• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anthem is Being Sold for a Penny at GameStop

Gudji

Anthem always looked fun to me tbh

Why did people hate it?

Game was a mess overall. It had some good graphics, animations and the flying controls were good imo but the rest was kinda mediocre.

The IP itself could have been huge if it was well explored but they put very few resources into Anthem 2.0 and it was eventually shut down. Also 2.0 didn't seem to have the same scope of FF14 ARR... maybe it was better that way.

ClosBSAS

Jesus...incredible how this game failed and it could have been saved. I loved it. Great gameplay. Fucking EA

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Man, and I remember when people we making this out to be the second coming of gaming Jesus when it was shown at the Xbox showcase that E3. Saw right through the bullshot video.

every once in a blue moon i will login. Still love flying around and fighting enemies. Really wish they'd sell the IP and someone else would take a stab at it. It had potential. I like it more than Warframe, Division 2, Remnant or Outriders

Yerd

Buy low, sell... Not at all because nobody wants them.

Man's got good business sense.

Think About It Reaction GIF by Identity

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Never played it, but from the footage I’ve seen it didn’t look as bad as it’s made out to be.
For a penny? I’d do it.

paolo11

This is just my opinion but I really wished this was a single player offline game instead of competing with Destiny

So if you trade in a copy of Anthem at Gamestop, do they give you 5000 Pesos for it? Or do you just get 1/10th of a point in store credit?

Saber

Gold Member
Wouldn't play this even for free. This game is disgusting, even if it has a kinda of promissing Iron-man eske gameplay.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i actually enjoyed anthem. it wasn't great and there were things that were bad and could be done better but nothing major. EA just decided to abandon it real fucking fast because it wasn't an overnight success. i believe there was potential there but EA were too greedy/impatient to work on it.

Esca

I'd buy it. I subbed to the ea origin service for a few month to play this since it was so iffy.
I had fun with it and would have bought it if they hard really did a 2.0 to it.
Loading was horrible iirc as well

Chronicle

I thought this game looked really cool when they announced a demoed it. Too bad yhe game designers can't even think of ways to improve a game/ story/level/enemies/missions etc. Fu k just get on here and ask. Lots of ideas.

Man, and I remember when people we making this out to be the second coming of gaming Jesus when it was shown at the Xbox showcase that E3. Saw right through the bullshot video.
You must be thinking of something else, because the overwhelming consensus was people saying "meh" or being (rightfully) disappointed that Bioware was working on a looter shooter. People were skeptical as fuck about the game.
I was foolish enough to be interested because the exo suits looked cool, but dear lord, the game was just a technical clusterfuck of insane proportions. If I was an executive at EA, I would be beyond livid at how poorly managed the whole project was (probably would blacklist upper management at Bioware too... And maybe the people who were involved in writing the final story and characters of the game).

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
You must be thinking of something else, because the overwhelming consensus was people saying "meh" or being (rightfully) disappointed that Bioware was working on a looter shooter. People were skeptical as fuck about the game.
I was foolish enough to be interested because the exo suits looked cool, but dear lord, the game was just a technical clusterfuck of insane proportions. If I was an executive at EA, I would be beyond livid at how poorly managed the whole project was (probably would blacklist upper management at Bioware too... And maybe the people who were involved in writing the final story and characters of the game).
I am talking about the E3 thread where people were trying to flex on the gameplay reveal, only for us to find out way latter it was bullshot.

The game had a solid foundation to its combat and that is about it. It had some good animations but, at the end of the day, it was a mismanaged project. I'm glad for seeing the writing on the wall before the game was released. I played the beta, had fun, then dipped out.

Still, I'd be happy to see something like Anthem done right. Its movement mechanics it was something like what I expected of Warframe but a little more grounded and with weight to its animation. The javalins were sick-looking but progression and story were non-existent.

TheStam

Game was promising, but ultimately a massive letdown. Still it looked cool and flying around the map was amazing. Quest design, progression, story and so on sadly sucked, not to mention developer support hah...

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I say this not to be sarcastic but as a grown man with kids they would literally need to pay me about $20 an hour to make this worth my time as free wouldn't really justify it either. There are far better games to sync your time and other than some reasonable visuals.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
So has it been hacked to be playable offline?

//DEVIL//

Honestly its worth playing if you can play the single player without connecting to the server. it has these moments where you feel you really are powerful

Kamina

Golden Boy
…one user even bought 37 copies of the game and paid less than 50 cents for everything.

3cbb9e06bb8090c7d7011d600ded4943.jpg
What would anyone so with that amount of trash? Even though it cost just 37 cents it will still clutter.

I also wonder that they haven’t already turned off the servers.

Honestly its worth playing if you can play the single player without connecting to the server.
The game has an offline mode?

Last edited:

baphomet

I would buy 10,000 copies if I knew I could.

No clue what is do with them, but it'd be cool to get something other than 10,000 pennies for $100.

//DEVIL//

What would anyone so with that amount of trash? Even though it cost just 37 cents it will still clutter.

I also wonder that they haven’t already turned off the servers.

The game has an offline mode?
Don't know if it's an offline mode or not .but it has a story and you can finish the game hour self. Which is what I did. You also get to unlock super powerful weapons for your titan later on.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Don't know if it's an offline mode or not .but it has a story and you can finish the game hour self. Which is what I did. You also get to unlock super powerful weapons for your titan later on.
The problem is that this will be all impossible once they turn off the servers. Hence why the game is pretty much worthless right now, and the major reason why i shun GAAS / online only games.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Anyone else think part of the reason why Anthem stunk in sales is due to the name of the game? First thing I think about is watching the pre-game ceremony during after dinner baseball or hockey.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

While EA is one of the most well-renowned publishers in the industry having a ton of valuable IPs and developer talent under its belt, it has long been the subject of bad press thanks to the many questionable decisions it took in the past. Currently though, the publisher is certainly making moves in the right direction as it tries to right its many wrongs, but some of the wrongs that it has previously done have gone down as some of the most disappointing ones in recent memory. Perhaps chief among them is Anthem, a live-service game that was set to take the world by storm but ended up fizzling out without having much of an impact.

Anthem promised all the elements of what players would want from a live-service title - excellent combat, a fleshed-out world, an ever-evolving world, and meaningful co-op play just to name a few. But that was all in concept, and what we got was a game that failed to deliver on its many promises. That said, Anthem still showed some signs of greatness - but the refusal to put in the required work upon the IP lead to the game's sad death. To that end, here's the rise, fall, and death of Anthem.

Top Bottom