• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD presents Zen 5

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I legit like Leonidas. He can be fair when he wants to be. I’ve seen him offer good reasons to get AMD CPUs and even GPUs on occasions. But in this thread I think he is off his nut. After the shit Intel just pulled with the power profiles, there is no justification for criticizing AMD for being misleading and recommending current Intel. What Intel and mobo manufacturers pulled ruined a lot of gamers systems. That is unacceptable. Yes, AMD had the exploding X3D chips last year, but that was largely limited to Asus motherboards with bad BIOS. He also never mentions forward compatibility. It’s mind boggling that someone who may have bought an AM4 motherboard in 2017 can get a 5800X3D and have a great CPU.

Having said that, if Intel can get the power profiles under control, they will be a force to be reckoned with.

However, I seriously doubt that Intel will come anywhere close to the 65W TDP of the 9700X.

One thing I think Intel could do is offer an 8-core power core only CPU with no E-cores. I think that could be an attractive CPU…at least until games can take better advantage of E-cores. Seriously how the fuck have we not started to see Ecores being utilized.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I just bought 7800X3D but I want 9800X3D to offer notable improvement, that way I can get cheap upgrade in few years from now. Who knows, maybe even AM5 platform will support ZEN 6 (10800X3D).

As far as Intel CPUs are concerned, before I always bought CPUs from them, but now I totally lost my trust to this company. Core i7 14/13 gen power consumption is just too absurd and with instability issues (even with intel limits) and fast degradation (some people reported degradation on a monthly basis) I would have to be an intel fanoy to go with intel platform this time. I hope Intel Arrow Lake fixes these problems, otherwise Intel may not recover from another defeat and that would be bad for all of us (less competition means more expensive CPUs).
I’m glad we don’t have any of those on Neogaf…we’re totally objective around here. :p

Last edited:

winjer

"Is it the fastest in gaming? It's faster than the competition in our tests. X3D is still the king of the hill, but by a much smaller margin than typically between X3D and non-X3D," Woligroski responded. "So a 7800X3D would, yes, be faster than 9700X, but maybe not by as much as you would expect."

winjer

Retailers have hinted at the launch dates for AMD's Zen5 series. The AMD Ryzen AI 300 series is set to launch on July 15, with Ryzen 9000 series sales starting on July 31.

YeulEmeralda

Linux User
I legit like Leonidas. He can be fair when he wants to be. I’ve seen him offer good reasons to get AMD CPUs and even GPUs on occasions. But in this thread I think he is off his nut. After the shit Intel just pulled with the power profiles, there is no justification for criticizing AMD for being misleading and recommending current Intel. What Intel and mobo manufacturers pulled ruined a lot of gamers systems. That is unacceptable. Yes, AMD had the exploding X3D chips last year, but that was largely limited to Asus motherboards with bad BIOS. He also never mentions forward compatibility. It’s mind boggling that someone who may have bought an AM4 motherboard in 2017 can get a 5800X3D and have a great CPU.

Having said that, if Intel can get the power profiles under control, they will be a force to be reckoned with.

However, I seriously doubt that Intel will come anywhere close to the 65W TDP of the 9700X.

One thing I think Intel could do is offer an 8-core power core only CPU with no E-cores. I think that could be an attractive CPU…at least until games can take better advantage of E-cores. Seriously how the fuck have we not started to see Ecores being utilized.
Because consoles don't have E-cores. Nobody's going to put in the extra work just for Intel systems.

SonGoku

One thing I think Intel could do is offer an 8-core power core only CPU with no E-cores. I think that could be an attractive CPU…at least until games can take better advantage of E-cores.
Actually... I'd prefer it the other way around if AMD added c cores to their 8 cores CCDs for 16 to 24 cores total per CCD (8P + 8/16c)
That would be best of both worlds for productivity and gaming on a X8003D class CPU
eriously how the fuck have we not started to see Ecores being utilized.
From what i read online supposedly there's a latency penalty involved accessing E cores similarly (or worse) to the latency penalty seen in Zen 2 when accesing separate CCXs. Gaming CPU threads are usually latency sensitive and not as multi threading friendly to further complicate things.

I hope they figure out a way to eliminate or reduce the latency penalty to the point E cores are more useful for gaming, if they do there truly wont be a need for HT anymore

Last edited:

Leonidas

But in this thread I think he is off his nut.
In what way? Some of the stuff I mentioned that could happen in this thread was later confirmed by AMD (i.e. Zen5 losing to Zen4 X3D).

What in this thread have I said that you think I'm wrong about?

After the shit Intel just pulled with the power profiles, there is no justification for criticizing AMD for being misleading and recommending current Intel.
AMD had similar issues with X3D last year, its a moot point for me. And when it happened to AMD I posted it days after the reports popped up, waiting to see if anyone else would, but no one here had the balls too.

I criticise AMD for their misleading slides. Lots of PC guys aren't tech savy and don't look at the end notes and realize what happens when you constrain the benchmarks in the way AMD did. Those gaming benchmarks from AMD were contrived.

I don't really recommend either Intel or AMD over the other today. In the mid-range, where I and most people should be buying, they're both great. I chose the 13600K for my personal build because it beat Zen4 in gaming (the only competition in 2022) and I like RAM tuning. And I like having a lot of MT performance/$.

I understand that many AM5 CPUs make sense for a lot of people, but I'd rather have over 90% of Zen4X3D gaming performance while spending a lot less than 90% of a Zen4X3D build, while having much better MT and I am aslo someone who likes undervolting/overclocking and RAM tuning, something I feel is better on Intel platforms.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
In what way? Some of the stuff I mentioned that could happen in this thread was later confirmed by AMD (i.e. Zen5 losing to Zen4 X3D).

What in this thread have I said that you think I'm wrong about?

AMD had similar issues with X3D last year, its a moot point for me. And when it happened to AMD I posted it days after the reports popped up, waiting to see if anyone else would, but no one here had the balls too.

I criticise AMD for their misleading slides. Lots of PC guys aren't tech savy and don't look at the end notes and realize what happens when you constrain the benchmarks in the way AMD did. Those gaming benchmarks from AMD were contrived.

I don't really recommend either Intel or AMD over the other today. In the mid-range, where I and most people should be buying, they're both great. I chose the 13600K for my personal build because it beat Zen4 in gaming (the only competition in 2022) and I like RAM tuning. And I like having a lot of MT performance/$.

I understand that many AM5 CPUs make sense for a lot of people, but I'd rather have over 90% of Zen4X3D gaming performance while spending a lot less than 90% of a Zen4X3D build, while having much better MT and I am aslo someone who likes undervolting/overclocking and RAM tuning, something I feel is better on Intel platforms.
This was a reasonable response.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Ok so since the new Qualcomm chips are a bust for gaming, next thing to get excited about is this I guess

I’ve been wanting a Steamdeck but haven’t felt the performance is quite there for me to invest. I hope this makes its way in

StereoVsn

I’ve been wanting a Steamdeck but haven’t felt the performance is quite there for me to invest. I hope this makes its way in
Seems a bit too power hungry for a handheld if we are talking a measurable advance. Most tests have been running at 45w or higher to show like 30% increase in performance over 780.

The big challenge is to get a notable performance boost while staying within the same power envelope. The Zen c cores can provide some power savings and help preserve more die space for the iGPU.

twilo99

marquimvfs

is it worth uprading from 3900x if i dont care about fps higher than 60 ? i dont need 100 , 120 , 240 etc
Are you reaching those framerates? What's the resolution that you play and the rest of the setup? Cuz bottlenecks are a difficult thing to calculate, your processor is allright for more than 90% of the use case you are intending, but maybe in a determined game with a determined setup, you may not reach the intended framerate. The best case would be you open your own thread to discuss your case in full.

Last edited:
Top Bottom