• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any other Nintendo-fan here predominantly a fan of Nintendo's more mature franchises rather than the rest?

It's a life-long frustration of mine and it's gotten worse when Nintendo bought Monolith Soft:

I *love* the more mature games of Nintendo's and I hate how sparse they are, drowned in a sea of Splatoons, Animal Crossings, ARMS, Pikmins, Pokemons, Yoshis, and so on.

My favorite Nintendo-games include:

- BotW
- OoT
- Metroid Prime
- Star Fox Adventures
- Eternal Darkness
- Xenoblade-franchise
- Baten Kaitos-franchise
- Fire Emblem-franchise
- Another Code ( :/ )

I like me some 3d-Mario, Kid Icarus, Mario Kart and Smash, too. But the above games are why I'm a fan of Nintendo's. Unfortunately I didn't play Geist back then, would have probably liked it, too.

It's frustrating when I see other Nintendo-fans post a release-list of what they expect to release in 2020, and it's full of cartoony franchises that typically don't feature interesting worlds to immerse myself in :/ Atm my 2020 is Xenoblade DE (old game) and BotW2 (not confirmed for 2020). So, yeah.

Any other Nintendo-fans like me out there?

If I had a say, Nintendo's lineup for the next years would look like this:

- Eternal Darkness 2
- Xenoblade 3
- Xenoblade X2
- Xenosaga Trilogy Remaster
- StarFox (action-adventure)
- F-Zero SX
- Startropics Reboot (like BotW with different focus)
- Mother-franchise remakes in 3D
- Metroid 5 (taking places after Fusion)
- a Pokemon-series targeted at adult fans parallel to the children-focused series. Based on original manga (Pokemon dying and stuff)
- have RetroStudios make 'Raven Blade' (yes, it's just a name at this point. Still, it'd be Nintendo's own wrpg)
- Fatal Frame 6
- a sports collection that includes 1080 Snowboarding, Wave Race and Pilotwings in one massive extreme sports-game akin to Ubisoft's recent snowboard game)
- Fire Emblem 3rd Tellius-game
- Fire Emblem: PoR and RD Remastered
- and so on.

So much potential. :(

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Yeah...it's not a matter of being mature or not. They are intend to make great games overall. Doesn't really matter if it's cartoonish or not and I'm pretty sure Nintendo wouldn't go and say "hey, we made this but it's not for you".

As for me I'm expecting something Like Star Fox. As a fan myself of the series, this series has gone completelly downhill.

Herr Edgy

I just like good games. I don’t care what their tone is.

So, yeah, I’m a fan of something like the aesthetic in Metroid Prime, but I’m also absolutely loving what they’re doing with the new Animal Crossing.
That's kind of circular logic. 'Good' games is subjective so you could argue that 'childish' games can't be good (which is wrong but you get the idea).

Personally I don't like the small-ish and simple games that Nintendo creates. I'm all over their more complex entries but there's not a lot of them nowadays. Mostly due to being balanced towards casuals, even entries I'd theoretically enjoy end up being straight up boring to me. But that's a lot of games today, not just Nintendo games.

-Arcadia-

Banned
That's kind of circular logic. 'Good' games is subjective so you could argue that 'childish' games can't be good (which is wrong but you get the idea).

Personally I don't like the small-ish and simple games that Nintendo creates. I'm all over their more complex entries but there's not a lot of them nowadays. Mostly due to being balanced towards casuals, even entries I'd theoretically enjoy end up being straight up boring to me. But that's a lot of games today, not just Nintendo games.

Is it? I just... like good games. I don’t care if it’s a realistic game with real actors like Death Stranding, or something as cute as the new Link’s Awakening.

What matters to me is that both games execute on their tone perfectly.

brian0057

Banned
I like good games, regardless if it some of them come of as "kiddie" or whatever the hell people mean by that.
I can enjoy a fantastic and charming game like Kirby's Epic Yarn just as much as a cerebral masterpiece like Deus Ex or Thief.

Saber

Gold Member

Oh if you talk about level of complexety and difficulty I totally agree with yah.

Just fyi: I'm not using the word 'mature' in an edgy way, I'm 34, not a 15 yo who needs to prove his e-cred to his gangsta bros.

And the 'i like good games' answer is redundant. Are there people who like bad games? And I mentioned that I play many of Nintendo's cartoony games, too, i.e. LA Remake. But when it's mostly cartoony stuff, it feels bad. If you like 'good movies', you still wouldn't want to watch only great romcoms, right?

Btw ofc I forgot to include Fire Emblem and Astral Chain in my list of great mature franchises. Mea culpa.

Jooxed

Gold Member
Splatoon 2 is a fantastic game and I couldn't have been more wrong going into it thinking it was a kiddy game, there is some real depth to the ranked matches. It's a shame you feel this way OP I'm assuming its mainly because of the graphics? If that's the way you are thinking you are really limiting yourself and missing out on some good games.

Nightrunner

It's a life-long frustration of mine and it's gotten worse when Nintendo bought Monolith Soft:

I *love* the more mature games of Nintendo's and I hate sparse they are, drowned in sea of Splatoons, Animal Crossings, ARMS, Pikmins, Pokemons, Yoshis, and so on.

My favorite Nintendo-games include:

- BotW
- OoT
- Metroid Prime
- Star Fox Adventures
- Eternal Darkness
- Xenoblade-franchise
- Baten Kaitos-franchise
- Another Code ( :/ )

I like me some 3d-Mario, Kid Icarus, Mario Kart and Smash, too. But the above games are why I'm a fan of Nintendo's. Unfortunately I didn't play Geist back then, would have probably liked it, too.

It's frustrating when I see other Nintendo-fans post a release-list of what they expect to release in 2020, and it's full of cartoony franchises that typically don't feature interesting worlds to immerse myself in :/ Atm my 2020 is Xenoblade DE (old game) and BotW2 (not confirmed for 2020). So, yeah.

Any other Nintendo-fans like me out there?

If I had a say, Nintendo's lineup for the next years would look like this:

- Eternal Darkness 2
- Xenoblade 3
- Xenoblade X2
- Xenosaga Trilogy Remaster
- StarFox (action-adventure)
- F-Zero SX
- Startropics Reboot (like BotW with different focus)
- Mother-franchise remakes in 3D
- Metroid 5 (taking places after Fusion)
- a Pokemon-series targeted at adult fans parallel to the children-focused series. Based on original manga (Pokemon dying and stuff)
- have RetroStudios make 'Raven Blade' (yes, it's just a name at this point. Still, it'd be Nintendo's own wrpg)
- Fatal Frame 6
- a sports collection that includes 1080 Snowboarding, Wave Race and Pilotwings in one massive extreme sports-game akin to Ubisoft's recent snowboard game)
- and so on.

So much potential. :(
I like how you think. StarTropics done in the style of BotW would be amazing.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Everyone has different tastes. You don't have to love all of Nintendo's stuff. Myself, I think almost all the Final Fantasy games are mediocre, they just don't click with me. But obviously someone likes them.

It would be nice if Nintendo made more "mature" games. I think they are at their best when they try to make a game that can be played by anyone but only mastered by a few.

dispensergoinup

Gold Member
I bought my Switch basically only for BoTW and like Octopath (which I havent even started yet).

Grabbed some games on sale like Bloodstained and SEGA Classics but yeah I don't really buy Mario games or super cartoony anymore.

I will grab BOTW2 and whenever a Metroid comes out but I really want a Castlevania game especially with seeing Simon on Smash.

Splatoon 2 is a fantastic game and I couldn't have been more wrong going into it thinking it was a kiddy game, there is some real depth to the ranked matches. It's a shame you feel this way OP I'm assuming its mainly because of the graphics? If that's the way you are thinking you are really limiting yourself and missing out on some good games.

I'm not limiting myself, though. Pls read what I wrote. I'm playing lots of the cartoony games, too. But my heart lies with the games I listed. And it's frustrating, because imo Nintends mature games are better than most mature games from other publishers. I simply want more than 1-2 such games per year :(

Saber

Gold Member
Just fyi: I'm not using the word 'mature' in an edgy way, I'm 34, not a 15 yo who needs to prove his e-cred to his gangsta bros.

And the 'i like good games' answer is redundant. Are there people who like bad games? And I mentioned that I play many of Nintendo's cartoony games, too, i.e. LA Remake. But when it's mostly cartoony stuff, it feels bad. If you like 'good movies', you still wouldn't want to watch only great romcoms, right?

Btw ofc I forgot to include Fire Emblem and Astral Chain in my list of great mature franchises. Mea culpa.

In my defense I didn't talk great games out of nothing. I mean like they have a much to offer overall. Story, gameplay, content, replay value, etc. I can't complain about this if they offer something to keep me playing and replaying.

I get your point though, you're talking about variety which I can understand. More wouldn't hurt.

Ulysses 31

I just like good games. I don’t care what their tone is.

So, yeah, I’m a fan of something like the aesthetic in Metroid Prime, but I’m also absolutely loving what they’re doing with the new Animal Crossing.
I assume that doesn't include the mobile animal crossing... :p :p :p

You want to talk about frustrating? Imagine liking all of the Golden Sun games but not getting a sequel to Dark Dawn because other Golden Sun fans didn't like the graphics or story. I want Golden Sun 4.

I agree with you on wanting to see Metroid 5. I always liked Metroid Fusion despite the complaints that it was too linear.

Last edited:
Wouldn't mind an Eternal Darkness 2, but the IP rights probably belong with the dev and I think they don't exist anymore so the rights probably belong with someone else.

Still waiting on a 3D version of the Mother series; that 64DD game was looking pretty dang good, wish it had come out.

Herr Edgy

Is it? I just... like good games. I don’t care if it’s a realistic game with real actors like Death Stranding, or something as cute as the new Link’s Awakening.

What matters to me is that both games execute on their tone perfectly.
Don't worry, I get the idea. I'm just saying saying you enjoy 'good games' is kind of redundant. Who doesn't? I could say the same, but we'll end up with different 'good games'. I agree with you, but I don't really find most modern Nintendo games 'good' because even if executed well, I don't get enjoyment out of them because to me the entirety feels very superficial, as if no one cared putting their creative minds to use. There can be cute-sy games that I enjoy, but most of Nintendo's I don't anymore.

It's like putting in elemental resistances in your game and then having elemental attacks be way less effective than straight up physical damage in most if not all situations. Good intentions, but invalidated by their own design.

Nintendo's over-reliance on the same "family friendly" franchises is among the reasons why I have become more and more distanced over the years. There's absolutely zero risk in this company. I've said it before: Nintendo's old leadership knew the importance of bringing the mature content to their platforms during the late 90s. Can people imagine Nintendo getting another Nintendo-exclusive explicit, violent fighting game today for example?

I love all of Nintendos franchises but specifically veer towards their more adult offerings, ala zelda 2. Shit, the original metroid is homage to the movie alien.

The first game nintendo has made in a long time that gave me that 80s nintendo "I'm clearly not making this for children" type of feel was botw.
Now, about two years after, I think maybe I gave Nintendo too much credit at the time. I thought it was gonna be a renaissance of their more adult style but I was wrong.

JimiNutz

Banned
Nintendo is probably going to prioritise development of games that have the best chance of selling well.

How well to F-Zero games sell?
How about Metroid?
Startropics?

The bottom line is that those franchises aren't as successful as Mario, Pokemon, Splatoon etc.
As a result you now have to settle for one or two 'mature' games per gen. Metroid Prime 4 better be good lol

Mista

Banned
The thing is only Nintendo make me forget about “mature games” and “family friendly games” because they always give me quality at the end of the day. Yes technically they aren’t up there with PC and other consoles, but the amount of fun they deliver with their games makes everyone forget about that.

Jooxed

Gold Member
The thing is only Nintendo make me forget about “mature games” and “family friendly games” because they always give me quality at the end of the day. Yes technically they aren’t up there with PC and other consoles, but the amount of fun they deliver with their games makes everyone forget about that.

this pretty much

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
For me, it's the Metroid series WAY at the top, with everything else way below...but I still love mostly all of their franchises. It's just that Metroid is my favorite series of all time...so much so that at one point I had wanted to create an entire Varia suit to cosplay in for DragonCon one year. :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

DKI9GQgX0AAkhl2

That's what I love the most about Nintendo...they have a good variety of atmospheres across all their games. The Switch, especially with all the amazing third party and indie support, has come to be my favorite Nintendo console of all time. :messenger_heart:

Last edited:

Chastten

Banned
What you want is games that take years in development while not selling all that much compared to Nintendo's other stuff.

I mean, I like more Xenoblade games as much as the next nerd, but all Xeno games combined haven't made as much money as Mario Kart 8 Deluxe did on its own.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Nintendo's over-reliance on the same "family friendly" franchises is among the reasons why I have become more and more distanced over the years. There's absolutely zero risk in this company. I've said it before: Nintendo's old leadership knew the importance of bringing the mature content to their platforms during the late 90s. Can people imagine Nintendo getting another Nintendo-exclusive explicit, violent fighting game today for example?
Eh. I'd argue those are the real kids games. From my experience, Mario is for adults even more than those.

It's kids that want to play the "mature" games, more than anything. I have no data to back that up, it's just an impression I have from going through life. Sometimes things aren't what they seem.

ROMhack

Hmm I probably go the other way as I'm not a fan of any of those listed aside from Zelda and Mother.

Switch's best 'mature' games are the indie games for me. Hellblade, Gris, What Remains of Edith Finch, Firewatch, etc.

Last edited:
Eh. I'd argue those are the real kids games. From my experience, Mario is for adults even more than those.

It's kids that want to play the "mature" games, more than anything. I have no data to back that up, it's just an impression I have from going through life. Sometimes things aren't what they seem.

That is because of controversy I guess. When you're young it's cool to do (or in this case own) something "forbidden". Maybe a bad example. How about games like Turok: Dinosaur Hunter or GoldenEye 007? These were Nintendo-exclusives at the time. Even a franchise like Wave Race could fall into the category of being more mature.

That's what I love the most about Nintendo...they have a good variety of atmospheres across all their games.

Again, I'm not saying Nintendo doesn't have variety. I'm pointing that for 10 cartoony games we get one mature game. That's frustrating, because Nintendo's mature games are fantastic.

Sigh. As I said, this is not about edgy gore-games like Doom or Mortal Kombat. I think anyone looking at my list understands what I mean with cartoony and mature. If I said kiddy, childish, etc someone would complain to. If you have a more fitting adjective to describe my listed games, go ahead.

And I doubt that children prefer Xenoblade and Fire Emblem over Mario Kart and Splatoon.

ChuyMasta

Older fan here. I skipped on pokemon but I went with ring fit adventure. Yes, the game is kiddy, but I am getting exercise out of it, so it made it into my adult gaming tastes.

Liking Witcher III so far. It definitely looks bad. I'm not going to sugar code it, but hey I lived through the Wii era on an HDTV.

I play Smash, Mario and Zelda. As for future releases, I'm looking forward to Metroid prime IV and trilogy (if that's still a thing). Bayoneta doesnt quite appeal to me, though I did enjoy Astral Chain.

Third party wise. FFCC and Doom eternal.

I do have a kid and we share accounts, so my Switch collection looks bizarre. RE4 right next to Minecraft or Skyrim in the recently played list with Diablo III and...Book coloring adventures smacked in the middle

That’s Nintendo for better or worse. They appeal to people from 3 to 83.

Not to sound cunty but there’s plenty of mature content on PS4, XB1 and PC if that’s what you’re into. This is why I could never be a Nintendo exclusive gamer nowadays as much as I love their stuff.

Modern Nintendo basically make new entries of 10 franchises - 2D Mario, 3D Mario, Mario Kart, Kirby, Smash, Zelda, Animal Crossing, Splatoon, Yoshi and Xenoblade. Then they work with outside companies on a mix of spin offs, Remasters and exclusives like Astral Chain, SMT, Mario Rabbids and Bayonetta 3 to fill out the genres they don’t cover internally.

It’s a real shame but I don’t see any new entries of Star Fox, F-Zero, Pilotwings, Eternal Darkness or Mother coming anytime soon.

Last edited:
Not to sound cunty but there’s plenty of mature content on PS4, XB1 and PC if that’s what you’re into.

Like I said, imo (means: 'in my opinion') Nintendo's mature content is better than what other publishers produce. There's good stuff, too, ofc. But no jrpg comes even close to the Xeno-games. No horror-title has the same perfect mix of atmosphere, direct gameplay and astounding writing as Eternal Darkness. No open world-game comes close to BotW. And so on. It's probably because no matter the type of game, Nintendo always treats it with the same quality. See Ring Fit Adventure, which is a fitness game for crying out loud, yet also oozes 'nintendo'.

*When* Nintendo creates mature games, it's masterful. And I'm frustated that we have to wait for years in-between those allthewhile cartoony games release en masse. :(

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I like the SMT/Atlus games on Nintendo systems yes.

DESTROYA

No Bayonetta love?
Yes I know 1 was on other consoles

I have fun with both M and E Nintendo games, yes I gravitate more toward the M games but having a blast playing Luigi’s Mansion.

Like I said, imo (means: 'in my opinion') Nintendo's mature content is better than what other publishers produce. There's good stuff, too, ofc. But no jrpg comes even close to the Xeno-games. No horror-title has the same perfect mix of atmosphere, direct gameplay and astounding writing as Eternal Darkness. No open world-game comes close to BotW. And so on. It's probably because no matter the type of game, Nintendo always treats it with the same quality. See Ring Fit Adventure, which is a fitness game for crying out loud, yet also oozes 'nintendo'.

*When* Nintendo creates mature games, it's masterful. And I'm frustated that we have to wait for years in-between those allthewhile cartoony games release en masse. :(

Yet BotW is one of the most ‘cartoony’ looking games Nintendo have ever made with a lacklustre at best story. Xenoblade 2 is also extremely ‘cartoony’ from an art direction standpoint.

Nintendo make (and have always made) games aimed at everyone especially since they struck gold with the Wii and DS. Like I said I don’t think they’re interested in making new games in most of the franchises you listed when the Switch games they’re currently making are breaking franchise sales records.

Metroid Prime 4 and Bayonetta 3 (aswell as two new Monolith Soft games) are in development at least for you.

Last edited:
Yet BotW is one of the most ‘cartoony’ looking games Nintendo have ever made with a lacklustre at best story. Xenoblade 2 is also extremely ‘cartoony’ from an art direction standpoint.

You see the games I listed. You are capable of understanding what type of games I want more of, right? Then why get hung up on a word? If cartoony isn't a good choice, suggest another one. It's besides the point, though, when it's clear and obvious what I'm talking about.

I really hate it when people make it about semantics even though they understand what was said.

Reactions: TLZ
You see the games I listed. You are capable of understanding what type of games I want more of, right? Then why get hung up on a word? If cartoony isn't a good choice, suggest another one. It's besides the point, though, when it's clear and obvious what I'm talking about.

I really hate it when people make it about semantics even though they understand what was said.

You said you disliked ‘cartoony’ (graphically stylised) games and that you liked mature games with a good story.

BotW is imo the greatest game ever made yet it’s cartoony and has next to no story so you don’t really make sense in listing it amongst Nintendo games that you do like which maybe opens the door to trying more of their games you avoided due to artsyle.

I get what you mean in general and it’s a fair opinion but I just don’t think Nintendo is for you anymore when you look at their main internal teams, what those teams make and how long it’s been since the last instalment of series you enjoy.

Switch (and Nintendo platforms in general) are best as supplementary systems to a PS4 or PC imo. There are plenty of developers who make games just as good as Nintendo do which will suit your tastes far more.

Last edited:

Ryu Kaiba

The Word "Mature" has been so misused for years by the ratings boards and kids who think playing games like Call of Duty and Gears of War make you "more grown-up"
Which is ironic as those games I'd argue are generally played by the immature.

A colorful aesthetic does not equal childish. Adults can enjoy all kinds of art styles.

You said you disliked ‘cartoony’ (graphically stylised) games and that you liked mature games with a good story.

And I explained what I meant by it plus listed many examples. There's no need to make it about semantics.

I get what you mean in general and it’s a fair opinion but I just don’t think Nintendo is for you anymore when you look at their main internal teams, what those teams make and how long it’s been since the last instalment of series you enjoy.

Switch (and Nintendo platforms in general) are best as supplementary systems to a PS4 or PC imo. There are plenty of developers who make games just as good as Nintendo do which will suit your tastes far more.

That sounds very fanboy-ish. I recently sold my Xbox One X, because I had too much games, more than I need. Now I'm Switch-only and I'm still drowning in games (currently Ni No Kuni, then DQ11S, then Assassin's Creed 4/Rogue). This thread isn't about 'there are no games', it's specifically about how Nintendo's variety is biased against mature games DESPITE their mature games being top of the industry. That's the frustrating part.

The Word "Mature" has been so misused for years by the ratings boards and kids who think playing games like Call of Duty and Gears of War make you "more grown-up"
Which is ironic as those games I'd argue are generally played by the immature.

A colorful aesthetic does not equal childish. Adults can enjoy all kinds of art styles.

Sigh ...

93xfan

Banned
I’m the biggest fan of their mature franchises, such as the Mario with all the haunted houses, the Yoshi game dealing with kidnapping babies, and the Kirby game that deals with cannibalism (at least I think it was the same species you could eat- never can tell on a colorless Gameboy).

I don’t like when they get all preachy though, such as the animal captivity stuff in the Pokémon tutorials.

Ryu Kaiba

And I explained what I meant by it plus listed many examples. There's no need to make it about semantics.

That sounds very fanboy-ish. I recently sold my Xbox One X, because I had too much games, more than I need. Now I'm Switch-only and I'm still drowning in games (currently Ni No Kuni, then DQ11S, then Assassin's Creed 4/Rogue). This thread isn't about 'there are no games', it's specifically about how Nintendo's variety is biased against mature games DESPITE their mature games being top of the industry. That's the frustrating part.

Sigh ...
Yeah its your fault, articulate yourself better.

cireza

This is asking for too much. If Nintendo could already make an effort and stop spamming the same games and franchises with close to 0 risk, it would be a pretty big step forward.

This is what you originally said -

I *love* the more mature games of Nintendo's and I hate how sparse they are, drowned in a sea of Splatoons, Animal Crossings, ARMS, Pikmins, Pokemons, Yoshis, and so on.

I'd say that choosing Switch as your main platform was a mistake considering that four of those franchises are almost half of Nintendo's regular development cycle with Mario, Kirby, Zelda, Mario Kart and a party game (1-2 Switch / Ring-Fit) on top.

On top of that out of the games you listed as the reason you like Nintendo, eight of them haven't seen a new entry for 3+ console generations...

Now hold the fuck on, don't pull the fanboy card just because your posts don't make sense... Nintendo are by far my favorite company out the three and I actually play my Switch most out of my Switch, PS4 Pro and RTX 2070 PC combo but no, saying other companies can make games just as good as Nintendo is not being fanboyish... BotW is my favorite game ever and Mario Odyssey is great but I've actually felt the quality of their new (not WiiU ports) internally developed games isn't up there with their Gamecube, Wii and WiiU output on Switch but of course 2020 is looking great for most people into Nintendo so I'm sure that will change for me.

I also love how you said you binned an X to play Switch then proceed to list four PS4/XB1 ports - one disaster (NNK), one year late port (DQ11) and ports of six year old AC games (which if the ACIII port (which I bought) is anything to go by will look and run like dogshit. You could have played those games on other platforms looking and running far better for a few bucks in comparison to the rip off prices of ports on Switch.

Overall I'd say a PS4, XB1 or PC would suit your tastes much better, at least as a supplement to your Switch. Cheers.

Last edited:

Saruhashi

Banned
I think people hope for new additions to the "cartoony" franchises because those are the franchises where Nintendo has proved themselves in the past.

If people really love Mario Kart 8 then they are going to be looking forward to Mario Kart 9.
Same with the likes of Splatoon or whatever.

If you've got a bunch of people feeling that Mario Galaxy, 3D World and Odyssey are among the best games ever made then I'd say that offered the choice between another one of those and "Something From Obscure Franchise X" then people are going to want that new Mario game.

These days Nintendo does so much to push indie titles, and their system is really so suited to indie games, that it becomes irrelevant. For every "cartoony" Nintendo game you have about 10 to 20 good indies that are a bit more "mature".

Plus, if you are going to say thinly veiled stuff like people's 2020 wish lists are "full of cartoony franchises that typically don't feature interesting worlds to immerse myself in" then you can't spit your dummy out when people take issue with that. You know what you are doing.

If you'd rather see Nintendo investing in Astral Chain 2 rather than Mario Odyssey 2 then it's probably easier to just say that than to clumsily label one type of game "mature" and the other type of game "cartoony".

I suppose it depends on what you want to get out of gaming but I would say that anyone looking for a more "mature" experience needs to accept that it's mostly indies that offer this on Switch and if you want AAA games that are a bit more appealing to big boys and girls then XBox, PS and PC are offering more value for money.

Last edited:
You meaan Nintendo have to be more like SEGA in regards to a varied line up?

Fire Emblem seems to be coming into its own now, which has always been more mature than the other franchises.

The only one I can enjoy consistantly is Metroid but even that has a somewhat barebones story.

I think Nintendo do best in the younger/teen demographic then trying more mature stuff. Xenoblade is kind of mature? But it still has that Teen demographic to not be too out of place.

Top Bottom