• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Breaking News] Peter Jackson is returning to produce the first of the new Middle-earth films [2026]

Oberstein

Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh, and Philippa Boyens are returning to produce the first of the new Middle-earth films. The film is in early script development and is expected to release in 2026.

WARNER BROS. PICTURES AND NEW LINE CINEMA ARE SET TO REUNITE WITH THE OSCAR WINNING LORD OF THE RINGS AND THE HOBBIT TEAM PETER JACKSON, FRAN WALSH, AND PHILIPPA BOYENS FOR TWO NEW FEATURE FILMS FROM J. R. R. TOLKIEN’S MIDDLE EARTH, TWO-DECADES AFTER THE NEARLY $6 BILLION DOLLAR FILM FRANCHISE WAS FIRST INTRODUCED TO AUDIENCES

THE FIRST FILM LORD OF THE RINGS: THE HUNT FOR GOLLUM (*WT) WILL BE DIRECTED BY AND STAR LORD OF THE RINGS ALUMNI ANDY SERKIS

Source: https://www.theonering.net/torwp/2024/05/09/117942-andy-serkis-to-make-hunt-for-gollum-movie/

I want the PJ from the trilogy, not the one from The Hobbit.

8b351a2d693b4c9e7bcc9e5f2270a2c3.jpg

Please don't screw it up.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member

Peter Jackson has wanted to make this for years.

Two movies directed by Serkis. PJ is producing and Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens are writing.

The PJ version was about Gandalf and Strider tracking Gollum in the time between the Hobbit and LOTR.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Do I want it, not really will I go watch it. Sure.

2 movies seems like a lot.

I would just take more scenes from Middle Earth.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
So they will have to cast a young Aragorn for this movie. It's going to be weird because Viggo is Aragorn. And what about Gandalf? Ian McKellen is 84 now and can't imagine he'd be too enthused about reprising the role even if he was asked.

clarky

Gold Member
True, he screwed up on The Hobbit.
But during production he got an ulcer and the studio made him do 3 films instead of 2. And on top of that he had too much money, which ended up making Legolas-Mario.
I think he's aware that his marvel is the first trilogy. Let's hope he learns from it.
I dont think we can blame the hobbit on an ulcer mate lol.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Yes either as movies or a TV show like Harry Potter. This is much better because it’s something Jackson has had stewing since around the time of King Kong.

Well let's hope they invite Howard Shore (and that he's willing) to have another crack at Middle-earth as well.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Cautiously excited.. Hopefully Peter Jackson learned from mess of the hobbit movies.
The Hobbit wasn’t his fault. It was entirely interference from the WB regime at the time. Same ones who did Justice League.
Well let's hope they invite Howard Shore (and that he's willing) to have another crack at Middle-earth as well.
He did the Rings of Power theme.

Last edited:
Obviously a must watch given who is involved, but my hype and expectations are at literally zero. The Hobbit movies are not great. This doesn't seem like a story that needs to be told, and I don't know who they plan on having as Gandalf. Would be much more interested in these guys taking a crack at the earlier history.

Last edited:

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Obviously a must watch given who is involved, but my hype and expectations are at literally zero. The Hobbit movies are not great. This doesn't seem like a story that doesn't need to be told, and I don't know who they plan on having as Gandalf. Would be much more interested in these guys taking a crack at the earlier history.

Morgan Freeman Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

ManaByte

Gold Member
Obviously a must watch given who is involved, but my hype and expectations are at literally zero. The Hobbit movies are not great. This doesn't seem like a story that doesn't need to be told, and I don't know who they plan on having as Gandalf. Would be much more interested in these guys taking a crack at the earlier history.
They can’t. WB only has rights to the LOTR text. They can’t touch the Silmarillion because Amazon has that.

Melon Husk

How many years of pre-production did he get this time?

Said Jackson, Walsh and Boyens, “It is an honour and a privilege to travel back to Middle-earth with our good friend and collaborator, Andy Serkis, who has unfinished business with that Stinker ...

... Warner Bros. ...

... another epic adventure!”

Last edited:

VulcanRaven

The Hobbit wasn’t his fault. It was entirely interference from the WB regime at the time. Same ones who did Justice League.
One reason could be that Jackson wasn't supposed to direct them. When Del Toro left he kind of had to. He didn't have time to make his own pre-production.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
Yeah after he fucked the Hobbit im out.

Edit: It can't really be called The Hunt for Gollem? Can it? This is one of those practical joke threads right?

Dude got dealt a brutal hand and considering the circumstances it's a miracle the movies aren't 100 times more bad than they ended up being.

Peter Jackson is an incredible director. Plus this is just a producer gig, Andy Serkis is directing.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
One reaon could be that Jackson wasn't supposed to direct them. When Del Toro left he kind of had to. He didn't have time to make his own pre-production.
Jackson was fine with the two movie version. When WB demanded a third it literally nearly killed him. He was hospitalized with a perforated ulcer due to the stress of it.

Sonik

I seriously doubt modern Hollywood's sheer incompetence and arrogance can be nullified by some production role of a good director that btw also gave us those terrible CGI scenes in The Hobbit that looked like a fucking videogame cinematic

I'm not a big fan of the Lord of the Rings movies but even I won't watch this until I'm certain it won't desecrate the memory of a respected franchise like I expect it to

Dude got dealt a brutal hand and considering the circumstances it's a miracle the movies aren't 100 times more bad than they ended up being.

Peter Jackson is an incredible director. Plus this is just a producer gig, Andy Serkis is directing.

You're right but if he couldn't rein in old Hollywood's stupidity back then as a director what makes people think that he can control modern Hollywood's pure distilled retardation now as a producer?

Last edited:
Theres so many epic books they can do and yet they choose the milking. We really are starved for creative and risky movies these days huh? Seems like indie movies just like games are dominating. The big names are just shallow shit.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I hope they don't use the same AI to write it as Rings of Power.

Seriously, after Christopher Tolkien died, it's obvious this property went into the hands of people who do not give a shit at all. In a way we were lucky to get such a good custodian for so long.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Seriously, after Christopher Tolkien died, it's obvious this property went into the hands of people who do not give a shit at all. In a way we were lucky to get such a good custodian for so long.
The property went to his son. Christopher was the person who went to war with Jackson and kept him from making this movie for 20 years.

Trogdor1123

Not sure I want this. What would the story actually even be? All the lotr stars are too old and I’m not sure there is anything really ready for new people’s.

Hudo

Everyone should leave Lord of the Rings alone. We got 3 oustanding movies out of it and that surely is enough, no?

When you start to write your own stuff set in Tolkien's universe, you fucked up.

ManaByte

Gold Member
For those who don’t know what this is about, it’s from the Appendices.

In the book there’s a 17 year gap between Bilbo’s birthday party and Frodo leaving the Shire. Gandalf and Aragorn spend nearly a decade hunting Gollum during that time.

As there’s no 17 year gap in the movies they’ll shift it to right before Fellowship.

“3001 Bilbo’s farewell feast. Gandalf suspects his ring to be the One Ring. The guard on the Shire is doubled. Gandalf seeks for
news of Gollum and calls on the help of Aragorn.”

“3009 Gandalf and Aragorn renew their hunt for Gollum at intervals during the next eight years, searching in the vales of Anduin,
Mirkwood, and Rhovanion to the confines of Mordor. At some time during these years Gollum himself ventured into Mordor, and
was captured by Sauron. Elrond sends for Arwen, and she returns to Imladris; the Mountains and all lands eastward are becoming
dangerous.”

Top Bottom