• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Almost 1 week after release, what are your feelings on Final Fantasy VII Rebirth? [No Spoiler]

Vblad88

After first chapters slog it is really getting itself together up in chapter 4. But still seems like a game that have to „tick all the boxes” (fortunately does that waaay better than in the beginning) and have PEGI 12 vibes most of the time. Haven’t played the original but that seems fitting for the 90s kids anime style.

Given that FFXVI was deadly serious, it does not bother me so much - well planned publishing move and great way to awake your inner-child in these doomed times.

But won’t be GOTY, final fantasy games mastered the way of being the greatest 8/10 games of all time. Technically it seems rough around the edges, like they purposefully left Door open for PS6 definitive edition or something. Graphics, Audio mixing is spotty at times, and beginning seems to be less polished than the rest of the game.

Queen’s Blood got me hooked. I absolutely recommend digging this card game. And I hate card games!

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
I feel like I need to boot it up but that led to the feeling that I need to finish Remake which led to the feeling that I should probably restart Remake which led to the feeling that I'll just play something else. lol

Valt7786

On chapter 11 now, loving 99% of it.
The ubisoft towers were a bit of a downer to discover were in the game, wish they'd let you find the map filler stuff organically.
And there's one thing thats happened that I'm not so keen on
Red's voice change once you reach cosmo canyon
but otherwise, fucking great so far. The combat and the story beats are fantastic.

Madflavor

Should mention that unless Stellar Blade or Dragon's Dogma 2 completely knock my dick on the ground, Rebirth will be my GotY.

Aion002

17 hours in and I am still in Junon.

I like it a lot and it's probably going to be my game of the year.

Everything has been great so far for me, no complaints. I am playing slowly and enjoying every second of it while doing every side quest and exploring everything on the map.

I won't deny, I love Final Fantasy, even the bad ones, but this one feels special, it's probably going to end up being one of my favorite games ever.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
What I love:
Battle system
Characters and their interactions
World and world design

What I dont like:
Every iconic scene or moment, I feel they've bungled remaking.
Too much Hamauzu. It's drowning out Uematsu.

9/10. I love the game and am genuinely intrigued qhere it's going. But I don't trust it lol.

I'm 9n chapter 7.

Last edited:

Aion002

PLEASE someone tell me what order im supposed to play all these FF7 games in?
Ideally you should play FFVII Remastered, then the Remake and finally Rebirth.

Crisis Core is cool, but not important.

Advent Children (the movie), is optional to watch after finishing the Remastered.

Everything else is just better to read about it.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Ideally you should play FFVII Remastered, then the Remake and finally Rebirth.

Crisis Core is cool, but not important.

Advent Children (the movie), is optional to watch after finishing the Remastered.

Everything else is just better to read about it.
So Remastered is the original game remastered? Remake isn't the same thing just a newer version or does the story continue from Remaster? and Rebirth is the last of the trilogy?

Aion002

So Remastered is the original game remastered? Remake isn't the same thing just a newer version or does the story continue from Remaster? and Rebirth is the last of the trilogy?
Remastered is the original game with just some improvements (no new content).

The original game on ps1 had 3 discs, the Remake is basically disk 1 (the first part of the game), however they changed a lot of things and added new stuff, the game is basically a sequel (in some way), so if you play the original first, the new games will be a lot more enjoyable.

Rebirth is the part two of the remake and eventually they will release the final chapter.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
So I enjoyed a majority of the game however one issue kept cropping up over and over especially near the end that really REALLY pisses me off and just left me thinking about how shit the ending section was to play rather than the 80+ hours I did enjoy.

Can the developers please for the LOVE OF CHRIST stop taking control of who I have in my party away? Who the actual fuck thinks forcing me to reconfigure my materia set up every 30 fucking seconds because there's only 2 or 1 of specific types to go across 7 characters is a good idea?

This is ESPECIALLY annoying right at the end where the game throws an endless sequence of fights without telling you prior that you won't be able to switch materia and forces you to battle none stop with a random groups of characters you have NO WAY of predicting prior to the cutscene that throws you into the fight. seriously fuck you, if you want to be an action game just give me preset loadouts and stop wrestling control of my party off me. Why not make it so the AI is not utter shit with melee characters in the next one too while your at it.

So overall when the game let's you actually have full control it's fun, however I was screaming at the TV when it took away control of my party literally 30 seconds after handing it back to me, its like a joke. Who the fuck thought that was good from a game design stand point?

Unlike the first game I don't think I'm going to bother to platinum, the game was great for the most part, but the longer you go on the more you fInd the developers have a huge throbbing hard on for removing all sense of players choice.

Also 3D battler was fucking brutal, was not expecting that, I was cheering when I got that trophy.

Last edited:
On chapter 11 now, loving 99% of it.
The ubisoft towers were a bit of a downer to discover were in the game, wish they'd let you find the map filler stuff organically.
And there's one thing thats happened that I'm not so keen on
Red's voice change once you reach cosmo canyon
but otherwise, fucking great so far. The combat and the story beats are fantastic.
You can just ignore them for the most part.

Regarding the spoiler..

god I hated it so much .. I really can't stand his kid voice, love his "enlightened" voice. It was funny to change as a short term joke, but then he spends most of the game speaking with that... 😭

So I enjoyed a majority of the game however one issue kept cropping up over and over especially near the end that really REALLY pisses me off and just left me thinking about how shit the ending section was to play rather than the 80+ hours I did enjoy.

Can the developers please for the LOVE OF CHRIST stop taking control of who I have in my party away? Who the actual fuck thinks forcing me to reconfigure my materia set up every 30 fucking seconds because there's only 2 or 1 of specific types to go across 7 characters is a good idea?

This is ESPECIALLY annoying right at the end where the game throws an endless sequence of fights without telling you prior that you won't be able to switch materia and forces you to battle none stop with a random groups of characters you have NO WAY of predicting prior to the cutscene that throws you into the fight. seriously fuck you, if you want to be an action game just give me preset loadouts and stop wrestling control of my party off me. Why not make it so the AI is not utter shit with melee characters in the next one too while your at it.

So overall when the game let's you actually have full control it's fun, however I was screaming at the TV when it took away control of my party literally 30 seconds after handing it back to me, its like a joke. Who the fuck thought that was good from a game design stand point?

Unlike the first game I don't think I'm going to bother to platinum, the game was great for the most part, but the longer you go on the more you fInd the developers have a huge throbbing hard on for removing all sense of players choice.

Also 3D battler was fucking brutal, was not expecting that, I was cheering when I got that trophy.
Yeah I don't mind it as much, but it is frustrating at times. About 20 hours in I just decided to buy a random set of generic materia for everyone so they would all be viable at any time and it worked out fine. Before if it was a character I wasn't playing, I would just play through the battles without any materia at all. Lol. Just too much work to transfer it all and outfit them just for a short while.

Nydius

I would like to amend my first post in the thread where I mentioned the open world bloat was manageable. After a few hours in Gongaga, I’m about to burn out on all this open world fluff. Between Gongaga’s terrain/awful navigation and yet another zone of the exact same open world stuff, it’s kinda wearing on me now.

Got to Cosmo Canyon today and started the cave there. It's freaking amazing. I can't believe how much the jam packed into this. For reference I have fully completed 4 areas prior to where I'm at and I just ticked 66 hours. ( I just realized I have been playing this for 11 hours a day since release wtf)

ToadMan

I think it's excellent. it reminds me at times of zelda, others of Xenoblade.

It is a fan service game in many ways and a love letter to the OG FF7. So if that's you, then go ahead and get it anyway.

But if you're looking for a traditional (read turn based combat) JRPG experience, and you have no particular love for the FF7 phenomenon, this may not be what you're looking for.

It's not a grindy JRPG experience either. In fact combat isn't front and center here at all - much of the flavor of the game is from doing things other than combat in terms of mini games and side quests. Combat is kind of incidental and even optional in the open world.

When combat does take place, its not particularly challenging (I'm playing on dynamic which is supposed to be the most challenging setting) and I've levelled *organically" without any deliberate grinding or harvesting.

The combat is fun and the enjoyment is mostly about efficiently controlling your party to enable the various cooperative and special moves they can do - but in reality you can if you want, just control your favorite character and go through the battles like its a soulsborne game while leaving the others to do their thing.

But never fear - Unicorn Overlord is also released today so there is something out there for you.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
& you're obviously not alone. me, I found the original version very charming. but not so much this 're-imagined' version...
I mean I just did Queen Blood tournament and whole thing with Red XIII was super charming and hilarious!

But never fear - Unicorn Overlord is also released today so there is something out there for you.
What!? I thought that game releasing in March 8th.

Last edited:
I enjoyed Remake but Rebirth is boring. The open world is generic and the story pacing is awful. Is Final Fantasy XVI similar?
For people complaining about the pacing, honestly what did you expect, they took the story from one game, and stretched it into a trilogy of games of similar length, of course it's gonna be slow.

Hestar69

In chapter 6 and this is easily GOTY (or elden ring dlc).

This game is SO much better than the dog shit that was 16. It's great to play a FF game with good characters once again

Killjoy-NL

I love it, but they fucked up the audio.
Audio is 50% of the experience for any FF, so that is a major letdown.

Also, Queen's Blood sucks.

I'm probably halfway through the story (just a guess, Chapter 7 atm) and I'd rate it 8/10, so far.
Would've been 9.5/10 if they didn’t fuck up the audio.

I'm really bothered by the audio.

Edit:

Bump to 9/10 because Tifa.♥️

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

Look at dat meta user score. 🤯

6OKcA4I.png

FUBARx89

I'm on chapter 10, never thought I'd be doing tower climbing Far Cry style, but here we are.

The amount of mini-games is getting on my tits though, that and Chadley\MAI. Nothing worse than doing something open world and then ya have to talk to them two. I groan whenever it happens.

Just arrived at Chapter Junon. I find it extremely boring. It's like a reskin of a Ubisoft game with even worse open world elements. I think if it wasn't called FF 7 it wouldn't be getting the praise it gets.

ToadMan

Im at chapter 14 in remake and find it boring and tedious will I like Rebirth more or na?

Personally I wasn't a major fan of remake because I kept wanting more freedom to explore bigger environments and take some time off from the corridor combat.

That's what I got with Rebirth.

So if that sounds like a similar complaint to you, then yes rebirth does fix that.

Tiamat2san

very good (26h in) but there’s a lot of little things that i find annoying.
-Too much minigames.
-too much goofy stuf.
-some new characters (especially one from remake) are just too much.

Music is sometimes incredible, sometimes meh ( when trying to be cool/fun)

But overall i can’t wait to see where the story goes.

Last edited:

wa600

I don't own the game, but I read someone saying they just reached Costa del Sol after 39h playtime. Does it really take that long to get there if you do all the side content? That sounds like madness to me.
In the original it takes about 3 hours to get there after leaving Midgar. 39h would be the time you would finish ff7 on a blind run.

For people complaining about the pacing, honestly what did you expect, they took the story from one game, and stretched it into a trilogy of games of similar length, of course it's gonna be slow.
*shrugs* The pacing for Remake felt right.

Last edited:

Borowski_1

I'm enjoying it

But man, is this thing another Ubisoft-ish bloated game...

Makes me miss RDR and RDR 2 even more

hinch7

Concur with this, especially the materia swap outs and some enemies need to be pressured with certain abilities. Its a pita constantly changing materia, that I ended up leveling and keeping standard ones like healing as a base just in case. Which, tbf is all you really need to get through the game. That and Prayer for those 'oh shit' moments.

3D Battler is isn't bad once you get the hang of it. Just memorise enemy movements, pause before they pull the move off and its easy going. Pretty sure that was the case in the OG as well. Well done if done it without that lol.

Last edited:
I don't own the game, but I read someone saying they just reached Costa del Sol after 39h playtime. Does it really take that long to get there if you do all the side content?
Give or take. I'm on Ch. 7 in the Coal Mines and my playtime is 40 hours.

Great gameplay mechanics and fun in general. I'm still on Chapter 3 as I keep doing side missions and open-world content.

My problem with the game is the technical mess... The lack of a Motion Blur feature on Quality Mode makes it really hard to play on OLED so I'm playing on the bedroom LG LCD TV 4K. On the 'Performance' mode, it's even worse it's literally unplayable due to bluriness..

It's such a mess at the technical front especially with the pop in issues and everything

It's a wonderful game. a massive leap forward when compared to the first entry of the Final Fantasy VII Remake. It is way more ambitious, with an open world that is as detailed as alive, and that is very gratifying to explore.
The only thing I feel cumbersome is there are more than needed mini games in this game. I loved Gwent and I really like Queen's Blood too. But some feels like fillers. Other than that I love the combat system. It's so well done.

Flyinmunky

I disliked remakes re-imagining of certain scenes but still really enjoyed it.
Rebirth goofy factor is turned up to 110%, not a fan of certain character changes . I’m not a fan of open world check lists either.

I found the ending parts had too much going on in terms of changes from original and important moments didn’t hit due to this or maybe they just wasn’t done well.

For people who love open world games and mini games this must be a dream for them.

Anyway , onto Final fantasy 7 Resolve , in few years.

Top Bottom