• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else wish Nintendo would commit to just a little more power to allow their bigger IPs have better image quality?

I mean I don’t really care for better graphics on Nintendo consoles. I only buy first party games and I’m happy by the way they look.
But still there are many games with frame rate issues soo It’s definitely underpowered even for Nintendo devs.

It's more performance than graphics that's the issue with Switch games to me given portable on the small screen usually sidesteps the image quality issue. I remember folk used to always screech about 60fps with Nintendo games, now we lucky if we get a locked 30

brian0057

Banned
no-giga-chad-no.gif

ReBurn

Gold Member
People excuse Nintendo because of the "gameplay",I can't remember the last time a Nintendo game had genuine gameplay innovation and wasn't just an iterative improvement.
I mean this is pretty much all games since analog thumb sticks became a thing and it's not just Nintendo. Games haven't really been innovative in over 20 years. Most of it is still run, jump, shoot, solve puzzle. It just got prettier, which is all more power to a Nintendo machine would do for their games.

Impotaku

sadly, you being happy means nothing. Graphics on Switch is utter garbage, compared to current standards. Everybody does care about gameplay, but why not to have great graphics combined with great gameplay/controls ? I hope Switch 2 will be released in 2024 with DLSS 3.0 or whatever it will have, so it could deliver much better graphics/performance. Art design is another story...we shouldn't use it as an "excuse" and/or "extenuating" to crappy graphics, in general. Low geometry, low res textures, lower resolution is a fact, together with an very weak CPU. Nintendo is one of the most talented developers on this planet, just imagine what they could do with more power available, on their bigger IPs.
You say everyone cares about gameplay & yet plenty seem to delight in rushing to buy AAA unfinished full price beta releases.

DaGwaphics

Anyone says no, knock them in the head. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

That goes for all systems, the option for more power is always good, at all the price points. That last statement should be read in the character of Tim Taylor.

Last edited:
We have been wishing since the end of the GameCube era .remember the wii u zelda tech demo. We are never going a see a zelda game like that are we.

People have been making this argument since the literal playground as kids, and the Japanese toy/card company has proved them wrong every time.

JCK75

Power would be great, but what I want to see change the most is how inflexible they are with purchases across multiple devices..
they need to get with the times. I want my purchases to actually follow me from device to device and from generation to generation.

TheTony316

Currently I’m way more happy with Nintendo than I’m with Sony this gen. PS5 is powerful system but what the use when Sony completely stopped supporting first party Japanese games.

they currently only interested making first party western games, so if have to choose between more powerful system or first party Japanese games then I choose first party Japanese games.

This isn't something recent. Sony stopped making japanese first party games over a decade ago, at least on home consoles. Sure, there was TLG (which was supposed to launch in 2009) and Gravity Rush 2 (which flopped) but that's about it.

Ezquimacore

Banned
I used to have this opinion but now I enjoy their consoles and when I wanna play a game like Xenoblade or breath of the wild I do it on PC. So my opinion is, if you're a Nintendo fan that wants better graphics, buy a PC. You will be happy as f.

I love Nintendo, but I don't understand anyone saying no. I would love to play Nintendo games with better performance and cleaner visuals.

XC3 is great, but it looks like there is a layer of soup over the game. And the framerate feels bad when coming from playing so many games at 60+ FPS.

Last edited:

daveonezero

Banned
Yeah they have the talent and money lol, it's Nintendo.

They don't have the hardware, but once you upscale their games on PC. This is what you get, a fucking beauty.
7IJxAbC_d.webp

dZHKKEq_d.webp

zelda-breath-of-the-wild-con-trazado-de-rayos-parece-un-juego-completamente-nuevo-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-trazado-de-rayos.jpg
Most people wouldn’t be able to tell the difference. It is still beautiful at 1080p on a decent screen.

I’ve been playing Hades docked on a Somy XJ90 and it looks fine. Granted I have never games at 4K.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Is this a conspiracy theory? Anyone else agree with me on this?

Nintendo purposely gimps their systems, so most big and popular third party games dont show up. Therefore, Nintendo hoards more first software sales going up against weak third party games.

Think of all the really popular third party games that arent on Wii or Switch which get a lot of sales and play time. Nintendo first party games dont have to compete against them.

Ezquimacore

Banned
Most people wouldn’t be able to tell the difference. It is still beautiful at 1080p on a decent screen.

I’ve been playing Hades docked on a Somy XJ90 and it looks fine. Granted I have never games at 4K.
All they needed for switch was 1080p and steady 30fps/60fps and people would be satisfied. But the games they're making are too ambitious for the hardware, it's obvious Nintendo now want to make big open worlds and 60fps platformers, but they have to deal with what they have. Which was great in 2017 don't get me wrong.

Now they're even using AMD fidelity fx because some of their games like Xenoblade 2 go below 720p. I don't want the most powerful Nintendo console, I want a console good enough to run the games they're making as intended.

I do, but once you go down that rabbit hole there is no going back... Just a bit more! Oh more resolution would display more details too and those pesky shadows need more resolution while we are at it, Holy crap that AF needs to be pumped up now and please better reflections too... Why are alpha effects running at 1/4 resolution?

This is how you end up with a 32gb 100tf GPU that requires a dedicated 1200w PSU with thermal dissipation tech stolen from UFO's .

Last edited:

graywolf323

I just really hope the next Switch can handle 1080/60 docked and 720/60 in handheld and having DLSS support as well would be great

AJUMP23

Gold Member
More power equals cost. Nintendo wants their products to meet a certain price point so that every parent can afford them.

The_hunter

Bayonetta 3 looks high quality, 60 fps in the trailer.

I've been playing bayo 1 and the difference in quality is huge.

Last edited:

hinch7

Nintendo cares more for offering products at certain price points and profiteering from hardware. Wishing for better IQ, you'd best be looking elsewhere or emulation.

Chastten

Banned
Hmm, well, you know, more power is always better, but it's not really in my top 3 things I want in a console. If it came at a higher price point, or less battery life, then yeah, fuck that.

For context: I still use a 2009-era 32 inch 720P TV as my main gaming screen because it refuses to die on me, and I refuse to replace perfectly working electronics. So that should give you an idea of how much I value graphical stuff in my games. I also mostly play Nintendo games that look great already, and (niche/budget) jRPG's that don't really look great even on Steam/PS4/5 but rely on their artstyle. In both cases the Switch does its job perfectly fine for me.

Shifty

This post is soo wrong and clueless lmao
Then disprove it using argumentation beyond miminal basic bitch bombast, monkey boy.

While you are not wrong, Nintendo could do a lot more in that department. They don't need to be cutting edge, but at least target 4K 60.
4K seems like overkill to me when most PC setups are still targeting the 1440p sweet spot where you can have nice performance and image quality without having to cheat the final result up to native resolution via upscaling or reconstruction techniques.

If they're sticking with handheld, 4K is a lot of pixels to push while on a battery and chipset budget. I guess that's the rub of being the low-tech competitor in an era where TV makers have outstripped affordable rendering hardware and show no sign of stopping their beeline for bigger numbers.

Last edited:
No. HD towns are hard. Imagine ultra HD towns. People keep buying 240p games with an ugly Image Quality. So...why do better? That ain't Nintendo.

Knightime_X

If I can find the game on stronger, much more able hardware, I actively avoid buying pretty much all none 1st party polygon-based games on switch.
I NEED at minimum 1080p + 4x AA or 1440p AND 60fps regardless of resolution option.

Last edited:
Not in the slightest. Chasing image quality quality is for studios that don't know other ways to make a good game.
imagine if the switch 2 went the opposite way and maxed out at 480p w/ no aa/post-processing/af/etc,.
"we just gonna focus gameplay, fam."

my response
will-smith-slap-gif-6.gif

would still buy the games if theyre good though.

Last edited:

Valt7786

As much as I loved playing through stuff like Bayonetta 2, Zelda BOTW, Xenoblade trilogy and MH Rise, everytime I do I can't help but think just how much they deserve to be on better hardware. Xenoblade 3's combat at high fidelity with a stable framerate would look so fucking good.
Nintendo's first party, Monolith soft and Platinum games especially just deserve better.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Then disprove it using argumentation beyond miminal basic bitch bombast, monkey boy.

4K seems like overkill to me when most PC setups are still targeting the 1440p sweet spot where you can have nice performance and image quality without having to cheat the final result up to native resolution via upscaling or reconstruction techniques.

If they're sticking with handheld, 4K is a lot of pixels to push while on a battery and chipset budget. I guess that's the rub of being the low-tech competitor in an era where TV makers have outstripped affordable rendering hardware and show no sign of stopping their beeline for bigger numbers.
Native 4K is probaly overkill, but for me, I want Nintendo to make another non-portable console with power equivalent to at least a Series S, but I know they likely won't do that.

Shifty

Not my job. Time will make you grow and change your mind, hopefully.
It's every forum poster's job to back up their shit talk, otherwise we'd be Twitter.

Now front up and lay down some reasoning, lest you make your inadequacy any more plainly obvious.

imagine if the switch 2 went the opposite way and maxed out at 480p w/ no aa/post-processing/af/etc,.
"we just gonna focus gameplay, fam."

my response
will-smith-slap-gif-6.gif

would still buy the games if theyre good though.
The madmen would probably still find a way to pull it off with the size of their warchest.

Also for a second I misread that as 'maxing out 480p', as in throwing the full RTX DLSS 16xMSAA 16xAF treatment at a sub-HD screen. Now that would be interesting to see 🤔

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
Under normal circumstances I would say Nintendo is fine however, considering the Switch is the basically a Wii U Pro and has had the same range of graphics/ performance for over 10 years, it would appear that an upgrade would be in order

KXVXII9X

Kind of controversial (even for myself), but I truly think Nintendo games deserve adequate hardware for their games. The Nintendo Switch concept is my dream console. I cried when it was announced because it was everything I ever dreamed of and more.

I would happily trade off power for portability. I still value portability. Even up till last year, I was adamant about Nintendo not needing power and gameplay is king. I think it was until I noticed the low-resolution and performance that the trade-off seemed less forgiving.

It didn't help I bought a Gaming Laptop Christmas last year. I promised myself I wouldn't be those annoying PC snobs and I would still be able to play anything, but more and more I'm appreciating the crisp resolution, high framerates, and I'm so ready to move onto "next gen" graphics. I'm not even satisfied with retro looking indies anymore.

I still love the Switch and think Nintendo is king with art direction in a lot of their games and think they make the most out of what they are given which is great. I'm not someone who values graphics over everything, but it does help. I will probably get XBC3 at some point. Monolith Soft is a great studio. I just think these games would be better with more power behind them.

Crayon

Just a bit more so it could reliably push 1080p docked. If it had dlss from there, we'd be in good shape. Switch 2 could take care of it. After having a switch this whole time, what I really wish for is a stationary console that could get more ports that don't have to be "impossible ports". That's not happening anytime soon, though. Anyone who has a better platform would skip those, including me, but it would make the switch stand on it's own more. Neither here nor there, I suppose.

Top Bottom