• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else still playing games using a 3D TV?

TxKnight7

With ( Superdepth3D ) from Reshade you can play any game you want in 3D on your PC!
Here are some games you can watch with this reshade on Your 3DTV if you have one, it works with VR too, i have a 60 insh 3d Panasonic and this looks amazing!

I tried to make some clips/images you can watch on your phone without 3d glasses using "cross eye" method!

QYCcbwf.jpg

ylcjlkx.jpg

Last edited:

RagnarokIV

I liked nvidia 3D vision, and was disappointed when they killed it off. Is it even possible to play in 3D anymore with games that used to support it, like RE5?
Outside of that, I still have my 3D TV and replayed Crysis 2 in 3D via Xbox 360 a few years back. It's a shame the game is so awful and ugly on console though.

MotorStorm, Uncharted and some other goodies on PS3 were awesome in 3D.

Mephisto40

I get the feeling we are generally just waiting for the next big tech advancement, it feels like even VR game and headset production is starting to seriously slow down, maybe there is something big round the corner we aren't aware of yet

I liked the concept of 3D TV's, but it was just so expensive at the time it was popular

Never tried 3D outside of a few cinema experiences and the 3DS, if consumer TVs were good for that I can't really judge, but I had hoped that Sony would at least force every game to offer a 3D mode for PS VR2. That alone would not be super convincing to get one, but at least something.
3D seems to have been removed from the market and I don't really understand why. VR is not really setting the world on fire either beyond a still limited number of believers. Imho the naturally improved immersion is for me no true game changer, but both have a purpose, add value, and I assume without requiring excessive work when modders can do it even to old stuff and should be easy if just included from the start of development.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Yes! In my retro room I have an 80” 3d tv we used for movies back in the early/mid 2010’s!

Gears 3 (or maybe 4…cannot remember which) was awesome in 3d.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I sill have a 3DTV as one of my secondary TV's, I'll have to give this a try although VR has basically taken everything I like from regular 3D and ramped it up by a 1000%.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
The vast majority of people never played a game or watched a movie on a good HDTV. If they ever watched or played anything in 3D, they did that on a 1080p LCD TV with bad contrast using expensive active 3D glasses that flickered and had to be charged. The brightness was and contrast poor, motion was mediocre, the active 3D glasses were bulky and uncomfortable while passive glasses halved the resolution. It just wasn't a great experience.

The solution to all of these issues came with 4K HDR OLED HDTVs. It solved ALL of the aforementioned issues. HDR screens were much brighter so movies and games didn't look dim, contrast was perfect so 3D movies looked better at home than in a movie theater, the passive glasses were cheap and light (you could actually use the same glasses you got at cinemas) so you could finally watch a 3D movie with the whole family.

The 3D home experience had finally been perfected but the tech industry had already decided that 3D was dead and stopped making 3D HDTVs from 2016 forward. I got a LG C6 oled 4K TV in 2016, LG stopped making 3DTVs afterwards. It's such a shame. I'm thinking of upgrading my old OLED TV, losing its 3D functionality is the only thing stopping. I've got 40+ 3D Blu-Rays and a bunch of 3D games on the PS3 and PS4. I hate to lose that great functionality since no modern TVs have 3D anymore ... :pie_disappointed:

old-parts

There are still some 3D tech out there TFT Central looked at spatial labs tech in an Acer display, which also has a software package that auto converts games into 3D.

Glasses free 3D for TV's could make a come back via a method of using high density pixel displays to generate a 3D effect for multiple viewers (8K or higher for best results). The TV industry is well aware of the players in this field and Philips demoed a prototype a CES2022 but there haven't been any takers.

The Apple Vision Pro could also ignite some 3D content production, along with the newest Meta Quest as they blur the lines of VR headsets.

What 3D for gaming needs is a big backer to push it again, the tech has gotten so much better since the first try.

Drew1440

Can you still buy any 3D TV panels? I hardly see them on the market anymore. 3DS was my only experiance with 3D gaming.

I've got a projector that has wireless rechargable glasses.
Was my main display in the old house that had it's own media room.
I still have the projector but I had to take down and roll up the screen, It was a 10 foot screen.
The 3d worked really well, I have about 2 dozen 3d movies. The most expensive form of movie's until 4k blurays came out and were so expensive I gave up on buying movies.

Now I have a quest 3 and can watch 3d movies using my PC on an even bigger virtual 3d screen.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I've done this with the "virtual home theater" setup on Virtual Desktop / Quest 2.

Gamecube and even Wii games on Dolphin, for instance, easily allow stereoscopic mode, so you can run that on your PC, stream with Virtual Desktop inside a giant virtual theater, and enjoy every title like a 3D movie.

It's a great alternative for old games/emulators that don't have good head tracking yet so you can't do full VR.

Last edited:
There are still some 3D tech out there TFT Central looked at spatial labs tech in an Acer display, which also has a software package that auto converts games into 3D.

Glasses free 3D for TV's could make a come back via a method of using high density pixel displays to generate a 3D effect for multiple viewers (8K or higher for best results). The TV industry is well aware of the players in this field and Philips demoed a prototype a CES2022 but there haven't been any takers.

The Apple Vision Pro could also ignite some 3D content production, along with the newest Meta Quest as they blur the lines of VR headsets.

What 3D for gaming needs is a big backer to push it again, the tech has gotten so much better since the first try.
Woah I want this so bad... I feel like Im the only MF who loved and appreciated 3d.... I was so excited for it and it delivered but evereyone else let it die... By the end of it atll I was unable to see 3D on my 3DS so very sad ending for my eyes and my health,.... Enjoying VR as well and praying people take to it this time.

Mossybrew

Dang OP thanks for reminding me that these existed. They really pushed that technology hard for a couple years, then it just kind of quickly disappeared - rightfully so I'm sure, I never had any interest in one.

This is a technology that I wish was still around. Playing games and watching 3D movies was awesome on my 55" LG 3D TV. Especially using the splitscreen mode where each player could use the enter TV by using glasses that had only one type of lense in them. Unfortunately, I eventually needed to replace it, and got a 65" QLED, now.

But, you want to know why it failed? Greed. The main problem is that almost every one tried going for active technology, which required expensive 3D glasses and, in the beginning, a separate box that linked the glasses with the TV. And those glasses had to be charged and only lasted for a few hours. It was just too expensive and complicated for the average consumer to just watch a movie.

This is why I loved the path LG took. They used passive tech, which is the exact same tech that's used for 3D movies at the theater. This made the glasses incredibly cheap. Hell, I usually just kept the Real3D ones you get at the theater. The only disadvantage was it made the image slightly darker if you watched it on normal color/brightness. Of course, the TV bumped that up so it looked normal when viewing a movie or game.

Had everyone embraced passive, I bet it would be a feature still put into TVs today. And with HDR it would look even better.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Slightly related: I remain surprised/annoyed that there isn't a major "3D Cinema" app on Quest with buy-in from major studios, so that you could easily rent and watch recent major 3D theatrical releases (and trailers) on a virtual screen without having to connect a PC or go through any extra hoops.

CGNoire

Yes Sir. I bought a Panasonic 3D Plasma in 2012. People dont realise this the 3D push forced manufacturors to seriously up there game when it came to image quality and processing to keep up with the 3D image update. A 3D Plasma at that time (the end time for Plasma) had major image quality and motion resolution upgrades to keep up. In other words whethet tou actual watched 3D content on them or not you benefited.

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
I loved NVIDIA 3D Vision back in the days, mostly on 2D/3D scrolling games like Trine, it was really great.
But since I got a better monitor on PC (and now and OLED TV that I connect to my PC), I don't use it anymore. I still have a few pair of glasses though.

Note : your videos look to be in parallel viewing instead of cross-eye, I can do both easily but all your videos had reversed depth in cross-eye view.

TxKnight7

I liked nvidia 3D vision, and was disappointed when they killed it off. Is it even possible to play in 3D anymore with games that used to support it, like RE5?
Outside of that, I still have my 3D TV and replayed Crysis 2 in 3D via Xbox 360 a few years back. It's a shame the game is so awful and ugly on console though.

MotorStorm, Uncharted and some other goodies on PS3 were awesome in 3D.
Crysis games with 'Depth3D' on PC is far better than on x360 i tried both you just have more options for controlling the depth to your liking etc.

CamHostage

This is why I loved the path LG took. They used passive tech, which is the exact same tech that's used for 3D movies at the theater. This made the glasses incredibly cheap. Hell, I usually just kept the Real3D ones you get at the theater. The only disadvantage was it made the image slightly darker if you watched it on normal color/brightness. Of course, the TV bumped that up so it looked normal when viewing a movie or game.

Had everyone embraced passive, I bet it would be a feature still put into TVs today. And with HDR it would look even better.

I agree that Passive 3D was great.
Cheap, easy to use,, stable with no flicker, and you could use it with the whole family on the couch (although it does have a sweet spot range so it needed to be a comfy couch...) Passive 3D didn't allow for novel features such as "Same Screen 3D" that PlayStation TV did, but otherwise it worked/works pretty well. And Passive 3D would be significantly better today, since brightness/dynamic range, high-framerate, and ultra-high-definition display would allow much higher resolution per eye with greater brightness/contrast and at a more consistent framerate.

Passive 3D is a layer needed to be added to a TV and so unfortunately it's not something that TV manufacturers would be continuing to build into TVs now that 3D is not in demand. It's cheap for the consumer, but it's a little extra work and could conceivably affect the picture quality (though I've not heard complaints that the layer did much negative if at all.)

...However, I never understood the whole "3D is so expensive" complaint when Passive 3D started to gain popularity? The Vizio 3D TV I got was their first 3D line and I remember it being only a little more than an equivalent from the same manufacturer; later models were the same price (though I'm not sure picture quality was always comparable.) I think consumers listed the argument about the cost of 3D because of the glasses and because all the super-high-end TVs pushed 3D, but there were plenty of bottom-feeder 3D TVs for people like me who don't buy the best and are happy with good-enough, and those 3D TVs didn't break the bank.

But, you want to know why it failed? Greed. The main problem is that almost every one tried going for active technology, which required expensive 3D glasses and, in the beginning, a separate box that linked the glasses with the TV. And those glasses had to be charged and only lasted for a few hours. It was just too expensive and complicated for the average consumer to just watch a movie.

Expensive proprietary glasses.
Many TV manufacturers sold glasses incompatible with other TVs, meaning you couldn't just get the cheapest brand. It could have been standardized (it's just a crystal synch signal but that didn't happen (DLP had a "standard" but I assume that came with a licensing cost) and it made Active 3D even more frustrating with the costs on consumers and and inventory on stores.

If it had been standardized, it might still be a thing today. AFAIK, Active Shutter 3D is just the TV showing different pictures per frame and the glasses switching which you see when and with what eye, so if it was just a signal from the TV chipset (which is usually RF or BT, either of which TVs already use often,) any high-framerate TV should conceivably be capable of "displaying" 3D.

It might be more complicated than that, and also precision matters greatly, but with the ever-increasing processor power inside TVs for other features, it seems like that should have been doable. Projectors often have 3D, and they're less picky now about manufacturers, but I don't love Active 3D (it's a very cool idea and it can do some things that Passive can't, but even with UHD and HFR TVs it'd still have some drawbacks today,) but if it's essentially freely doable, you'd think some manufacturer would just do it.

Unfortunately, doable or not, no TV manufacturer does it.

Slightly related: I remain surprised/annoyed that there isn't a major "3D Cinema" app on Quest with buy-in from major studios, so that you could easily rent and watch recent major 3D theatrical releases (and trailers) on a virtual screen without having to connect a PC or go through any extra hoops.

There was, I believe, back in the Gear VR and Rift days, but it never took off on Quest for whatever reason. Fandango Now and Vudu had 3D movies, but the selection was not great and you had to buy them in that format; Meta also for some reason changed its video streaming function and it seems those apps don't work the same anymore. (Netflix has some 3D movies but I don't know if it works with Quest?)

Nintendo 3DS had some 3D movies available through eShop if I remember right. Those are gone, but you can rip 3D content and convert it to a 3DS format. I never tried that but I'm interested in how that worked out?

CamHostage

The vast majority of people never played a game or watched a movie on a good HDTV. If they ever watched or played anything in 3D, they did that on a 1080p LCD TV with bad contrast using expensive active 3D glasses that flickered and had to be charged. The brightness was and contrast poor, motion was mediocre, the active 3D glasses were bulky and uncomfortable while passive glasses halved the resolution. It just wasn't a great experience.

The solution to all of these issues came with 4K HDR OLED HDTVs. It solved ALL of the aforementioned issues. HDR screens were much brighter so movies and games didn't look dim, contrast was perfect so 3D movies looked better at home than in a movie theater, the passive glasses were cheap and light (you could actually use the same glasses you got at cinemas) so you could finally watch a 3D movie with the whole family.

The 3D home experience had finally been perfected but the tech industry had already decided that 3D was dead and stopped making 3D HDTVs from 2016 forward. I got a LG C6 oled 4K TV in 2016, LG stopped making 3DTVs afterwards. It's such a shame. I'm thinking of upgrading my old OLED TV, losing its 3D functionality is the only thing stopping. I've got 40+ 3D Blu-Rays and a bunch of 3D games on the PS3 and PS4. I hate to lose that great functionality since no modern TVs have 3D anymore ... :pie_disappointed:

It's a real disappointment that 4D 3D basically didn't get out the gates, IMO.
I get why people sluffed off 3D as a fad and why it died of disinterest (and even some outright hatred of the concept from angry people who had had bad experiences,) but the fact that there are no choices left for those who did like it or for those who have a collection of 3D content they would still like to enjoy some day is a bummer. 3D BDs are still being released, but only legacy collectors can get them. Samsung and Sony and LG made the only 4K 3D TVs, and only for a short time before they all gave up.

And it's a shame that 4K 3D didn't get a chance, because like you said, modern TVs fix most of the problems that 3D had. TVs are brighter, they have smarter and faster processors, and they display images much faster and more accurately with higher resolutions/pixel/lighting zone accuracy. 4D HD could have been great for those into it, but the HDMI Consortium didn't even bother making a 4K 3D format for UHD BDs so the content's not out there, and the TVs aren't available to get even if you wanted to use it for games or other 3D features. I'd be willing to pay more now if I could get a good TV with a 3D option, but they really don't exist anymore.

I had a tiny bit of hope that, when the second Avatar was coming out, maybe home 3D might catch some interest from an enterprising manufacturer, but it didn't happen. Seems like they're all waiting for glasses-free 3D, which sounds cool but it'll still always be a small portion of the viewing experience and I don't expect a new content wave made for 3D again outside of game support.

CamHostage

There are a couple glasses-free 3D tablets out there; these seem to basically be a big n3DS from what I can tell, with an AI-assisted camera tracking and orienting imagery to create the 3D effect. They can be costly ($999 for a Leia 12" tab) and the effect is give or take in reviews, but those are out there. (Amazon had a 3D Fire Phone for a hot second that did a similar thing way back in 2014.

IQH and Proma also seem to be trying to take its glasses-free 3D into home entertainment systems, although at their prices and minimal sizes, it's not for the squeamish. (The 65" sets cost $5G and weigh almost 200 LBs.) Also I really don't know how well glasses-free will work in a home? Not my ideal solution, and too rich for my blood, but if you have a ton of money lying around...

Passive 3D didn't allow for novel features such as "Same Screen 3D" that PlayStation TV did, but otherwise it worked/works pretty well.
What's same screen 3D? If you're talking about the feature to allow two players to see their half of the screen as the whole screen in a two-player game, my LG TV supported that. You just had to wear special glasses that had a pair left lenses in one set of glasses for one player and a pair of right lenses in another set for the other player. If that's not what you're talking about, then ignore that.

CamHostage

What's same screen 3D? If you're talking about the feature to allow two players to see their half of the screen as the whole screen in a two-player game, my LG TV supported that. You just had to wear special glasses that had a pair left lenses in one set of glasses for one player and a pair of right lenses in another set for the other player. If that's not what you're talking about, then ignore that.

Yeah, the glasses and display strobe differently. (It isn't 3D though, my mistake, it just uses the same eye control mechanisms as 3D.) It's also called Dual Play or SimulView.

For Stereoscopic imagery, one eyepiece is blackened and the other shows one side of the 3D perspective, then the next frame it flips which eye and which viewpoint is shown. Your brain combines the viewpoint and differences the same as it seems in real life, and that's the 3D experience.

For Same Screen Multiplayer, both eyespieces go black for one player and the other player sees the full screen, then that's reversed for the other player. You can be watching two totally different screens and only see what your view of the screen shows you.

FZZT044H7434Z2X.jpg
'

I was under the assumption that this would only work with Active Shudder 3D glasses, because the synch device can accurately determine which eye sees what image at what time. (BTW, with a modern 3D TV with HFR, they could conceivably do four-player Same Screen at 60FPS with a 240hz TV, though I'm not sure how visible/stroby/annoying 180hz or 50 miliseconds of black frames per second would be?)

However, it turns out you can do essentially the same thing with Passive 3D screens; you just need two pairs of glasses specifically phased to one viewpoint. So instead of a left eye and a right eye, you would have two left eyes and two right eyes. (If I ever find movie theater glasses that are flat enough, I might make my own some day by just prying the lenses out of two pairs and swapping an eye.)

ZoukGalaxy

HELL YES, I will not let go my Panasonic Plasma 3D TV for anything. I will grab an OLED soon or later but will keep my Panasonic plasma for everything related to 3D. Oh, and same for my 3DS, even bought spares ones, I love so much the glasses-free 3D of the 3DS.
Never thought of modding PC game for 3D TV, was using it for 3D movies and it's awesome, thanks for the tip but since it works also with a VR headset, I will be probably go the VR way for greater immersion.

Last edited:

CamHostage

...Whoa, I just found something amazing to try for anybody who still has a 3D TV.

Same Screen Multiplayer is a 3D TV feature that works* for almost any split-screen HD game!

The thing is, 3D TVs generally have a bunch of settings for various types of 3D streams, and Top-and-Bottom or Side-by-Side 3D are common, simple formats for sending the signal to the TV for 3D processing. Well, what is split-screen gaming? It's two images, left and right or top and bottom. Your TV doesn't know the difference between a signal split for 3D and a signal combining two gameplay views in split-screen, so it'll just take those images and assign them left-eye/right-eye.

dualplay_splitting_screens.jpg

*The only downside is that in 3D, both Left-and-Right or Top-and-Bottom 3D images are anamorphically squeezed into a 1080p signal, then sliced and half and stretched for full screen per-frame/phase viewing. So if you were to try this with a normal game, what you'll get is a stretched image because split-screen games show a normal FOV on both halves of the screen. (Also, on games like RE5, the split-screen is uneven and so each player would have a lot of black on their full-screen image.) Also, the TV needs to be able to be forced into this mode, although these are two common settings on 3D TVs.

PS SimulView TV games like Motorstorm Apocalypse and GT5 weren't necessarily using any particularly radical technology to show same-screen multiplayer. They squeezed the screens properly, and they sent the code to the TV to know to divide them, but both of those things are fairly easily doable in a game that is creating a split-screen gameplay image. We could have had tons of Same Screen Multiplayer games with a slight bit of patching, and we could have had them on every 3D TV that PS3 or Xbox 360 owners had back then, just as long as kids had extra movie glasses around to hack up.

Last edited:

CamHostage

I just tried the method above with Portal 2 (a game with no 3D support.) Just booted up splitscreen MP, turned on SBS 3D on my TV and sat in the sweet spot of my 3D home...
It works.
One eye sees the Orange Bot and one eye sees the Blue bot.

x1080

I look kinda funny wearing 2 pairs of glasses right now, but when I have them on different eyes, I see the full screen as one image or the other.

How have I gone 10 years and never thought of this?

Last edited:
Top Bottom