• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Plus Game Catalog for October 2023: Gotham Knights, Disco Elysium: The Final Cut, The Dark Pictures Anthology: House of Ashes

Draugoth

Gold Member
776ce4ee990ac7ce9bbba981ee37d966493e0997.jpg

Action-packed thrills and spooky chills await this month’s selection of games joining the PlayStation Game Catalog. All titles playable from Tuesday, October 17. Let’s get into it.

PlayStation Plus Extra and Premium | Game Catalog*

e17e94fa9e96e820fd7e78e0bfd7218499777ae8.jpg
View and download image
Gotham Knights | PS5

It’s up to the Batman Family – Batgirl, Nightwing, Red Hood, and Robin – to protect Gotham, bring hope to its citizens, discipline to its cops, and fear to its criminals. Gotham Knights is an open-world, action RPG set in a dynamic and interactive Gotham City. Patrol Gotham’s five distinct boroughs in solo or in co-op and drop in on criminal activity wherever you find it.

532a6cc7abef33f319b2429434807ec0a7d87656.jpg
View and download image
Disco Elysium – The Final Cut | PS4, PS5

The definitive edition of the groundbreaking role-playing game. You’re a detective with a unique skill system at your disposal and a whole city block to carve your path across. Interrogate unforgettable characters, crack murders, or take bribes. Become a hero or an absolute disaster of a human being.

a87871ca230f06771c1d52fd9efd5c534849dc88.jpg
View and download image
The Dark Pictures Anthology: House of Ashes | PS4, PS5

The Dark Pictures Anthology is a series of standalone, cinematic branching horror games where the decisions you make in the game determine the story and the outcome you receive. In House of Ashes, a military unit, accompanied by a CIA field operative, is ordered to investigate a suspected underground chemical weapons facility. Horrific discoveries and impossible decisions face the Unit as they strive to navigate a subterranean labyrinth and escape the terrifying threat. Will they each prioritize their own survival, or put aside their fears and their personal rivalries to fight together as one?

f9558cdfc47f3d192cc68aac7ea9b3f72013bf97-scaled.jpg
View and download image
Alien: Isolation | PS4

Fifteen years after the events of Alien, Ellen Ripley’s daughter, Amanda enters a desperate battle for survival, on a mission to unravel the truth behind her mother’s disappearance. Navigate through an increasingly volatile world as you find yourself confronted on all sides by a panicked, desperate population and an unpredictable, ruthless Alien. Underpowered and under-prepared, you must scavenge resources, improvise solutions and use your wits, not just to succeed in your mission, but to simply stay alive.

d3821aa031c6f91c8638a051fa40671d408f129a.jpg
View and download image
Dead Island Definitive Edition | PS4

Caught in the midst of an epic zombie outbreak on the tropical island of Banoi, survival is your only priority. Smash heads, crack skulls, and slice ‘em up with visceral astounding melee combat and true story-based four-player co-op in a sprawling open world just waiting for exploration.

7563dee16bea0a8f888aff82e339caced25ed9c9.jpg
View and download image
Outlast 2 | PS4

Two investigative journalists risk it all to uncover stories no one else will dare touch. Their latest lead follows a trail of clues that begin with the seemingly impossible murder of a pregnant woman known only as Jane Doe. The investigation leads miles into the Arizona desert, to a darkness and corruption so deep that no one could yet shed light upon it. Stay sharp to survive in an intense first-person horror experience.

99ebf4e42d50cda68b09bc07f99d7cd074193785-scaled.jpg
View and download image
Elite Dangerous | PS4

Elite Dangerous is a massively multiplayer space epic, bringing gaming’s original open-world adventure to PS4 with a connected galaxy, evolving narrative and the entirety of the Milky Way re-created at its full galactic proportions. Starting with only a small starship and a few credits, players do whatever it takes to earn the skill, knowledge, wealth, and power to survive in a futuristic cutthroat galaxy and to stand among the ranks of the iconic Elite.

858e4b4241494a10aa608fcdf84c32aae938be25-scaled.jpg
View and download image
FAR: Changing Tides | PS4, PS5

An atmospheric vehicle adventure that follows the emotional journey of a boy and his ship as he embarks on a voyage to find a new home. Sail stormy waters, dive unknown depths, and explore forgotten ruins in a beautifully realized, flooded world. Experience the thrill of captaining a distinctive seafaring vessel. Together you’ll brave high seas, navigate intense storms, and plumb the perils of a briny deep.

bfb764016e854070b0dcfb7cea2dd960df9a8b6a-scaled.jpg
View and download image
Gungrave G.O.R.E.

Become the gun-wielding badass anti-hero of your dreams as you mow down tons of enemies in a gory ballet of bullets and experience a story of vengeance, love and loyalty, all in a beautiful third-person action shooter, combining the best that Eastern and Western game design have to offer.

b1d8ae96740d4a97c78c94e63afb0b1b0a289da5.jpg
View and download image
Eldest Souls | PS4, PS5

In a final act of vengeance, the Old Gods have unleashed a great Desolation upon the world. Mankind is fading, with but a glimmer of hope remaining. Fast-paced and challenging Soulslike combat awaits, where every moment counts. Yet fortune favors the bold, and defeating the Old Gods may grant the player powers beyond mortal comprehension. Each Old God presents a new and unique challenge for the player to overcome, with fitting rewards for those who triumph.

c304292e8d92c0f3a1ff372e5d1f83a4d85c7a5f-scaled.jpg
View and download image
Röki | PS4, PS5

Rediscover magic and chart your adventure through this forgotten northern world of mystery and monsters. Find your courage, discover hidden paths, solve ancient puzzles, and travel deeper through the icy land to learn the truth. We join Tove on a fantastical journey to save her family. A journey that takes her deep into a hidden and long-forgotten world of lost folklore filled with strange locations and even stranger creatures. Explore the ancient wilderness, solve its mysteries, save your family in this modern adventure game for all.

*All PlayStation 5 game versions are download only.

PlayStation Premium | Classics

Tekken 6 | PS4, PS5

Face off against tough opponents in large, interactive stages. Customize your favorite character, equipping items with direct impacts on gameplay. Practice and patience make perfect as you hone your combos and seek to win the tournament.

Soulcalibur: Broken Destiny | PS4, PS5

Wield massive blades, execute high-flying maneuvers, and apply pressure to destroy rivals or knock them out of the ring. Dive into modes include the story-driven Gauntlet, challenging Trials, Training, and more.

Ape Escape Academy | PS4, PS5

Never has monkeying around in class been so rewarding. Complete a variety of fun, colorful minigames like dancing, fighting, building bonfires, and more. Strive to be the best and make it to senior year in Ape Escape Academy.

IQ Final | PS4, PS5

This sequel to I.Q.: Intelligent Qube on the original PlayStation includes brain-busting modes like 100 Attack, I.Q. Final, Survival, and Create. Navigate each stage carefully to avoid being crushed by the rotating blocks.

Sorry this will sound harsh but in my opinion we are entering (or have entered) the shovelware era of PS Plus Catalog. Classics getting yet another Ape Escape while the catalog of PS1 is immense. I feel a lot of this games are like your classic "we are on our last leg of sales and could use a boost to increase multiplayer count/sell a new incoming DLC/increase sale of microtransactions"

Usually the good games come only from the indie devs.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
I knew keeping alien isolation on my wishlist for 8 years instead of buying it for $12 would pay off.
I bought it on PS4 years ago and bought it again last year on PC for the higher framerate and mods.

I'd buy it again if it got a PS5 Enhanced edition.

Crayon

I bought it on PS4 years ago and bought it again last year on PC for the higher framerate and mods.

I'd buy it again if it got a PS5 Enhanced edition.

It's been on my steam whishlist and ironically... close to the top all this time lol. I've heard nothing but good things.

R6Rider

Gold Member
It's been on my steam whishlist and ironically... close to the top all this time lol. I've heard nothing but good things.
The mods that alter the alien AI are amazing. Of course there's other mods for graphics and lighting, etc. but the AI ones take the cake.

SenkiDala

Still pretty weak on the oldies. :(
I want Dino Crisis, RE2/3, Toshinden, Parasite 1 & 2, Xenogears, Vagrant Story, Breath of Fire games... PS2 games too.

bender

What time is it?
Good month but I've played most of what I'd be interested in. I'll give House of Ashes just so I can be disappointed in another title from Super Massive Games. I'm not sure why they can't recapture the magic that was Until Dawn.

Fbh

Weak month for me.
Disco Elysium is great but I already played through it. From what I've seen Gotham doesn't even seem worth the time (also fuck 30fps only).

I guess House of Ashes might be worth a shot. I've heard it's the best one yet but people also said The Quarry was decent and I found it to be terrible.

engstra

Happy about Far: Changing Tides as I really enjoyed the first game. House of Ashes I'll probably give a shot eventually. Been playing the Quarry so not ready to jump into another of those games yet.

CamHostage

Sorry this will sound harsh but in my opinion we are entering (or have entered) the shovelware era of PS Plus Catalog. Classics getting yet another Ape Escape while the catalog of PS1 is immense. I feel a lot of this games are like your classic "we are on our last leg of sales and could use a boost to increase multiplayer count/sell a new incoming DLC/increase sale of microtransactions"

It's weirder than that even. Ape Escape Academy was a PSP game, so this is probably one of those PSP repackagings they did with Super Stardust Portable and Pursuit Force Extreme Justice (which runs emulation "enhanced with up-rendering, rewind, quick save, and custom video filters.") Their choices of what to pull out of the PSP library is bizarre given that they have a decent-seeming emulation wrapper and the games hold up fairly well upscaled and filtered yet almost none of the big or even brand-familiar games have used the format. No Daxter, no God of War CoO/GoS, no Motorstorm AE, no Killzone Liberation, no Jeanne d'Arc. (They did get out the two PSP Syphon Filters and also have the PS1s out too, so only the PS2 game and that is missing, plus Combat Ops but that's MP.)

But yes, classic game sales are seemingly on their last legs. In the old days, gamers went crazy for buying titles from their past and the Classics library went well on PSN (as it did for other console's libraries,) but the bottom has been eaten out of the market and there are apparently rights issues and other costs in selling high-profile titles. So instead of a full library of PS1/2/PSP blockbusters, you get whatever they can easily pull out of the vault to flip for free.

...That being said, I remember kind of liking Ape Academy.

Last edited:

JaksGhost

It's weirder than that even. Ape Escape Academy was a PSP game, so this is probably one of those PSP repackagings they did with Super Stardust Portable and Pursuit Force Extreme Justice (which runs emulation "enhanced with up-rendering, rewind, quick save, and custom video filters.") Their choices of what to pull out of the PSP library is bizarre given that they have a decent-seeming emulation wrapper and the games hold up fairly well upscaled and filtered yet almost none of the big or even brand-familiar games have used the format. No Daxter, no God of War CoO/GoS, no Motorstorm AE, no Killzone Liberation, no Jeanne d'Arc. (They did get out the two PSP Syphon Filters and also have the PS1s out too, so only the PS2 game and that is missing, plus Combat Ops but that's MP.)

But yes, classic game sales are seemingly on their last legs. In the old days, gamers went crazy for buying titles from their past and the Classics library went well on PSN (as it did for other console's libraries,) but the bottom has been eaten out of the market and there are apparently rights issues and other costs in selling high-profile titles. So instead of a full library of PS1/2/PSP blockbusters, you get whatever they can easily pull out of the vault to flip for free.

...That being said, I remember kind of liking Ape Academy.

Killzone Liberation is there.

Hestar69

the third tier in ps+ is just awul..They're raising the price to 160 for THOSE kind of games.. I might just get ps++ next month when my year finally runs out.

Disco looks good and is house of ashes any good? I liked until dawn and the quarry was kinda meh.

[Sigma]

Will try out Far: Changing Tides and GunGrave G.O.R.E before my PS plus ends. I think I bought Disco Elysium a while back, if not i'll definitely play that one before my ps plus ends.

And yet they have classics as part of the PREMIUM tier, which doesn't seem worthwhile.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Good month but I've played most of what I'd be interested in. I'll give House of Ashes just so I can be disappointed in another title from Super Massive Games. I'm not sure why they can't recapture the magic that was Until Dawn.

No 1st party support.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
I've had all of the dark pictures games spoiled for me and I can't seem to find any one of them that seemed like a good story.

Top Bottom