• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Truck Simulator |OT| Freedom gives me a Semi with a Heavy Load

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Might get this for a laugh. VideogamerTV got me interested. Will the Thrustmaster TX be compatible?

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
That's how it always starts.

Then people discover that the genre is ** GASP!! ** legitimately fun!

Yeah, it's true. Back when I first bought ETS2 I only got it because I love sim games, I love big rigs, and it seemed to be a well made game that was reviewing positive. But I had no idea that it would become one of my most favorite games of the past decade. I mean out of all of my Steam games ETS2 is in my top five of most hours played and I'm still not bored with it. And from my initial impressions of ATS this game will be no different, in fact I'm liking ATS more from the get go than I did with ETS2.

I'm sitting here at work today and I can't wait to get home and put some more miles on. I've only been to like half a dozen cities so far but they've all impressed me greatly. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the map!

I liked ETS2, but I really loved it when I played the multiplayer mod. Driving with friends using Teamspeak was amazing, the banter was top-notch.

dragn

anyone knows why my thrustmater tx doesnt center? the other ff effects are working, theres also no force at all when turning the wheel

c0Zm1c

kw900.jpg
I'm really looking forward to getting that truck.

Aaron D.

Lol. I love driving and the games but I always want something which is more relaxing and slow and I feel this could be that. Just driving around taking in the sceneary. Following the traffic rules and stuff.

Well you've come to the right place.

Most fans & critics agree that SCS Soft's truck sims are Zen Gardens. Brilliant in design and completely relaxing ways to unwind after work.

Gjerven

Came over an unmapped road that worked as a shortcut, don't remember any of those in ETS 2. There's probably more of them.

3VwGXEx.png

Aaron D.

There's no mods that put hands on the steering wheel, are there?

That's an interesting question.

I remember mentally noting this when I first started playing vehicle sims, but simply stopped seeing it after a while because no one else in the industry does it either.

Euro Truck, Farming Sim, MS Flight, DCS, Train Simulator, OMSI and more. They're all operated by invisible drivers.

I think it's fine as it lets the player focus on & appreciate all those buttons, switches, and dials.

Mengy

Came over an unmapped road that worked as a shortcut, don't remember any of those in ETS 2. There's probably more of them

SCS put a few of them into the Scandinavia expansion for ETS2, and yeah they seem to have embraced the concept for ATS too. I think I saw one or two yesterday but I didn't turn around to investigate, but I'm going to be keeping my eye out for them. Some of the ones I found in Scandinavia were pretty freaking awesome.

That's an interesting question.

I remember mentally noting this when I first started playing vehicle sims, but simply stopped seeing it after a while because no one else in the industry does it either.

Euro Truck, Farming Sim, MS Flight, DCS, Train Simulator, OMSI and more. They're all operated by invisible drivers.

Elite Dangerous is pretty much the only sim game I've ever played (that I can remember) that has the player's hands visible and actually there. It's really cool in Elite, but yeah most games don't bother.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Grabbed this finally. Loved ETS2, so looking forward to some time in here. Gotta set myself of a playlist for while I'm driving. Either that or I'll just have the Jet Set Radio Station playing in the background. =)

Gjerven

SCS put a few of them into the Scandinavia expansion for ETS2, and yeah they seem to have embraced the concept for ATS too. I think I saw one or two yesterday but I didn't turn around to investigate, but I'm going to be keeping my eye out for them. Some of the ones I found in Scandinavia were pretty freaking awesome.

Cool. Guess I'll visit Scandinavia again then, never noticed them.

MouldyK

I literally can't drive ETS2 or ATS without my TrackIR, lol.

Guys...is TrackIR really worth the £150+ Price tag just for Truck Simming?

I been debating it since I get 200+ hours from it alone on ATS and ETS2 DLC...but the high price of entry puts me off! Convince me!!!

Also, would it clip to a 42" TV?

Dineren

Banned

I been debating it since I get 200+ hours from it alone on ATS and ETS2 DLC...but the high price of entry puts me off! Convince me!!!

Honestly I can't imagine playing a cockpit game without it now. The only exception being if you were planning on diving into VR when the Oculus or Vive launch.

It will work fine with a 42" TV.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

I'd put the money towards a VR headset personally.

Mengy

Lazy Game Reviews review of the game for the OP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKSK8I3DWK4

Thanks, it's now added!

When I bought it over a year ago I knew I'd be using it for several games, but I really didn't comprehend just how much it adds to the experience. Three games I play regularly I now can not play without TrackIR active: FSX, Elite, and ETS2. Make that four games, ATS. I also use it in several other games that I play less often. For me it was worth every penny, but it took me actually owning it and using it to realize just how worth it the thing was.

MouldyK

Honestly I can't imagine playing a cockpit game without it now. The only exception being if you were planning on diving into VR when the Oculus or Vive launch.

It will work fine with a 42" TV.

Nah, not sold on VR just yet. But TrackIR seems really interesting! Especially because looking around seems more needed in this game than ETS2.

Also, about the no Hands on Wheel discussion: What annoys me is the fact few games, besides DIRT Rally, allow you to have No Wheel either.

But in DIRT Rally, they have a better view anyway with this "In Front of Wheel" view: Here.

This needs to be a view for more games!

SLV

There really needs to be pitch black smoke coming from the exhaust :(
And although the rain probability is in the middle, it doesnt mean that it rains a lot in the fucking desert. And it is 2016, are rain sensors really not a thing in trucks ?

Just to nitpick. With the huge exhausts coming from the American trucks, i really want to see smoke coming out of it ....

It won't work for Big Screen gaming, but if you're on a PC or laptop, FaceTrackNoIR is a FREE software program that works with your PC/laptop's camera to emulate TrackIR.

Not as precise, but it's free and you don't need any extra hardware. It'd say if TrackIR is 100%, FaceTrack is around 75%.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xx4GJF4JTs

The only annoying thing with FaceTrackNoIR is that you need to make sure your face is fully lit, otherwise it goes crazy.

Works fairly well otherwise, but I stopped using it because I didnt like having a light in front of my face.

This was with a pretty shitty webcam though, maybe something more modern works better.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Grabbed this finally. Loved ETS2, so looking forward to some time in here. Gotta set myself of a playlist for while I'm driving. Either that or I'll just have the Jet Set Radio Station playing in the background. =)

I found some nice radios in ETS2. Driving around with death metal on full volume = awesome :)

elseanio

Anyone using a g27 for this? My gears are a bit wonky

I am used to using H-Shifter, going through 1-6 and then pressing a button for 7-12. However, I am jumping from 1-6 to 13-18. Any ideas how to solve this? I wouldn't mind using 3 buttons for each range if needed

Moltenix

Btw, I noticed that alot of the California highway overpasses have those tall chain link like fences on the sides. Anyone know what those might be for?

Most overpasses i've seen elsewhere in real life just have a much shorter concrete barrier or some kind of metal guardrail. Thought that was interesting as I was trucking last night.

Ozium

Btw, I noticed that alot of the California highway overpasses have those tall chain link like fences on the sides. Anyone know what those might be for?

Most overpasses i've seen elsewhere in real life just have a much shorter concrete barrier or some kind of metal guardrail. Thought that was interesting as I was trucking last night.

so people don't jump / fall / throw shit

Mengy

Heck yeah, believe it or not they are to keep the wildlife off the highways. When I was out in California on my Harley I saw lots of free range cows all over the place, some free range donkeys too. On the minor roads and small highways you had to be careful because they'd be grazing right next to the pavement. The major highways have fences alongside them to keep them off the roads.

EDIT: oh, you said overpasses, nm. LOL

Ozium's right. Those are to prevent people from falling into or dropping stuff onto traffic.

Might get this for a laugh. VideogamerTV got me interested. Will the Thrustmaster TX be compatible?

I've been watching SystemSoldier and Squirrel's videos on Youtube for the last few evenings and really enjoyed them. I'll end up getting this pretty soon i think. SCS have big plans and the modding community for ETS/ETS2 have been great so i'm confident the game will have legs.

Oh and if a game where you drive around the country delivering stuff and following the rules of the road sounds like a nice way to unwind then these are the games for you :)

Aaron D.

The only annoying thing with FaceTrackNoIR is that you need to make sure your face is fully lit, otherwise it goes crazy.

Works fairly well otherwise, but I stopped using it because I didnt like having a light in front of my face.

This was with a pretty shitty webcam though, maybe something more modern works better.

Yeah, I game on a laptop that's relatively new and lighting/facial recognition has never been an issue. I haven't had to supplement with additional light sources anyway and I've never lost tracking.

Though it's not as responsive as Track IR so you will notice a slight lag in comparison.

So what's the more important hardware to use with this game between a wheel and TrackIR?

If money is no object, a wheel/shift/pedal combo would be the most immersive of the two. G27 seems to be the peripheral of choice when balancing price & build quality.

Mengy

How do I upgrade a garage? Should I just buy another truck or is there a level requirement?

The button to upgrade a garage is at the top left of the garage screen, under the picture of it. Your initial garage only starts with one truck bay, so in order to make space to hire other drivers you need to upgrade it first to a 3-bay, and then you can also up it to a 5-bay.

SJRB

Gold Member
Just a quick tip - this game doesn't support 32-bit Windows by default, but you can opt in an unsupported 32-bit "beta" through Steam to get the game running on 32-bit OS anyway.

I gifted the game to my dad yesterday and I just spent like half an hour troubleshooting why the hell the game was giving an "unknown error" when starting. Turns out it was because he's running 32-bit Windows 7.

Top Bottom