• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: Bungie Is Likely Developing ‘Destiny 3,’ Codename ‘Payback’

Draugoth

Gold Member
960x0.jpg

Report via Forbes

As Destiny Bulletin first reported, back in February, an account posted something far-fetched on the Destiny2leaks subreddit. They revealed something called Prism, which ended up being the Prismatic subclass. The comment, which is still up today: “Anyone here know if prism has been leaked yet? Since there's been no answer yet I guess I'll leak it: Bungie is working on a system called prism that will allow players to mix and match abilities from different subclasses. This is one of the things being worked on during the delay. Imagine throwing a lightning grenade while on solar, or procing devour and rampaging with Stormcaller.”

So, the idea here is that Prismatic is a set-up for how Destiny 3 might evolve the game in a major way by eliminating subclasses altogether and letting players mix and match powers to a greater extent. Though I do wonder if Prismatic was built because of the delay, that they’d already base the entire next game around it. The poster also doesn’t seem 100% sure Destiny 3 is still in development, but I have to imagine that it is. Another open question would be the timing here. Would this be something that just appears one fall during what would normally be an expansion window after a bunch of yearly episodes, or would Destiny 2 need to stop producing content for a while so the vast majority of the studio could work on this? (And lets not forget Marathon). There’s no info on that here, though stopping content production means stopping revenue, something I’m not sure new owners Sony wants to happen. Though I think the entire Destiny community agrees that yes, at some point, a true Destiny 3 will need to arrive at some point if the series is going to survive. My prediction has always been it wouldn’t arrive until the next console generation, and with this news, I’m still sticking with that from a timing perspective.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Payback to Playstation and get independence back.

Hell yeah!!!

Bungie dudes are driven if nothing else.

Payback for what? They sold the company under the proviso that they'd be able to do their thing without interference and oversight provide the money kept flowing.

They only started to sweat when delays and bad decisions started to dry up their income - its basically a problem of their own creation.

StereoVsn

It’s Payback because they expect their customer to keep paying back the loan for all the MTX that are going to be “included” 😉

They need to find a way for Destiny 3 to:

1) not be intimidating to newcomers, regardless of season/dlc

2) not shelve old content, weapons, or armor.

I should be able to go in a hub and understand where to go for various content drops, see status completion, and have each content release feature significant rewards that can boost equipment that is additive to boosts from other releases

Destiny 2 just became too bloated and intimidating and the story is convoluted

Payback to Playstation and get independence back.

Hell yeah!!!

Bungie dudes are driven if nothing else.
Payback for what? Their own bad decisions? Lmao

It's not like this was a takeover from Sony's part. They wanted to be acquired and Destiny 2 is losing steam because of Bungie's own incompetence.

Nothing to do with Sony. If anything, if everything goes south, they can be thankful they aren't alone when the boat starts sinking and have a company like Sony to help them.

Sybrix

Did Destiny 2 get better over time?

Last time i played it was about 8 years ago, i know it still has a following but at the launch it wasnt very good.

Bungie are a great company but another Destiny is a bit meh.....

Bond007

Last time i played it was about 8 years ago, i know it still has a following but at the launch it wasnt very good.

I think it did and was peak Destiny. Then it fell- atleast in my opinion.

As for Destiny 3, Id say FINALLY.
Lets learn from the previous games and move forward. D2 has lasted way too long if you ask me. I will also say i see this as a PS6 game.

Last edited:

Shut0wen

I should be able to go in a hub and understand where to go for various content drops, see status completion, and have each content release feature significant rewards that can boost equipment that is additive to boosts from other releases

I dont get why they cant just do expansion like every other mmo instead of the shitty expansions thqt they already have where like you say are not on sale anymore and have weapons and armour gone forever

Ribi

They gnna finally payback all the mindless drones who keep this game afloat because it has good gunplay and everything else is shit?

Hopefully they're paying back all the money we wasted on the last 2 games. I'm still bitter about that Destiny 2 content removal. Pretty much the entire base game is just... gone. Criminal stuff, IMO.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Destiny 3 and Marathon will be massive games and the people who called Bungie washed will walk around unpunished like the Nazis who fled to Argentina in 1945.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member

It really did, Destiny 2 got better but then the quality dropped off a cliff with lightfall. It’s utterly terrible. They started to monetize too much too.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Destiny 3 and Marathon will be massive games and the people who called Bungie washed will walk around unpunished like the Nazis who fled to Argentina in 1944.
I’m not sold on marathon at all. It sounds kind if cruddy to me.

I need to find so cheap codes for the game on pc. I just need witch queen I think… I am loathe to buy lightfall again but night need to.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I was originally codenamed "Paycheque" but Sony demanded they change the codename to something more accurate after the failure of GaaS and the fact Bungie continue to deliver nothing.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I’ll be surprised if that’s the case.

The reason they didn’t make a Destiny 3 and kept expanding on Destiny 2 is because they didn’t want to kill the player base and segment it.

If I recall they went on record that D3 content is in D2.

Which worries me. This last expansion was supposed to end the story for these two games and put a nice now on it. If that isn’t the case I imagine the ending will not be satisfying and then we will be drip fed seasons for years that are mediocre until Destiny 3.

D3 at this point is likely a 2029 or 2030 release title? That’s a LOT of drip feed content.

I would really hope they just make a new IP.

yurinka

Bungie clearly hinted Destiny 3 yesterday, previously already said that Destiny won't going to end with The Final Shape, we know they are working on movie/tv adaptations and Destiny was the only valuable IP Bungie had when Sony did pay a lot of money for them. Sony obviously will want more Destiny games. Bungie also doubled their manpower since they were acquired.

So yes, no need to be an insider they will release Destiny 3 and pretty likely already have been working on it for a while since they have enough manpower to be working in like 5-6 AAA games at full production, being Destiny 2 and Marathon only two of them.

I was originally codenamed "Paycheque" but Sony demanded they change the codename to something more accurate after the failure of GaaS and the fact Bungie continue to deliver nothing.
I thought MLB, GT7, Destiny 2 and Helldivers 2 were very successful.

Last edited:

ultrazilla

Gold Member
Hopefully it's true since this is the only way I'll consider returning to Destiny.

100% feel the same way. They need a clean break from Destiny 2. I have too many negative memories and let downs from the history of
D2. That initial "love" phase I had with D1 and D2 ended up fading away after years of broken patches, nerfs, recycled content and vaulted
content we ended up getting resold.

I want all new enemies, new locations, just new everything. A clean start. I want a reason to play Destiny 3 and become invested in the universe again.
Hell, I'd probably welcome a hard reboot of the I.P.

Last edited:

Dynasty8

Yes, MUCH better, it's legitimately one of the funnest games I've ever played in 40 years. The problem, however, is that it can be pretty confusing and not interesting for new players. By the time they get to the "good stuff", they probably quit due to being overwhelmed or uninterested. This is totally on Bungie and something they need to improve. A Destiny 3 can solve this.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Yes, MUCH better, it's legitimately one of the funnest games I've ever played in 40 years. The problem, however, is that it can be pretty confusing and not interesting for new players. By the time they get to the "good stuff", they probably quit due to being overwhelmed or uninterested. This is totally on Bungie and something they need to improve. A Destiny 3 can solve this.
It wasn’t thought of from the start to build a game that is always easy to onboard new players.

WoW retail suffers from this as well.

When a large game like Destiny or WoW is initially made it’s fantastic to new players because of the current scope and how the game connects things bit by bit.

Once you get to expansion 3 you’re in trouble.

I’ll be curious if D3 is real how they plan to overcome this from the jump and keep it that way.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I thought MLB, GT7, Destiny 2 and Helldivers 2 were very successful.

Sony massively scaled back their GaaS plans last year because it's projected to not make nearly as much for them. I would point out that Destiny's nose diving revenue is one of the reasons Bungie has had to make some major changes recently too, hence the joke.

Last edited:

Salty Pickle

Neo Member
God please no.gif

Don’t ruin it like they did with BF by ruining the classes and what makes them unique. They make you make choices and sacrifices so you can’t have everything and that is a good thing!

D2 peaked with Forsaken btw, imo.

Raven117

I was a day 1 Destiny vanilla player....and man....I just don't know if Im in for D3. If Bungie still has the talent and completely overhauls the whole experience, perhaps....

But Im done with that hamster wheel.

LordOfChaos

Yeah...I have very slim hope that The Final Shape won't be just like most other DLCs, the big galactic scale baddie built up for years just turns out to be another dude when he's here and there's yet another more powerful foe behind it.

That's the problem with these service style games, lack of good resolution. I do hope they end the 10 year Darkness saga in a good way, but record shows they just milk players dry. And I just want to play through all the content as a single player without being limited in trying to find a party to get through certain content.

Last edited:

yurinka

Sony massively scaled back their GaaS plans last year because it's projected to not make nearly as much for them. I would point out that Destiny's nose diving revenue is one of the reasons Bungie has had to make some major changes recently too, hence the joke.
Nah, they just replaced the less promising PS Studios ones (+ND wanting to focus instead on their multiple SP games under development) with the Bungie ones. They still have 12+ GaaS IPs under development (now without the March 2026 deadline), with 5 of them already released and 4 of them being very successful.

Destiny continues in the top rankings. Top PSN 2023 F2P games:
image.png

Steam most played games right now:
image.png

And no, Totoki said the 100+ people laid off in Bungie was already decided by Bungie back when they did the acquisition. After the layoff Bungie continued growing, their manpower is twice as big as they were when acquired.

Don't believe any random crap you see in internet. Destiny 2 continues performing more than well for being a 7 years old game.

Last edited:

Dynasty8

Totally agree man. It's terrible especially for new players or returning players who don't know exactly what to do.

That being said, It would be a complete waste to shelve everything they've worked so hard on for the last 7 years. The new subclasses, the subclass reworks, the unique weapons and armor, the amazing raids and dungeons need to stay - but NO campaign stuff though, they need to reset the story and let Destiny 2 just be "lore"/past events at this point. D3 should have its own epic campaign similar to Witch Queen with optional Legend difficulty to welcome new and old players to the "new" story/conflict of Destiny...and it should NEVER be vaulted. This campaign will be the introduction/tutorial, not some underwhelming Cosmodrome stuff. This can be an Overwatch to Overwatch 2 scenario, but it needs to be done right.

The director UI also needs to be cleaned up and be less bloated. For example, I don't want to look for the Warlord's Ruin dungeon by going to one of the 10 destinations on the map and looking for it...I know it's in the EDZ, but let me just select a node called Legend and it'll take me to 2 options: Raids or Dungeons. I can then select which one through a drop down (similar to GM Nightfalls). They also need to remove ALL of the "news" or "update" pop ups that appear on the director...replace it with a notification tab.

So much potential here.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
But "This" would generate 1/15th the revenue that a pure Live Service title would.

We haven't seen much of it. All we know is that it's an interesting, unexplored genre made by one of the premier multiplayer/Live Service developers around. I'd bet on it becoming bigger than Destiny 2.
Im not a sony shareholder so couldn't give two fucks about what generates more money or not... Halo was good Destiny is gAAASSSS... more games like halo less like Destiny... fuck it

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Im not a sony shareholder so couldn't give two fucks about what generates more money or not... Halo was good Destiny is gAAASSSS... more games like halo less like Destiny... fuck it
I guess Bungie has to do what's in their best interests. Gamers asking them to drive the plane into the mountain shall be ignored...**** it.

tylrdiablos

They use the word "Report" like there's something official being... you know... reported. Then it's quickly followed by the "likely", meaning it's another click-bait waste of time.

What a load of shit. Of course Bungie are working on a new game and probably sticking to a genre they're familiar with.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I saw a video on the next expansion...apparently guardians are some form of armored fairies now.

Very luminescent aesthetic...lots of purple pink and silver

I couldn't believe how unfriendly D2 was to new comers. They can't repeat that same mistake again.

Kings Field

I was going to get back into Destiny 2 with the new expansion coming but after seeing the pronouns on screen yesterday during the trailer I’m skipping.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I couldn't believe how unfriendly D2 was to new comers. They can't repeat that same mistake again.
Yup. I tried it when it hit game pass and had no fucking idea what to do. It made me do the first mission from the first game too. I was dropped to a map and was lost.

I just don’t know what the hell has happened to this team. And it has nothing to do with Sony. They were heading downhill way before Sony threw them a life preserver. It’s a shame too.

Guerilla Games just needs to go back to Killzone. I miss the Killzone/Halo wars. Us gamers won with great games from both series.

Top Bottom