• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any other Nintendo-fan here predominantly a fan of Nintendo's more mature franchises rather than the rest?

I also love how you said you binned an X to play Switch then proceed to list four PS4/XB1 ports - one disaster (NNK), one year late port (DQ11) and ports of six year old AC games (which if the ACIII port (which I bought) is anything to go by will look and run like dogshit. You could have played those games on other platforms looking and running far better for a few bucks in comparison to the rip off prices of ports on Switch.

Overall I'd say a PS4, XB1 or PC would suit your tastes much better, at least as a supplement to your Switch. Cheers.

You keep making system-recommendations and assuming that I only play Nintendo-games. 🤦‍♀️

I'm now 1:1 repeating what I already wrote in hope you understand it this time:

Imo Nintendo's mature games are the best games in the industry. Unfortunately, they don't make those frequently enough, instead flooding their lineup with cartoony/kiddy/light-hearted games. That I find frustrating. Am I the only one thinking that way?

That's it. I don't need recommendations because I'm well aware of other systems. I owned a ps4 + psvr, i owned an Xbox one x. I enjoyed the few good games, but realized Switch alone is more than enough + my Steam backlog. Neither is the point. There's no drought of games on Switch, there's already too much I want to play. The point is that specifically looking at Nintendo's lineup, I wish we got more 'these' and less of 'those' games.

This thread is interesting anyway, because usually when someone makes a thread 'Am I the only one who ...?', other people show they're the same, because ofc nobody is ever 'the only' one. Apparently on this topic I am. Feeling pretty unique right now. 🤷‍♀️🐧

Saruhashi

Banned
You keep making system-recommendations and assuming that I only play Nintendo-games. 🤦‍♀️

I'm now 1:1 repeating what I already wrote in hope you understand it this time:

Imo Nintendo's mature games are the best games in the industry. Unfortunately, they don't make those frequently enough, instead flooding their lineup with cartoony/kiddy/light-hearted games. That I find frustrating. Am I the only one thinking that way?

That's it. I don't need recommendations because I'm well aware of other systems. I owned a ps4 + psvr, i owned an Xbox one x. I enjoyed the few good games, but realized Switch alone is more than enough + my Steam backlog. Neither is the point. There's no drought of games on Switch, there's already too much I want to play. The point is that specifically looking at Nintendo's lineup, I wish we got more 'these' and less of 'those' games.

This thread is interesting anyway, because usually when someone makes a thread 'Am I the only one who ...?', other people show they're the same, because ofc nobody is ever 'the only' one. Apparently on this topic I am. Feeling pretty unique right now. 🤷‍♀️🐧

Which is why "am I the only one who..." threads are so fucking annoying.

The only possible angle worthy of discussion here is opposition to the premise of your post because otherwise the whole thread is just validation of your opinion.

"Yeah, I agree with you mate". Repeat a few times. End of thread.
I'll give you this. AT LEAST you tried to clickbait it up a bit by talking about "cartoony" and "kiddie" games.

At the end of the day though Polygonal_Sprite Polygonal_Sprite is correct and is at least trying to engage in the discussion.

No you aren't the only one who looks at Nintendo's line up and thinks "but I'm a big boy and I don't want to play those kiddy games".
I think a very large number of gamers are not keen on the aesthetics of Nintendo's main gaming line-up.
Glad we got to the bottom of it.

Also LOL at thinking Xenoblade is "mature". Those little Nopon dudes have to be among the most off-putting, immature and annoying characters in all of gaming.

"a Pokemon-series targeted at adult fans parallel to the children-focused series. Based on original manga (Pokemon dying and stuff)"

Hahahahahahahaha.

Guys we need an idea for a new mature Pokemon game for adults.
Well what if it's just Pokemon but Pokemon can die... and... stuff.

"The opposing Pikachu fainted". Goddamn these cartoony, kiddy, games. I'm too old for this.
"The opposing Pikachu died and the trainer went into a spiraling depression and killed himself behind the PokeMart". Oh yeah, I love these more mature videogames.

The only possible angle worthy of discussion here is opposition to the premise of your post because otherwise the whole thread is just validation of your opinion.

I'll give you this. AT LEAST you tried to clickbait it up a bit by talking about "cartoony" and "kiddie" games.

At the end of the day though Polygonal_Sprite Polygonal_Sprite is correct and is at least trying to engage in the discussion.

No you aren't the only one who looks at Nintendo's line up and thinks "but I'm a big boy and I don't want to play those kiddy games".
I think a very large number of gamers are not keen on the aesthetics of Nintendo's main gaming line-up.

Also LOL at thinking Xenoblade is "mature". Those little Nopon dudes have to be among the most off-putting, immature and annoying characters in all of gaming.

"a Pokemon-series targeted at adult fans parallel to the children-focused series. Based on original manga (Pokemon dying and stuff)"

Hahahahahahahaha.

"The opposing Pikachu fainted". Goddamn these cartoony, kiddy, games. I'm too old for this.
"The opposing Pikachu died and the trainer went into a spiraling depression and killed himself behind the PokeMart". Oh yeah, I love these more mature videogames.

You know what, fuck you. Nothing I wrote deserves that asshole-y attitude of yours. Calling my thread 'clickbaity' and worse.

You realize you're free to ignore a thread if you don't care about it?

Fuck, getting angry over some asshole troll on the internet ... good night.

Daymos

I prefer long indepth games that have a good amount of challenge.. or that can at least be played in a challenging manner (like purposely gimping your player-made RPG character. So sure I like their more 'mature' games. I don't know if you can really call fire emblem, xenoblade, and zelda mature though, more like juvenile. I love the stats and gameplay in those 3 games though, absolutely addicting.

I used to say I could barely squeeze out 60 hours of gaming in a month.. but then I played fire emblem 3 houses for 100 hours in 3 weeks! Sorry responsibilities. I went to work, but everything else had to wait for me to master warlord.

Last edited:

Jooxed

Gold Member

Hahahahahahahaha.

OutrageousFacts OutrageousFacts

Thursday at 5:17 PM

Tora is the best. Love his maid fetish and how he makes fun of Pyra. We need more of that in games.

^^ Careful, that is also a quote from the OP from a different thread don't make fun of his Nopon's, Because yes Maid Fetish's with pink bear anime panties make for a mature game... OP you have contradicted yourself a lot in your posts and then you just get angry when people point this out

Saruhashi

Banned
OutrageousFacts OutrageousFacts

Thursday at 5:17 PM

Tora is the best. Love his maid fetish and how he makes fun of Pyra. We need more of that in games.

^^ Careful, that is also a quote from the OP from a different thread don't make fun of his Nopon's, Because yes Maid Fetish's with pink bear anime panties make for a mature game... OP you have contradicted yourself a lot in your posts and then you just get angry when people point this out

Amazing!

NOBODY who thinks Tora is "the best" should be giving opinions on what makes a game mature or otherwise. :)
Fuckin, they somehow made a character even more annoying that Jar-Jar Binks.

I all seriousness I can easily see people enjoying Metroid, Astral Chain, Fire Emblem, Daemon X Machina etc much more that the more traditional, more "open to everyone" Nintendo offerings but framing it as "cartoony and kiddy" games versus "mature" games is such bullshit.

Even worse when you have such golden takes as:
"Tora is the best. Love his maid fetish and how he makes fun of Pyra. We need more of that in games."

Fucksakes. :)

StormCell

I did. In my opening posting. You jumped on a word and ignored the rest.

It's not your fault, OP. GAF has a well-known reading problem.

I, too, wish Nintendo was a bit more invested in longer and more engaging content. For every Yoshi, Kirby, or Mario spin-off, you'd like to see something more in the adventure genre. There are obvious reasons for why they don't shift more of their effort into this, one of which is the oft-over-mentioned "targeting everyone" reason. I think an even bigger reason is that as a Japan-based company they concentrate more on their home market than Sony does. Waning interest in traditional video games is driving Nintendo to find new ways to appeal to those consumers, especially since Sony isn't going to devote as much interest in them.

To support my claim, I'll point out that BowT, Metroid Prime series, Star Fox Adventures, and Eternal Darkness are all heavily western influenced games that have all sold much better outside of Japan. They're all amazing games, and I want lots more of them too, but Nintendo's internal efforts are focused on driving hardware sales while many of these games (Xenoblade, Metroid Prime, Bayonetta, and all the past Rare goodness) are/were from outside developers. BotW is definitely the surprising exception, and thankfully Nintendo is doing more with it. I only wish they had been working hard on a follow up hot on the heels of the original (say, 2 years after BotW's initial release).

zenspider

I’d love to see more “mature” content coming from Nintendo, but I wouldn’t sacrifice any output for it.

Also, I don’t consider much of Nintendo’s output “immature”, save Yoshi and some Kirby. Splatoon for example, is a high skill ceiling, absolutely brutal multiplayer shooter, Smash has that level available, and I’ve been told Mario Kart does as well.

Maturity is what you bring to it. I’m reminded of the adolescent phase where we all reject our childhood pleasures as if that is what made us children; maturity is when we can enjoy them again without being identified with them.

Whenever this comes up, I’m always reminded of this:

Holy shit I’m losing it to some of those replies and the quotes from the OP about the cringe worthy Xenoblade cast 🤦🏼‍♀️

Glad to see I wasn’t going insane when a person cries about “cartoony” graphics only to make Switch their main platform despite it missing 99% of the “mature” games they crave and to then whine about how they don’t make Eternal Darkness and Pokemon games aimed at adults 🤦🏼‍♀️

See OP I can use bitchie emojis too 😂🙏🏻😂

Those Xenoblade characters and their voice acting though 😬😬😬

Last edited:
Still waiting on the people here making it about semantics to offer a better choice of words for the 2 types of games I mentioned in the OP.

Havoc2049

I’m with you OP. It’s why I always buy Nintendo consoles as a secondary console, as a compliment to another console or PC. I’m not a big Mario, Mario Kart, Kirby or Pokémon fan. I only like about half or the Zelda games. If I do buy a Nintendo console or handheld, it’s always for their exclusive 1st party mature content or exclusive 3rd party content.

I love first person shooters, RPGs (both WRPGs and JRPGs) and online gaming as well. None of those are Nintendo’s strong suits, But I also love quirky, niche and mature Japanese games as well and those sometimes do show up on Nintendo handhelds and consoles.

None of this is really a solution to what you are looking for. You’ll just have to hope for the best and hunt around for games you like. I’m enjoying Gun Gun Pixies on the Switch at the moment. :messenger_sunglasses:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
You can be mature but also have fun characteristics, when you have a character all-in on being mature you have characters like Snake, and Kratos blowing up sales.

iconmaster

Banned
Still waiting on the people here making it about semantics to offer a better choice of words for the 2 types of games I mentioned in the OP.

I submit there isn't one because your categories are arbitrary. You put Star Fox Adventures in the "mature" category and Kid Icarus in the "not." I don't see how a line can be drawn between those two.

What if "mature" is just a word we tell ourselves so we can feel better about spending time on digital toys?

I submit there isn't one because your categories are arbitrary. You put Star Fox Adventures in the "mature" category and Kid Icarus in the "not." I don't see how a line can be drawn between those two.

What if "mature" is just a word we tell ourselves so we can feel better about spending time on digital toys?

Kid Icarus is a self-aware comedy game, SFA tells a serious story (unless you dismiss anything furry as 'not serious', in which case I advise you to watch 'Beastars').

And no, I repeatedly said it's not about presenting myself to others. It's about what I want.

Jooxed

Gold Member
Kid Icarus is a self-aware comedy game, SFA tells a serious story (unless you dismiss anything furry as 'not serious', in which case I advise you to watch 'Beastars').

And no, I repeatedly said it's not about presenting myself to others. It's about what I want.

So , you made a forum post not to present yourself and your argument to others, but for yourself and what you want

iconmaster

Banned
unless you dismiss anything furry as 'not serious'

giphy.gif

Love em either way. Nintendo has a certain magic touch that's hard to describe but really special. Probably Mario Odyssey is the game that has given me the most joy on the switch.

I don't like animal crossing but that's not stylistic, I don't like sim-anything.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member

You know what, fuck you. Nothing I wrote deserves that asshole-y attitude of yours. Calling my thread 'clickbaity' and worse.

You realize you're free to ignore a thread if you don't care about it?

Fuck, getting angry over some asshole troll on the internet ... good night.

Both of you simmer down please.

Woo-Fu

Banned
I think mature is relative when it comes to a game library. Regardless of how you're using the term though Nintendo's "mature" titles cover a much smaller area of the scale than those of competing platforms.

That out of the way, lamenting the fact kind of shows a lack of understanding of what makes Nintendo Nintendo. Noting that you have a preference for the titles you feel fall at the mature end of Nintendo's spectrum is really more a statement about you than about Nintendo. Which is why you get comments from people saying that they simply like good games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom