• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anonymous poster on Operation Sports reveals all about Joe Montana 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmizzal

Damien Grow - He has not revealed who is developing. He said EA is not, but wouldn't confirm or deny 2k. He's also tweeted positive references to 2k on several other occasions leading to speculation but nothing else.

It could be possible that they have former 2K devs, I mean i'm pretty sure a lot of the football people from 2K5 and back are no longer working there.

Why would the NFL be OK with a console-exclusivity deal and essentially compete against its own license with Madden? Say, hypothetically, if it did exist and sold extremely well to the point where the Madden franchise was forever damaged like how NBA Live an no longer compete with NBA 2K, how is that advantageous to the NFL if the game is exclusive to the Microsoft platform? Also, won't it piss EA off? Do they not remember the Dreamcast?

American centric thinking again will not win them the console wars. No one outside the US will care about an exclusive NFL game.

Broad generalisation much?
Sorry, forget where I was for a moment, go ahead

I think you meant "The sales outside of the US are not significant enough to be a driving reason to put money into this franchise although we shouldn't ignore them".

If any of this exists. 4 more pages and this thread hits the twilight zone.

FTF

Why would the NFL be OK with a console-exclusivity deal and essentially compete against its own license with Madden? Say, hypothetically, if it did exist and sold extremely well to the point where the Madden franchise was forever damaged like how NBA Live an no longer compete with NBA 2K, how is that advantageous to the NFL if the game is exclusive to the Microsoft platform? Also, won't it piss EA off? Do they not remember the Dreamcast?

Yeah, my thoughts too and it's all very questionable.

Because after this season, if theres one thing you can say about the nfl, its that forward thinkers they are not.

wildfire

Banned
Windows is a bigger platform than the current and previous console generations combined.

I still have a hard time swallowing MS is capable of making a one OS to rule them all but they are clearly attempting to make Windows 10 into exactly that.

What's fanboy dribble? Do you mean drivel?

noun
noun: dribble; plural noun: dribbles

a thin stream of liquid; a trickle.

It's an allusion to a person drooling or foaming at the mouth.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
for sure, "2K is involved!" is definitely within "Factor 5 is making a new Kid Icarus" territory

People will still buy Madden on XB1 and they wouldn't have another choice on PS4.

Ideally this will get Madden back in fighting shape because they have been resting on their laurels for to long.

1. The NFL makes money off BOTH products, because both would have the NFL license. It's not competing against itself. In fact, it would probably make the NFL MORE money having a bigger playerbase of BOTH Madden and Joe Montana fans.

2. Same with NBA Live/NBA2K - the NBA doesn't care which sells more - it makes money off both because BOTH are NBA licensed.

3. Who the hell cares what EA thinks? Their feelings are irrelevant. Madden would still be made for multiple platforms. The Madden robots would continue to buy it as usual. The only difference is now there would be TWO NFL products to choose from. You think EA would "get mad" and stop selling Madden games on the XB360/XB1 to get back at Microsoft? lol

ttech10

Well thank God!

*Saves money, arranges arrangements, plans plans*

That just sounds so much like some kid trying to get others excited.

There's also the bit about Windows 10. Almost nobody will need to buy it, why is this person giving everyone months to "make arrangements and plans" on purchasing an OS that will mostly be free to upgrade to and is likely to release after the alleged July launch of this game?

Not to mention the part about exclusivity stuff appears to be completely wrong.

As someone who reads through conspiracy sites for entertainment, I've seen a lot of pure BS posted, and that's what this comes across as. Take one small truth and blow it completely out of proportion, hoping that everyone overlooks all the stuff that doesn't make sense because of that one nugget of truth and a few slight possibilities (it having some connection to 2k).

However, part of me hopes Microsoft actually will put out a game that rivals Madden, simply to see the reaction EA has to it.

gthobbes

Banned
1. The NFL makes money off BOTH products, because both would have the NFL license. It's not competing against itself. In fact, it would probably make the NFL MORE money having a bigger playerbase of BOTH Madden and Joe Montana fans.

2. Same with NBA Live/NBA2K - the NBA doesn't care which sells more - it makes money off both because BOTH are NBA licensed.

3. Who the hell cares what EA thinks? Their feelings are irrelevant. Madden would still be made for multiple platforms. The Madden robots would continue to buy it as usual. The only difference is now there would be TWO NFL products to choose from. You think EA would "get mad" and stop selling Madden games on the XB360/XB1 to get back at Microsoft? lol

Exactly -- QFT

Yeah, my thoughts too and it's all very questionable.

If this thing does exist Id be shocked if it had the NFL license. Not sure having that license is something they could keep secret anyway.

If it doesnt have it that makes their pricing model interesting. Do they compete directly with Madden at $60? Maybe they can carve out a Winning Eleven type section of their own market? Do they go budget priced? F2P with heavy emphasis on online leagues and customization (pay $5 to create a team and join a league with your buddies?)?

MS is deadly serious about winning the console war! Hence this... NFL game.

Fucking hell xD Yeah, Europe's already binning the PS4 in anticipation of this US centric XB1 announcement.

Ah, got ya. And yeah, 2K5/2K8 have some animations that are still better than Madden. It's pretty sad.

riceapftdcatch.gif

http://s24.postimg.org/wp6e149o3/112bhh4.gif

Meanwhile @ EA

tumblr_mwcfzs76WY1qeuiqyo1_400.gif

MS is deadly serious about winning the console war! Hence this... NFL game.

Fucking hell xD Yeah, Europe's already binning the PS4 in anticipation of this US centric XB1 announcement.

The battle world wide is pretty much over. MS "won" last gen because of North America so it would make sense to make that the priority again.

gthobbes

Banned
If this thing does exist Id be shocked if it had the NFL license. Not sure having that license is something they could keep secret anyway.

If it doesnt have it that makes their pricing model interesting. Do they compete directly with Madden at $60? Maybe they can carve out a Winning Eleven type section of their own market? Do they go budget priced? F2P with heavy emphasis on online leagues and customization (pay $5 to create a team and join a league with your buddies?)?

Microsoft paid the NFL $400 million, so far doesn't have anything to show for it, and you'd be "shocked" if it has the NFL license? Do you think they gave them $400 million just to be the official tablet of the NFL? LoL -- c'mon, now.

Nintenyearold

Neo Member
The Joe Montana name attachment seems weird to me. At first glance it makes me think that it would be an unlicensed game with retired players or something similar.

I'll be interested to see how this plays out. Some competition for Madden can only be good.

Mael

- The game is called Joe Montana NFL Football 16. This is an NFL game. First-party stipulations that the NFL has always left open & the NFL’s exclusive relationship with Microsoft allows for Microsoft to have an NFL game. Microsoft Studios is the publisher. Microsoft is deadly serious about gaining ground and winning the console war (doubtful to happen at this point though) and throwing tons of money at incubation and trying to buy new IP that they can turn into big series’ titles is top priority for them right now.
Man they really don't get it do they?

The battle world wide is pretty much over. MS "won" last gen because of North America so it would make sense to make that the priority again.

X360 wasn't a non entity in the EU like the xbone is trying to be.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
PC version that can be modded each year with new rosters?

YES, PLEASE.

brett2

The Joe Montana name attachment seems weird to me. At first glance it makes me think that it would be an unlicensed game with retired players or something similar.

I'll be interested to see how this plays out. Some competition for Madden can only be good.

Having a football game named after a current player isn't much of a story. Having a game named after Joe Montana is something that the mainstream press could cling to. Also, Montana doesn't seem too busy these days so he can spend a lot of time doing promotion for the game and who wouldn't want to interview Joe Montana?

If this rumor turns out the be true and the game is much better than Madden then I would seriously consider getting an XB whereas now I have no interest.

Microsoft paid the NFL $400 million, so far doesn't have anything to show for it, and you'd be "shocked" if it has the NFL license? Do you think they gave them $400 million just to be the official tablet of the NFL? LoL -- c'mon, now.

Doesn't have anything to show for it? Having MS branding shown during EVERY game and every pregame show during the entire season, including the most watched television event of the year, is nothing? Look at how much money the NFL brings in from its partners that doesn't come cheap. Nike and Directv paid BILLIONS for their associations. Similarly Bose paid the NFL more than $50 million a year (remember MS $400 million is over 5 years) just to be the "official headset" of the NFL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom