• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Truck Simulator |OT| Freedom gives me a Semi with a Heavy Load

Makikou

I think the Volvo VNL and the Kenworth W900 are coming quite quickly to ATS, they are already listed in SteamDB:
https://steamdb.info/app/270880/dlc/

So look forward to both

kw900.jpg

Makikou

I think it was a demand from Paccar that they released their current flagship trucks before being allowed to get to the (more iconic) older style models, so there is probably some sort of embargo going on with these ones.

Ah, makes sense i guess. The Peterbilt 389 should be noted then aswell.

Having a lot of fun with it so far. Traffic seems a lot more lively than in ETS2.

Can't seem to get my TrackIR working though. Not sure what I need to do. With ETS2 is worked right away without any additional configuration. Any suggestions?

i'm trying to rebind the throttle and brake on my xbox one controller, but it's not accepting the imputs for the triggers? it does for every other button, just not the triggers

Redmoon

I use inputmapper, but I don't think it's necessary. Are R2 and L2 configured under "Controls" or "Keyboard"? Should be configured under "Controls". If you have it congfigured under "Control" you can try changing the mode under the brake / acceleration axle.

I also use xin-driver so that the force feedback translates into rumble. To do this, you have to use inputmapper.

Thanks! Changed both to Centered and it fixed it.

MouldyK

i'm trying to rebind the throttle and brake on my xbox one controller, but it's not accepting the imputs for the triggers? it does for every other button, just not the triggers

You have to go under Control, which has a Steering Wheel Icon, then select your controller.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Can't seem to get my TrackIR working though. Not sure what I need to do. With ETS2 is worked right away without any additional configuration. Any suggestions?

Yep, I had this same problem at first too, turns out I just had to update my TrackIR5 software.

If you open the TrackIR program and look in the top right there is a little red button that says "update software" or something to that effect, just press that, say yes, you'll then have to restart the TrackIR program, and than restart ATS again, and viola it works good as new again. Once I realized that it took like 30s to get it working. I literally can't drive ETS2 or ATS without my TrackIR, lol.

I feel like after only 3 missions, you quickly figure out what should be this game's theme song.

Yeah the police are no joke in ATS. In the beginning when you are just starting out those fines can really hurt, I got my first speeding ticket last night. Eventually though when I have multiple garages with fleets of drivers earning bank for me I'll be giving them my middle finger and laughing at their fines as I speed on by them! Gonna be awhile though....

The exhaust brake sounds really good now, in ETS2 they sounded flat even though IRL they sounded much louder.

Yeah, I love the sound of that thing. I play with braking strenght set to minimum, so I pretty much have to use both the exhaust brake and retarder to be able to stop (and sometimes even trailer brake to keep the truck on the road).

I don't recommend turning down braking strength until you get a gearbox with retarder though. There is just no way to stop in time then.

Mengy

The exhaust brake sounds really good now, in ETS2 they sounded flat even though IRL they sounded much louder.

Yeah, the trucks do sound better in ATS than they did in ETS2, very throaty. I often thought the ETS2 trucks sounded so quiet and tame, I just wanted to roll down the window to hear more sounds!

How are the graphics?

The graphics and performance is great, better than ETS2, with the notable exception of AA which is only mediocre, just like ETS2. Anti aliasing is really the biggest negative to both games at this point, which says a lot about how great everything else is I suppose. I'm going to use Nvidia Inspector tonight to try and improve the AA some, but I won't waste too much time fiddling with it as it's not bad enough to really bother me, but it is noticeable. In ETS2 I could use NI to make the AA fantastic but performance always suffered so badly that I never kept it enabled, with the better performance of ATS I'm curious if I can make that stick.

We'll see if the switch to DX11 later this year helps out the AA issue, it should, but until then it is a notable area that could use improvement.

Aaron D.

Anyone know how to bump up the Camera Sensitivity while in Interior Cockpit mode?

I checked all the Options sliders (Deadzone, etc.) but none seemed to change the Look sensitivity on my 360 controller (R-Stick). Feels a tad sluggish by default and I'd like to speed up the acceleration.

Oddly, I've seen lots of sliders for Steering Sensitivity.

I really wish these could be turned off or at least be a roll of the dice when you are within 5mph... I have lost money the last 2 trips... ha

If you go to your game profile folder located in /Documents/American Truck Simulator/, there is a config.cfg file that you can edit a line to disable police. I think its g_police or something with the value 1. If you set the value to 0 there should be no more police.

I really wish these could be turned off or at least be a roll of the dice when you are within 5mph... I have lost money the last 2 trips... ha

Oh yeah, is it a hard limit in this game? Because AFAIK all across America cops ignore you if you're only 5 over, because that'd be petty and maybe the driver's speed gauge is slightly off etc. 10, it starts getting risky.

Unless cops take a more hard line when it comes to trucks!

Tanston

Anybody playing this with an hd5800 series card? Curious as to how it looks. I'm big on the scenery in these games more so then the business/sim aspects. If it doesn't look decent i'll probably give the game a pass till I can build myself a new computer hopefully sometime next year.

Tanston

I'm looking forward to grabbing this whenever Utah/Colorado are released, since those are my favorite states to drive though. Hopefully it won't be that far away; I know they're working on Arizona right now, so hopefully the plan is to finish all of the southwest before moving on to other areas like the PNW or east coast.

Edit - aww, just saw a post that mentioned the plan is to do NM/TX/OR/WA, so it might be a while :(

I'm with you, I'd love Utah/Colorado. Imagine scenic byway 12 in this game?

So what all do I need to get the complete high-end experience of this game?

I already have a nice PC and desk chair, and I figure I need a wheel (G27 seems to be the wheel of choice for most people),but I read something about IR eye tracking? What is that all about? What's wrong with reaching over and using the mouse to look around?

And am I correct about the G27 being a good investment for this game? Does it clamp to a desk or would I need to drill holes or have a dedicated stand for the wheel setup?

Moltenix

Played about 3 hours last night. Few things that stood out:
Fines are way more expensive. Be careful out there fellow leadfoots.

Traffic is much denser than the default traffic in ETS. Absolutely love it.

Cities are still just a small representation of the real thing but driving into places like LA, Vegas, San Fran were immediately notable. They really nailed the vibe of these cities. In ETS, Driving into London or Paris felt no different than any other smaller city.

As someone from NA, its nice being able to do right on reds (after a complete stop of course). On the other hand, it also adds the stress of wondering if that idiot ahead is gonna pull out even though you have right of way with the green light. AI has given me a few scares already.

American trucks turn ALOT different. After 250+ hours in ETS, I feel like a complete newb again. You really gotta take turns slower and swing both wider and earlier in these longer trucks!

Some of the advanced parking challenges are tough!!

U2NUMB

If you go to your game profile folder located in /Documents/American Truck Simulator/, there is a config.cfg file that you can edit a line to disable police. I think its g_police or something with the value 1. If you set the value to 0 there should be no more police.

I always forget how awesome PC gaming can be... just did it.. also turned off fatigue when I do those long runs.

Thanks!!

And am I correct about the G27 being a good investment for this game? Does it clamp to a desk or would I need to drill holes or have a dedicated stand for the wheel setup?

G27 has plastic clamps for easy mounting to a desk. There are also mounting points for dedicated stands, so you can do either. It is however out of production in favor of G29/G920, but if you can get a G27 used or from leftover stock it is better for this game since it has more buttons and an included shifter.

Nixed

Neo Member
Average ATS experience so far:
"GODDAMN SPEED LIMITS!"
"FUCK THE POLICE!"
"I'M ALL MY LOSING MONEY!"
"FUCKING TURNING RADIUS!"
"THE HELL IS THIS PARKING?"

Glad it wasn't just me! It's neat having to re-learn the game. Plus I'm actually trying to use the sequential shifter instead of the toy truck simply automatic mode, so I have that to deal with too...

Watevaman

Ok, so I don't actually own ATS yet, but are you guys that are complaining about speeding tickets using cruise control or do the limits just change so much that you always get caught? In ETS2, I think I've had like 2 speeding offenses (minus ones where I was being stupid on purpose) in all of my playing and I think it's because I always use CC and set it a bit lower than the limit.

Aaron D.

My biggest hurdle in relearning the game from ETS2 is squaring-up with the entry level vehicles with low HP. Dang some of these guys struggle on even the smallest inclines.

Can't wait to get my business up and running so I can invest in meatier equipment.

Strangely, advanced parking techniques (even in Interior view) came back in a flash.

Makikou

Ok, so I don't actually own ATS yet, but are you guys that are complaining about speeding tickets using cruise control or do the limits just change so much that you always get caught? In ETS2, I think I've had like 2 speeding offenses (minus ones where I was being stupid on purpose) in all of my playing and I think it's because I always use CC and set it a bit lower than the limit.

Usually when you enter city limits the speed goes instantly from like 55 or 80 limit to 30-35 (depends on state). There's usually also a nasty speed camera after that sign. Or if a police car is near you it will fine you.

Nixed

Neo Member
Usually when you enter city limits the speed goes instantly from like 55 or 80 limit to 30-35 (depends on state). There's usually also a nasty speed camera after that sign. Or if a police car is near you it will fine you.

This. It is not uncommon to get a $1,000 ticket out of nowhere after the road turned from 55 to 30 before you can even react. You'll have to get in the habit of slowing the hell down when you get remotely near anything that's not the highway.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Right on red is way too finicky. I'll come to a complete stop, wait 2 seconds, and 1/4 of the time I get a ticket.

I'm thinking there is an object volume in the middle of the intersection and if your cab touches it you get a ticket.

Mengy

So what all do I need to get the complete high-end experience of this game?

I already have a nice PC and desk chair, and I figure I need a wheel (G27 seems to be the wheel of choice for most people),but I read something about IR eye tracking? What is that all about? What's wrong with reaching over and using the mouse to look around?

The G27 works fantastic with both ETS2 and ATS. I literally bought my G27 a year ago just for ETS2 but I've gotten so much use out of it with so many other games, I should have bought it years ago. It clamps to the desk so no hole drilling required, it's really a solid and well built wheel.

TrackIR is an infra red tracking device where you put a clip on a hat or headphones and wear it on your head, then you can look around the truck just by turning your head slightly. I have it and love it to death, but then I use it for lots of other simulation games too. It is possible to use the mouse to look around the truck, or even keyboard commands or joysticks, but honestly not much beats a good IR head tracking device. I literally can't play these games without it now.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
As someone from NA, its nice being able to do right on reds (after a complete stop of course). On the other hand, it also adds the stress of wondering if that idiot ahead is gonna pull out even though you have right of way with the green light. AI has given me a few scares already.

It is not legal in all of North America. It's something you learn fast and expensively if you move to New York City.

Is it legal in Nevada?

It is not legal in all of North America. It's something you learn fast and expensively if you move to New York City.

Is it legal in Nevada?

I thought rights on red lights was allowed in most North American municipalities. The only one I'm aware of that doesn't (besides NYC, apparently) is Montreal. I'm sure there are others but I feel like I see it more often than not.

Aaron D.

Is it legal in Nevada?

Right on Red is legal across the country by default, unless otherwise indicated by a No Turn On Red sign. Which is usually at busy intersections and such.

But it's still a case by case basis and defaulted as legal otherwise.

Default sensitivity and controls for the Xbox One controller are insanely bad. I've remapped the controls, but does anyone have a good setup for sensitivity/deadzone settings?

G27 has plastic clamps for easy mounting to a desk. There are also mounting points for dedicated stands, so you can do either. It is however out of production in favor of G29/G920, but if you can get a G27 used or from leftover stock it is better for this game since it has more buttons and an included shifter.

I never learned how to drive a manual stick shift IRL, does this game require manual shifting or can I set it to auto?

rrs

I made myself a mod to make the cops less awful to deal with, I swear they would give me tickets just for giggles.

I think the best thing for this game is that everything is more challenging, to the rural roads from hell, resisting the urge to go faster in cities, longer cargo and trucks, and the cops that will make you regret ever thinking about speeding.

Default sensitivity and controls for the Xbox One controller are insanely bad. I've remapped the controls, but does anyone have a good setup for sensitivity/deadzone settings?

set it to controller, put sensitivity at half way and deadzone where it doesn't feel like the truck isn't in control

I never learned how to drive a manual stick shift IRL, does this game require manual shifting or can I set it to auto?

there's simple and realistic automatic transmission options, you'll want realistic to make parking much easier

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Right on Red is legal across the country by default, unless otherwise indicated by a No Turn On Red sign. Which is usually at busy intersections and such.

But it's still a case by case basis and defaulted as legal otherwise.

It is illegal in the entirety of New York City, sign or no sign. I don't even think they have any signs for it, it's just illegal at every light.

Mengy

Yeah, there are four options for shifting:

- full auto, where the brake will both slow you down and reverse you from a standstill
- full auto, but you need to shift from neutral to forward and reverse
- sequential, where you shift gears manually but no clutch
- full manual, where you need to shift using an H pattern shifter device and use the clutch

I personally use sequential, so I shift the gears myself but I don't bother using a clutch. I've tried using the clutch but with so many gears it gets tiresome for me, heh.

Aaron D.

It is illegal in the entirety of New York City, sign or no sign. I don't even think they have any signs for it, it's just illegal at every light.

Yup. NYC is one of the few exceptions. Legal be default across the country otherwise.

"Right turns on red are permitted in many regions of North America. While Western states have allowed it for more than 50 years; eastern states amended their traffic laws to allow it in the 1970s as a fuel-saving measure in response to motor fuel shortages in 1973 and 1979. All 50 states, the District of Columbia, Guam, and Puerto Rico have allowed right turns on red since 1978, except where prohibited by a sign or where right turns are controlled by dedicated traffic lights. (In June 1978, Maryland became the last state to allow right turns on red.[2] Right turns on red became legal in the District of Columbia in November 1978.[3]) The few exceptions include New York City,[4] where right turns on red are prohibited, unless a sign indicates otherwise."

- Wiki

Anton668

I see the AI still doesnt know how to use reverse! fucking wankers...
least you can still push them out of your way long as you start with a gentle "love tap" and not ramming them.

Top Bottom