• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Animals with the craziest camouflage!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

EGOMON

The animal world is full of trickery and concealment. To evade predators and sneak up on prey, animals must often distort their true appearance.
In order to pull of these subterfuges, animals have evolved many types of camouflage, some of which can easily fool human eyes.A common tactic is background matching, where an animal sports colors and patterns that help it blend in with its surroundings. This can be as simple as a snow-white coat of fur. Other, more elaborate disguises resemble the whorls of bark on a tree or mottled surface of stone.

draco-indochinensis.jpg

Draco indochinensis, a type of gliding lizard in India, showing off its background-matching skills.
peach_blossom.jpg

The peach blossom, a type of moth that uses disruptive coloration.
cuttlefish.jpg

A cuttlefish camouflaged to match the seafloor.
tawny_frogmouth.jpg

Talk about committing to your role!
filefish.jpg

harlequin fish seem to adopt the aroma of the corals they eat in order to hide from predators
caterpillar.jpg

A caterpillar in Ecuador that greatly resembles bird poop.
katydid.jpg

This katydid mimics a leaf.
bairds_sandpiper_chicks.jpg

Baird's sandpiper chicks blend in.
moth_camouflage.jpg

A moth mimics its stony environment.
decorator_crab.jpg

A decorator crab wears detritus to match its surroundings.
stick_insect.jpg

A stick insect in Malaysia.
hoplophrys_oatesi.jpg

A concealed soft coral crab.
crab_spider.jpg

Camouflage can make flowers into treacherous territory. This one hid a hungry goldenrod crab spider.
nightjar.jpg

This nightjar—a type of bird—is well matched to its surroundings.
amakusaplana_flat_worm.jpg

A flat worm cunningly disguised on its host coral.
snub-nosed_darts.jpg

Some fish use their skin like mirrors, reflecting light to hide in open waters.
And, finally, a caterpillar that looks like it's wearing a snake's head

To read more about this visit the article

I remember seeing the draco on Planet Earth. Impressive.

That moth picture. It's just a stone wall, you can't fool me! Where's the moth...?

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
How can we not mimic the octipi camo yet? I'm amazed that hasn't been like a 5 billion dollar research thing yet to do that.

6oJynVX.png

That nightjar photo spooked the heck out of me until I looked up what a nightjar actually looks like. I thought it was some kind of nightmare pelican.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom