• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone in here have a foldable phone?

Blade2.0

What do you think of it?! Was considering getting the new xiao mi one when it drops in the west, or when it gets a global rom from xiaomi. But was hoping to get a better perspective of how they are.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I forgot about foldable phones. Was it a fad?

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
Yea I do, it's awesome....

ljDP4ic.jpg

Ron Mexico

I have a Z Fold 2. My better half had a Surface Duo before deciding she hated it.

For me, I use the phone folded more often than I would have initially expected but it's definitely nice to have the additional real estate when needed.

The keyboard with the screen unfolded is the only thing I'm not crazy about. There are some options out there from what I understand but ymmv.

As for the Duo, the reviews were pretty much on point. The hinge was fantastic. The rest of the experience was...terrible.

Fbh

I forgot about foldable phones. Was it a fad?

Feels a bit like early VR.
Cool concept but way too expensive for most and the tech still has glaring issues (durability, ugly crease, inability to use a case with most designs)

There's also these new concepts of "expanding" screens which IMO are the best use of the tech yet:
oppo-x-2021-expand-2.gif

But since the screen is basically rolled in you get extra crease on the whole expanded side.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I have a Z Fold 2. My better half had a Surface Duo before deciding she hated it.

For me, I use the phone folded more often than I would have initially expected but it's definitely nice to have the additional real estate when needed.

The keyboard with the screen unfolded is the only thing I'm not crazy about. There are some options out there from what I understand but ymmv.

As for the Duo, the reviews were pretty much on point. The hinge was fantastic. The rest of the experience was...terrible.
I really thought the duo was going to be the "right" way to do dual screens/foldables but I have done a 180. I think a foldable screen is far more practical vs a dual screen solution

DESTROYA

No, just more shit to break if it drops + still crazy expensive.
I still consider it a fad and really doesn’t add much to having a phone that a phablet doesn’t offer much cheaper

Ron Mexico

I really thought the duo was going to be the "right" way to do dual screens/foldables but I have done a 180. I think a foldable screen is far more practical vs a dual screen solution
Agreed. I thought the crease would be far more of a hindrance than it turned out to be as well.

The lack of case options mentioned above is a valid criticism-- I have the back protected by the Samsung case with the kickstand but it's not ideal.

That said, I work from home so my phone doesn't see the wear and tear that might happen for others. There's definitely trade-offs but for me the pros outweigh the cons.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
my friend has the samsung fold or whatever its called.

Seems cool but i dont see why i would want one.

Blade2.0

my friend has the samsung fold or whatever its called.

Seems cool but i dont see why i would want one.
For my uses, I like emulation on my phone. Having a foldable and being able to prop it up on an office desk for a bit of PS2 gaming with a big screen is why I want one.

Saiyan-Rox

Honestly the Duo was a great idea on paper but Microsoft screwed the pooch by filling it with shitty specs and a camera that's as powerful as a nexus 5.

The hardware outside of specs is really nice but Microsoft are new on the Android hardware scene and made the stupid choice of overpricing their first phone and using crap specs for the price.

Hopefully their next one is a step up but they're still an unknown when it comes to software support.

ksdixon

Duo is great for apps that lock you into the screen using them, and then kill the app when it's off screen (banking, PS Remote Play).

You can do these things, and keep track of Excel, YouTube, messages etc on other screen.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
No, but I see the appeal. Especially for gaming.

My most played game on my phone is Rome: Total War. It would be great to play it on a bigger screen without having to buy a tablet.

Ballthyrm

Last I checked every phone is foldable is you try hard enough.
Apple tried to do a foldable phone, it didn't go so well

screen-shot-2014-09-24-at-2-41-31-pm.png

Top Bottom