• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Q3 FY 23/24 Earinings Report: Hardware 6.90m, LTD 139.36M. SMB Wonder 11.96M

Nintendo's earnings report for the 3rd quarter of the fiscal year ending March 31st 2024 has been published, this covers the three month period from October 1st to December 31st 2023. Nintendo shipped 6.90 million units of Switch hardware and 66.87 million units of Switch software bringing lifetime totals to 139.36 million for hardware and 1200.10 million for software.

Year over year quarter 3 hardware sales are 16.06% (1.32 million) down from 8.22 million and software sales are 12.83% (9.84 million) down from 76.71 million.

Seven titles sold over one million units this quarter, these were new releases Super Mario Bros. Wonder (11.96 million), Super Mario RPG (3.14 million) plus Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (3.57 million), Nintendo Switch Sports (1.71 million), Animal crossing: New Horizons (1.41 million), Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (1.23 million) and Pokemon Scarlet & Violet (1.13 million).

Nintendo have increased their shipment forecast from 15 million units of hardware to 15.5 million units and have also increased their software shipment forecast from 185 million units to 190 million units for the fiscal year ending March 31st 2024.

O1kH7YI.png

Hardware

Switch Hardware Q3:
6.90m
Regional Split Q3: Japan 1.56m, Americas 2.82m, Europe 1.99m, Other 530k
Model Variants Q3: Standard 2.15m, Lite 1.27m, Oled 3.48m

Switch Hardware Total: 139.36m
Regional Split Total: Japan 33.33m, Americas 53.85m, Europe 36.14m, Other 16.04m
Model Variants Total: Standard 92.98m, Lite 23.19m, Oled 23.19m

Global Shipment History

JUgj6oX.png

Software

Switch Software Q3:
66.87m
Regional Split Q3: Japan 15.21m, Americas 26.38m, Europe 20.73m, Other 4.55m
Tie Ratio Q3: 9.69

Switch Software Total: 1200.10m
Regional Split Total: Japan 232.73m, Americas 524.77m, Europe 348.61m, Other 93.99m
Tie Ratio Total: 8.61

Global Shipment History

l7zslyb.png

Nintendo reports sales data for software charting in the top 10 or that has sold one million or more units within the current fiscal year (from 1 April 2023).

Software Top 10

Total sales followed by sales added to the total in Q3

• Mario Kart 8 Deluxe: 60.58m (3.57m)
  • Animal Crossing New Horizons: 44.79m (1.41m)
  • Super Smash Bros Ultimate: 33.67m (1.23m)
  • Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild: 31.61m (460k)
  • Super Mario Odyssey: 27.65m (700k)
  • Pokémon Sword/Shield: 26.17m (150k)
  • Pokémon Scarlet/Violet: 24.36m (1.13m)
  • Super Mario Party: 20.34m (680k)
  • Legend of Zelda Tears of the Kingdom: 20.28m (780k)
  • New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe: 17.20m (500k)

New Releases + Others
  • Luigi's Mansion 3: 13.98m (1.16m) Q1+Q2+Q3
  • Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury: 13.17m (590k)
  • Nintendo Switch Sports: 12.48m (1.71m)
  • Mario Party Superstars: 12.31m (870k)
  • Super Mario Bros. Wonder: 11.96m New
  • Splatoon 3: 11.71m (1.04m) Q1+Q2+Q3
  • Pikmin 4: 3.33m (720k)
  • Super Mario RPG: 3.14m New

Million Sellers not updated this Quarter (1st party published)

• Ring Fit Adventure: 15.38m
  • Pokémon Let's Go: 15.07m
  • Pokémon BD/SP: 15.06m
  • Pokémon Legends Arceus: 15.00m
  • Splatoon 2: 13.60m
  • Super Mario 3D All-Stars: 9.07m
  • Super Mario Maker 2: 8.42m
  • Kirby and the Forgotten Land: 6.96m
  • Legend of Zelda Link's Awakening: 6.63m
  • Clubhouse Games: 4.64m
  • Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze: 4.62m
  • Mario Tennis Aces: 4.50m
  • Kirby Star Allies: 4.38m
  • Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword HD: 4.15m
  • Fire Emblem Three Houses: 4.12m
  • Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity: 4.00m
  • 1-2 Switch: 3.74m
  • Paper Mario Origami King: 3.47m
  • Yoshi's Crafted World: 3.35m
  • Metroid Dread: 3.07m
  • New Pokémon Snap!: 2.74m
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 2: 2.74m
  • Arms: 2.72m
  • Mario Strikers Battle League: 2.63m
  • Mario Golf Super Rush: 2.48m
  • Pikmin 3 Deluxe: 2.40m
  • Captain Toad Treasure Tracker: 2.35m
  • Octopath Traveller: 2.08m
  • Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle: 2.00m
  • Pokémon Mystery Dungeon DX: 1.99m
  • Big Brain Academy Brain vs Brain: 1.94m
  • Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition: 1.91m
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 3: 1.91m
  • Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe: 1.82m
  • Miitopia: 1.79m
  • Mario Kart Live Home Circuit: 1.73m
  • Fire Emblem Engage: 1.68m
  • Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: 1.60m
  • Pokkén Tournament DX: 1.54m
  • Nintendo Labo Toy-Con 01 Variety Kit: 1.42m
  • Metroid Prime Remastered: 1.36m
  • Wario Ware Get it Together!: 1.34m
  • Astral Chain: 1.33m
  • Dr Kawashima's Brain training: 1.27m
  • Bayonetta: 1.24m
  • Bayonetta 2: 1.23m
  • Game Builder Garage: 1.15m
  • Bayonetta 3: 1.09m
  • Fire Emblem Warriors Three Hopes: 1.00m

Nintendo Switch sold-in numbers compared to other high selling platforms with substantial quarterly hardware data up to FY10

58ijycn.png

Last edited:

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
And no price drop. They must be making close to 100% profit on each console sold at this point. ( ie unit costs are less than half the rrp)

When hardware gets this old, the margins start to shrink again. With sales going this strong still, they could release another revision of the Switch with a die shrink and push having to release the successor until early 2025.

Maybe then they’ll release the next console with 12 GB of RAM? 🤣

Kikorin

I've the impression Switch will still live long after the successor will be out. It'll remain a perfect machine for indie games, the line-up is insane and the design and concept don't show its age.

Robb

Gold Member
So they expect to be at 141.12M by March..

Have we gotten any estimates for the next FY? Would be interesting to know if we can expect it to pass the DS by March 31st 2025. They’d need about 13M more iirc, might be a bit steep.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Amazing results, but I'm ready for new hardware and Metroid Prime 4.

I hope they do another push for Pikmin ads in the spring, it was my second game of the year last year after TotK.

Woopah

When they announced the 15 million target last year I thought they were being too hopeful, but TOTK and the holiday bundles have really done their job.

Also crazy that they've sold 1.2 billion games that have retail versions.

So they expect to be at 141.12M by March..

Have we gotten any estimates for the next FY? Would be interesting to know if we can expect it to pass the DS by March 31st 2025. They’d need about 13M more iirc, might be a bit steep.
Forecast for next year will be given in May.

Oberstein

Yep and it's disappointing, only 780k shipped for TotK in Q3.

That's the right number for a DLC.

I'm kidding, it's an excellent game... but now that it's been out for several months, I'd really have liked a completely different atmosphere and, above all, a different map.

Mario Wonder sales are impressive.

Uh, yeah. This console will beat the PS2 before the successor's launch. Holy fucking shit.
This isn't selling almost 20M until late this year if this fullfiscal year they will be doing 14M.

They will be at around 17M below PS2 by the end of March this year. Sales will also go down a LOT once Switch 2 releases. Once successors are released nowadays the predecessor's sales go down a lot as well.

It's possible it surpasses the PS2 and it will be close, but still not a sure thing.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Well deserved.
Now if they cut the price and introduce a revision or some cool color schemes they may be able to keep this thing selling long enough after the successor to outsell the PS2.

But Nintendo are smart, they'll only do this if it's helpful for them in the long term. They don't care about arbitrary sales metrics, and I'm certain they'll kill the Switch if they think it'll result in a healthier Switch 2 environment.

What established Sony's dominance in this industry was having not one massive success, but two back to back. Nintendo need that more than they need to outsell a particular console.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
It's easily had my favorite games during its lifetime. If they really wanted to blast by the ps2 numbers ( which they don't care ) all they need to do is lower the price for once! lol. Ps2 was $99 for many years.

I do think they will release a cheap version when switch 2 comes out. Too many out there for a cold cut off.

Dodo123

Of course, it's natural they don't care about beating the PS2 numbers, as they are making soo much money now :D But it would be soo cool to see it beat the PS2. I know, I know, PS2 had multiple price cuts, it was pushed as a DVD player and pushed in emerging markets as well. Can't see Nintendo doing any of these with the Switch though lol

daclynk

Botw+Totk = 51 million copies. They're definitely not disappointed with zelda this generation.
Yea in the HD era, Zelda has sold more than in the 3D era combined that had much more install base. That bodies well for the series going forward. Open Air Zelda games going forward and keep the tradition Zelda formula for the 2D top down games.

Last edited:

Hudo

I want them to take a new shot at a water-based Zelda, like Wind Waker. But this time also with a submarine. Hyrule = Atlantis metaphor could be dope.

Hardensoul

Botw+Totk = 51 million copies. They're definitely not disappointed with zelda this generation.
I think the response was to the Q3 sales and not since release. I was also expecting more since Q3 is the holidays. But overall TotK sales is fantastic!

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
150 million sold by this time next year, so it should outsell PS3 by August 2025, as long as they keep manufacturing them.

Amazing to see such a good console finally beat out that record number that was sold 24 years ago. Also the PS2 took 12 years to hit 155 million and the switch will do it in two thirds of the time. if the Switch was manufactured and sold for 12 years it could eclipse 200 million, probably 185 mill

Last edited:
This isn't selling almost 20M until late this year if this fullfiscal year they will be doing 14M.

They will be at around 17M below PS2 by the end of March this year. Sales will also go down a LOT once Switch 2 releases. Once successors are released nowadays the predecessor's sales go down a lot as well.

It's possible it surpasses the PS2 and it will be close, but still not a sure thing.
I think It's 80/20 to beat DS and 50/50 to beat PS2, those extra 5 million from DS to PS2 will be tough.

Woopah

I wonder what the 7 third party million sellers are. We know Momotaro and DQM are two of them and I imagine Minecraft and EA FC are two others.

No digital?
The numbers for individual games include digital. The overall software numbers don't include digital only games.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Fuck you Nintendo. All them switch sales and no hint of a Kid Icarus Uprising port. It can be ported to use the right stick for aiming. I’ve tried it with my Switch Pro Controller on the Quest 3 emulator. They just need to make some minor tweaks to the gameplay.

Last edited:
Top Bottom