• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone here from Wyoming?

Durien

Hey all,
I was wondering if there were GAFers in Wyoming. Once my kids are out of school, I was looking at packing up shop and moving somewhere and from what I read online and watched on youtube Wyoming might just be what I am looking for.

For those natives what keeps you in Wyoming? For you transplants, do you regret the move? Anything you didn't expect?

This move would be a semi retirement move, maybe get some consulting work to keep me busy and stay out of trouble ;) I am married and plan on staying that way. My wife would also look at doing some consulting work so she doesn't go crazy.

Thanks all :)

Durien

BTW my wife said she would need at least 2 weeks there to get a feel. I told her we would probably want to do February and August. I would figure if we did a week or so at its coldest and hottest then it sets the bar. (We both are outdoorsy types and also like snow)
The pictures I've seen of the sky and environment make me want to pack up today and move.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I am not from Wyoming, but when I was in college I spent a summer outside of Buffalo. I visited Sheridan as well during that time, and some other even smaller town whom's name I forget.

My biggest takeaways were:
  • As a city boy from various southern cities along the eastern coast, it can be a bit of a culture shock. Everyone is left to their own devices in Wyoming. Not a lot of government out there. It's not the wild west or anything, but if you're coming from a big city there's going to be a lot of things you may take for granted that just aren't things out there
  • You'll get exposed to some native American culture which is truly different from any other ethnic group I've ever met. They have their own customs and slang and if you happen upon a reservation in the wrong way you'll learn that they even have their own fashion of law enforcement (it's cool, more laid back)
  • Carry a powerful rifle with you if you're in rural areas. You'll probably never need it, but if you happen upon one of the gigantic monstrous bears that call that area home, you'll be glad you have it
Wish I could offer more insight, but I loved my time there. I intend to retire either there or in the Pacific Northwest.

Last edited:

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
images

Winter John

Gold Member
We’re pretty close to WY’s border. Moved down here after we got married. I was thinking of somewhere further down south, but then a buddy asked if I knew anyone who was looking for work and that’s how we ended up in this spot.

The best advice I can give you is unless your used to the rural life move into a city first. Somewhere like Casper or Cheyenne. They’re both decent areas, with all the amenities you could want. There’s a lot of little drawbacks to living out here compared to NY obviously. Deliveries can take a bit longer. The internet isn’t great. Phone coverage can be hit or miss. Forget about nightclubs or fine dining. Although if you like good steak you’ll be fine. The shops are average at best. It’s not Manhattan is what I’m basically saying.

Durien

Thanks! I would move from Washington so I am used to rural. Cheyenne is one of the places I was looking at actually.

I used to spend a lot of time between April to October every year going through Gillette and Casper, along with Yellowstone, due to work. the environment and the scenery around there are pretty good. rolling prairies as far as the eye can see outside of the Yellowstone area. the big cities, Gillette and Casper at least, are pretty nice overall. you'll find most of the things you need there, from Walmart or Best Buy. plenty of restaurants too, thou you might miss certain styles of food there. of course, depending on where you decide to live, it might require a long drive to get into the city area. also, the weather can be changing pretty rapidly. I've encounter sudden heavy rain that turned into hail storm, and then got the setting sun beaming right into my eyes, all in the space of less than an hour. and I even ran into a blizzard in early October once (thou the locals told me that's the earliest one they had encounter in 15 years or something) that stranded me in the town of Douglas overnight in a Red Cross shelter since all roads were closed. so keep that in mind for winter times OP. outside of that, if you like nature and like the slower pace of life, I imagine you would like it. not sure how's the internet these days thou. I remember back then the internet connection was decent at best.

Last edited:
Top Bottom