• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anonymous poster on Operation Sports reveals all about Joe Montana 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

NHale

Clearly E3 is coming.

It's a Microsoft exclusive (W10/XB1) because NFL broke the exclusive agreement it currently has signed with EA.

2K is involved in making a game for other people just because they are a good samaritan.

Yeah guys I'm under a NDA but I can't wait anymore, the game is amazeballs. Best invention since the wheel. Just wait until E3 Windows 10/Xbox One presentation brought you by the magic of Kinect, your jaws will be dropped so far that the Earth center of gravity will change.

Pastapadre reaction on Twitter when the forum post at OS spread couldn't be more perfect. This is either the biggest secret on the videogame industry or a lot of people will end up disappointed.

My ONLY real concern is the possibility of either Visual Concepts or 2K Sports itself being potentially bought by Microsoft And absorbed as a 1st party.

I mean, if MS somehow got the VC team under it's own roof exclusively... whoa.

Hopefully, it's like From Software's deal to only make a single IP platform-exclusive (Bloodbourne) while keeping the other IPs (Dark Souls) multiplatform.

NHale

My ONLY real concern is the possibility of either Visual Concepts or 2K Sports itself being potentially bought by Microsoft And absorbed as a 1st party.

I mean, if MS somehow got the VC team under it's own roof exclusively... whoa.

Hopefully, it's like From Software's deal to only make a single IP platform-exclusive (Bloodbourne) while keeping the other IPs (Dark Souls) multiplatform.

Are you serious? 2K Sports is owned by Take Two and also the makers of the very profitable NBA 2K series. Unless you are hinting at Microsoft acquiring Take Two which would include Rockstar (without the Houser brothers), 2K Sports and 2K Games (that would be quite a news story), that is definitely not happening.

bsnakes12

Neo Member
Sounds cool I guess, I'll pick it up on PC if the reviews say it's half decent. If they think this game can be bigger than the show I'd be very surprised if they only starting a marketing campaign a month before the game comes out.

IF the game comes out this year I'd say they sneak it in just before Madden in the middle of August or they have to push it and it comes out in October. Nothing big every comes out in July. If it really is coming out in July the game should be basically done now and I find it very had to believe there is this little news out there on a game that comes out in 4 months and is supposed to be (and I'd assume would be) a full 60$ retail release.

Derpyduck

Banned
To truly reclaim the glory days of 2K football, MS would need to get the original announcers back (You can't coach that!), and release the game for 19.99.

Haunted

Clearly E3 is coming.

It's a Microsoft exclusive (W10/XB1) because NFL broke the exclusive agreement it currently has signed with EA.

2K is involved in making a game for other people just because they are a good samaritan.

Yeah guys I'm under a NDA but I can't wait anymore, the game is amazeballs. Best invention since the wheel. Just wait until E3 Windows 10/Xbox One presentation brought you by the magic of Kinect, your jaws will be dropped so far that the Earth center of gravity will change.
image.php

Are you serious? 2K Sports is owned by Take Two and also the makers of the very profitable NBA 2K series. Unless you are hinting at Microsoft acquiring Take Two (that would be quite a news story), that is definitely not happening.

Bungie broke away from Microsoft once their contract expired. Sure MS still owns "Halo", but they don't own Bungie or Destiny.

If this leak is accurate, Microsoft owns the publishing rights to Joe Montana Football 16, not 2K/Take Two.

And if VC devs are co-developing it, and only a 1st party can make NFL games outside of EA... Well, you tell me what it means?

Why would Take Two allow it's own studio people to work on an IP they don't publish for?

If true and the game is signifigantly better than the next Madden, then this is a genius move by Microsoft to move hardware. I haven't owned an NFL game since 2K5, but I'd probably give this a look.

NHale

Bungie broke away from Microsoft Ince their contract expired. Sure MS still owns "Halo", but they don't own Bungie or Destiny.

Bungie didn't had a contract with Microsoft. Microsoft owned Bungie and both parties agreed to split and it appears with a clause that guaranteed MS the rights of first refusal for their next IP.

For 2K Sports to leave away Take Two the same thing has to happen. Both parties have to agree to split especially the party that owns the company which is Take Two.

But let's keep on this level, I'm saying this right now Naughty Dog leaves SCE and joins Microsoft Game Studios (announcement at E3) to work on the new Banjo and Kazooie. Guaranteed.

And if VC devs are co-developing it, and only a 1st party can make NFL games outside of EA... Well, you tell me what it means?

Why would Take Two allow it's own studio people to work on an IP they don't publish for?

Ask the poster at Operation Sports that said those things because the first part is a lie. Unlike MLB, the contract between NFL and 3rd party doesn't include an exclusion for 1st party development.

About Take Two allowing 2K Sports people to work on a game that they are not publishing, I believe the answer is quite clear, don't you think?

Remember last year there was also "news"/forum posts that guaranteed that Fallout 4, Mass Effect, Red Dead Revengeance were going to be exclusives.

So this is being positioned as a Madden competitor. Not sure why he would add that hash tag otherwise. If it's true that MS is publishing it I wonder if EA will be marketing Madden with Xbox any longer.

Yep, wish people would stop with the mobile talk. There's been mocap work, high quality renders of "likeness", with attention to detail such as sweat and dilation, and Damon has a few tweets out there talking about being excited to end a monopoly. None of that sounds mobile to me...it's being positioned as a Madden competitor

I actually think Madden is still a solid game, but I'm a 49ers fan and competition is a good thing so I welcome our new football overlords microsoft

wildfire

Banned
Are you serious? 2K Sports is owned by Take Two and also the makers of the very profitable NBA 2K series. Unless you are hinting at Microsoft acquiring Take Two which would include Rockstar (without the Houser brothers), 2K Sports and 2K Games (that would be quite a news story), that is definitely not happening.

You act as if publishers don't collaborate, especially 1st party+3rd party combos. Nintendo has done it frequently compared to Sega/Sony/MS, even though they have had the worst 3rd party support in over a decade.

Derpyduck

Banned
I actually think Madden is still a solid game, but I'm a 49ers fan and competition is a good thing so I welcome our new football overlords microsoft

I bought Madden this past year for the first time in a long time and I was surprised at how awful tackling animations still are. How did 2K manage to get it right so long ago but it still eludes EA? Otherwise it's a pretty solid game.

Griss

I've been an NFL fan forever, Dolphins fan since I was about 4 years old, watch every game.

Despite that I've only ever bought two copies of Madden my whole life. I always try them, and always hate them. I would do ANYTHING for a new competitor for Madden, and that absolutely includes buying an XB1 if that's where it comes out.

All of that said, I don't believe any of this for a second. The guy behind that rumour didn't even put any effort into it. Watch this be shovelware.

El Topo

If true and the game is signifigantly better than the next Madden, then this is a genius move by Microsoft to move hardware. I haven't owned an NFL game since 2K5, but I'd probably give this a look.

It's also a move that would do absolutely nothing outside the US, although it's possible they've given up on those regions already. Maybe even reasonable though, all things considered.

Lothars

Pastapadre reaction on Twitter when the forum post at OS spread couldn't be more perfect. This is either the biggest secret on the videogame industry or a lot of people will end up disappointed.
It's going to be a huge dissapointment, I don't have any doubt that's how it will end up.

Jburton

Banned
Return of the America Box: Part 2.

Sounds great to have a rival to EA (will EA still love MS the most? ;) ), but the majority of the world just let out a collective yawn.

More TV at E3 will complete the relaunch.

McHuj

Sounds great to have a rival to EA (will EA still love MS the most? ;) ), but the majority of the world just let out a collective yawn.

Just like all the TV at last year's E3, right?

nampad

Agree on everything except the TV stuff.

LX_Theo

Banned
I don't get it ?

"hey there's some shady shit going on about this game and you guys need to know"
"jk the game is fucking amazing lmao every game will look like pong compared to it"

Why ?

Because either someone is making up stuff in the first place or they're trying to create false hype over the game.

smurphdogg

Neo Member
A few of reactions here.

1. It'd be absolutely amazing if it were true, but I am highly skeptical of the veracity of this report. It reads amateurish, is hard to believe the release timing is accurate, and the hyperbole is rampant.

2. Pricing. It should not be overlooked, that key to NFL2K5 sales and cult-like following, was its $20 pricetag. I do think it could still sell at 60/50, but it'll be a helluva lot harder cutting into the Madden juggernaut without the substantial discount.

3. The Joe Montana team has Oculus Rifts?!?!?

A few of reactions here.

1. It'd be absolutely amazing if it were true, but I am highly skeptical of the veracity of this report. It reads amateurish, is hard to believe the release timing is accurate, and the hyperbole is rampant.

2. Pricing. It should not be overlooked, that key to NFL2K5 sales and cult-like following, was its $20 pricetag. I do think it could still sell at 60/50, but it'll be a helluva lot harder cutting into the Madden juggernaut without the substantial discount.

3. The Joe Montana team has Oculus Rifts?!?!?

#2 It's not about the price I have been on team 2k since the dreamcast.

Honestly, this all seems like someone is pulling shit from their ass or trying to over hype the game.

While Microsoft does have the ability to make a 1st party exlusive with the NFL (EA owns 3rd party exclusive til 2019) I have a hard time believing that would make a direct competitor to EA.

Bold prediction: If this game is coming, look for EA to work more closely with Sony as a pleasant "Fuck You" to Microsoft.

alterno69

Banned
If this game is at least decent i'm in day 1.

This is the kind of exclusive stuff Sony and MS should work on with third parties. Good move by MS.

Honestly, this all seems like someone is pulling shit from their ass or trying to over hype the game.

While Microsoft does have the ability to make a 1st party exlusive with the NFL (EA owns 3rd party exclusive til 2019) I have a hard time believing that would make a direct competitor to EA.

Bold prediction: If this game is coming, look for EA to work more closely with Sony as a pleasant "Fuck You" to Microsoft.

This worries me too, is MS so desperste that they'll risk pissing EA off? It all sounds too good to be true and a risky move by MS at the same time.

Gabeking

OP should add this into his post as well: http://www.operationsports.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2047127545&postcount=960

People keep saying that a generic won't work and the NFL license is exclusive, but all signs point to a console/pc game so somethings gotta give in this equation. Here's what we do know so far based off of Joe Montana, Damon Grow and Joe Harford, all three are confirmed to be working on this game...

From Joe Montana:

There is a tech crunch video from 2012 where Joe Montana talks about his interest in making a game to compete with Madden. Damon Grow was suggested as someone who could help with this. At some point they went with a mobile app instead, but have apparently abandoned it in favor of this game.

https://m.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=5R3quJaPNgk

Joe Montana then tweeted out the phrases #You've waited long enough #More than a roster update. Given the tech video, it can be a direct challenge to madden and suggestive of a console game.

He also tweeted a mocap session. https://m.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=AMVY1lQao8s
The session model looks like models from pics on Damon Grows Twitter. https://twitter.com/DamonGrow/status/560522691002658817
It's our best clue of what the game actually looks like.

From Damon Grow:

Damon Grow appears to be in charge of this project. He represents not only the game but Joe Montana. I see no reason to doubt his info.

He has 3 tweets regarding monopolies. Obvious reference is Madden and EA. https://twitter.com/DamonGrow/status/530837420040667136
https://twitter.com/DamonGrow/status/540256934410989568
https://twitter.com/DamonGrow/status/560858432798859264

AI is a major focus to this game. https://twitter.com/DamonGrow/status/533327330366586880

This tweet contains an image of Joe Harford. He's on the cpu screen. More on him later.
https://twitter.com/DamonGrow/status/535163554538995713

He tweeted twice about pc games. The pc market is underserved. The game is not pc only. Dispute here, but I'd tend to believe pc is involved along with at least one other platform.
https://twitter.com/DamonGrow/status/553373141511069696
https://twitter.com/DamonGrow/status/553377549871349760

He also tweeted about oculus rift twice. Once asking our opinion on them and once announcing theirs had arrived. Another possible pc reference.

He has not revealed who is developing. He said EA is not, but wouldn't confirm or deny 2k. He's also tweeted positive references to 2k on several other occasions leading to speculation but nothing else.

Odds and ends he's revealed is that the game will include dynamic weather, a working in game stadium ticker, fan rendering involving 3500 permutations, that franchise mode will be the soul of this game, player models will include details like sweat pooling and vein dilation.

FROM Joe Harford: As I referenced in the Damon Grow Twitter pic, this is the art director behind this game. He was first discovered on a website called artforgames.com where his profile contained images of a Joe Montana head sculpted for a game and titled "Joe Montana NFL Game" as well as goalposts labeled "NFL Stadium." The images are gone now but can be found with various YouTubers.

https://twitter.com/Virtual_FBaller/...23884887527424

His association was also confirmed by this Blackpool article.
http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/wh...-hub-1-7036495

Joe Harford describes himself as a AAA game artist and runs Airship Studios. Some of their other projects include Ryse, Forza and Forza 2, Crysis. His involvement tends to suggest this is a console / pc game like his other projects.

So there it is. At least most of what we have. Based on the info available I tend to believe this is a AAA title from a major developer for pc and console designed as a competitor to Madden. Others can disagree. I think everyone can agree it's worth following this project to see what unfolds.

spookyfish

Bungie broke away from Microsoft once their contract expired. Sure MS still owns "Halo", but they don't own Bungie or Destiny.

If this leak is accurate, Microsoft owns the publishing rights to Joe Montana Football 16, not 2K/Take Two.

(I'm not making a disparaging comment -- it could just be MS is publishing and paying VC for tech or for the actual game.)

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Don't believe it.

Even if true I don't own an xbox so I'll never play it.

However. I hope it's true. I truly hope it's true. EA Tiburon needs someone to step in. They have been a serious disappointment.

It's been too long.

Kilau

Gold Member
Microsoft will still have Madden. This is 2K's way of releasing a football game without all the NFL licensing stuff in the way. The fact they plan on releasing it roughly a month before the Madden release is great as it will put pressure on EA to put out a better product.

I'm mainly referring to the marketing deals and such, unless EA put an end to that themselves. No reason for MS to promote madden like they have if they have their own NFL game.

pizzacat

Banned
Yea you know what happened to the other football game that was better than madden? It sold like shit even though it was cheaper and got bought out by ea.

Also joe Montana? lmao there's no chance

Why would MS do an exclusive marketing deal with EA and then come out with this? That would be weird

Also, 2k involved? If thats true I'm jealous of x1 owners

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom