was an ATI 1900XTX. Just right before AMD bought them in 2006. They bounced back with the Radeon 4000/5000 series and the 580s. Nothing but downhill. Their cards are only good in the mid range due to the price.

I laughed when they only offered a $50 price difference when they unveiled the 6000 series a couple years ago. Their tech is way behind Nvidia.
I had a garbage pc and could barely play bf2 on low at 800x600 until I got a 4890 pc. I get where he’s coming from lol

v1oz

Its because their GPUs have poor Raytracing performance for games and poor AI performance for stable diffusion or LLMs.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
I want AMD GPUs to stick around and be competitive with nVidia.

Sorry, let me rephrase that.

I want any other company's GPUs to stick around and be competitive with nVidia.

Look what happened to prices already, imagine if you removed any shred of competition.

simpatico

They need another HD4870. That was really ATi, but still the most favorable era for Radeon. The price to performance ratio was heavily in their favor then and in the 5000 series. Things were looking up for Radeon then. I remember grabbing a 4770 for $99 and it was basically xx60 tier performance in todays terms.

FireFly

The 7970 and 290X were competitive with Nvidia at the high end. Vega was when things really started to go downhill.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
It’s so weird that they’re killing it on the CPU front whilst having no grasp of the GPU market. I read that Jensen Huang and Lisa Su are actually first grade cousins. I assume they don’t talk about business at family reunions 😂

huangs grandpa is su's great grand pa. she is the kid of one of huang's cousins

Leonidas

That's what happens when you are not competitive with the market leader in areas of efficiency, RT and upscaling.

Are all the below bad attempts from AMD?

290 / 290X?
RX480 / 580 (one of the most popular of their cards by far)
6800XT?
I'm not getting into the ancient history of 13+ year cards which I removed from the list, but I avoided these for the following.

290/290X - higher power draw compared to similar performing Nvidia cards, abysmal reference cooler at launch. was destroyed in efficiency by GTX 970 only one year later.
RX480/580 - higher power draw compared to similarly performing GTX 1060 (one of the best selling GPUs of all time). I did order a 480 but ended up flipping it shortly after because the 1060 was faster and used less power, and was only $10 more.
6800 XT - abysmal RT, upscaling not as good as Nvidia, couldn't buy it due to GPU shortages. when you could buy it, the wait for the much superior 4070 wasn't much longer.

If I avoided them for these reasons then they certainly weren't great GPUs...

If those are the best AMD GPUs you came up with within the past 12 years, its definately not a good sign. I bought a handful of AMD GPUs over the years, but zero since the introduction of DLSS and RT. AMD has to either compete in those areas or compete on price.

They've done neither in their recent launches.

Last edited:
I want AMD GPUs to stick around and be competitive with nVidia.

Sorry, let me rephrase that.

I want any other company's GPUs to stick around and be competitive with nVidia.

Look what happened to prices already, imagine if you removed any shred of competition.
is probably impossible to compete against Nvidia at this point.

SmokSmog

If you can't compete at the highest level then you have no prestige = no sales.
Slow products don't sell. RDNA4 being only low-mid range will solidify this.
AMD would need to compete at the high end for few generations in a row to pick up sales.

Now look at Nvidia, AD102 609mm2 5nm monolithic monster vs AMD Navi31 300mm2 5nm + 225mm2 6nm duct taped abomination.

Last edited:

TheTony316

I mean, what is the advantage of a Radeon GPU other than more Vram and a slightly lower price?

power consumption and temps are higher, RT is shit and FSR is a joke compared to DLSS.

Last edited:
What's the point of buying an AMD GPU except to post with the other fanboys on r/AMD?

Nvidia's got more features, better drivers, better game support, and you can fuck around with AI on their GPU's at home. There's nothing you get from AMD except maybe saving 50 to 100 bucks and that ain't shit for hardware you might keep for 4+ years

Soodanim

Gold Member
is probably impossible to compete against Nvidia at this point.
AMD could theoretically Ryzen their way up to the top again. It's not likely because business is down and that doesn't usually involve massive investment in R&D, but I'm holding onto it being possible.

Two things here.
1. That Shows AMD that they should put more resources into their graphics business.There is lots to get for them there.
2. This is really good for Sony for the PS6 because AMD needs all money it can get and Sony can further press the price of the APU or parts of it down.

Kenpachii

1) they fuckt themselves by overpricing there GPU's and following Nvidia
2) AMD gpu's have bad rep endless problems ( could be fixed now, but who wants to try it out after 10 failed attempts )
3) abysmal RT, why buy a dedicated GPU if u can't even enable half the visual settings in todays games
4) terrible upscaling DLSS changed the game best AA in the market, and performance gain, AMD still has no AI upscaling while nvidia is about to hit its 4th generation of gpu's with AI upscaling its pathethic.
5) framegen coming in two years late and still relays on dogshit FSR solution.
6) Do they even have a alternative solution towards Nvenc at this point as AV! isn't used by twitch.

A lower price point doesn't make up for shitty drivers and RT performance
It does if its >=30% cheaper than the competition. Amd is trying to play Nvidia's margins game when they're not the market leader. A very very bad strategy that will lead to the market leader increasing their market share.

Realistically, AMD needs to roll back it's pricing to 2015 era or even prior. They need to go for volume instead of margin in the consumer space. They're killing themselves with their prices. Right now, amd is trying to sell the 7800xt for $499. That GPU should realistically be $399 if they want to shake up the market. They need to cater to the low end and leave Nvidia to the high end. They can't price themselves like Nvidia until they're the GPU leader. This Nvidia pricing minus 10-15% will not cut it.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
I wish it wasn't so.. But it is what it is. They're a tech company so it would be weird to say they should stop chasing high end.. Idk..

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Still can't believe this is the AMD that came out swinging with the 7950/7970ghz editions and Mantle at one point, almost felt like that was a swang song for their competition in the GPU market.
That was the remnants of ATI. Once they because fully integrated into AMD, we were left with years of bullshit GPUs that are not even worth the risk of buying. Why buy something that is not as good and has 1/6th of the market share when you know games are developed to work with the leading tech first?

Klosshufvud

They should go all out for their integrated GPUs. Immense performance and Nvidia has nothing to match and neither does Intel or anyone else. For just 25W system usage, you can play almost all current games in perfectly acceptable settings.

FireFly

That was the remnants of ATI. Once they because fully integrated into AMD, we were left with years of bullshit GPUs that are not even worth the risk of buying. Why buy something that is not as good and has 1/6th of the market share when you know games are developed to work with the leading tech first?
The 7970 launched 5 years after the AMD acquisition, so it would have been developed with AMD at the helm.

Hudo

It's their software. Their hardware performances are decent value. But their software and tech behind the GPUs is unfortunately far too behind NVidia. I hate saying that myself, the CEO of NVidia is a giant dickhead.
This is the unfortunate truth. It's not Nvidia's hardware that's fucking everyone. It's their software stack. CUDA has become the defacto standard when it comes to GPGPU stuff. And the problem is that CUDA is proprietary. So Nvidia got all our balls vendor locked.

Well. They've got at least me by the balls. And I don't like it. But there's just no viable alternative. OpenCL is on life support, ROCm is undead, Metal is locked to Apple's stuff (which is also expensive as fuck), Vulkan is just too fucking low level. Requiring a lot of boilerplate shit to even get to the point where you can transfer memory from host to device and back. And Intel's One API is still not really out yet (they've announced that they're working with Google, Qualcomm and other companies, at least). It's a really shit situation all around.

Last edited:

dave_d

The funny thing is back then even though the price wasn't that much better I was seriously considering buying on because of how short supply Nvidia cards were.(I didn't want to pay scalper prices) Unfortunately AMD cards were actually harder to get and I managed to get a Nvidia card first. (This was at the around 2020/2021.)

phant0m

They should go all out for their integrated GPUs. Immense performance and Nvidia has nothing to match and neither does Intel or anyone else. For just 25W system usage, you can play almost all current games in perfectly acceptable settings.
Yeah. Don’t see a dedicated AMD GPU being a top choice for a high-end rig but I’ve been really impressed with the Z1E in the Ally/LeGo.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
It’s so weird that they’re killing it on the CPU front whilst having no grasp of the GPU market. I read that Jensen Huang and Lisa Su are actually first grade cousins. I assume they don’t talk about business at family reunions 😂

They're related but they're not first grade cousins.

zqnQRBSatqLfhw9wrEQ2k3-1200-80.jpg

proandrad

Having worst ray tracing performance and undercutting nvidia by just a few bucks aint gonna cut it. They need to play actual capitalism and bring back high end cards for $499-$599. These trillion dollar companies aren't convincing anyone that high end GPUs need to cost $1000+ so they won't lose money. Intel Core i7 2700K launched at a msrp of $332 and the latest equivalent 14700k has a msrp of $419; only about a 26% increase in price. A geforce 680 had a msrp of $499 and the 4080 launched at $1199, a 140% increase. We are being scammed by both companies when it comes to gpus.

Danknugz

This is the unfortunate truth. It's not Nvidia's hardware that's fucking everyone. It's their software stack. CUDA has become the defacto standard when it comes to GPGPU stuff. And the problem is that CUDA is proprietary. So Nvidia got all our balls vendor locked.

Well. They've got at least me by the balls. And I don't like it. But there's just no viable alternative. OpenCL is on life support, ROCm is undead, Metal is locked to Apple's stuff (which is also expensive as fuck), Vulkan is just too fucking low level. Requiring a lot of boilerplate shit to even get to the point where you can transfer memory from host to device and back. And Intel's One API is still not really out yet (they've announced that they're working with Google, Qualcomm and other companies, at least). It's a really shit situation all around.
you would have to be a glutton for punishment to try and develop any kind of parallel computing or ai implementation using AMDs half baked, "me too" offerings, you can't even play video games without eventually running into some weird "feature" of your AMD card leading to some obscure incompatibility or lack of performance gain enjoyed by those with nvidia cards.

Buggy Loop

The funny thing is back then even though the price wasn't that much better I was seriously considering buying on because of how short supply Nvidia cards were.(I didn't want to pay scalper prices) Unfortunately AMD cards were actually harder to get and I managed to get a Nvidia card first. (This was at the around 2020/2021.)

Yea. In 2020 it was so dire to just land a GPU and I was even trying to spam AMD's website to lock a 6800 XT reference.

AMD said it would not be a paper launch

christian bale laughing GIF

They were harder to get than even the most wanted Nvidia cards. What a fucking joke it was. AMD's MSRP price was bullshit too. -50$ ? 95% bullshit. Their reference cards were unicorns and they even wanted to stop manufacturing them (probably because negative or bottom of barrel margins) until the community yanked them. So with reference cards being an illusion, the AIBs were absolute dogshit in MSRP value compared to Ampere prices. You would take an Asus 3080 vs an Asus 6800 XT and it would legit be +$100 for the same goddamn cooler (TUF model). The prices would only come back to realistic price levels until 2 years later.

I don't trust AMD MSRP since that day.

Even 7900 XTX with that reference cooler versus 4080 FE with a legit good and hefty cooling is hard to say MSRP vs MSRP. If you pick a 7900 XTX AIB the difference shrunk a lot.

Top Bottom