• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Analysts give opinions on Sony acquiring EA, Ubisoft or Take Two in response to Acti-Blizz deal

yurinka

No, sorry. I think Sony wants to expand their base as much as possible. A lot of money left on the table. Gof Of War and most likely Horizon will come to Xbox. Not immediately but it will happen.
Their console hardware, software and subscriptions sales and active userbase are big enough to don't need to go 3rd party on consoles. They will continue growing in consoles (only in their own ones + PC handhelds), subs and VR and are expanding to PC, mobile or movies and tv shows.

They are on track to grow a lot in all these areas and it's what they will do in the following years. They will only be on an Xbox console if MS kills Xbox and moves to Steamdeck-like PC consoles/hybrids that run all PC games. Which I think it's pretty possible, I think many brands will make their own PC (hybrid) handheld in the future, and even Sony may be one of them way, way in the future way after they would release their own PC (or Stadia like cloud gaming) store.

Last edited:
Their console hardware, software and subscriptions sales and active userbase are big enough to don't need to go 3rd party on consoles. They will continue growing in consoles (only in their own ones + PC handhelds), subs and VR and are expanding to PC, mobile or movies and tv shows.

They are on track to grow a lot in all these areas and it's what they will do in the following years.
I don't think so, I think Horizon and GOW: R will be exclusive at launch but then will release on XBox and Gamepass a little later. It only makes sense, just too much money to leave on the table.

MScarpa

They are on track to grow a lot in all these areas and it's what they will do in the following years.
I think by mid cycle, you'll see them come to Xbox. It'll be good for both parties. People who only own Xbox will be able to play some awesome games. And Sony will be able to dip into a good pool of new players. Win/Win

Lognor

Banned
Yeah it does make a lot of sense. Why wouldn't Sony release God of War on game pass? Ms has been paying a lot of money for these marquee titles. It'll add a bunch of subscribers to game pass and Sony will get a check. Win win

PSYGN

Lol, yeah right. I was surprised to see MS buy Activision considering how Sony and Activision were in marketing bed together.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
It will never happen, because just as Major League Baseball just showed last year, major sports want to be represented on all platforms. MLB the Show is a SONY 1st party game, now on Xbox and Gamepass. .

And that's exactly not a problem to Sony, it'll actually solidify their massive football deals with UEFA and FIFA. Actually if anything Sony should seek Konami and leverage their sponsorships to give PES (AKA eFootball) the upper hand going forward. And yes, releasing it on every platform. Like this sponsorship (since 1997) of the biggest sport event on Earth.

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned

They are on track to grow a lot in all these areas and it's what they will do in the following years. They will only be on an Xbox console if MS kills Xbox and moves to Steamdeck-like PC consoles/hybrids that run all PC games. Which I think it's pretty possible, I think many brands will make their own PC (hybrid) handheld in the future, and even Sony may be one of them way, way in the future way after they would release their own PC (or Stadia like cloud gaming) store.
Microsoft will do it just if buy Valve (steam)
that i think will happen in the next 5/7 years

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
The first step for sony to make a wise decision is:
Fire Jim Ryan

You're not up to date with the financial reports, aren't you? Playstation is generating all-time high revenue, exactly thanks to Ryan and his decisions to bump the price to 70$, 10$ upgrades, Director Cut re-releases, PC ports and so on.

People like you and me might not like him, but the truth is he's doing a fantastic job as the CEO, he brings ton of money and that's ultimately what every company is about - making money.

For the folks who keep saying “Sony should buy T2”

9NslrGx.jpg

Fear of retaliation mode has officially began :messenger_grinning_sweat:

People who cheered for consolidation are in for a bad surprise when they'll realize that this year is unlikely to end without a major acquisition and it won't be by MS who has to keep a low profile at least until their Activision deal is approved.

People should be prepared for either Capcom or Square to join/merge with SIE imo.

Capcom has already committed to PC they gain nothing from being acquired also they aren’t for sale lol.

kingfey

Banned
When do people learn this? Sony isn't just a gaming business. It has other business to take care of. There is no way, they will spend that much money on gaming, and risk their other businesses.

MonarchJT

Banned
Fear of retaliation mode has officially began :messenger_grinning_sweat:

People who cheered for consolidation are in for a bad surprise when they'll realize that this year is unlikely to end without a major acquisition and it won't be by MS who has to keep a low profile at least until their Activision deal is approved.

People should be prepared for either Capcom or Square to join/merge with SIE imo.
would change nothing for me and my vision of the PlayStation brand as right now.
They have as bare minimum to port games on PC day one and let me choose where I want to play buying it just one time (ala play anywhere)...fix the BC and make clear that from now it, will work also on PS6 and if Cerny is not good at it make another software engineer find a way ..release a service that give me all of theirs first party and is price competitive with gamepass ... Make gaming reimbursements effortless. then and just then they are back into competition...Until that moment for me Sony it is pushed only by the inertia of the fame of its brand .... the best offer it is on Microsoft side.....two games from SSM and two from naughty dog for a whole gen, albeit fantastic are not worth the investment given the differences in ecosystems. Returning to the acquisitions, Sony must start moving by now Microsoft has more than double its first parties

Ps. add to the list also a big f*** off with that price increase ... after Activision will pass under ms ownership , sony will remain the only one with that ridiculous (to defend) price of 81.99 euros for each game

Last edited:
I see little chances that Sony will be able to make an acquisition of this scale, it does not have the same investment capex as MS, but, Sony has a very strong brand and a very large fanbase to squeeze, which craves its exclusives, they just need to have the strength to generate high quality ones.

kuncol02

Banned
This is about the console side of things if that wasn't obvious already.

Tomb Raider and Deus Ex are dead, and Hitman is under IO interactive. Square has nothing to do with that outside of just handing them a license.

The Japanese division is the bread and butter of Square Enix right now and the only console most of those will be on is PS
But with other publisher there would at least be chance of rerelease of old TR and DE games. With how Sony is treating their old games there is no chance for that. How many Psygnosis games we can play now?

kingfey

Banned
You're not up to date with the financial reports, aren't you? Playstation is generating all-time high revenue, exactly thanks to Ryan and his decisions to bump the price to 70$, 10$ upgrades, Director Cut re-releases, PC ports and so on.

People like you and me might not like him, but the truth is he's doing a fantastic job as the CEO, he brings ton of money and that's ultimately what every company is about - making money.
Sony got that, due to pandemic. 2020 saw all time boost, due to lockdown.

Also last gen, xbox was kinda dead last gen.

I wouldn't call that a success. It's like playing with a little kid.

Though, Jim gave Sony some great decisions. Made them buy studios. Insomniac was a good purchase for them. And all those other small they are buying now. I will respect him for that.

Sadly, this gen is too much for them. MS is out there, spending $70b like it's nothing. That is 3x of Sony revenue in 2020, the best year in the gaming industry.

He is gonna face alot of criticism because of that. Its not his fault, that MS is giant company, who has almost 30x value to his parents company.

But with other publisher there would at least be chance of rerelease of old TR and DE games. With how Sony is treating their old games there is no chance for that. How many Psygnosis games we can play now?

Okay? Don't see what that has to do with anything

Last edited:
Sure didn’t say anything about the IPs. That’s why Microsoft has them working on new ones.

But they would get Hitman, the collection just hit GP. Writing is kinda all over the wall lol.

IOI only has a license for Hitman which can get revoked.

MS is paying loads of third party devs for for gamepass. There really isn't any writing on the wall lol. Not saying it won't happen but your evidence is a reach lol

Last edited:
What’s hilarious about the documented truth? Lol IOI is working on an exclusive and there were rumblings about acquisition of that team depending on how things went.

Same with Avalanche , also CD is literally working in tandem with the coalition on PD.

Where’s the joke ?

Just to entertain this, CD is under square enix. so Microsoft would have to willing to buy the entire publisher if that was the case. something they currently can't do due to the massive Activision/blizzard deal that hasn't been completed yet until 2023.

kingfey

Banned
IOI only has a license for Hitman which can get revoked.

MS is paying loads of third party devs for for gamepass. There really isn't any writing on the wall lol. Not saying it won't happen but your evidence is a reach lol
IOI would be great for them.

Imagine halo spin of by IOI.

reksveks

No more than your assumption that they would be willing to. at the end of the day, it's all speculation or far reaching than facts.
I didn't say it wasn't and didn't say it was a better or worse assumption. I just was just explicitly adding that it was an assumption and not a fact.

I personally don't know if MS would ever be able to get to a deal for CD.

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
Just to entertain this, CD is under square enix. so Microsoft would have to willing to buy the entire publisher if that was the case. something they currently can't do due to the massive Activision/blizzard deal that hasn't been completed yet until 2023.
they could make the deal under the radar and wait ....or Square Enix could sell just CD to Microsoft ...
This idea that Microsoft have to stay calm and quite until 2023 it's completely far-fetched ... but the narrative has already been pushed so much that by now you write it almost as if it were a rule. It is not'.
Obviously this happened because pushing this false idea ... would favor the other side.

"Since Microsoft's first acquisition in 1987, it has purchased an average of six companies a year. The company purchased more than ten companies a year between 2005 and 2008, and it acquired 18 firms in 2006, the most in a single year,"

They could go out and try to buy entirely SE as far as they're concerned… without affecting the ongoing acquisition in the slightest. But I don't think final fantasy interests Ms.

Last edited:
PlayStation fans really overestimate the importance of japanese games. I mean I like (some of) them, but you'd be wasting money

What's the alternative because western publishers are getting worse and worse. I find myself playing mostly Japanese developed games these days. I mean just look at February. The big games are from Japanese publishers and its genuine high quality.

Last edited:
they could make the deal under the radar and wait ....or Square Enix could sell just CD to Microsoft ...
This idea that Microsoft have to stay calm and quite until 2023 it's completely far-fetched ... but the narrative has already been pushed so much that by now you write it almost as if it were a rule. It is not'.
Obviously this happened because pushing this false idea ... would favor the other side.

"Since Microsoft's first acquisition in 1987, it has purchased an average of six companies a year. The company purchased more than ten companies a year between 2005 and 2008, and it acquired 18 firms in 2006, the most in a single year,"

They could go out and try to buy entirely SE as far as they're concerned… without affecting the ongoing acquisition in the slightest. But I don't think final fantasy interests Ms.

You really don't seem to grasp the current political landscape for these big tech companies. No, attempting to acquire two big players in the same industry within a year is not going to go down well with regulators, especially for Microsoft.

MonarchJT

Banned
You really don't seem to grasp the current political landsc for these big tech companies. No, attempting to acquire two big players in the same industry within a year is not going to go down well with regulators, especially for Microsoft.
Microsoft AFTER the acquisition of Activision would become just the third largest gaming company in terms of revenue......No one will ever try to move a finger against this acquisitions or other till the market leader is cornered so much as to objectively lose money and marketshare proving that these acquisitions are the real reason....but first should also prove that these are the real reasons.Yeah American antitrust will go against Apple or in this case Microsoft to save an japanese company....I'm seeing this yeah /s

And this type of deals take months and months...it would not happen this year ..and it wouldn't even happen if I were Sony buying unless the negotiations started years ago

Last edited:

H . R . 2

this is ...possible yet improbable
it's not about FIFA though, it's about losing COD to MS so they need a response ...Battlefield
still I pray they will never do this because EA is not even worth touching
they can secure an exclusivity deal on BF without a buyout

Microsoft AFTER the acquisition of Activision would become just the third largest gaming company in terms of revenue......No one will ever try to move a finger against this acquisitions or other till the market leader is cornered so much as to objectively lose money and marketshare proving that these acquisitions are the real reason.

What part of politics do you not get? They don't care about gaming or Sony or who the market leaders are there. They care about the $ trillion tech conglomerates like Microsoft, Google and Apple

Last edited:
Not gonna lie. All this talk of EA is absurd considering they’d go for like 50B Sony absolutely cannot afford something like that lmao.

What universe are these guys living in.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I don't think so, I think Horizon and GOW: R will be exclusive at launch but then will release on XBox and Gamepass a little later. It only makes sense, just too much money to leave on the table.

This is so illogical. Why would Sony want to expand out onto Xbox when the more content MS controls the more they need exclusive IP to use as USPs? Its not like they need MS to access the PC market when Epic and Steam are just as good partners to go with.

Most of all though the whole "money on the table" argument is based on exploiting existing markets and demand, not expanding out onto new markets where demand is purely hypothetical.

Its why from the start I considered it likely that Starfield would be exclusive. Yes, Bethesda have a pedigree but the property itself is untried and its actual value will only become manifest after it hits the market. Under those circumstances the risk/benefit calculation is very different compared to when an IP has an established audience and revenue stream that will be cut off by removing it from a competitor's platform.

The rationale is pretty simple; If Starfield comes out and becomes a smash hit critically and commercially, by not distributing the risk they are lining themselves up to reap all the benefits - not just in terms of income but of association with a new "hot" IP. This is potentially a big win not just in the short term, but in the mid and long term due to network effects. What's more should it not live up to expectations they are free to try and claw back some revenue by pushing it out onto PlayStation a year or more later should they deem it worthwhile.

On the other hand with something like say CoD, you have a very large existing audience only a portion of which will you be able to migrate onto Xbox/PC every year. You might pull a couple of million converts immediately, but many will play a waiting game, and some will be lost forever. Its impossible to argue that it won't cost sales, income, and brand value. Not to mention the optics are terrible; there will be a backlash to manage because a lot of people will not be happy about having to shell out money for new hardware for really no benefit other than to continue playing what they've been playing with their friends for years.

Top Bottom