• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Lord of the Rings & The Hobbit coming to 4K BluRay, Dec 1 2020

Audiophile

It's a 4K scan of original elements and a 4K scan of the VFX film-outs which will contain VFX still in the ~2K realm. Being mastered in Dolby Vision (fingers crossed for FEL with 12-Bit 4:2:2 on the disc).

Will still be a considerable upgrade over the Blu-rays.

So glad they're not just doing an upscale of the 2K DI.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
It's a 4K scan of original elements and a 4K scan of the VFX film-outs which will contain VFX still in the ~2K realm. Being mastered in Dolby Vision (fingers crossed for FEL with 12-Bit 4:2:2 on the disc).

Will still be a considerable upgrade over the Blu-rays.

So glad they're not just doing an upscale of the 2K DI.

That's good to hear!

ManaByte

So these new 4k discs to be released on December 1st will have the remastered effects but the blu Ray's won't for some reason? Is that correct?

They're not remastered effects. WETA made new 4K masters for all six movies.

The 4K versions in the separate sets and the collection next year are the new 4K masters. Neither set includes Blu-Rays.

The Blu-Rays will be out next fall and are new 1080p transfers from WETA's new 4K masters.

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
isn't it like 3 disc per movie too? wtf, they want me to get my fat ass up to reload disc? what is this, the 1990s?
I believe the theatrical version is one disc and the extended version is on two discs. 3 discs per movie, so 9 discs total.

Alfen Dave

I am huge prime fan of LOTR but some of the effects looked good (especially on smaller screen) because of the bluriness and poir resolution on old screens.

When old things get HD make up, it tends to be easier to see the fakeness of it.

ManaByte

For this new Ultra HD remaster, Weta Digital went back and scanned the original camera negative in 4K, then scanned the VFX film-out elements (for VFX shots that were finished on film) in 4K, and upsampled the VFX shots that were finished digitally (in 2K resolution) to create a brand new 4K Digital Intermediate at the proper 2.39:1 aspect ratio. The film’s color was then completely re-graded from the ground up by the original colorist, Peter Doyle, a process that included new grading for High Dynamic Range (both HDR10 and Dolby Vision options are available on these discs). All of this was personally supervised and approved by director Peter Jackson.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I'll get LOTR. Probably the greatest trilogy of all time and PJ did a stellar job adapting the books to film.

Fuck the Hobbit trilogy. That shit was a total mess. Whoever thought it would be a good idea to grind out a short book like the Hobbit into a trilogy needs to be shot.

If they had kept it tight and maybe kept to the original plan of making two films, with film one ending with the barrel escape, then it really could have worked. But no. They fucked it.

Smaug was comical rather than being this terrifying force of nature. The battle of the five armies should have been the greatest battle in cinema history, but it was just a visuallly poor, bore fest. Speaking of visuals, how the fuck did they manage to make the special effects look worse than LOTR? The mind boggles. Don't get me started either on Radagast.

Amazon are now doing a middle earth series, but the question is, will it be true to the writings of Tolkien and the universe he created, or will it be a Middle-earth take on modern politics and be..........."woke"?

So yeah, I'll absolutely be picking up the 4K version of LOTR.

Ixion

I'll get LOTR. Probably the greatest trilogy of all time and PJ did a stellar job adapting the books to film.

Fuck the Hobbit trilogy. That shit was a total mess. Whoever thought it would be a good idea to grind out a short book like the Hobbit into a trilogy needs to be shot.

If they had kept it tight and maybe kept to the original plan of making two films, with film one ending with the barrel escape, then it really could have worked. But no. They fucked it.

Smaug was comical rather than being this terrifying force of nature. The battle of the five armies should have been the greatest battle in cinema history, but it was just a visuallly poor, bore fest. Speaking of visuals, how the fuck did they manage to make the special effects look worse than LOTR? The mind boggles. Don't get me started either on Radagast.

Amazon are now doing a middle earth series, but the question is, will it be true to the writings of Tolkien and the universe he created, or will it be a Middle-earth take on modern politics and be..........."woke"?

So yeah, I'll absolutely be picking up the 4K version of LOTR.

Forgot the name of it, but the 2-hour fan edit of The Hobbit that came out a few years ago basically turns it into a LOTR-quality film (with a couple awkward transitions though). There's enough great moments throughout the Hobbit trilogy, that when whittled down to the core story, it makes for something great. Would be sweet if we got an official release of something like that one day...

ManaByte

The same people responsible for butchering the DCEU. They've all jumped out of WB with their golden parachutes already.

Jackson wanted to just do the two-movie version. Which would've been fine. Basically Part 1 ended with them going down the river in the barrels. And part 2 is all of the Laketown/Five Armies stuff.

But WB wanted three $1 billion movies and forced Jackson into stretching it into a trilogy.

Last edited:
yeah I get that the extended cuts are 4 hours but damn, I'd rather stream then get my lazy ass up off the couch to swap disc 3 times a movie.

AJUMP23

Have the steelbook edition of LotR on order from Best Buy. Can't wait to get them next week!
Did you get your steel books?

I ended up getting mine for free because they were lost in the mail for 2 weeks. BestBuy refunded my purchase and then 2 days later the usps found them and delivered them.
I ended up with an extra code for the digital LOTR due to buying one when I thought my steel books were lost.

Setzer

Did you get your steel books?

I ended up getting mine for free because they were lost in the mail for 2 weeks. BestBuy refunded my purchase and then 2 days later the usps found them and delivered them.
I ended up with an extra code for the digital LOTR due to buying one when I thought my steel books were lost.

Yep, got mine. Was fortunate enough to get a box that didn't have a dent in it, which seems to be an issue with these. Then again, I did an in-store pickup for my set so I could inspect the box before taking it.

Top Bottom