• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Ryan:"I have the best job in the world, but with each year that passes, jet lag gets harder and harder to deal with"

I am many many years younger than Jim Ryan and I recently flew to Switzerland. Coming back was a 9.5 hour flight.

It was awful doing it twice (there and back). I can't imagine doing it multiple times per year for consecutive years.

But we still got to hear "jIm rYaN wAs FiReD!"
I fly to Japan twice a year and each time it gets more brutal. I can't imagine what it'll be like 20 years later from now. I've gone from 24 hour recoveries to needing 72 in just half a decade.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

taking trips in this day and age is idiotic but companies still force it because the execs want to go out and have fun away from families, fuck hookers and do blow etc. the thing is the rest of us just want to stay home and join via zoom.

Realistically he should only be traveling to LA once a year. For the game awards. To show support for his devs. Tokyo every quarter to talk to the board. But that’s it. Everything can be handled over teams nowadays. Let’s face it. He’s the CEO, no one’s going to leave him on Read. His secretaries should be connecting him at all times anyway.
This. There is a reason to be in the same office especially for line managers - you cannot trust your young employees, sometimes you need to whip them into shape. But his job is not this.

yurinka

Yeah well there is no new locoroco he clearly doesn't know what he's doing...

/s
His job isn't to decide which games do they greenlight at PS Studios, this is Hermen's and his editorial team job. Jimbo's job was being the CEO and making sure they grew their revenue and profits, somehting he did better than anyone else.

This. There is a reason to be in the same office especially for line managers - you cannot trust your young employees, sometimes you need to whip them into shape. But his job is not this.
His job as CEO is to have top level meetings and to sign important stuff. Things that sometimes can be made remotely but some important meetings and deals must be done in person.

Seems like CEOs of PlayStation don't last long because of this, I recall Hirai also said the same

Maybe Sony needs to have a hard look at why they are grinding these guys out. MS and Nintendo don't seem to have this issue all things considered
Maybe at Sony they have to travel more because they have a more global team with talent across the world and have more deals to sign. When you have all your important teams in a single region (NA for MS, JP for Nintendo) plus you have way less deals to sign they don't need to travel that much.

And well, maybe it's just an excuse and they simply decide to retire because they are tired of working and are rich enough to quit.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
His biggest dream.

I would love to be in the stadium when NUFC wins the Champions League. I think this will happen within the next ten years.

At least he can dream.
As a Man United fan, i despair of us winning the UCL again in my lifetime

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
I’m sure Jim travels business if not first class everywhere.

Flat beds on the planes. You can sleep like a baby for 6/7 hours on a nine hour flight and still answer all your emails.

Ar¢tos

Lessons In life.

137557988949.png

The man that close many studios talking about humble.
?!?

PixelOpus - 2 guys in a room inside another studio, working with Sony Animation for more than one year with absolutely nothing to show.

Japan Studio - 800 people, a few dozens in team Asobi, another few dozen doing 3rd party support and the other few hundreds going to work to scratch their balls all day.

He didn't close anything important, he made successful studios grow bigger and some potentially good acquisitions.

OuterLimits

As a person who cares more about the first party games Sony makes than how happy the shareholders are, I won't be sad to see him go honestly.

BlackTron

Dude can't even hold a Playstation controller right. He looks like a model holding a Nintendo 64 controller in a JC Penny catalog.

edit: beaten by seconds lol

Last edited:

Ansphn

Seems like CEOs of PlayStation don't last long because of this, I recall Hirai also said the same

Maybe Sony needs to have a hard look at why they are grinding these guys out. MS and Nintendo don't seem to have this issue all things considered
Why when the results have been so positive versus Xbox?

BootsLoader

Banned
He looks cool, funny and decent guy. As all people who have a lot of money and don’t care about possessions.
I would like to know the real “him”. When he didn’t had all that.

GHG

I am many many years younger than Jim Ryan and I recently flew to Switzerland. Coming back was a 9.5 hour flight.

It was awful doing it twice (there and back). I can't imagine doing it multiple times per year for consecutive years.

But we still got to hear "jIm rYaN wAs FiReD!"

Did some travelling in August back and forth across 3 different time zones in a multi-leg trip.

That was only for pleasure, not business and it really fucked with me and my wife. Wouldn't recommend and I'm in my 30's. Can't imagine how bad it would make you feel at an older age.

Last edited:

Draugoth

Gold Member
Jim, that's called getting old.

A day in the life of you?

It depends on where I am. If I’m in the UK, I get up very early for the London/Tokyo crossover, break around midday, then sleep, eat and have a walk, then start again around three just as the West Coast is getting going, and slog through on Teams until supper.

I stay in front of a computer all day so i can relate. It's horrible.

Last edited:
Recently saw this interview and couldn't agree more with Jim.

I'm always traveling from Europe to Latin America and the US for work and at some point the jet lag is just part of you. Mix that in with not spending enough time at home, you get constantly tired and trying to find mitigations to either be able to sleep properly or get things done.

One of the first things I noticed from hitting 30, is how the jetlag hits differently and now I need a half a day rest before getting down to work after a 10h-15h plane ride.

BlackTron

To this day, I still have no idea how one holds a n64 controller.

Check the first page of the manual for the game you're playing. Some people have IQ's of 300 and when they switch to Dr. Mario which uses the D-pad. They figure out the other way to hold it without the manual. Lucky for me, I keep all of mine so I don't need to remember so many hard facts

Le8JuxK.jpg

His job isn't to decide which games do they greenlight at PS Studios, this is Hermen's and his editorial team job. Jimbo's job was being the CEO and making sure they grew their revenue and profits, somehting he did better than anyone else.

His job as CEO is to have top level meetings and to sign important stuff. Things that sometimes can be made remotely but some important meetings and deals must be done in person.

Maybe at Sony they have to travel more because they have a more global team with talent across the world and have more deals to sign. When you have all your important teams in a single region (NA for MS, JP for Nintendo) plus you have way less deals to sign they don't need to travel that much.

And well, maybe it's just an excuse and they simply decide to retire because they are tired of working and are rich enough to quit.

The real problem for Jim Ryan is that he lives in the UK and the HQ is in California and that the main company is in Japan.

That's a terrible timezone difference. 9AM in California is 5pm in the UK. 5PM in California is 1AM in the UK. The timezone is even worse for Japan. 9AM in the UK is 6PM in Japan. So the day is largely over by the time they're waking up. It couldn't be a worse location to be in for a California/Japan centric company.

It's not just meetings with internal teams, but also meetings with partners and vendors who are based in the US.

The next CEO of SIE will probably be expected to live in California.

It's been discussed before, but past CEOs have spoken Japanese. Not sure that will be a requirement moving forward, but it still might be. Their decision will say a lot about what direction they want to the company to take in the next 5+ years.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
I fly business on Emirates whenever I fly and it's the best business class of any airline.

I can assure you it's not the same as getting a proper night's sleep on the ground in a real bed.
Well of course cos you’re on an aeroplane.

I too travel business unless it’s on to Australia then I travel first on Emirates where I can have a shower on the plane but that to is not like having a shower at home either.

My point was it’s not economy where someone’s seat is reclined into your lap for 9 hours.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Well yeah .. sitting on a plane seat with a million dollars in petty cash in your back pocket is very uncomfortable and leads to back problems.

Last edited:

BootsLoader

Banned
"I have the best job in the world."

Also

"I get up at 3am to get on 9 hour flights all week. It's fucking bullshit."
He loves his work for real, problem is that he is getting old and his body can’t keep up with all this. Good thing is that he admits that.
I imagine that he wants a simpler life now, have a beer, watch some tv, eat with family etc. and then go to sleep.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Jim Ryan complains about 9-hour flights where he can read a book or sleep...

At work I was awake for more than 50 hours on some occasions without resting. And I entered a covid-19 area in the middle of the pandemic with more than 20 people with a confirmed diagnosis, which I survived, in 2020.

So Jim Ryan don't cry over insignificant things.

Last edited:
How can people possibly believe this type of bullshit? It defies reason.

No one actually believes it. It has 63 likes on twitter. A lot of people have invested a lot of time and money into the Xbox ecosystem. The games the controllers, Xbox live communities e.t.c.

None of those people believe this is true, they just want to celebrate anything that suggests things aren't as bad as they are and there are a lot of people making a living on promoting Xbox as a platform.

Colt Eastwood has 158K subscribers on youtube... He's now promising AI will save Xbox. And maybe AI will have a profound impact on gaming in the next 10 years, but what he is doing is trying to sustain his cult. Will his very specific cult stick with him if Xbox folds?

Look at how his channel evolved over time. He's had this YT channel for 16 years. 6 years ago he found success really leaning into the console war stuff. They're con artists that get access directly from Microsoft in exchange for shepherding their flocks and keeping them engaged.

Top Bottom