• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple and Google Capture U.S. Video Game Market Share in 2010

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
One thing to consider is the possibility os apple to open up the appletv to apps. Add in support for using any other iOS device for controls and it's gonna start encroaching on the traditional console turf.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Bitmap Frogs said:
One thing to consider is the possibility os apple to open up the appletv to apps. Add in support for using any other iOS device for controls and it's gonna start encroaching on the traditional console turf.
Apple TV has barely encroached into the market it is aimed at, it isn't gonna make it as a console anytime soon.

I find it odd that console gaming is growing in America while everywhere else in the world (I.E. Europe and Japan), consoles are dying and are being overtaken by handhelds.

Zizbuka

Banned
Seems to me phones have a 18-24 month lifespan, then people get a new one. Not sure that can sustain a high priced game market. People might be less apt to plop down $30 on a game, knowing it might not work on their next phone.

But, I guess the reality is people don't think sensibly in these cases.

Fredescu

Flying_Phoenix said:
I find it odd that console gaming is growing in America while everywhere else in the world (I.E. Europe and Japan), consoles are dying and are being overtaken by handhelds.
Handhelds are overtaking consoles in Europe? I honestly didn't know that. Do you have a link to further reading?

Why For?

Banned
Well I for one stopped using my PSP and DS pretty much as soon as I got my iPhone.

My dad who won't touch consoles actually plays games on his Galaxy S.

Whether Nintendo chooses to accept or not, smartphones are a threat. At least Sony have embraced them somewhat.

Fredescu said:
Handhelds are overtaking consoles in Europe? I honestly didn't know that. Do you have a link to further reading?

I wouldn't say "overtaking" but more so increasing much in popularity while consoles have experienced a huge drop in popularity. Chris1964 (or some mod) posted the LTD's for the sales of the current generation platforms and the last generation platforms in USA, Europe, and Japan. In the USA sales of consoles were up, however they free fell in Europe with handhelds increasing significantly.

I don't remember which thread it was but you have to trust me on this. I think Stump or Opiate was in it. So maybe they remember the name of the thread?

Zizbuka said:
Seems to me phones have a 18-24 month lifespan, then people get a new one. Not sure that can sustain a high priced game market. People might be less apt to plop down $30 on a game, knowing it might not work on their next phone.

But, I guess the reality is people don't think sensibly in these cases.

The vast majority of iOS games work across phones from years back.

Zizbuka

Banned
krypt0nian said:

No, they work across iphones. I have an iPhone now, but in August I plan on switching to Android. I'm gonna assume the nice people at PopCap and EA won't let me get free copies of their Android games.

However, I can still play my GBA games in a DS. That's the difference.

Burai

shitonmychest57
Zizbuka said:
No, they work across iphones. I have an iPhone now, but in August I plan on switching to Android. I'm gonna assume the nice people at PopCap and EA won't let me get free copies of their Android games.

That's not a difference at all. You're going from one platform to another. Why would you expect crossgrading? Did the nice people at company X give free copies of their PSP games to people moving from the GBA? Are PSP owners getting free games for their new 3DS'?

Utako

Banned
It isn't like iOS/Android are incapable of supporting life-changing titles from a technical standpoint.

Publishers and developers simply don't pay to have them made.

dream

Zizbuka said:

This is an incredible argument.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Utako said:
It isn't like iOS/Android are incapable of supporting life-changing titles from a technical standpoint.

Publishers and developers simply don't pay to have them made.
Because the app market, as set up, isn't designed to support them. In a store with 30000 games, it takes a lot of luck to stand out, and if you don't make it big you probably aren't going to make much of anything. People making games with big budgets don't like to rely on luck, and they want somewhat predictable returns.

Firestorm

krypt0nian said:
Unless you upgraded your OS like an idiot in which case nothing is worth playing. iPhone and iPhone 3G on iOS 4.0 is terrible.

Vinci

Danish
Captain Chaos said:
You're adding itself, I'm talking about the thread title.

Surely Nintendo are a general consumer electronics company as much as apple?

No. Nintendo is an entertainment company, not a consumer electronics company. There is, again, a difference.

Zizbuka said:

Umm don't jump platforms. Your GBA carts don't work on a PSP either. Point stands.

And guess what? You can still play your iPhone games on your iPhone.

Utako

Banned
Burai said:
That's not a difference at all. You're going from one platform to another. Why would you expect crossgrading? Did the nice people at company X give free copies of their PSP games to people moving from the GBA? Are PSP owners getting free games for their new 3DS'?
Horrible.

People generally don't change their handheld every 1-2 years. Or, if they do, they keep the previous ones.

People typically only have one phone, which they upgrade at a super fast rate, and possibly change mobile OS several times in a decade.

This is what I did, but I've been rocking smartphones long before the iPhone was a glimmer. I guess a lot of you around here are relatively new to the whole thing, from what I gather in the discussion.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Utako said:
Horrible.

People generally don't change their handheld every 1-2 years. Or, if they do, they keep the previous ones.

People typically only have one phone, which they upgrade at a super fast rate, and possibly change mobile OS several times in a decade.

This is what I did, but I've been rocking smartphones long before the iPhone was a glimmer. I guess a lot of you around here are relatively new to the whole thing, from what I gather in the discussion.

People upgrade at a superfast rate? Faster than the 2 year commitments they make to their carriers? I also don't think people will be changing OSs several time in a decade. Sure, in the past when people didn't spend significant money on software for a particular platform, that might be true. But I've spent $100s of dollars on iOS programs over the last few years. That's a pretty significant reason for me to stay with iOS.

starmud

tldr;

transition periods come. 3ds in its current form isn't fully able to compete with games on tablets and phones. it dosent offer anything near a like experience and i really believe nintendo and sony need to embrace and expand whats happening on the app stores to gain some control over the space.

the 3d effect is a good way of differentiating yourself from the other devices but they need to make the platform more open to smaller/mobile game devs while not devaluing full handheld games that cant complete on price. you have to connect yourself to normal users who may not think of purchasing a game console.

a good store front and gaming network could do all this. not to mention, they have a huge portfolio of games that could mix in aspects of social gaming and work really well with it. you could easily use a platform like facebook to your advantage with these games as a link to garner repeat play and as a self advertiser. people pushing the product to their friends directly via a tie in.

if anyone can look at the market and find a balance between the two it can be nintendo. they have the content to drive a handheld experience and to grab attention/time away from other devices. enough to gain a foot hold in the market to work with. they just need better tools and SOME openness in the platform to accept whats happening in the space. some devaluation of the content is inevitable. its not unfair to expect it to devalue some given the change in delivery. a different selling model could also come into effect that neglects any devaluation that the software takes.

for all the talk of the growth on these app stores, as many "scared" developers there are on the console space theres the same (if not more) on the app side. i really believe the first gaming company that can make a open enough platform to gain their attention can easily get the same product on their device but at a premium. such a developer could have a platform with much better choices in game creation when your working on a machine meant to play and sell only games. your not having to compete with every garbage or free apps plus content in every other category.

organization and exposure on these small devices and app stores is already a huge problem. fragmenting them is a better option. just because i own a pc that can play games didn't mean i was closed off to buying a device dedicated to only playing games. its about the experience and ease of use.

the more computer like and deeper the devices become, you'll most likely see peoples attitudes adapt to what the device is and what you expect in the content. app's are still almost all throw away purchases. buying a full software program is a different experience, in use and purchase.

the market and devices just aren't there yet and we have a huge growing space where everyone wants to create a market foundation to sell product on. changes like this only come every so often. these doom and gloom stories get really exaggerated instead of taking in whats happening. evolving and changing isn't the end of the world. this is a huge opportunity time. growth has lead to all this. change in growth isn't the end.

for all the talk of a one device future, its never come. no matter the tech. people want different experiences for different content. no one device, for as amazing as a plain simple touch screen can adapt to everything, will never be premium for all content delivery. games, out of everything moving to digital is the one type of content that needs the device experience to be in tandem with the content. games come with a built in selling point; how you play /experience the game. text can be displayed anywhere, audio and video and be taken in on almost any device.

just because we have angry birds, a modern snake... or tetris, dosent mean everyone who plays angry birds will only play games in that like experience. nor does it mean everyone who plays angry birds wants to buy and play games.

games, even if they are copy cat cheap apps, expose people to playing games. i fail to see how in the long term, thats bad for everyone in gaming. this industry can look at all this change coming and take in the new opportunity and tools its brought in for its own betterment.

Top Bottom