• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Ryan:"I have the best job in the world, but with each year that passes, jet lag gets harder and harder to deal with"

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
I really asked out of curiosity. Doctor is a very underrated profession. Thank you for your contribution to our society.
You really deserve more than that.
Thank you, in fact I was in a small town in Coahuila but they took me into account as if I were a priest or a mayor, because of the social importance...

In fact I have a decoration from Mexico as a Covid Hero.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
How can people possibly believe this type of bullshit? It defies reason.

It also makes absolutely no sense based on the numbers presented. 13m units in stock is hardly catastrophic on a target of 25m units (of PS5) sold in a year. Especially given that the 13m figure seems to be assuming that was arrived at by assuming everything in inventory is a PS5 console, not any of the numerous other types of hardware that fall under the gaming umbrella!

There's also a weird contention that there's internal pressure to divest SIE despite it being the main thing that's kept Sony as a whole afloat for the last 12 years!

Roberts

This short interview gives a better insight of what kind of businessman he is than any of the previous ones. Old school guy, probably scribbles down everything on a notebook and most likely still got a portable car phones stashed in the attic. Anyway, can't blame him - long flights are a bitch and not only because of the jetlag.

Jim Ryan complains about 9-hour flights where he can read a book or sleep...

At work I was awake for more than 50 hours on some occasions without resting. And I entered a covid-19 area in the middle of the pandemic with more than 20 people with a confirmed diagnosis, which I survived, in 2020.

So Jim Ryan don't cry over insignificant things.

Jim Ryan is almost certainly a multi-millionaire. He's at an age and financial security where he doesn't have to work anymore and doesn't want to be apart from his family for long stretches.

I don't see him crying, he's just making a life decision.

mitch1971

This is a non-trivial challenge as what gamers love in Tokyo can be very different to what gamers love in Dubai, which again, can be very different to what gamers in Ohio love. I guess I’m biased but I think I have the best job in the world.
We know Jim
gpp9d14v6mpb1.png

mansoor1980

Gold Member
The last thing you watched?

I am halfway through the final season of Sex Education which is one of the best and funniest things I have seen in years.

playstation-sony.gif

Humdinger

Sounds good to me. I agree with much of what he says here. I never bought into the "Ryan was forced out" stuff. That seemed like conspiracy thinking to me. He's done a good job in a brief term at the top -- PS5 is dominating -- and his reasons for hanging it up make a lot of sense to me. I'm not happy about his decision to push in the GaaS direction, but I can't blame him.

I'm curious to see who replaces him and whether Playstation's direction will shift.

Last edited:

GHG

So, same bullshit.

Still not the same country you ignoramus.

And please explain to me what's "bullshit" about adapting and localising a game to better cater to a local market/culture?

It has no impact on the game for the rest of the world where everyone else can still have it be full of the LGBTQ propogranda crap.

Sleepwalker

No one actually believes it. It has 63 likes on twitter. A lot of people have invested a lot of time and money into the Xbox ecosystem. The games the controllers, Xbox live communities e.t.c.

None of those people believe this is true, they just want to celebrate anything that suggests things aren't as bad as they are and there are a lot of people making a living on promoting Xbox as a platform.

Colt Eastwood has 158K subscribers on youtube... He's now promising AI will save Xbox. And maybe AI will have a profound impact on gaming in the next 10 years, but what he is doing is trying to sustain his cult. Will his very specific cult stick with him if Xbox folds?

Look at how his channel evolved over time. He's had this YT channel for 16 years. 6 years ago he found success really leaning into the console war stuff. They're con artists that get access directly from Microsoft in exchange for shepherding their flocks and keeping them engaged.

Oh, some characters actually are deluded enough to believe it

mitch1971

Still not the same country you ignoramus.

And please explain to me what's "bullshit" about adapting and localising a game to better cater to a local market/culture?

It has no impact on the game for the rest of the world where everyone else can still have it be full of the LGBTQ propogranda crap.
Nice way to start off your reply, but I'll continue.

Whether its the same country or not they still have the same stance against same sex relationships.

When they make changes to other countries, it proves it's pandering and a marketing stratagy not something they believe strongly about. It's hypocritical and bullshit.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned

Whether its the same country or not they still have the same stance against same sex relationships.

When they make changes to other countries, it proves it's pandering and a marketing stratagy not something they believe strongly about. It's hypocritical and bullshit.

It’s more like you’re spewing a bunch of foolery.

Reactions: GHG

Killjoy-NL

But because it didn't market them, it doesn't show them, it is on the recommendation of gamers 😶
Because those studios either made smaller games, niche games or just didn't deliver.

Zipper went downhill with Socom 4 (M.A.G. probably underdelivered) and got closed.

Driveclub had a terrible launch and Evolution got closed. Motorstorm also wasn't a system-selling franchise.

Team ICO made niche games and after the development hell of TLG, it got shut down.

All the other studios were smaller studios that didn't do something noteworthy.

I liked all the studios mentioned above very much, but I can easily understand why they got shut down.
People should lose the nostalgia-goggles sometimes.

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
Team ICO made niche games and after the development hell of TLG, it got shut down.
Actually, Team ICO was an informal team at Japan Studio (starting at late 2005) that stopped existing altogether once Ueda left SCEI in 2011, 5 years before The Last Guardian was released.

Crayon

That's not contradictory though?
I work in multiple time zones and it's really hard to deal with sometimes, but I love the job itself.

You know it's so hard to pick the exact right words for a joke. I meant to imply something about him quitting because "this job sucks" but as it is now can be read more like complaining about the schedule. So I was actually trying to make them sound contradictory. I should had put "fuck this bullshit" instead of "it's fucking bullshit".

Killjoy-NL

Actually, Team ICO was an informal team at Japan Studio (starting at late 2005) that stopped existing altogether once Ueda left SCEI in 2011, 5 years before The Last Guardian was released.
True, didn't know how else to phrase it and the chronological order of things surrounding Team ICO and TLG.
Too long ago. Lol

Disbanded should be a better waynof putting it.
I do remember that Ueda had already established his own studio while supervising the development of TLG later on.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Because those studios either made smaller games, niche games or just didn't deliver.

Zipper went downhill with Socom 4 (M.A.G. probably underdelivered) and got closed.

Driveclub had a terrible launch and Evolution got closed. Motorstorm also wasn't a system-selling franchise.

All the other studios were smaller studios that didn't do something noteworthy.

I liked all the studios mentioned above very much, but I can easily understand why they got shut down.
People should lose the nostalgia-goggles sometimes.
But the importance of Playstation is precisely due to its Japanese games 😶

Forcing your studios to transition to GAAS is hard work. It may look like a wrong decision right now but it will pay off in the end, just you wait. Well, if it doesn't Jimbo won't be there to take the blame anyway. Motherfucker is a genius.

Kumomeme

It depends on where I am. If I’m in the UK, I get up very early for the London/Tokyo crossover, break around midday, then sleep, eat and have a walk, then start again around three just as the West Coast is getting going, and slog through on Teams until supper.

By the end of the day, my eyes are bleeding from looking at a screen for too long… Face-to-face is better but that requires me to be on the West Coast or in Japan. Those trips are always energising but also exhausting.

With each year that passes, jet lag gets harder and harder to deal with. The human body simply isn’t designed to teleport across continents – anyone who thinks regular long-haul business travel is exotic and exciting is out of touch with reality!

example result wont betray actual works. less talking and move your ass

Awkward Dance GIF by nounish ⌐◨-◨

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

But Playstation is a Japanese company 😶
Very good perception.

PS5 is also the first Playstation-system to surpass 2M sales within a year since PS2 in 2005.

Last edited:
Yet PS5 is following PS2 trends without those studios.
Even in Japan.

PS5 will never hit the numbers of PS2. I even doubt the PS6 with no competition from Xbox could hit those numbers.

I think Sony and Microsoft have recognized the ceiling on console gaming.

Japan is having a bit of a traditional console resurgence, probably because the Switch is so old. It's really good for Sony that FF7R2 is coming out before the Switch 2 does, but Sony will have to do a lot more to reach even moderate levels of success in Japan.

Aggressive pricing, PS Portal, and more varied games.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Very good perception.

PS5 is also the first Playstation-system to surpass 2M sales within a year since PS2 in 2005.

But ps2 is still the king 😶

GHG

I'm not sure what point you're attempting to make here. It's been clear for a very long time that everything which comes from corporations that is linked to woke ideology is nothing more than pandering and box ticking. That's evidenced by the way they conduct themselves in regions outside of the West.

And again, no, there are differences between the various gulf states and their stances on things, hence they have disagreements and even outright fall out over things. It's nothing more than pure ignorance on your part.

Last edited:

shaddam

I live closer to Japan than Jim, and I "only" went to Thailand, but the travelling part was really horrible. Okay I have to admit it was economy, not some fancy business class.

As a CEO he is brilliant, there are his results in Europe for years or the current ones with PS5 breaking records, the main failure he has is communication, he should learn from Spencer, say what people want to hear and then do the opposite, like this I would have a better reputation.

Top Bottom