• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anthem is not worth reworking

NullZ3r0

Banned
The game's story is trash. It had no vision and it shows. Flying is a gimmick and makes the game world seem smaller. The Iron Man feeling was cool for a few months but after that I had my fill.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Written by a propagandist retard, but OP, this article probably has the insight you're looking for. Making room for sensationalism, and if I recall right, it paints a fascinating picture of bad developer practices, pride, and exec interference completely knocking the development off the rails.

SkylineRKR

I agree. I think this ship has sailed and judging by Inquisition and Andromeda BioWare has lost it.

Perhaps next-gen can reach target render levels but the overall structure of the game is weak. Its a tried and true loot game with very by the numbers quest design. The game is pedestrian at best. And a piece of trash at worst.

Back in the day I advised people to just download Warframe. I feel its better, and its free.

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I honestly forgot this game even existed. I guess "Anthem" sort of blended with "Apex" and my mind just erased it altogether.

Didnt play enough of it the first time around to have an informed take. Unfortunately this time around i gave it enough playtime to form a real opinion. What a bad game it is though. Simply put.

I thought the story mode was pretty sick and the game had nice graphics but the sound design was horrible. The waterfalls don't even make any noise lmfao! The only ambient noise that you hear is the gooses honking as they fly by! Other than a few cool concepts the game was horrible.

lefty1117

Gold Member
I actually thought the movement and combat was pretty good, even very good in this game. My problem was the setting and the lore, I just found it to be very uninteresting. I didn't care about what was happening ... the guy that was split into three people based on personality was fairly interesting but that was about it. Everything else was dead boring. The hub was boring and the whole setting was boring. But a Mass Effect game set 50 years after Andromeda with these suits to get around? Yeah that would be cool. I'd dig exploring new worlds in an Andromeda sequel, in these types of suits. Would be way more fun than the car!

Dane

I've seen games like No Man Sky, Sea of Thieves and Desitny 1 and 2 to have a comeback, some take just few months, others took two years, but they did it with constant updates. Seems that Anthem was not even updated in a year or so, either the clusterfuck still continues or they decided to release everything in a big update.

Not sure I understand your point. You’re pointing out all the things currently wrong with it; is that not exactly why a rework is being done? To fix the issues?

Not sure I understand your point. You’re pointing out all the things currently wrong with it; is that not exactly why a rework is being done? To fix the issues?
The question is if it is worth fixing. Because if you need to restart from the ground up, you might as well make a new game/new IP. Anthem is not some massive decade old franchise, there is no legacy to rescue like with Final Fantasy 14.

The question is if it is worth fixing. Because if you need to restart from the ground up, you might as well make a new game/new IP. Anthem is not some massive decade old franchise, there is no legacy to rescue like with Final Fantasy 14.
Sure. I think the point is more that the assets are there. There’s plenty of things wrong with Anthem but the flying and general combat were at worst solid. I don’t know how feasible it is (probably not) but even just getting out of Frostbite seems like it would solve a lot of their problems (to be clear, I’m not saying Frostbite is bad, but it seems like from stuff I’ve read previously it was absolutely a terrible and somewhat rigid choice of engine for this type of game).

Iorv3th

The game's story is trash. It had no vision and it shows. Flying is a gimmick and makes the game world seem smaller. The Iron Man feeling was cool for a few months but after that I had my fill.

I am curious how you even played it for a few months? I could barely play it for more than a day. Did finish the shitty story and after that just dropped it.

recursive

Sometimes games just don’t come together as they originally hoped

I mean I don’t think they set out to build and release a bad game and the devs obviously cared and tried to do what they could

But when the corporate world of set schedules and meeting release date windows is what you use to guide the project. Then i can see it not always ending well. I assume Ea didn’t want to pony up more money to address issues and with modern games as a service. Perhaps they thought they could release and update their way out of it

Hopefully this is yet another lesson of why that is not normally the smart move to make to gain players and attract more investment (first impressions counting and all that)
Pretty sure this one is a case of Bioware grossly mismanaging the project. From what I recall EA was not the bad guy here.

I actually really wanted to play it when it was first shown. the overall idea of the gameplay seems pretty awesome. Ironman around, shoot stuff, get better loot etc. but since it's EA, I figure there will be terrible microtransactions and other issues, so I didn't get in at launch and waited. and lo and behold the game is a mess. it's really a shame but I would really rather it worked out and be great despite being an EA game.

as for the rework, if they had acted faster, than maybe. but right now, I feel after all the people had left both on player side and dev side, there really isn't much point in patching this ship up now that it's already underwater.

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
joaquin phoenix thumbs down GIF

Dthomp

I really, really hope they don't shelve the project.

Same, I actually enjoyed quite a bit about Anthem, and with Bungie refusing to ditch the season pass model of their game I really need a different GaaS looter/shooter to get it right and Anthem had alot of elements that were good.

MiguelItUp

For their sake I hope if it happens they're able to get it in a better position. I'd feel awful if it happened and failed again anyway.

Dabaus

Banned
Remember when the former xbox chief of marketing Mike Ybarra (i believe) had melt downs over Anthem reviews? Its almost like if Bioware couldnt get a GAAS Sci fi Iron man to work nobody could but thats the direction MS has decided to take the entire division. I understand his frustration if i was partly responsible for that.

Last edited:

playXray

Some games just take time to click. You can keep playing, even when it seems a chore or boring, and then one day it all starts to make sense and you find yourself really enjoying it.

Anthem isn’t that kind of game.

Crazy to think that EA has given them a year and a half before making the final decision on going forward or not. That has me thinking that EA's up front investment on this game must have been absolutely massive.

The fact that we haven't heard anything at all in terms of leaks is also interesting. I don't know what it means, but I'm sure we'll find out eventually

Mikey Jr.

Hmmm, they are between a rock and a hard place.

Do you complete trash the Anthem IP and start fresh with a new IP?

Do you try for an Anthem 2, even though the first one was a complete disaster?

Do you try and salvage Anthem 1, and try to get it in a good spot so the whole brand isn't tarnished?

Last edited:

LordCBH

EA should do the smart thing and just kill it off. It’s not worth the money salvaging. The good will for this game is already burned and won’t come back.

TheMan

I'm holding out hope that it happens. At the very least, put the work towards a sequel and don't just throw it all away. The right team could make this special.

Inviusx

I might actually be tempted to check it out if they do a complete overhaul and patch it for next gen. I hope they don't kill it.

It could simply go free to play. Personally I thought it was one of the biggest disappointments last generation.

The story, whatever it was, was hollow, it lacked that world building feel of a Mass Effect, the quest design was atrocious with a copy & paste model right at the forefront, characters lacked charm and even the soundtrack lacked impact.

Visually I thought it was great and the flight mechanics and shooting were on point, the rest left it feeling such a monotonous experience. It’s a shame as the potential is there and admittedly Bioware has a big place in my love of gaming, Mass Effect in particular, I want them to do well.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I enjoyed it more then the last division but that’s not saying much. None of these games can hold a candle to destiny even in it’s worst shape. Anthem came the closet to me, the flying and fighting were fun but the loot and enemies kinda sucked.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Im rooting for it, there was something inherently fun about flying around the map in your custom iron man suit blowing shit up in a party. The combat I thought was fun at its core, the weapons were generally pretty cool. There was just nothing else to do and they really failed to stick the landing on anything that wasnt flying around shooting and looking cool.

It did scratch some kind of itch though if they could figure out how to fix all the shortcomings and give it solid end game activities.

Last edited:

Woo-Fu

Banned
After getting it so wrong the first time what evidence is there that BioWere will get it right this time?

I did enjoy most of my time with the game, in spite of everything that was missing/not working.

Barrage

I started Anthem around the same time I started playing Destiny 2, and was open to which one I was going to get into. Anthem was really pretty, and flying is initially fun, but the bottom line is that the game was fucking boring, and I never found a single enemy that was interesting or fun to fight against. It just feels totally...reactive in design and concept.

McCheese

Imagine they give it the go ahead and wind up charging 60 🤣

The smart money would be on anthem next being a free-to-play title, with a focus on competitive team based multiplayer and cosmetics.

Owners of the original game will unlock the story mode that remains relatively unchanged and get a "I purchased anthem day one and all I got was this shitty camo" decal.

But the even smarter money is that papa EA takes them out behind the shed to show them Westwood studios.

JayK47

By time I picked it up on a deep sale, it was a highly polished turd. It has no soul. I can't even remember any of the characters or enemies. I do remember it being insanely generic and bland. The kind of game an AI would make. Like something the Star Trek Next Generation computer would create for a holodeck program. It is such a boring world, I hope they do not make a sequel. There is really nothing to build on. But I fear Bioware is unable to make a game that is any better than Anthem. They are unable to admit they have a problem and that they are creatively bankrupt.

Top Bottom