• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'American Experience: Walt Disney' premiering September 14-15 (9/8c) on PBS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

J2 Cool

Pretty fantastic documentary, really liked it.

hugocésar;178978486 said:
I catched part of the first episode today, I'll have to watch both of them now on the app, it seemed really well done. It's nothing surprising or unknown, but it's always a sad reminder to be told that Disney was a really awful and troubled person next to doing some important and wonderful stuff.

I feel like "really awful" is a stretch. He was troubled certainly, very demanding and somewhat not the greatest boss in the world, but outside of his very hard nosed ideas about the union I wouldn't consider him awful. There's a good amount of stories about Walt having a soft side, being a friend to people, etc. But he was very lost and stuck in his idea about the world, and was too stubborn to change it any. Which is part of what makes him fascinating, and his energy to prove himself repeatedly with results. Fascinating person.

Just watched part 1, great documentary so far. Going to try watch part 2 as soon as I can. The part covering Snow White was fascinating, the audience's reaction to the first animated motion picture, wow. That pure-fantasy-come-to-life moment must have been to them what it was like for us seeing the first CGI epics like the T-1000 or the Jurassic Park dinosaurs for the first time.

Also, sweet ever loving crap did Disney quickly transform into an unrepentantly evil, raging jerk once they got into the new Burbank studios. That Babbitt (sp?) guy was a hero for standing up to him and championing the artists, a lot of guys wouldn't have had the guts to give up such a cushy right-hand-man position like that.

Edit: Another PBS documentary I highly recommend seeking out is American Master's biography on Charles Schultz which ran sometime around 2007/2008.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom