• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD RX 6000 'Big Navi' GPU Event | 10/28/2020 @ 12PM EST/9AM PST/4PM UK

Dr.D00p

Added driver level extras such as....? I'm honestly curious. If you mean the CUDA stuff for productivity performance then yeah I agree that is a huge advantage Nvidia has at the moment in Blender etc..

Stuff like Nvidia Ansel, DLSS, Nvidia PhysX extras in games (older titles mainly, Batman games, Witcher 3,) much better OpenGL drivers (important for Modern 3D emulators), and almost certainly superior RT performance

Last edited:
Where are the benchmarks?! I will eat all my popcorn before the show even begins, damnit!

84806afeb5e20a1dd2374e95b62a5c2b.gif

Antitype

Since when is raytracing a dealbreaker for PC gaming? People wants to play 60fps in 4k at ultra settings

Next gen is finally here, now that the consoles are RT capable, AAA going forward will all be raster+RT hybrid. And the more RT effects there will be the bigger the difference between RTX and RX will be (Metro's fps delta is huge, Control is likely going to be even bigger). If all you care about is raster performance then AMD's offering is a good fit, but if we're talking about all around high end.. well that's Nvidia again this gen. So it's not a dealbreaker per se, it really depends what you want out of your GPU. Personally I wouldn't pass on RT now that I got to experience it. I went from a 1080ti to a 3080 and RTX+DLSS is just too good to pass up IMO.

On top of 3080 being a virtual product that has barely any availability, 6800XT has solid VRAM amount that more than warrants its price even if 3080 was not a paper launch.

It has vram that its not needed as of now, lacks performance in ray tracing, lacks dlss to counter the impact ray tracing induces, will probably have unstable drivers. Its absolutely not deserving of the same price of a 3080 when you're getting better everything outside of vram

regawdless

Banned
It has vram that its not needed as of now, lacks performance in ray tracing, lacks dlss to counter the impact ray tracing induces, will probably have unstable drivers. Its absolutely not deserving of the same price of a 3080 when you're getting better everything outside of vram

Also the VRAM is way slower, that's to consider as well. It's not just a number.

Very curious about the raytracing benchmarks.

Last edited:

Antitype

That's why it has the 128Mb of 'Infinity Cache'...to get around the speed deficit of Nvidia's faster VRAM, apparently.

Issue with that is that it's tuned for 1440p. At 4k and probably ultra wide resolutions, it loses its effectiveness, whereas fast VRAM remains as effective.

MadYarpen

Jump in says AquaticSquirrel AquaticSquirrel

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
it is not like they are trying to trick people into buying millions of cards before the truth is revealed.
Actually, it literally IS that.

The cards are probably good so it's not that big a deal, but it literally is withholding (third party verified) truth so that customers buy based off of hype and not data, essentially tricking them.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
I'm watching Hardware Unboxed's review of the RX 6800 XT and thus far the card is consistently faster than the RTX 3080 at 1440p and either equal or slightly slower at 4K.

Also, it's only slightly slower than the RTX 3090 at both 1440p and 4K, which indicates that the RX 6900 XT will be consistently faster than the RTX 3090 (barring driver updates).

ray tracing performance in WD: Legion

RT6800XT slightly winning against RTX 3800 in 1440p:

6800rtwatchdogsq1jdh.png

and slightly losing in 4K:

6800rtwatchdogs4kyajto.png

bodes well for console RT perf.

payed 760Euro for a 6800 non-xt in a (once again) preorder shitshow today.

only done that to bring you some RT testing, to see if it's really as bad as 2060Super @ XSeriesX Clocks (spoiler: it's not)

edit - well maybe not so much:

LOLOLOLOL

Great isn't it?

But look here...

Console RT quality on AMD :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion

RT sucks, as expected.

And that AMD Smart Access Memory is MS technology, later available on nVidia GPUs. Also seems like AMD is locking out other CPU outside of Zen 3, which sucks.

Last edited:

Andodalf

Banned

6800rtwatchdogsq1jdh.png

only done that to bring you some RT testing, to see if it's really as bad as 2060Super @ XSeriesX Clocks (spoiler: it's not)

RT in watch dogs isn't the same on both platforms.

Irobot82

6800rtwatchdogsq1jdh.png

Nice I game in 1440p so my biggest concern is Raster wins there and to see how RT looks.

rnlval

0eWMOEv.jpg

BiG NAVI's Tensor math support i.e. dot2 FP16, dot2 INT16, dot4 INT8, dot8 INT4.

Packed mode refers to the Rapid Pack math feature.

Mixed Precision mode refers to Tensor math feature.

Last edited:

rnlval

Nice I game in 1440p so my biggest concern is Raster wins there and to see how RT looks.
There are DXR Tier 1.0 and DXR Tier 1.1 difference. If DXR game runs on Pascal, then most likely DXR Tier 1.0 since Pascal GPUs only supports DXR Tier 1.0 (via software compute).

For RDNA 2, AMD and MS worked on DXR Tier 1.1

Last edited:

rnlval

6800rtwatchdogsq1jdh.png

edit - well maybe not so much:
For AMD BiG NAVI, Dirt 5 DXR is another example.

There are DXR Tier 1.0 and DXR Tier 1.1 differences

Last edited:

Irobot82

There are DXR Tier 1.0 and DXR Tier 1.1 difference. If DXR game runs on Pascal, then most likely DXR Tier 1.0 since Pascal GPUs only supports DXR Tier 1.0 (via software compute).

For RDNA 2, AMD and MS worked on DXR Tier 1.1

It's all early and new tech still. I'm interested to see what Cyberpunk has in store. Hopefully more than just Nvidia black box. But it may sway me to a 3080. I just don't like the 10GB. I feel like the 6800XT will be better long term investment. I also feel like Nvidia will put out some crazy shit in the next round. AMD with it's newfound prominence may very well too.

BiG NAVI's Tensor math support i.e. dot2 FP16, dot2 INT16, dot4 INT8, dot8 INT4.

Packed mode refers to the Rapid Pack math feature.

Mixed Precision mode refers to Tensor math feature.

So AMD can use Tensor workflow for AI super sampling like Nvidia does with it's DLSS.

rnlval

It's all early and new tech still. I'm interested to see what Cyberpunk has in store. Hopefully more than just Nvidia black box. But it may sway me to a 3080. I just don't like the 10GB. I feel like the 6800XT will be better long term investment. I also feel like Nvidia will put out some crazy shit in the next round. AMD with it's newfound prominence may very well too.

So AMD can use Tensor workflow for AI super sampling like Nvidia does with it's DLSS.
I plan for RTX 3080 Ti 20GB since I have MSI RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB Gaming X AIB OC. RTX 3080 10 GB is not enough progress from my RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB.

If my budget is RTX 3070 8G level, I'll pick RX 6800 16 GB AIB OC edition.

In terms of result datatype, Tensor math is different from Rapid Pack math.

Last edited:
For AMD BiG NAVI, Dirt 5 DXR is another example.

There are DXR Tier 1.0 and DXR Tier 1.1 differences

i bought DIRT 5 to test it's ray tracing with the 6800 vs. 3800. then i found out that it was just active in a tech press preview build and probably won't be available till december.

Last edited:
Top Bottom