• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Animal Crossing wins TGS game of the year

LarknThe4th

yeah because cyberpunk is only shooting.

also, dude the shooting is gonna be probably mediocre in cyberpunk, literally no one is buying that game to shoot stuff.
Really?

Cause the way the game has been marketed and demoted has been drenched in guns, guns guns!

Not critiquing it, but the reality is this is gonna be most at home being labelled as a 1st person shooter cause a lot of the game is going to be you(the player) shooting guns

GymWolf

Really?

Cause the way the game has been marketed and demoted has been drenched in guns, guns guns!

Not critiquing it, but the reality is this is gonna be most at home being labelled as a 1st person shooter cause a lot of the game is going to be you(the player) shooting guns
Only casuals buy this game for the shooting, you can look at any topic in here and almost everybody think that the shooting looks subpar and they are excited for other stuff.

this is more of a cyberpunk rpg dream for many people more than a simple shooter.

i mean look at literally every discussion about witcher 3, the number of people who really enjoyed the combat and bought the game just to slay monster is pretty small.

Last edited:

LarknThe4th

Only casuals buy this game for the shooting, you can look at any topic in here and almost everybody think that the shooting looks subpar and they are excited for other stuff.

this is more of a cyberpunk rpg dream for many people more than a simple shooter.

i mean look at literally every discussion about witcher 3, the number of people who really enjoyed the combat and bought the game just to slay monster is pretty small.
Oh of course, but I really don't think its disingenuous to characterise it as a shooter, I also think it's more than casuals who will play this primarily as an open world shooter

I would ask you to picture the game without and gunplay and I imagine you would struggle to visualise that, just like it would be very hard to visualise Animal Crossing without house customisation

WakeTheWolf

It deserves it to be honest. And I'm just getting back into this. Frankly, I prefer winter and the halloween has me excited! Will be playing catch up though

Last edited:

GymWolf

Oh of course, but I really don't think its disingenuous to characterise it as a shooter, I also think it's more than casuals who will play this primarily as an open world shooter

I would ask you to picture the game without and gunplay and I imagine you would struggle to visualise that, just like it would be very hard to visualise Animal Crossing without house customisation
you are gonna be surprise to see how many people are gonna use hacking or stealth or cybershit builds instead of pure rambo builds...

LarknThe4th

you are gonna be surprise to see how many people are gonna use hacking or stealth or cybershit builds instead of pure rambo builds...
I'm sure many will play it like that, but I think the majority will be shooting there way through

Not like it's a bad thing really

GymWolf

I'm sure many will play it like that, but I think the majority will be shooting there way through

Not like it's a bad thing really
again, you are gonna be surprise when the statistics for the game are gonna come out. (or even by looking at this very forum)

-Arcadia-

Banned
Art is the execution of a concept, for instance Sgt Peppers is a far better late 60s psychedelic concept album than their satanic majesty by the Rollimg Stones

Whereas Animal Crossing is basically the perfect escape game, a shined and hardened diamond of its simulation genre, will Cyberpunk be the best cyberpunk shooter and fulfill its mandate of offering that near future power fantasy as well as Animal Crossing fulfills its?

That's to be seen, but I am sceptical

Which is all fair, but so is my read. There comes a point where something is so different, it almost defies comparison.

LarknThe4th

Which is all fair, but so is my read. There comes a point where something is so different, it almost defies comparison.
Well I think they can be compared pretty effectively in a bracket named let's say

"Videogames that execute there artistic mandate or brief"

I mean if you compared them they would have a lot in common, but I take your point they do also have a lot of differences

Bodomism

Banned
Its japan, AC sold like 8 million copies or something there.
In UK, AC has surpassed the best selling playstation exclusive. In the US physical sales alone is roughly ~3 million units without including 50% of total sales from digital. In other words, physical sales alone in the US is enough to outsell FF7R with physical+digital, and TLOU2 physical+digital sales.

cryptoadam

Banned
In UK, AC has surpassed the best selling playstation exclusive. In the US physical sales alone is roughly ~3 million units without including 50% of total sales from digital. In other words, physical sales alone in the US is enough to outsell FF7R with physical+digital, and TLOU2 physical+digital sales.

Ya AC has been a beast.

Its just not surprising in Japan that TGS would say its game of the year seeing how it out sold every other game by a fair margin

Top Bottom