• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aounuma (& Miyamoto) talk about past zeldas(MM and WW) and what to expect from TP

SantaC

Swedish Reset #05 (Bjarneby rocks!) has a pretty lenghty talk about Zelda. Here are some of the quotes translated from the big feature. (if you are a swede, go buy this mag now)

Reset

(Eiji Aounuma talks about MM and WW)

Aounuma both directed Majoras Mask and wind Waker, but he says he wasn't completey happy about them, and he began to feel insecure about his and the franchise future.

- When we finished the work on Wind Waker, a small group of key people gathered (5) to talk about the future for Legend of Zelda. At first our meetings was about how we would re-use Wind Wakers engine, but everytime we talked about Link's age we started to feel insecure. We had told the story of his childhood so many times and felt we didn't have any great ideas.
The turning-point came when we decided that Link shouldn't start as a child. When I told them (our team) about our new direction, everybody suddenly got some great ideas, and I suddenly felt that we should abandon all thoughts about a sequel to Wind Waker and instead building a new graphics engine from scratch. A more adult theme made us go with a more realistic world.

(Aounuma talks about the misstakes in Wind Waker)

- When a project grows continuously, you have to split it to pieces. I was the director for Wind Waker, but I let different people be responsible for different parts of the production. I had control how things we're going for them, but at the end of the production we fought against the clock and there were parts that I was forced to approve even though it didn't feel complete. I apologize that we didn't fix the triforce hunt at the end of the game. It was slow and dull.

- During the Twilight Princess development, I refuse to repeat the misstakes, it means more responsibility for me, but this time we can't let things to go wrong.

Even though Aounuma is the director and producer, he and Miyamoto has about the same comprehensive planning. They are working together to make reality of their visions.

- The parts you were able to play at E3 reminds you much of the precursors if you look at the control and outlay, but the new game contains much more than so. The E3 visitors has only seen a small fraction what the full adventure has to offer says Miyamoto.

- Twilight Princess circles around a long and pretty complex story says Aounuma.

- I have absorbed the criticism we got from Wind Waker that the sea was too big and the number of dungeons and caves were too few says Miyamoto. The new game will have more dungeons. Many more.

- To make the game dark is only one of our goals. This is a more serious story, but when you walk around in Toaru Village it's almost like another game. The atmosphere is not serious at all. We want Twilight Princess to contain all sides of what people think of Legend of Zelda says Aounuma

Aounuma also says that he played Resident Evil 4 a lot and he really liked it. He says that he has learned things from Shinji Mikami and Hiroyuki Kobayashi.

ziran

good quotes! thanks.

aonuma said:
I apologize that we didn't fix the triforce hunt at the end of the game. It was slow and dull.
miyamoto said:
I have absorbed the criticism we got from Wind Waker that the sea was too big and the number of dungeons and caves were too few says Miyamoto.
it's always reassuring to hear a developer admit their mistakes, openly, and say they will rectify them.

twilight princess anticipation level = max+infinity!!! :D

Sounds great. He even cited real things people have complained about in Wind Waker (although I think it was more about the sea being too sparse, and no way to sail "around", forced to sail it like a square)... It sounds like he's really the person to be in lead of this franchise now.

Wollan

I can't help but to shake of that TP looked bland to me. It was all top of the class stuff but it didn't seem fresh at all. And playing as the wolf doesn't seem that cool either imo.
Hopefully, Link will grow to an adult in this game. Like, atleast 25, not 16.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Aonuma is on mission he wants TP to be the best Zelda ever. Fuck can't wait for this game it seems everything they did bad with Wind Waker is getting fixed, Wind Waker in my mind was amazing the Triforce shit is what kept the game from getting into OOT levels, can't wait to TP.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I had control how things we're going for them, but at the end of the production we fought against the clock and there were parts that I was forced to approve even though it didn't feel complete.

I knew it!

SantaC

Yeah but I bet that they will fight against the clock this time too in order to get this game available for everybody these holidays.

SantaCruZer said:
Aounuma also says that he played Resident Evil 4 a lot and he really liked it. He says that he has learned things from Shinji Mikami and Hiroyuki Kobayashi. Mostly he wants to combine the realistic violence of Resident Evil 4 with the cartoon freakout of Killer 7 by having a hallucinatory rifle-weilding Link with switchable heads from all the past Zelda games.

windtaker8ve.jpg

SantaC

AssMan said:
Santacruzer should get a tag that says "creates the most Zelda threads EVAR!"

Well what can you do when you're a fanatic. Besides this thread has some nice input from Aounuma and Miyamoto that I thought you might to hear.

Johnas

SantaCruZer said:
Aounuma both directed Majoras Mask and wind Waker, but he says he wasn't completey happy about them, and he began to feel insecure about his and the franchise future.

I am surprised to hear that he felt this way, but I agree now that I think about it. As great as MM and WW were, there was some tiny "something" that didn't quite feel right. I'm not really sure how else to put my finger on it. I previously thought that it was just the fact that he directed them that made them different (maybe it still is) but there's something else.

Although the Triforce hunt was a bit "WTF?" it didn't ruin my life like it did for so many people. I do remember being glad the game was over at the end, though, even though I enjoyed playing through it.

- When a project grows continuously, you have to split it to pieces. I was the director for Wind Waker, but I let different people be responsible for different parts of the production. I had control how things we're going for them, but at the end of the production we fought against the clock and there were parts that I was forced to approve even though it didn't feel complete. I apologize that we didn't fix the triforce hunt at the end of the game. It was slow and dull.

- I have absorbed the criticism we got from Wind Waker that the sea was too big and the number of dungeons and caves were too few says Miyamoto. The new game will have more dungeons. Many more.

My anticipation for this game just doubled! :D

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Glad to hear they know what went wrong with the Wind Waker, although I'm not sure why he wasn't completely happy with Majora's Mask, which I feel is the best game in the entire series.

That interview also makes it sound like the team decided independently to make Twilight Princess more realistic-looking, rather than having the negative reactions from some people to the cel-shading influence their decision. I wonder if that's completely true.

Tiktaalik

The thing I like about Aounuma is that when asked by an interviewer what games he's been playing recently he always has an answer. Last interview I read with him I think he said he was playing Prince of Persia. Miyamoto on the other hand usually says he is too busy for games or that he's playing the DS games he's working on. I like to know that the game developers are playing the good games on the market and taking in the good ideas.

lo zaffo

SantaCruZer said:
Well what can you do when you're a fanatic. Besides this thread has some nice input from Aounuma and Miyamoto that I thought you might to hear.
Aloha!

First of all, I'm glad to read that Aonuma is directing, beyond producing, the Twilight Princess. Thanks SantaCruZer.

I'm one of those who thinks Wind Waker was perfectly art directed and it has got a brilliant, although simple, story to tell. Not to mention that it was easier to play because it was devised for a wider and younger audience than OOT and MM were, because Nintendo thought GameCube could be bigger than Nintendo64.

I'm a little scared about the Twilight Princess, because it has to appear like an hardcore game for hardcore fans, that is not a good thing, expecially when Nintendo's attention to details is heavily linked to mass market target.

I fear that Four Swords DS will give us more to play than the Twilight Princess.

Beyond that, this is my first reply. I'm Italian so I beg your pardon for my dull English.

lo zaffo

Jeff-DSA

GOTHOTH!

For those that want a translation: Game of the history of the hobby!

I was blown away by the E3 demo and I can't believe how each tidbit makes it sound more and more awesome. The wait is starting to become painful. PAINFUL!

damn it, now I want Wind Waker COMPLETE for the revolution, maybe as a pre-order bonus for the rev zelda

I wonder how much they left out of the game

AssMan

Banned
I'm just yankin your chain, Santa. It was good to read that they both are actually listening to fans and fixing the problems from previous Zelda games.

This could really be the greatest game ever created.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Respect +1000 for any and all developers who admit their mistakes.

Oh, and it was confirmed at E3 that there's going to be more dungeons than OoT (which means it'll have the most dungeons in a zelda game ever. :D )

Sasquatch

How nice of him to apologize to us. I think the only reason I enjoyed Wind Waker was because I played in two parts. I got sick of it after awhile, left it alone, and then came back to a month or two later. It made the last half of the game more fun than I think it would have been.

A LONG and more COMPLEX story means game is longer!! YES YES

More dungeons and less wide open spaces like seas??? YES YES

Zelda TTP most anticipated game in years??? HECK YES :D

When we finished the work on Wind Waker, a small group of key people gathered (5) to talk about the future for Legend of Zelda. At first our meetings was about how we would re-use Wind Wakers engine, but everytime we talked about Link's age we started to feel insecure. We had told the story of his childhood so many times and felt we didn't have any great ideas.

Woah Woah Woah, Hold on: First, I remember reading that they ditched the Spaceworld 2001 Zelda look in favor of the Wind waker one, because it wasn't the way Link(Being an adult in the trailer) was originally invisioned. Now, we know he had doubts?

Man sometimes I wonder if Nintendo listens to what... THE BUYER WANTS.

SantaC

AniHawk said:
Thanks, Santa! Great read.

np!

Wind Waker isn't a bad game at all, it's better than most games in same genre, but yeah it's nice that he is recognizing the flaws. I think Majoras Mask is a great zelda game, but he never said why he wasn't completly happy about it, but I think he compares it to OoT which he thinks is a better game. Aounuma has some pretty demanding standards, but that's how it is working on Zelda :)

I can't believe he said he wasn't fully satisified with Majora's Mask. Wind Waker I understand, but Majora's Mask is the best Zelda game ever made. He probably has no idea because it was probably one of the least selling and might not have the same fan-following.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Personally I feel the Aounuma is taking the series in the right direction, i.e. implementing an actual storyline to co-exist within everything else. Before he came on board, it was just a jumbled pile of mess. It will be very interesting how he does Twilight Princess because I feel it'll be his proper game, just as Majora's Mask and Wind Waker were his first steps - even if they were well written if just simple.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
speedpop said:
Personally I feel the Aounuma is taking the series in the right direction, i.e. implementing an actual storyline to co-exist within everything else. Before he came on board, it was just a jumbled pile of mess. It will be very interesting how he does Twilight Princess because I feel it'll be his proper game, just as Majora's Mask and Wind Waker were his first steps - even if they were well written if just simple.

absolutely, Miyamoto may have created the series but I feel that Zelda as a whole is safer on Aunoma's hands and this interview is evidence of that, complex storyline, more dungeons, a more populated and interactive world, he is fixing everything the other Zeldas lacked while keeping the series formula we all love. Like everyone has said this four months will be a long wait.

Beezy

God's Hand said:
Wind Waker I understand, but Majora's Mask is the best Zelda game ever made.

I loved MM, but I have to disagree with you. The best is either LttP or OoT. I haven't played through the GBA ones, so I can't say anything about them.

Tiktaalik

Hopefully this means that the Hyrule field isn't as desolate as the ocean of Wind Waker and the horse != the boat. I was a bit scared that might be the case.

Flo_Evans

ah snap. Gamecube ownership justified once again. Zelda for some reason always makes me feel like a kid again^^

On the one hand, I wish they wouldn't take so long to make new ones. But on the other hand, I'm kind of glad we don't get a yearly Zelda release like splinter cell or tony hawk.

edit: damn, to pass the time until TP, I might have to go get the minnish cap. Sorry PSP!

oh and as far as my personal prefrence: LTTP > OoT > Zelda > WW

sadly I never played MM. Maybe they will do a pre-order bonus with this one? :D

AssMan

Banned
I still think Twightlight Princess could've worked cel shaded, if Link was a kid, of course.

I think MM had the best gameplay mechanics in any Zelda game. The clock idea was great, and added some great puzzles (not to mention the mini games, too). Just when I thought the game couldn't get any better when I was about to fight the final boss, you get sent to the moon and the environment was BEAUTIFUL. I don't know how Nintendo pulled off the effects, but it was great. Just one little tree, very quite, and you see these little kids playing around. In away, it was eerie.

I hope the next cel shaded Zelda takes a more of a Nightmare Before Christmas/Psychonauts look.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked

Yayyyy~~an 80 hour action game. Just another reason to steer clear of this stinker. Personally I'll stick with the Zelda's you can beat within a day yet still have infinite replay and fun value.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
human5892 said:
Glad to hear they know what went wrong with the Wind Waker, although I'm not sure why he wasn't completely happy with Majora's Mask, which I feel is the best game in the entire series.

some people are always critical of their work.

human5892 said:
That interview also makes it sound like the team decided independently to make Twilight Princess more realistic-looking, rather than having the negative reactions from some people to the cel-shading influence their decision. I wonder if that's completely true.

sounds like it is. they initially set out to make wind waker2 . but then shifted the project into a different direction. its probably where all those rumors came from .

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Lindsay said:
Yayyyy~~an 80 hour action game. Just another reason to steer clear of this stinker. Personally I'll stick with the Zelda's you can beat within a day yet still have infinite replay and fun value.
"The Zeldas"? That really only holds true for the first one. LttP, Link's Adventure, OoS/OoA, or Minish may be shorter than the newer ones comparatively, but they're hardly what I'd call short games...

Top Bottom